Cataphract 4X Advice (Post-Quirkening)

20 replies to this topic

#1 SA Baxter

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:30 AM

So I haven't played in a very long time, and it seems like the quirk update has made my Ctf 4x a bit less efficient than it could be. My current build is 2xac10+2xML, plus 3 tons spare to fit an LRM 5+1 ton of ammo, but with the quirks it seems like I could get a lot more out of it with quad AC5's.

How would something like this work? I'm not terrible confident in the game so that's why I'm asking. Haven't quite gotten the hang of what works and what doesn't.

#2 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:55 PM

With that much ammo you dont need small lasers. I'd drop the small lasers and a half ton of leg armor for AMS. Or use the tonnage for more ammo for community warfare. Its otherwise almost the same build I use.

#3 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:38 PM

well that looks formiable i use this build to be fair i made this prequirk and its still not bad
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...25d8df3fbb72a17

and this is an edited version with\ ams that iv started useing
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...03a301d51be1651

and remember if you dont like the armor layout feel free to rearrange it

#4 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:49 PM

Your build is fine. Only thing I would recommend is spreading out that torso ammo a bit. 1 in the head, 1 in each arm, 1 in the torso (or half in each torso). Keep the SLs for 12 vs. 12, but in CW they're not really needed. If you run out of ammo you might as well just eject.

#5 dr bongstorm

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

View PostSA Baxter, on 15 December 2014 - 02:30 AM, said:

How would something like this work? I'm not terrible confident in the game so that's why I'm asking. Haven't quite gotten the hang of what works and what doesn't.

This'll work fine. Ignore Kosmos's builds.

IMO - The Jager and IM triple UAC 5 builds are a little bit better, but the 4xAC5 build will work fine while you are working on the chassis.

#6 Ted The Prussian Striker

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:53 PM

Short answer: Yes, this can still work.

However: When I first started this build roughly 15 Months ago, I once did 10 kills and 1000+ damage with a variant of that build (taking into account my aiming skills, that probably included one or two ammo explosions). In that match and a lot of similar ones, this build went like a knife through warm butter through the enemy company. There was basically nothing that could stop you one-on-one. Nowadays you die alot faster and the recent Meta mechs do even more damage and move faster than you. Due to the recent quirks it gets a lot better, but still you are awfully slow and hence quite vulnerable. So to be successful in this build, you need to position yourself very carefully. In fact, I find the 4x more useful in CW defense.

#7 UnHolyLegion

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:02 PM

I ran the 4X for a bit but I couldnt get over those knuckle-dragging arms >.>

#8 kosmos1214

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • 776 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 04:46 PM

View PostUnHolyLegion, on 16 December 2014 - 01:02 PM, said:

I ran the 4X for a bit but I couldnt get over those knuckle-dragging arms >.>

its very much the hard part to get used to after that its a fun mech that a lot of people underestimate it heck i kill timber wolfs in mine every now and then in a 1v1 fight but if you cant get used to the low arms its not going to do well

Edited by kosmos1214, 17 December 2014 - 04:46 PM.

#9 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 05:03 PM

2 AC5's one LPL and a SRM4 make a decent build also.

But quad AC5s is one of the most effective builds for the 4x, which by the way was my 1st mech bought with my cadet bonus so many moons ago....

#10 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:32 AM

Since I got my Cata all elited plus some time in slower assaults the 4x post quirks has become my most deadly mech. I have had to switch 1 ac5 to an ac2 just to get more ammo. With full modules you are throwing out 20 pts of almost pinpoint damage at the almost the speed and distance of ac2s (well far and fast). Remember to keep 1 weapon group to chainfire and then you can machine gun lead lights. I have won staring contest with both Clan and IS Assaults (lost some too). Just forget anything but ammo as extras, including the laser harpoints. Your best distance is 300-900m with cover on your sides and close enough to your friends that you do not get over run.

I am using this in my drop deck for both attack and defense for the first push past the gates supporting the other heavies and clearing lanes. Folks will jump out at you at first, but when the position clicks you can really make them change their minds. I am aggressive at first until shoulders turn red and then I have to fall back some more. I have just found that I am smaller and faster than many Assaults, but still have the firepower to influence the push. Just get the thing fully mastered though.

Also embrace you inner troll and aim for the head in a shoot out. You will be surprised at their new found lack of accuracy.

#11 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:48 AM

4x AC5 plus quirks is the way to go. Put an advanced zoom module and dakka them away.

#12 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

From my opinion the best way how to run 4x is biggest XL engine - 4xAC5 + 2xML . . . . thats all what you need :)

It´s one from my favourite mechs!

#13 DaddyP1G

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 89 posts
  • LocationPA, USA

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:22 AM

I leveled with that build without ever purchasing Dheat sinks or spending skill points. I just played and played and realized i had like 40k exp on it.

#14 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 07:13 PM

Do not add the Mlas - if you need them it is because you ran out of ammo. If you have ammo, they have a hard time getting close enough to you to need them.

It was a moderate trade before the quirks, you will need the ammo now.

#15 Phra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

What everyone said, 255XL, 4x AC5s with 9 tons of ammo and you are good to go. Left arm one group, right arm another. Put em on chain fire and start firing one of the sides just as the first shot went off on the other will result in an endless stream of cockpit shaking dakka!

Once you run outta ammo, you are useless either way, 2 lazors won't help it.

Edited by Phra, 22 December 2014 - 07:54 AM.

#16 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

View PostPhra, on 22 December 2014 - 07:53 AM, said:

What everyone said, 255XL, 4x AC5s with 9 tons of ammo and you are good to go. Left arm one group, right arm another. Put em on chain fire and start firing one of the sides just as the first shot went off on the other will result in an endless stream of cockpit shaking dakka!

Once you run outta ammo, you are useless either way, 2 lazors won't help it.

Actually, 2 lasers will make a difference. I had that match once, I know I've posted it somewhere. 8 tons of ammo a pair of SLs. Chain-fire has it's purposed, but link-fire is much more devastating, so have both set up.

#17 SA Baxter

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:08 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to look into mediums for the moment as heavies with low slung arms seem to be anathema to me, or at least until I get more confident with positioning and knowing the maps.

#18 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:10 PM

Here's an slightly different option from the XL Quad AC 5: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...86d859492813cf3

#19 Misha vrn

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:36 PM

I run 2x Gauss, 1x ERLLas, max XL engine + 7 tonn of ammo. All range-no heat-no ammo explosion sniper. Low arms? Yes. But pract can actually move them, and if you trained well enough, light mechs will just pop in tight firefights.
Hot maps? Great!
CW defense? Insane! newer had less than 800 dmg.

#20 Phra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 233 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:55 AM

View PostSA Baxter, on 22 December 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

Thanks for the advice. I think I'm going to look into mediums for the moment as heavies with low slung arms seem to be anathema to me, or at least until I get more confident with positioning and knowing the maps.

If you like the idea behind the 4X, try the triple uac DD Jager, it's pretty much the same dps on a much better suited chassis.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users