Changing Clan Pattern Colors

25 replies to this topic

Poll: Changing Clan Camo Colors (57 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to have the option to fully paint Clan Camos?

1. Yes! I want to see it. (52 votes [91.23%])

Percentage of vote: 91.23%

2. No, the camos are fine the way they are. (5 votes [8.77%])

Percentage of vote: 8.77%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,583 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:11 PM

This topic is about have the ability to change the colors of your Clan Camo.

The way how these schemes work is that you can apply a camo, but only change one color:
Posted Image

These schemes have their own pros and cons when you see what they are about. On a role-playing aspect, it is a good way to represent your faction for Community Warfare. However, on a personal aspect it is disappointing for players who expected to add their own twist to the schemes or wanted to represent their units. This especially goes for people who paid to have these camos just for that fact alone.

Theoretically, a Clan unit can incorporate their scheme to another unit. One example is an Alpha Galaxy Cluster from Clan Smoke Jaguar who fought Clan Coyote and lost. As a result, the former Smoke Jaguar unit, the 246th Striker Cluster wore the colors of their new clan in Omicron Galaxy while still retaining their scheme. So I don't see why this shouldn't be an option.

So do you support the option to paint over clan camos, or do you like them just the way they are?

Edited by Will9761, 10 December 2014 - 03:25 PM.

#2 101011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

Yes, yes, yes, absolutely. There has never before been any case of a pattern having colors locked to it, and it is not the kind of surprise I wanted dumped into my lap when I received my product. My unit runs black as a primary color, and yet here I am with my camo that does not represent my unit. Please, please, please, let me run my unit colors on this amazing pattern!
CGB Alpha:
Spoiler

CGB Delta:
Spoiler

CGB Omega:
Spoiler

CGB Kappa:
Spoiler

CGB Tau:
Spoiler

Edited by 101011, 10 December 2014 - 12:54 PM.

#3 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts
  • LocationPort Torture, Washington, USA

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:56 PM

meh... I want mine to get fully unlocked so I can use all 3 of them, not just ghost bear

#4 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:01 PM

View PostUminix, on 10 December 2014 - 12:56 PM, said:

meh... I want mine to get fully unlocked so I can use all 3 of them, not just ghost bear

How many Faction Content choices did you have? They are only locked if you didn't make selections via the website and your profile or if you aren't owed them.

#5 GeistHrafn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 450 posts
  • LocationMB, Canada

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:35 PM

I really don't understand the decision to lock them. PGI wants to make money from us. Being able to paint the clan skins how we want them will DIRECTLY influence people buying new paints to do so, which costs MC for the most part.

#6 ThatGuy539

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 372 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:41 PM

Between making more money on paint, the fact that everyone seems to want this, and the fact that they don't sound too opposed to making the change, I think chances are good that we'll be seeing this change soon. :D

#7 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationA hop, skip and jump from Terra

Posted 10 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

View PostThatGuy539, on 10 December 2014 - 01:41 PM, said:

Between making more money on paint, the fact that everyone seems to want this, and the fact that they don't sound too opposed to making the change, I think chances are good that we'll be seeing this change soon. :D

If by soon you mean "Q1", then you are probably right, but I see it getting thrown by the wayside if we do not keep the pressure on them to do so. Dennis seems like he wants to keep it locked, so until we get an official "we are doing it" from him and/or Russ, it needs to keep getting attention.

#8 CdtWeasel

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:19 PM

I am fine with the camo's the way there are. I had hoped to change the colors originally. But now that I see tat they are shiny and sparkley colored like the Arrows color, I don't mind.

#9 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostDarthRevis, on 10 December 2014 - 01:01 PM, said:

How many Faction Content choices did you have? They are only locked if you didn't make selections via the website and your profile or if you aren't owed them.

I had 4, I chose ghost bear, ghost bear, jade falcon and smoke jaguar

#10 Alaric Wolf Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 678 posts
  • LocationAbove the charred corpse of your 'Mech.

