64-Bit Client Using Onboard Gpu Not Dedicated Gpu

23 replies to this topic

#21 focuspark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:05 AM

Optimus (the NVIDIA tech that blits the frames generated on a descreet GPU into the frame buffer of a dedicated GPU) relies on app detection to know when it should be doing this. Likely, the detection software isn't detecting that MWO is running. I recommend that PGI ask NVIDIA to make sure that the 64 bit version be correctly profiled by NVIDIA.

If they need help doing this, I can assist.

#22 Falcore

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMadison, WI

Posted 09 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

So I was able to get this to work but I had to force the defaults for everything to use Nvidia instead of the internal Intel. I am running a Lenovo with a similar setup. The problem even with getting it to use the Nvidia gpu my frame rates on CW have been 10-15 fps with 32 or 64 bit. I did see a decent performance boost on normal maps using 64 bit.

#23 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 08:57 AM

Found the solution:
https://thatonecompu...optimus-solved/

The dlls that Nvidia uses to intercept calls for the GPU so that the Nvidia graphics accelerator can be used rather than the Intel Integrated Graphics device may not be signed. This is stupid since some anti-malware utility or security software (my bet is on something like Combofix) may modify a specific registry entry on Windows 7 to prevent unsigned app init dlls from running.

More information about AppInit_DLLs and other associated registry keys, see this Microsoft article: AppInit_DLLs in Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2

Set the following registry entries to 0 to allow unsigned AppInitDLLs to enable Nvidia Optimus to function as expected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\RequireSignedAppInit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows\RequireSignedAppInit

The second registry entry may not exist – if so, create a new DWORD named RequireSignedAppInit with a value of 0.

Alternatively, copy the following text into notepad and save as ‘enableUnsignedAppInit.reg’ then double click and allow registry editor to import it

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
“RequireSignedAppInit”=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows]
“RequireSignedAppInit”=dword:00000000

Reboot the laptop.

#24 Goose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 20 April 2015 - 09:31 AM

Outstanding find

1 user(s) are reading this topic