20 replies to this topic

#1 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:41 AM

Hi All FRR Bros and Sisters (if we have any):

Been fighting all weekend against mostly Clans and mostly in Leoben as part of the 1RDR. We were successful in repelling most "zerg rushes" except for the "-MS- Ghostbears" who were extremely good at focusing fire and dropping us defenders 1 by 1 in rapid sequence.

Anyway, here are my tips that seem to work consistently at blunting the Zerg Rush:
  • Set up the line of fire along the most likely route (e.g. to the right of beta gate for cold map) and have some heavies blockading their rush route while meds and lights hit them from behind as they move in. Flow back to Omega/Cannon as they push inward.
  • Make them eat arti strikes as they come through the gate! Great for reducing armor on the legs.
  • Don't worry about killing them. Just leg the mech and then leg the next one, etc. If you have the cannons just shoot legs and let someone else get the kills.
  • Forget LRMs. Bring Ballistics! Really. They have too much ecm and missiles have limited stopping power.
  • Regarding the above, I like multiple UAC5s for their rapid fire rate and range. I note that legs are the one place most people reduce armor so it doesn't take alot of hits to leg a Stormcrow.
  • Pack as much ammo as you can fit in there without sacrificing armor. General rule of thumb is 3 tons of ammo for each UAC5.
Dropship loadout "Dakka in your face" (240 ton limit):
  • King Crab 4UAC5s, 3MLs and something like 13 tons of ammo (11 heatsinks, runs hot)
  • Ilya Maurits 3 UAC5s 3MLs and 10 tons ammo
  • Yen Lo Wang 2 UAC5s 2MLs and 5 or 6 tons of ammo
  • Locust Hero "at least I have ECM and arti-strikes" :) good for nibbling on their legs or zerg rushing if you have to counter-attack
Usually I have to eject from the King Crab due to running out of ammo before I'm killed since I've got good armor and if I'm defending I drop that first. Note that first rule of zerg rushing is to not shoot the mechs but rather the turrets so in most cases I've ejected after couple of zerg rushes. But 4UACs puts a real hurt on Clan Mechs. :)

Another varient of this loadout would be switching the Cataphract for a Jagermech and the Centaurion for a Shadowhawk with UAC5&AC5 loadout.

So happy to get feedback on the above. Hope it helps you kill more Clanners and take back our FRR planets!

Edited by Jman88, 16 December 2014 - 04:52 AM.

#2 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:51 AM

Thanks! Sharing with my 'Borgmates!

#3 Parjai Skirata

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:11 AM

Ah, thank you for the intel freeborn. We will pass this along to the Wolf brethren as we prepare our battle tactics for future attacks.

#4 Spurowny

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:27 AM

View PostJman88, on 15 December 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

• Don't worry about killing them. Just leg the mech and then leg the next one, etc. If you have the cannons just shoot legs and let someone else get the kills.
  • Forget missiles. Bring Ballistics! Really. They have too much ecm and missiles have limited stopping power.

Very good advice

but we're going to keep taking your planets anyhow. :ph34r:

Edited by Spurowny, 15 December 2014 - 08:28 AM.

#5 Surtr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDropship Naglfar, Clan Front

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:32 AM

View PostSpurowny, on 15 December 2014 - 08:27 AM, said:

Very good advice

but we're going to keep taking your planets anyhow. :ph34r:

The arrogance of the clans will be their undoing. Odin will grant us the victory we seek. Go back to your dreg planets in the deep periphery clan trash.

#6 Jacon Ceronia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 240 posts
  • LocationUTAH

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

Good stuff. Hope to actually get into more than one of these matches... -_-

#7 Meihru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 378 posts
  • LocationGrafschaft Bentheim/Germany

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:03 AM

View PostJman88, on 15 December 2014 - 07:41 AM, said:

• Set up the line of fire along the most likely route (e.g. to the right of beta gate for cold map) and have some heavies blockading their rush route while meds and lights hit them from behind as they move in. Flow back to Omega/Cannon as they push inward.
  • Make them eat arti strikes as they come through the gate! Great for reducing armor on the legs.
  • Forget missiles. Bring Ballistics! Really. They have too much ecm and missiles have limited stopping power.
  • Regarding the above, I like multiple UAC5s for their rapid fire rate and range. I note that legs are the one place most people reduce armor so it doesn't take alot of hits to leg a Stormcrow.
  • Pack as much ammo as you can fit in there without sacrificing armor. General rule of thumb is 3 tons of ammo for each UAC5.

well nothing new here except that i cant see the sense in taking so insane ammounts of ballistics into the field (considering your dropship)

if you are somewhat capable of aiming, energy weapons are your best friend in legging and crippling such runs with ease
of course most players will take their beloved ballistics with them, but if you run out of ammo (and you will, i promise), then your mech is literally useless with these builds and you will have to eject a lets say 100T KC for nothing

#8 Vhetra

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 187 posts
  • LocationRadstadt

Posted 15 December 2014 - 09:29 AM

Because Ballistics make better sounds and look cooler. Duh.

