57 replies to this topic

#21 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:07 PM

i don't find the raven too slow, but i'm the only one i know who says that.

You could save up for a wolverine and buy one engine to share between it and a raven. i almost never buy engines though, simply reusing engines that came with stock mechs fits my way of life, that could work for you but idk how long it'd take for you to save up that much cbills.

Spoiler

Edited by HimseIf, 24 November 2014 - 06:10 PM.

#22 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:52 PM

Another thing to consider for later, when you go into the higher weight classes:

XL300 and XL285.

You will need them again and again.

View PostRevorn, on 24 November 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

Your welcome with all your Questions, :) even our Forumtrolls, wich can sometimes be a bit rough in the General Section, have an Heart of Gold, and jumping in, if someone wants some Tipps....

Who told you that?!!

#23 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

View Postmuskrat, on 24 November 2014 - 12:41 PM, said:

Salute Stuh421

2 firing tic's
tic 1 - Large Laser
tic 2 - med laser'

Bow
Muskrat

Muskrat-san, you made my eyes tear up. Last time I mentioned settings tics all I heard was grasshoppers :)

For the kiddies, tis Target Interlocking Circuits aka weapon groups, used with the FASA's Battletech: Solaris boardgame and GEnie's EGA MPBT 3025/MPBT Solaris/EA's MPBT 3025.

#24 stuh42l

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:19 PM

Thanks so far for the advice guys. I would love to buy the fire starter pack but can't song that kind of cash around the holidays so maybe a bit later. Going for the long grind to the wolverine 7k ama like the smart bet sharing the engine between them. Then I can decide whether to go buy more wolverines or Ravens.

I played a couple matches and did really well on two of them. So of course I got a big head and thought I was hot stuff. A Lance of mediums corrected that perception within 60 seconds for me on the next match so I'm better now!

Currently I'm running the raven firepower heavy since I have room from the small engine. Are the SRMs essentially rockets if not streak?

Also, is there any type of is vs clan going on? I'm a dirty sphere rat through and through. Always thought the clan with there reliance on better tech, aversion to melee, and genetically cloned boredom pilots to be infuriating. I feel the need to defend the great houses from this blight!

Also is melee planned for the game?

#25 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:36 AM

View Poststuh42l, on 24 November 2014 - 09:19 PM, said:

1) I played a couple matches and did really well on two of them. So of course I got a big head and thought I was hot stuff. A Lance of mediums corrected that perception within 60 seconds for me on the next match so I'm better now!

2) Currently I'm running the raven firepower heavy since I have room from the small engine. Are the SRMs essentially rockets if not streak?

3) Also, is there any type of is vs clan going on? I'm a dirty sphere rat through and through. Always thought the clan with there reliance on better tech, aversion to melee, and genetically cloned boredom pilots to be infuriating. I feel the need to defend the great houses from this blight!

1) we have all been there, you find a good loadout do exceplionaly well for a few games, get overconfidant, get killed horribly and fast a few games in a row (possibly because your ELO for that weight class has gone up meainig you are now up against better players)

2) SRMs are basicly dumb fire rockets, Streak SRMs will only fire with a lock and will hit unless taken out with AMS or you manage to put something between you and the missile, SRMs with Artimis spread out less.

3) Comunity warfare is due before the end of the year, you ally with a faction (e.g. House Davion or Clan Smoke Jaguar), the objective in CW is to conqure planets, so if for example you sign up with Steiner you may be fighting the Clans, Kurita or Marek. and you will ether attack an enemy planet or defend one of yours.
The plan is to be able to sign up with a faction for a limited contract or perminianly, if you sign up with an IS faction you will only be using IS mechs in CW same with Clans, Clan mechs only (but existing game modes will still be available allowing you to play any mech you own).
for more information about CW look at these posts from the guy in charge of developing it:
http://mwomercs.com/...arfare-phase-2/
http://mwomercs.com/...2-quick-update/
http://mwomercs.com/...update-sept-24/
http://mwomercs.com/...2-update-oct-8/
http://mwomercs.com/...pdate-oct-22nd/
http://mwomercs.com/...-update-nov-20/

#26 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 05:56 AM

Welcome to MWO!

