7 replies to this topic

#1 Suko

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

I was on Viridian Bog this weekend and noticed an issue that PGI might want to address.

My lance had taken the swampy plateu near the D4 hill. I started to take missile hits, even though I was pretty far back and am almost certain no one had LOS to me. I called for a UAV check, but we soon realized that the bloom effect from the sun when looking in the direction of the enemy team made it impossible to see ANYTHING in the sky.

I know that in reality this could be a cunning strategy to prevent the enemy from retaliating against their UAV. However, this is a game. I don't have the option to wear sunglasses, add tint to my mech's glass, or even shade my eyes with my hand to spot the UAV. Essentially, the UAV was impossible to spot or hit from our position and we had to retreat from the missile barrage.

I'm not sure if PGI is aware of this or not, but it gives an advantage to one side, but not the other.I hope PGI can take a look at this and do something to make it a bit more fair.

Edited by Suko, 24 November 2014 - 01:31 PM.

#2 Angel of Annihilation

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:45 PM

Yeah there is a huge advantage to the side with the sun behind them. Not only can they approach and climb the steps to the top of the hill without having to expose themselves to fire, but any mech coming from the other direction has to try to target through the sun glare.

#3 CygnusX7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:49 PM

All is fair in love and war.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 November 2014 - 01:50 PM

View PostSuko, on 24 November 2014 - 01:31 PM, said:

I was on Viridian Bog this weekend and noticed an issue that PGI might want to address.

My lance had taken the swampy plateu near the D4 hill. I started to take missile hits, even though I was pretty far back and am almost certain no one had LOS to me. I called for a UAV check, but we soon realized that the bloom effect from the sun when looking in the direction of the enemy team made it impossible to see ANYTHING in the sky.

I know that in reality this could be a cunning strategy to prevent the enemy from retaliating against their UAV. However, this is a game. I don't have the option to wear sunglasses, add tint to my mech's glass, or even shade my eyes with my hand to spot the UAV. Essentially, the UAV was impossible to spot or hit from our position and we had to retreat from the missile barrage.

I'm not sure if PGI is aware of this or not, but it gives an advantage to one side, but not the other.I hope PGI can take a look at this and do something to make it a bit more fair.

It really doesn't though...as you can use the sun to the same effect yourself.

Also, maybe I have not had to deal with it in the same locale, but by switching to Thermal,. I have always been able to pinpoint the UAV on viridian so far.

#5 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:03 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 24 November 2014 - 01:50 PM, said:

It really doesn't though...as you can use the sun to the same effect yourself.

Also, maybe I have not had to deal with it in the same locale, but by switching to Thermal,. I have always been able to pinpoint the UAV on viridian so far.

Though with thermals you dont really see the terrain and obstacle and the glare is only one of the problem with the map. Ive only played Viridian on my locust so far and it's a nightmare, the windshield is so glassy/dirty/scratchy/green that depending where i am on the map and what zoom i use i cant see out. I hate this map with a passion already just like ForestColony. I have been spectating people and they dont have the same problem with the windshield and at least can see out. At the very least remove the fog completely, theres no big and vast spaced to look at to kill your perf anyways.

Edited by DAYLEET, 24 November 2014 - 02:04 PM.

#6 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:06 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 24 November 2014 - 02:03 PM, said:

Though with thermals you dont really see the terrain and obstacle and the glare is only one of the problem with the map. Ive only played Viridian on my locust so far and it's a nightmare, the windshield is so glassy/dirty/scratchy/green that depending where i am on the map and what zoom i use i cant see out. I hate this map with a passion already just like ForestColony. I have been spectating people and they dont have the same problem with the windshield and at least can see out. At the very least remove the fog completely, theres no big and vaste spaced to look at to kill your perf anyways.

Oh, I agree, which is why I alternate vision modes. When scouting, I will switch to thermal for a look, then back and move, or if I am unsure if I saw movement.

Just Saying, so far in most instances, when I have had trouble spotting the UAV precisely, switching to thermal usually helps. It's certainly not (IMO) the best thing to stick to any one vision mode exclusively, in most matches, and TBH;as I am not sure if I have "lost a UAV" in the sun, tbh on this map, if it would help in this instance. Just saying so far, it has helped me.

#7 The Amazing Atomic Spaniel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 932 posts
  • LocationBath, UK

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:07 PM

DAYLEET, turn off the glass in your config file?

Edited by RocketDog, 24 November 2014 - 02:08 PM.

#8 DAYLEET

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 24 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

I kept the glass effect because i like it, on every mech and every other map than Viridian. While i hated the digital effect the glass suits me fine in feeling like im piloting a mech.

It realy is only a problem on my Locust on Viridian, that and the fact that all my weapon are next to my cockpit and blind me silly when i shoot both of them at the same times unless im in thermal vision. You would think a pilot somewhere would have told an engineer to put a muzzle flash hider on the mg's...

Edited by DAYLEET, 24 November 2014 - 02:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users