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:01 PM

View PostRhazien, on 10 December 2014 - 01:35 PM, said:

I really don't understand the decision to lock them. PGI wants to make money from us. Being able to paint the clan skins how we want them will DIRECTLY influence people buying new paints to do so, which costs MC for the most part.

This argument is invalid, as everyone with these paint schemes paid for them as part of the package.

View PostCimarb, on 10 December 2014 - 02:05 PM, said:

If by soon you mean "Q1", then you are probably right, but I see it getting thrown by the wayside if we do not keep the pressure on them to do so. Dennis seems like he wants to keep it locked, so until we get an official "we are doing it" from him and/or Russ, it needs to keep getting attention.

I 100% agree. Granted, I may have seemed a little hostile in the thread where we brought this up, although I think I was justified in calling "bullshit," given that I asked politely, and got a response that essentially was "No, this is exactly what you paid for," when NO ONE though it would be locked in buying the packs. I actually searched the entire page before purchasing to make sure there was no hidden information about the faction content. Not even a hint that something would be different this time around.

Edited by Alaric Wolf Kerensky, 10 December 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#11 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:18 PM

View PostAlaric Wolf Kerensky, on 10 December 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

I 100% agree. Granted, I may have seemed a little hostile in the thread where we brought this up, although I think I was justified in calling "bullshit," ...

If you had not seemed hostile, though, I doubt he would have responded at all. Unfortunately, you have to poke the bear to get it to bite sometimes...

#12 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:37 PM

View PostAlaric Wolf Kerensky, on 10 December 2014 - 05:01 PM, said:

This argument is invalid, as everyone with these paint schemes paid for them as part of the package.

I 100% agree. Granted, I may have seemed a little hostile in the thread where we brought this up, although I think I was justified in calling "bullshit," given that I asked politely, and got a response that essentially was "No, this is exactly what you paid for," when NO ONE though it would be locked in buying the packs. I actually searched the entire page before purchasing to make sure there was no hidden information about the faction content. Not even a hint that something would be different this time around.

Well, if you ask politely and get a polite response you don't like... typically it would be best to continue pursuing the matter politely... otherwise you are escalating a polite situation without need. Otherwise it is basically a tantrum.

I am glad they responded to the rest of your post though as it was well laid out and conveyed the message well. I fully expect the change will occur when they get time after the holidays... I mean it would help sell more patterns to others in the future and it doesn't seem to add much even for the ardent early adopters... so hard to see them doing otherwise honestly.

View PostCimarb, on 10 December 2014 - 05:18 PM, said:

If you had not seemed hostile, though, I doubt he would have responded at all. Unfortunately, you have to poke the bear to get it to bite sometimes...

That's pretty damn cynical considering how well they have been acting post IGP split. I mean honestly, they have mucked up pretty hard in the past, but they have been working really hard and delivering a lot lately. A little credit is due.

#13 Cimarb

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,912 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 05:39 PM

View PostJetfire, on 10 December 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

That's pretty damn cynical considering how well they have been acting post IGP split. I mean honestly, they have mucked up pretty hard in the past, but they have been working really hard and delivering a lot lately. A little credit is due.

I give them tons of credit all over these forums, but I also call them out when it is needed.

Question: who got the response from Dennis? A positive post or negative one?

#14 MuFasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 287 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:23 PM

Again I think the issue isn't whether or not you can change all the colors or one or even none in the camo patterns. I certainly want to be able to change them all. But that's my personal opinion. I think the issue lies in the fact that no mention of this, what many would perceive is a major change in paints schemes was made before people had to make an irreversible choice. It is to me a fairly simple jump to make that all other paint schemes you can change the colors on and since there is no mention otherwise in this instance I should be able to here as well. That is a completely simple and fair conclusion that I think almost everyone made.

PGI had their reasons for making it not so. Which you know that is within their right. I think the mistake was made in not providing the "change" in how they would be handled even if only this "one time." That information should have been out there from the beginning and not left as some surprise.

#15 RustyBolts

• The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:36 PM

A lot of pilots made their faction choices based on the assumption that the camo patterns worked like all the other camo patterns, me included.