Being new, you did the right thing by coming here with your questions. NEVER be afraid to ask any question here, because the people in these forums are happy to help.

It sounds to me, that you really like the Firestarter. It is a good mech for the play style you described, with the right loadout. Remember that you have experience built up for the 9S from using the trial. You COULD keep using the trial to grind out cbills. Light mechs like the Firestarter are cheaper to get the three chassis and get the basics for all three.

I have NO experience in a Wolverine, but I do see others running them all the time, in game. You have to learn what makes YOU happy in MWO, and even though grinding out cbills can get old...it is worth it when you get that mech that YOU like upgraded.

See ya on the battlefield.

#27 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 25 November 2014 - 07:42 AM

I started with the ravens back when we had repair and rearm and no cadet bonus. The one mistake I made was not purchasing a larger engine right away. Sure I ended up purchasing the 295 XL for the 3L and a 245XL for the 2x and 4X (They had a max engine size of 245 initially). Later after the 2x and 4x engine buff to a 275 limit, I would still run with the 245 XL at times, but I already had a few 275 and 280 XL's from other mechs.

Look at purchasing a larger XL engine with another mech. Normally there is one variant that has the XL engine already and this is the cheapest way to get an XL engine.

Mech bays. So far this year in the challenges I have recieved 8 mech bays where three included a centurion, thunderbolt and a victor. So there will be opportunities to earn mech bays without purchasing them for MC from time to time. From time to time they are onsale for 50% off.

Firestarters, augh. The evil little mechs should be nerfed. You have something with the firepower of a jenner that acts like a spider. 8 small pulse lasers to a rear side torso will end your match in a hurry.

Go to the trial mechs and test them. See which ones you have fun with, and roll with them. You just may find out you like a different play stile or weight class. I started in lights, went to assaults, down to heavies and then the mediums found me and I have not turned back.

Purchasing MC. Normally in December there will be an MC sale like the last two years. This is normally the only MC sale of the year. (we just had one with the launch of the karma coin card use, which breaks this string of only at christmas time.)

Package purchases. With the other stuff that is included or the purchase before this date bonuses these deals are very cost effective. The best part is you end up with one variant from each mech chassis that generates 30% more C-bills.

I have to look at the mastery packs a bit more before I am sold on them, but you are getting a hero at 30% more c-bills and the champion with 30% more XP. Then one of the other variants and a bunch of other stuff.

Completing the elite skills for the variants of a chassis. To do this you have to unlock 3 chassis variant basic skills. This doubles the basic skills for the mech and makes it a different mech after that point. Some mechs do not shine until this point.

Also look to purchase some weapon or mech modules, since they also affect how the mech plays. Depending on the mech that can be 18 million C-bills for the modules, but they can be shared between mechs. Now with dropship mode for community warfare and 4 mechs think of 72 million just in modules for the mechs. Your grind is just beginning.

Spending money on this game, is not mandatory, but does lessen the grind. One place that you might have to spend money is mech bays, other then that everything is just fluff. Think of a lime green, blaze orange and bright blue hunchback with a disco ball hanging in the cockpit, color light ball on the side and christmas lights around the glass.

#28 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:20 AM

I apologize, I didn't do a very good job of explaining the skills for your mechs, and how you need to unlock all of the basic skills for 3 mechs of the same chassis, 3 different Firestarters for example, before you can unlock the Elite skills.

I did this with 3 Commandos and it was a little rough.

Sometimes, when I was grinding out exp for them, I would swear that you can flick a BOOGER just right and kill my Commando. It does get better, because mechs start to shine after being elited...as someone mentioned earlier.

#29 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 November 2014 - 08:49 AM

View PostShaemus Shadow, on 25 November 2014 - 08:20 AM, said:

I apologize, I didn't do a very good job of explaining the skills for your mechs, and how you need to unlock all of the basic skills for 3 mechs of the same chassis, 3 different Firestarters for example, before you can unlock the Elite skills.

I did this with 3 Commandos and it was a little rough.

