- - - - -

Friend An I Are Looking To Dive In

19 replies to this topic

#1 Odifma

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:12 PM

A friend and myself are looking to get into this game. We want to get pretty deep into the details of this game (if thats a decent way to put it haha)

IM a bit familiar with MW but id consider myself a scrub still.

Any tips for new players? and is there a guild type of system in this? We are pretty active players

#2 Shaemus Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

Welcome to you and your friend! There are factions you can join, and there are different groups that are recruiting players and are willing to train people.

There are other threads, that are dedicated to recruiting in these forums. I hope you enjoy MWO. See you on the battlefield...

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:39 PM

Yes, there is a guild system (generally referred to as "Units"). There is unit organization systems in place in the game client allowing you to create a unit, invite/remove players, set rank titles, set a MOTD, and deposit funds in a unit coffer.

We have a guides section full of useful information http://mwomercs.com/...uidestutorials/

And he best tios I can offer is to stop in here in New Player Help to ask questions :) you may also want to bookmark Smurfy Mechlab which is both a research tool and a mechlab building tool

Edited by Redshift2k5, 27 November 2014 - 02:42 PM.

#4 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 02:42 PM

lots of options for you and your friend! we have a broad range from pseudo roll play to casual and up to 100% competitive, if you like gritty details and enough customization to melt your brain, you have made the right choice!

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:45 PM

This is a great game but has a very steep learning curve, many units will be happy to help you learn.

some units are more focused on casual players, others are more competitive based, the unit I am part of has a good mix of player types (link in my signature) but I recommend doing a bit of research to see what you think will be a good fit before joining any unit.

with Community Warfare a few weeks away most units will be signing up with a faction so if you are only interested in a specific Clan (e.g. Clan Wolf) or Great House of the Inner Sphere (e.g. House Liao) then there is a section of the forum for ether. for CW you must chose a faction, naturly a house unit will be permanently allied to that house and will only be allow to use faction relevant Mechs (Clan or Inner Sphere) but Mercenary Corporations will likely keep changing loyalty between various factions. so if you want to use e.g. the Timber Wolf (Mad Cat) make sure you chose a Clan faction, where as the Atlas will only be available for Inner Sphere pilots

CW will have Mech restrictions but you will be able to play any Mech in the regular queues for the current 3 game modes

if you want to learn more about the factions look here
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Main_Page
or just ask specific questions

below are links to the various faction recruitment forums.

House Recruitment
http://mwomercs.com/...s-inner-sphere/

Clan Recruitment
http://mwomercs.com/...factions-clans/

Mercenary recruitment
http://mwomercs.com/...ons-merc-corps/

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 27 November 2014 - 03:55 PM

Keep in mind mech restrictions only apply to Community Warfare battles and not regular solo/group queue battles! But if you want to play CW content this may affect which types of mechs you should invest in.

#7 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:28 PM

You could tell us what exactly you think you need help with. Usual topics are:

User Interface (yes, it is not easy to use sometimes)
Building Mechs
How to pilot your mech
Equipment explanation (what does a NARC do? etc)
Tactics
Information about the Battletech universe
What are units for? What is community warfare?
Costs of the game

We could certainly direct you to appropriate thread and/or answer your questions.

Welcome, don´t let the "gg close" crowd discourage you.

Edited by Molossian Dog, 27 November 2014 - 04:28 PM.

#8 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:26 PM

Welcome to the game! I just wanted to echo a couple things: the learning curve is really steep with MWO, but don't get discouraged it is worth sticking it out. Also, I hear the group queue is especially brutal for 2 man teams, so look at the recruiting section linked above a lot of the groups are even happy to let non group members drop with them for some rounds so you can drop in a bigger group.

And feel free to consider this thread your new personal Q&A thread. And read through some of the rest of the forum. There are a lot of helpful people around here that would like to see you and your friend succeed. Good Luck Have Fun Mechwarrior!

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:35 PM

Welcome.

Normally I have a big post but I'm a bit pressed for time so I'll be back to check on this tomorrow.

Some quick things:

If it's fast, go for the legs. Keep track of which leg you crippled as shooting it after the fact is pointless; tear the other one off instead for the kill.
If you want it dead, hit the same spot over and over until it blows up, then another spot and another until it stops moving.
Most missiles need locks to be effective. Target with R, make sure that target will last before you fire. If you lose the lock, so does the missiles.

As for the guild system, there is.
They call it a Unit system. "Guild" is a pretty foreign term here, and "Clan" has a canon use to describe a number of 12 big factions and several 'outcast' factions that are invading the Inner Sphere (the other term for another cluster of factions).

(Edit: There are "12" main Clans... most of which the IS will never encounter as they sort of wipe each other out for various reasons, reduced to what I think is 8 or 9 at the time of the invasion with 4 invading and 4 or so remaining at the 'Pentagon' [Strana Mechty]. Eventually we'll encounter some of the others in the later 3050s to 3060s. In the mean time, the 'outcasts' include "Clan Wolf in Exile" and a number of others. Splinter-cells where parts of Clans split off.)

Units are done in the following categories:
IS: House (Liao / Capellan Confederation for example), Merc Unit,
Clan: Clan ("We are Clan Wolf, Children of Perez. We carry the honor of his name on our shoulders as our fathers did before."), Clan Loyalist (the Clan equivalent of mercs in terms of this game; units).
Lone Wolf: [solo; no affiliation, group-less. Though recent revelations leave whether or not this is still even a possibility to be in question].

