Worthwhile Hero Mechs?

51 replies to this topic

#21 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:26 AM

Another vote for Huginn, lots of firepower, hard to kill.

#22 ContingencyPlan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 105 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:15 AM

I've been strongly considering the Huginn because of just how damn powerful it is. I may end up picking that one up anyway regardless of whether or not I get the medium/heavy I want.

My preference for a medium/heavy is because that's what will fit best in my CW drop deck tonnage-wise, and it's also my preferred weight class in public matches. Ideally I'd like something that comes in a Mech Mastery bundle, but the newer ones aren't yet packaged in one.

#23 Rhaegor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 301 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL, USA

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:55 PM

I have the Misery, Firebrand, Ilya Muromets, and Pirate's Bane. The only others I am considering buying are the Jester, Pretty Baby, & Huginn. Thing is, I am not sure any are worth getting.

Edit: Also, considering an Ember.

Edited by Rhaegor, 23 December 2014 - 02:56 PM.

#24 Heydiddly

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 79 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

I can definitely vouch for the Arrow, even if the quirks are entirely pointless. I wouldn't call 6MG, 2 ERLL a troll build at all, I've had consistent success with it and some of my highest scoring matches. Survive to late game and enemies will drop like flies around you... Also, DAKKA!

#25 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:52 PM

TDK is the wrong weight class, but still very fun. Also would have plugged the LCT-PB if you didn't already have it.

#26 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:21 AM

View PostRhaegor, on 23 December 2014 - 02:55 PM, said:

I have the Misery, Firebrand, Ilya Muromets, and Pirate's Bane. The only others I am considering buying are the Jester, Pretty Baby, & Huginn. Thing is, I am not sure any are worth getting.

Edit: Also, considering an Ember.

Don't get a Jester, they are absolutely terrible.

#27 Kal Solar

• Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 12:51 AM

Huggin, Loup and Protector are quite good imho. Arrrow and St.Ives are not bad either.

#28 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 24 December 2014 - 03:44 AM

View PostBUDFORCE, on 24 December 2014 - 12:21 AM, said:

Don't get a Jester, they are absolutely terrible.

Why? My build nearly goes 100 Kph with 2 large lasers, 4 mediums, and double AMS and this thing rips mechs appart with ease.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't like the jester. You can also do the popular 4 large laser build on the k2 with ease and with added jumpjets or double AMS.... so if you like the K2 (and use it properly...) then you would LOVE the jester.

#29 ContingencyPlan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 105 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 07:14 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 24 December 2014 - 03:44 AM, said:

Why? My build nearly goes 100 Kph with 2 large lasers, 4 mediums, and double AMS and this thing rips mechs appart with ease.

I can't see why anyone wouldn't like the jester. You can also do the popular 4 large laser build on the k2 with ease and with added jumpjets or double AMS.... so if you like the K2 (and use it properly...) then you would LOVE the jester.

I have and enjoy the Jester, but I don't put it it in my CW drop deck because I find the playstyle it forces on you is really only viable in public queue matches. It is very effective there, however.

I've experimented with swapping to an 4LL/XL300 build as I feel it would better take advantage of the quirks, but the classic 2LL/4ML/XL350 build just performs better regardless.

Edited by ContingencyPlan, 24 December 2014 - 07:19 AM.

#30 Bullseye69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 454 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:04 AM

Just asking because I use them what about Grey Death hero shadow hawk. I love them and it has a interesting we on loadout.

#31 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:15 AM

View PostContingencyPlan, on 22 December 2014 - 11:22 AM, said:

As I mentioned, I'm looking for something in the medium/heavy weight class range, but the problem is that according to everything I've read and everything I can see, I already own all of the only hero mechs worth buying (which apparently there aren't many of), and the others appear to be actually inferior to many of their standard variant counterparts, especially since the quirks were implemented. Am I missing anything here? Are the IV-Four, X-5, Protector, Arrow, St. Ives Blue, Loup De Guerre, and Gray Death even worth looking at? Or should I just spend my MC on camo patterns and warhorns?

I always read the Protector was good, don't have it.

If you want to try something like a Mech not in game, you can turn the IV into a Rifleman-3C stock, just the MLs are in a different location, can also be upgraded with 3050 tech such as this example. If you want full JJs, drop the 2 AC/10s to LBXs.

#32 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 08:40 AM

Ive been quite happy with all mine so far

. Goldenboy, pirates bane, flame. Only on i hate is the cicada one. Hate that thIng

#33 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 24 December 2014 - 10:08 PM

I was disappointed in the Boar's Head, but apart from that I like the ones I own. (TDK and LCT-PB)

#34 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 25 December 2014 - 06:46 AM

View PostContingencyPlan, on 24 December 2014 - 07:14 AM, said:

I have and enjoy the Jester, but I don't put it it in my CW drop deck because I find the playstyle it forces on you is really only viable in public queue matches. It is very effective there, however.

I've experimented with swapping to an 4LL/XL300 build as I feel it would better take advantage of the quirks, but the classic 2LL/4ML/XL350 build just performs better regardless.

I didn't try the jester in CW yet but I seen the enemy make good use of it and I actually think it'll be quite awesome in CW.

It's quite fast, heavy hitting, and no ammo requirement at all while it soaks up the clan LRM's like a boss with the 2 AMS. It can easily rush the base with the mediums and lights while also in a deffender mission it can take down the lights that try to slip by. ironically the jester can go faster then some clan lights.

#35 Mirenheart

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

The Huginn, after being elited, and with an SRM 4 cooldown module, will have a .99 second cooldown on them. The only problem with the mech at this point is being unable to put enough ammo in it.

#36 ContingencyPlan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 105 posts

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:27 AM

I ended up blowing some MC on the Orion bundle (which includes the Protector) but I'd like to keep this discussion going for the sake of anyone else who might be reading this topic. Also I may still end up picking up more. So far I've been running the Protector as a dedicated SRM/AC20 brawler and it definitely performs well at that role in the solo queue but its primary weapon systems are too short ranged I feel to really be viable in CW. I think that most any mech should be able to deal strong damage out to 500m or so in CW (barring speedy lights and such). That's just my personal opinion.

#37 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:12 PM

You didn't make a poor choice. The Protector is, to whip out a tired cliche, strong in the right hands. If you like a chassis enough, your hands become the right ones.

And for the dude up there that was "thinking" of getting an Ember, you should've got one yesterday mate. ;)

#38 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 03:11 PM

View Postjuxstapo, on 27 December 2014 - 02:12 PM, said:

You didn't make a poor choice. The Protector is, to whip out a tired cliche, strong in the right hands. If you like a chassis enough, your hands become the right ones.

Locust Locust Locust...

Significant truth though. Just play long enough and nearly any chassis can work for you.

#39 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 04:51 PM

With the 35% off sale I've been looking to add another Hero. I have enough lights, heavies are hard to drop with (wait time is insane) and I hate assaults. Anyone recommend the best medium hero?

#40 ContingencyPlan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

View PostNUJRSYDEVIL, on 28 December 2014 - 04:51 PM, said:

With the 35% off sale I've been looking to add another Hero. I have enough lights, heavies are hard to drop with (wait time is insane) and I hate assaults. Anyone recommend the best medium hero?

I've heard a lot of things about the Loup De Guerre but have no personal experience with it. I own both the Grid Iron and Yen Lo Wang and I perform very well in both. Yen Lo Wang is, to me, one of the game's premier brawling mechs, and the Grid Iron with the new quirks is an AMAZING Gauss Sniper. The Sparky, which I own and love is listed on metamechs as being the highest tier medium Hero in the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users