7 replies to this topic

#1 Gaius Cavadus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 404 posts
  • LocationNova Roma, Alphard

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:23 AM

I'm going to be getting very seriously into Star Citizen (I've already put way too much into it) and have recently got back into MWO after ignoring it since I played in alpha.

I played Mw4 (and Mw4:M) with a Saitek X45 and loved it. Was looking at the X-55 but just wasn't feeling it so I opted for the X52 Pro.

How is the current level of joystick support for MWO? I know that it's definitely had issues in the past and I'm just not sure how far PGI have come with good joystick support.

Is there analog steering yet? Do I still need to **** around with all kinds of inane user.cfg settings?

Can this game be played competitively with a HOTAS?

Edited by Cavadus, 17 December 2014 - 11:24 AM.

#2 Memorydump

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

I would also be willing to know this, thinking about picking one up this decemeber to play war thunder with and wonder how effective it would be in this game as well

#3 Dirty Starfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 11:57 AM

I don't know about now, but I used one in beta and it worked pretty well. Obviously a lot less accurate than keyboard and mouse though. The stick I used was a saitek 3d gold from about 10+ years ago.

#4 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:49 AM

I use a Logitech Attack 3 in a Joystick (left Hand) + Mouse configuration - Joystick for analog steering the Mech Legs and Throttle Setting + the Mouse for Torso Control (twisting + aiming) and it works very well though i am still far from having adapted to that control sheme and do many piloting mistakes each time i play.

I did change some Keybindings in the MWO-Options and you have to save each time b4 you scroll down the list bcs it likes to reset on each scrolling attempt if you did not save.

No further changes to anything - it works right out of the box.

#5 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:18 AM

The short answer is yes to all the things you never liked and no to all the things you would like JS support to be. If this sounds harsh, well I used a Warthog for a over year before just giving up.
Seriously, just forget it. Loc Nar, who was a major force for JS support in MWO, seems to have left the game.

Best you can do is HOTAM plus rudder pedals. I use the G 602 and like it.

Edited by Hammerhai, 18 December 2014 - 06:22 AM.

#6 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:18 AM

There is analog steering. It's not perfect though.

I used to be able to combine a T.A.R.G.E.T profile, the user.cfg, and the in-game settings to get a grand approximation of MechWarrior 4's joystick settings. It worked great. Then something happened to the analog turning and now it has a large fixed dead-zone that I cannot override, but it's still analog.

I just use a keypad+mouse now. Good for sniping and slow brawling, bad for piloting light mechs. I miss my MechWarrior 4 perfection.

#7 Warblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 503 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Qc, Cnd

Posted 18 December 2014 - 09:44 AM

Joysticks have been working great since closed beta ive been using the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro since I stared playing MW:O 3yrs ago. Just make sure you reconfig. the stick to the way you like it, the default setup that pgi put in is just all wrong.

Here's the setup I use:
http://mwomercs.com/...joystick-setup/

#8 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 19 December 2014 - 04:48 AM

Analog steering and throttle control is in, but has a small (10-20%) deadzone that cannot be removed.

If you open chat or the scoreboard while using analog throttle, you stop.

Other than that, a throttle as a left hand device works very well in place of keyboard.

Just don't try to aim with a stick yet! Use a mouse in the right hand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users