What everyone opinion on respawns?

118 replies to this topic

Poll: Respawns (191 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of them?

1. Hate Them. (108 votes [50.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.70%

2. Dont Mind them. (63 votes [29.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 29.58%

3. HATE HATE HATE those that leave when they die and rejoin when no respawn is on. (42 votes [19.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.72%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 ManDaisy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,272 posts
  • LocationKing Of Flower Beds

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

I personally hate it cause it creates "unrealistic mechs" and unrealistic tactics.

#2 Zureal

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 97 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

Ever Play EvE online? Yea, i think it should be like that, u lose ur mech, well to bad, u have to haule ur *** back to base n get your spare.

#3 Duncan Aravain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 416 posts
  • LocationBehind you with a sharp tool...er,mech

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:51 PM

Zureal nailed it. You go boom; out of the room. MWO better have real penalties or it's just another limp MMO.

#4 Kristof Bowen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:52 PM

Respawn is fine as long as you don't have spawn camping.

It is just another form of play.

#5 Phades

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 08:53 PM

If just a simple death match, then no re-spawns or reinforcements should occur. It should be a small engagement 4v4 tops and a time limit with options for yielding before moving onto the next match. Conceptually, you don't want to have folks in obs mode for the majority of their time logged in as it gets rather boring.

In other objective based missions, the focus should be on the objective rather than simply killing the opponent. Simulated respawning through fixed assets and potential reinforcement waves (player exit and others joining, or staggered entry in real time due to match session completion variation). For example, your lance finished the previous mission faster than other allies and opposing forces, so you take the field first. Your drop ship contains 8 mechs and X support vehicles. Allow folks to resupply or exchange machines when entering the drop ship. Allow for hot drops at specific time windows per session or a maximum limit per match. Give the pilot a reason to eject rather than simply stay with the machine by allowing support forces (npc?) to recover and return the pilot to the drop ship (takes time) and select a different machine. If the asset on the field is not entirely destroyed, also allow for an infield transfer between machines (forward base concept, but the players have to manually do this themselves.)

There are countless possibilities, it just depends entirely on what the programming resources that are available and how complex of a system they want to implement. The "simple" solution is to just respawn the machine with the pilot assuming map objectives are not met.

#6 Longhorn

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 35 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:01 PM

Dead men tell no tails. Dead is dead. no second chance. Fail is fail. Tell me of a battle where someone was touched by the hand of there "God" to fight again because they were too stupid the first time to follow orders? No re-spawn. If it is like OMG you suck, try again. I never seen that in any MW game.

#7 DocBach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,828 posts
  • LocationSouthern Oregon

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

You blow up, you get a cool screen showing your mangled 'Mech and how much its going to cost to fix it. Fix it if you got the money while you wait for the next drop.

#8 CaveMan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts
  • LocationIn a leather flying cap and goggles

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:12 PM

No respawns, no joining in the middle of the match (UNLESS there is some kind of agreed-upon reinforcements system put into place)

#9 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:15 PM

no respawns, no rejoining . No spawn camping and folk will appreciate they get 1 shot at this. If lag or DC kills you well, just suck it up and get on with life.

#10 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:21 PM

This is mechwarrior, not magical warrior. The closest I will agree with is round based re-spawn ala Counter-strike for objective based games where you have to win like say 3 out of 5 games to win but anything else is no way at all !

#11 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

View PostBloody, on 22 November 2011 - 09:15 PM, said:

If lag or DC kills you well, just suck it up and get on with life.

I'd say treat disconnects as retreats. You still have to pay for repairs on any damage you took, and whoever did the most damage to you gets partial kill credit, to discourage people from bugging out to protect their stats.

#12 Phades

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:33 PM

View PostDocBach, on 22 November 2011 - 09:09 PM, said:

You blow up, you get a cool screen showing your mangled 'Mech and how much its going to cost to fix it. Fix it if you got the money while you wait for the next drop.

Have fun waiting for your other squad mates that you regularly play with. ^_^

I would sincerely hope that the core game is not designed around instant action random groupings.

View Post[EDMW]CSN, on 22 November 2011 - 09:21 PM, said:

This is mechwarrior, not magical warrior. The closest I will agree with is round based re-spawn ala Counter-strike for objective based games where you have to win like say 3 out of 5 games to win but anything else is no way at all !

By the same logic, there shouldn't be rounds between the same group of players at all in the same series of matches. (Note: this would kill any notion of organized competitive play as well.)

Edited by Phades, 22 November 2011 - 09:35 PM.

#13 Cyber Carns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 203 posts
  • LocationArc Royal

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

View PostZureal, on 22 November 2011 - 08:49 PM, said:

Ever Play EvE online? Yea, i think it should be like that, u lose ur mech, well to bad, u have to haule ur *** back to base n get your spare.

Could not agree more. Good way to handle that.

#14 UncleKulikov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 752 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

Both types of respawning should be included, but for different game modes.

Respawning should be limited to minimal profit, no salvage deathmatches and objective matches for fun.

No respawn games should be the core of the progression experience with salvage and profits to upgrade your gear.

#15 Traejun DiSanctis

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:59 PM

I don't mind certain game types with respawns - i.e. multi-round games or plain kill-count type games. Otherwise, one mech per pilot per round.

#16 Psydotek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 745 posts
  • LocationClan 'Mechs? Everywhere? GOOD!

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

Oh noes, someone let me vote for all 3 choices in the poll! ^_^

Now the question is how do we treat griefing? It's bad enough that you'll have to pay for repairs after the mission. What's to stop players from turning your downed 'mech (that simply had it's leg shot out but all other systems are in perfect condition) into a molten pile of slag that can't be salvaged, forcing you to essentially pay for a completely new 'mech?

#17 Traejun DiSanctis

• PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:07 PM

View PostPsydotek, on 22 November 2011 - 10:04 PM, said:

Now the question is how do we treat griefing? It's bad enough that you'll have to pay for repairs after the mission. What's to stop players from turning your downed 'mech (that simply had it's leg shot out but all other systems are in perfect condition) into a molten pile of slag that can't be salvaged, forcing you to essentially pay for a completely new 'mech?

There is nothing you can do about that. People are going to be asshats. That's the end of it. Such is life.

#18 CaveMan

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:11 PM

Now the question is how do we treat griefing?

Player reputation stat. You can make one up/down vote per player each day, limited by the voter's IP address. If somebody with a hugely negative rep shows up, you'll know not to join a game with them.

#19 Kudzu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the SEC

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

Eject?

#20 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:13 PM

no such thing as griefing in a pvp game. You are there to kill them and they are there to kill you. Your choices are kill them, get killed and lost everything or avoid them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users