Sadly I don't have a big writeup on the IS... but here is one on the Clans.
http://mwomercs.com/...97-theyre-here/

It does include a history which has some brief details on the IS as well.

And lots of vids. >.> Because vids. (None of those are done by me. ...sadly for me, great for you, 'cause I haven't done any good lore vids yet).

Edit 2:
To mention it, these are the evident faction conditions at the impending start of CW (the bigger and main 'game' of MWO that is still forth-coming) as of the last screenshot.
Posted Image
Current conditions according to Battletech (Megamek) for this exact day.
Posted Image
(And yes, this is implying that the houses of Steiner and Davion are working on or currently merging / combining forces, where MWO's version still has them separate.)

In the spoiler are the conditions of 3035, which is the time line that my personal campaign is running in. You might notice a huge difference in the powers.
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 27 November 2014 - 07:07 PM.

#10 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:35 AM

oh nice, maybe i'll join the pheripheral states. Or i might join liao, they seem to lack numbers (i might be wrong).

#11 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:54 AM

Unfortunately the peripheral states are not in the game. those planet dot maps Koniving shows are from MegaMek which, while very entertaining on its own, doesn't really have anything to do with MWO except for being based on the exact same lore (BattleTech).

#12 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:55 AM

I´d like to underline that it can be very, very hard for a two man team of new players in the group queue.

Please don´t be surprised or disheartened when you get your posteriors handed to you several times.

A team composed of several small groups are at a disadvantage (mostly because they do not share communication) versus big groups of 8-10 men regardless of player experience. For new players it is even harder, I guess.

The group queue is a shark tank.

#13 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 28 November 2014 - 08:37 AM

View PostKoniving, on 27 November 2014 - 06:35 PM, said:

<words and pics and stuff>

FTR, this really is a short post from Koniving. Yes it's longer than any other currently in this thread, and will remain the longest unless and until Koniving comes back.

Or in other words, the only time you shouldn't listen to Redshift2K5 is if Koniving disagrees with him ;)

**edit** Grammerz und spelins iz harrde

Edited by Nick Makiaveli, 28 November 2014 - 08:38 AM.

#14 Odifma

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 10:21 PM

WOW! HOLY SH** thats alot of information to take in haha. I DEFINITELY appreciate all the info and will read it tonight :) Didnt realise how hardcore this game was. Kinda speechless haha. Thanks again guys :)

#15 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:41 AM

View PostOdifma, on 28 November 2014 - 10:21 PM, said:

WOW! HOLY SH** thats alot of information to take in haha. I DEFINITELY appreciate all the info and will read it tonight :) Didnt realise how hardcore this game was. Kinda speechless haha. Thanks again guys :)

That feeling you're experiancing is called "Archive Panic" and it's entirely natural. ;) This game is the latest installment in a franchise that's been running for close to 30 years. More than long enough for the assorted factions to develop their own dedicated followings with their own unique personalities and stereotypes.

If you're looking for help you're in the right space. Good luck and welcome to the forums. Hope to see you around.

PS: Please don't join Liao as Capellians (with the exception of the St Ives Compact) are a bunch of dirty commies :P

#16 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:46 AM

View PostHlynkaCG, on 29 November 2014 - 12:41 AM, said:

[/size]

That feeling you're experiancing is called "Archive Panic" and it's entirely natural. ;) This game is the latest installment in a

Be careful opening that link though - that website will ruin your life :ph34r:

Edited by Shar Wolf, 29 November 2014 - 12:46 AM.

#17 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 29 November 2014 - 12:51 AM

I assume you and your friend are already on comms. If not, get TeamSpeak and get on a server. I recommend Comstar NA at;

na1.mech-connect.net

It's pretty active there and there are a lot of groups looking for new players.

Good luck and happy hunting.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:36 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 29 November 2014 - 12:46 AM, said:

Be careful opening that link though - that website will ruin your life :ph34r:

You realize that by taking a reference to the original link and introducing him to another TV trope with a warning that it will ruin his life, you've effectively made a Chekov's Gun.

(If there is a gun on the wall on the first chapter, by the second or third chapter it will be fired; The introduction of an object into the story that will have almost no meaning at the time but will become important at some point later on when it is brought up again.)

The link to TV tropes is there, he'll look it over even if he doesn't actually click it. Now that it's introduced into the plot, you have come along relinking to the website to another definition saying that it will ruin his life...and sure enough now it is almost certain to do so.

#19 Nick Makiaveli

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:07 PM

View PostKoniving, on 29 November 2014 - 05:36 AM, said:

You realize that by taking a reference to the original link and introducing him to another TV trope with a warning that it will ruin his life, you've effectively made a Chekov's Gun.

(If there is a gun on the wall on the first chapter, by the second or third chapter it will be fired; The introduction of an object into the story that will have almost no meaning at the time but will become important at some point later on when it is brought up again.)

The link to TV tropes is there, he'll look it over even if he doesn't actually click it. Now that it's introduced into the plot, you have come along relinking to the website to another definition saying that it will ruin his life...and sure enough now it is almost certain to do so.

Damn you Koniving.....that's an hour I won't ever get back....

#20 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 30 November 2014 - 10:29 AM

Apologies for dragging this off topic :blush:

Feel free to butt in any time with questions or comments. B)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users