Sometimes, when I was grinding out exp for them, I would swear that you can flick a BOOGER just right and kill my Commando. It does get better, because mechs start to shine after being elited...as someone mentioned earlier.

Friggin' nose picker stormcrow streak-boats.

#30 stuh42l

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 12:51 PM

You guys are awesome. I am getting to like the raven more and more but it could use a bump in speed. I think I'll grind to the wolv7with the xl275 and use that in the raven. I don't think i will need max speed.

Couple random questions. Is an srm6 or 2ssrm2 better? I like the auto hit butt shot gun nature of the srm6 has saved my life twice already. Does the artemis make the normal srms fire in a tighter spray leading to more stikes on the same section?

Also with lasers, is the damage dealt over the entire beam time? To get the full 5 dam from a med laser would the entire beam have to stay on the same section? Alternatively do pulse laser do instant packets of dam like a machine gun would or is it mecahnically the same stream just grapically different?

#31 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:01 PM

Artemis will make your srm6 more accurate without a need to lock on to your enemy. Ssrms need a little time to lock and ecm may make it harder for you. Check the quirks for your chassis though, I am not familiar with Ravens and they may get a ssrm boost. Lasers need to be held on target for max effect. Pulse lasers do damage faster, and concentrate the damage on one spot, but heat you up faster than normal lasers. Use to YOUR preference there.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 25 November 2014 - 01:05 PM.

#32 stuh42l

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:04 PM

Also, can you customize the hero mechs or are they as is only?

#33 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:05 PM

View Poststuh42l, on 25 November 2014 - 01:04 PM, said:

Also, can you customize the hero mechs or are they as is only?

You can customize their loadout the same way you would any other IS 'Mechs, and you can change their camo colours, too. The only thing that's actually locked is the camo itself.

Edited by DEMAX51, 25 November 2014 - 01:07 PM.

#34 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:06 PM

You can definitely Customize Hero mechs to your taste.

EDIT: Go with what DEMAX51 says. :)

Edited by Shaemus Shadow, 25 November 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#35 stuh42l

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

Sweet thanks guys. I thought about getting the hero raven but hated the load out.

#36 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:01 PM

Hey, I don't think anyone has mentioned running the raven as a narc platform. It is a great way to grind c-bills while being an asset to the team. If you drop with LRM boats they will tear narc'ed mech to pieces and you get lots of bonuses for it. Throw an LRM 5 on your raven if you want in case your team doesn't have any LRM boats so you can get bonuses on your own or be an annoying presence from an unexpected angle. And narcs make mechs show up and targetable to your whole team without you needing to have LOS so it is good for information warfare.

#37 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:25 PM

View Poststuh42l, on 25 November 2014 - 01:56 PM, said:

Sweet thanks guys. I thought about getting the hero raven but hated the load out.

I haven't played it, but guys in my Unit have said it's decent with 2xSRM4 & 4xMG.

#38 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 November 2014 - 02:31 PM

Welcome to the game.

Others have given you good advice on Light Mechs, and especially, how a Hero Mech can help reduce the grind.

I will just mention that PGI will probably have a Black Friday sale this week. Last year at this time you could pick up the game currency (MC) at a discounted price. Even if PGI don't offer that again, I suspect you will probably be able to buy some of the Heroes cheaper.

If you're in the US, they're also offering somewhat discounted MC and rewards right now if you buy a Karma Koin card through PayPal. You will see a link of the main page of the website.

#39 stuh42l

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:01 PM

Thanks again. I have a NARC from the 3L that i hopefully didnt sell since the guide i was using told new to. Is it essentially tag permanently? Cause messing around with the stalker the tag seemed to help the team brutalize the enemy if i could keep it locked on.

#40 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 November 2014 - 03:25 PM

It is like tag but lasts for 30sec(?) so it is shoot it and forget it. So better than tag there but it doesn't overide ecm (unless they changed it when I wasn't looking). If you can get behind the enemy narc two or three mechs. The boats will take care of the rest :)

Ps. Thought it was only fair to warn you that if you do this properly you will be called horribl and nasty names by the OpFor.

Edited by 3xnihilo, 25 November 2014 - 03:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users