#9 Meihru

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 378 posts
  • LocationGrafschaft Bentheim/Germany

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

View PostVhetra, on 15 December 2014 - 09:29 AM, said:

thats quite a good point :D

#10 Fenres

• Pip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 11:46 AM

Can't like this enough

#11 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:54 PM

Its true, I like the shock of ballistics... but its also about damage vs. heat vs. time. I can always drop more damage in less time with ballistics without overheating and that is the point. Zerg Rush is all about timing and getting there as fast as possible before we can stop them. We have better ballistics so use them to our advantage. Its pretty much the only advantage we have.

I don't mind ejecting on defence if I'm taking 2 or 3 mechs for every mech I eject out of.

I have some good all energy builds and you may note I said take ballistics over missiles. You can have a balanced build with energy and some ballistics in there too. LBXs are good for legging... duh. ;) Maybe I just passed on more intel to the clan trolls....

Edited by Jman88, 15 December 2014 - 01:57 PM.

#12 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:59 PM

View PostParjaiSkirata, on 15 December 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

Ah, thank you for the intel freeborn. We will pass this along to the Wolf brethren as we prepare our battle tactics for future attacks.

Wow your dogbreath stinks from here! :o No, most likely you guys will argue amongst yourselves and grab more clan space because your egos are like, huge. :)

Feel free to change your tactics, that is what the game is about. But FRR is more than capable of giving as much as it takes. No free lunch for the doggies or teddy bears.

#13 Abivard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:49 AM

They make a better sounds, but lasers make a better sight.

#14 Agatheis

• PipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 22 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:10 AM

No wubwub? :(

A.

#15 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:12 AM

View PostParjaiSkirata, on 15 December 2014 - 08:11 AM, said:

You have your own issues... lol

#16 DenTroge

Rookie

• 3 posts
  • LocationNorge

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:47 AM

Also SRM's.

GRF-1N is great for running around amputating legs :)

#17 Gaussfather

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 310 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:34 AM

View PostDenTroge, on 16 December 2014 - 01:47 AM, said:

Also SRM's.

GRF-1N is great for running around amputating legs :)

Probably, I personally suck at aiming SRMs :( but whatever works best for you is the way to go. When I said missiles I should have said LRMs since they weigh alot and for most builds its either ballistics or LRMs that you have to decide between. I like LRMs for regular matches but in this CW style of play they are less valuable (in my opinion).

#18 Attish

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 28 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:05 AM

We met another Ghostbear group - STS - if i recall, who used the same tactics.
If we had suspected that we would change our plan of defense.
The most annoying thing that the clanners can bring 12 mechs witch almost the same at tonnage, and speed, and even without light they have ECM :(
The other thing is confusing:
I see, they want to conquer, i m okay with that but with the "zerg" rushes there ll be an awkward situation, where u wait more time for the match, than the match last... (and neither of u get point in the challange).

#19 Oethe

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 81 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

I am glad to see people finding ways to counter this tactic, if it works, great. To me though the problem is the design of Community Warfare and this is needed to force a change.

However I would like to point out we first saw this tactic used by the IS and since adapted it. You complain how we can bring the same mechs, but so can you quiaff? Nothing prohibits you and you have the best mech for defense with ECM. A DDC.

Just keep in mind, you guys made this tactic, we have just been trying improving on it.

#20 Mellowseven

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 37 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:55 AM

I've found that a combination of LRMs and Dakka is the way to go. I've only gotten one defense out of the last 12 matches so I don't have any experience in stopping their rushes. All of mine is in attacking them. They like their laser firing lines and they run hot. LRMS and ballistics push them off their ridge-lines. It isn't about doing a lot of damage, just making them hide while we rush. Once in the ballistics are great because we can keep up a volume of fire that they can not due to their high heat laser boats. You don't need a lot of ammo for the LRMs. They are not your priority. You don't need to worry about ecm either. Most of the time you can just dead fire the hill top. That is enough to move them off their spot. When attacking you don't need to kill them, just make them uncomfortable holding their line.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users