If the plan was to lock these patterns I would have been fine with that, had I known up front. And had I known up front my choices would have been different. Either way, with the colors locked I will not be able to use these patterns due to my unit rules of running certain colors.

#16 101011

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 1,393 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, on a small blue-green planet orbiting a small, unregarded yellow sun.

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:32 PM

View PostJetfire, on 10 December 2014 - 05:37 PM, said:

Just going to point out that this post got more likes than Alaric's, and they were 2 posts apart. Who got the reply?:

View Post101011, on 09 December 2014 - 05:53 PM, said:

I chose my faction content under the assumption that I would be able to customize the patterns. While I do appreciate the pack (really, I do), my unit's colors utilize black, blue, and tertiary white. My Ghost Bear camo does not, in fact, represent my unit. I think that it should be left to the units and the consumers to determine what they use their patterns for. Please reconsider your decision.

Edited by 101011, 10 December 2014 - 07:32 PM.

#17 tripsangel

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts
  • LocationUSA, WA

Posted 10 December 2014 - 07:39 PM

from the MWO newsletter i got in my e-mail today: "It's also worth noting that the faction pattern color schemes are not customizable at this time. However, due to popular demand, we will aim to add this feature in the new year."

#18 AWOL 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 347 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 10 December 2014 - 08:54 PM

100% Yes on the poll. Interesting... I posted this when they announced all of this in the topic "Important Details Regarding Faction Content." I thought I'd post it here as well to show my support.

View PostAWOL 01, on 09 December 2014 - 07:45 PM, said:

First, I would like to say thank you to PGI for releasing the patch early, it's great to see you're all working hard at improving this great game and making the players' experience better. There were a few problems (the Gargoyle Polygon Camo not showing up, some of the camo names were wrong, having to pay for Mad Dog camos, etc.), but it's better to get these worked out before CW is released. In the future I would be fine with waiting longer for patches and having them be completed though, there's no need to rush. :)

I can see where everyone is a little frustrated about the camos. I just checked in and immediately patched so I could play with my brand new camos. Customizing my mechs is one of my favorite things to do, so I was very disappointed to see there was very little I could do to change it. I can see your reasoning, but I felt very misled by what I had seen before the content was released. First, this hasn't been done with camos before, so it was completely unexpected. Second, when choosing, there were 3 colors included with each pattern, so naturally I assumed I could use these for each of the 3 color options on each pattern. Again, I realize this was done for the sake of uniformity for the factions. However, some players aren't going to be as involved in CW as others or don't care as much about using faction appropriate colors. Some just play for enjoyment, and part of that is being able to customize your mech. If a player wants to run "Battletech Universe appropriate colors" then they can run the patterns as they are. But by locking them, you're taking away the customization factor for others. I understand you are all busy with CW at the moment, but please give us the ability to change the colors sometime in the near future. You have all been doing an amazing job with this game, and I know you'll do what's best for the community. :)

Edited by AWOL 01, 11 December 2014 - 09:25 AM.

#19 Stormfury

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 89 posts
  • LocationThe Verse!

Posted 11 December 2014 - 05:45 AM

View PostUminix, on 10 December 2014 - 03:38 PM, said:

I had 4, I chose ghost bear, ghost bear, jade falcon and smoke jaguar

I'm still confused what we 'got' if we chose the same selection multiple times. Would this have given me the ability to put the camo pattern on a Wave 1 mech? Ie. 4 x Ghost Bear = All Wave 2, Plus Mad Dog, + 3 more to distribute?

#20 Ridir Semii

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 499 posts

Posted 11 December 2014 - 08:26 AM

View PostStormfury, on 11 December 2014 - 05:45 AM, said:

I'm still confused what we 'got' if we chose the same selection multiple times. Would this have given me the ability to put the camo pattern on a Wave 1 mech? Ie. 4 x Ghost Bear = All Wave 2, Plus Mad Dog, + 3 more to distribute?

if you chose 4 of the same, you got 3 colors, 1 camo spec and 12 cockpit items, none of the wave 1 are eligible for these camos yet, only wave 2 and Mad dog

Edited by Uminix, 11 December 2014 - 08:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users