Cicada Craft

64 replies to this topic

#21 Wolf Nuhts

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

2PPC's, 3 Small lasers, XL 295, 11 DHS, only basic'ed (didn't have 3 to unlock elite's)
Never missed a CT shot the entire game it was nuts best accuracy and positioning I've ever had, on Crimson straits last weekend. Most kills ever also!
Posted Image

#22 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:14 AM

Wolf - Awesome round, well played.

GamerGirl - I think you killed me the other day in a round when I was running a cicada...I am running 2erll 2 ml xl 300 on the 3m right now, but 3ll sounds interesting. I didn't like 2 ll + 2 ml on it very much but I like trying new stuff so I will give it a shot sometime. This sale is trying desperately to deprecate me from my cbills I think the 2b and 3c are on sale and I am tempted because I like their quirks but I am not sure 5 cicadas is really what I need right now ;)

#23 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:24 AM

3C is interesting... Really fun when it works, but its the most difficult to make effective.

#24 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:13 AM

So my son bought the 2b wubcada and I think I am going to have to follow suit. I love my wub (wuv my lub, wub my wuv?) and it just has sooo much wub :D

#25 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 17 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

Just got the X-5.
Not sure what to do with it. The general quirks are nice but i generally dont mix energy and SRM on IS mechs.

Below use the XL300 engine.

*for the event*-sigh...when in Rome. 2LL, 2LRM5. LRM to farm assists...yeah. Thats it.

4ML, 2SRM4, not bad but the missiles fire 2 at a time per launcher...may have uses, may not. Not quite sure yet.

2LPL, works well and thats how i grinded my M. X5 has better quirks too.

3ML, 1LPL, works well and the quirks accommodate each other well. Some nice synergy in range and burn duration. LPL needs a split second more cooldown.

2LL,2ML...meh, but workable. I use a BAP.

3LL, not bad. Tried a few matches but i favor the 2LPL more.

2ERLL...im not a sniper. But in theory it would be similar to a Raven #l with better cooling?

#26 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 17 January 2015 - 03:56 PM

Oooh, I like the 3ml & 2lpl idea. I liked the idea of 4ml & 2srm4 and run it like an upgrade to the Anansi, but it is a lot harder for me, in a Cicada, to get to those point blank ranges to maximize the effectiveness of the srms. So, trying to figure out what to do with the missile hard points has been challenging. I haven't tried Rip's ssrm build yet though so maybe that will feel better.

#27 Wolf Nuhts

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 09:21 PM

2 streaks and 4MLs for light hunting is an effective way to run the X5, atleast that's how I do it.

#28 LennStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 476 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:56 AM

For the 3M I go with UAC5 and 4 MedLas - the UAC is mostly for ecm-covered shooting at typical ~600m range. You can sneak into their backs and shoot them there. The gun bullets arent as visible as lasers or PPCs.

In brawl you shoot the UAC fast and laser together, then move torso to shield until the lasers are fireable again.

For the MedLas/MedPuls cics I go as the quirks say, even before that. The key here is the big engine and to manage the heat (no or onyl 1 non-engine HS). As you experienced being close to teammates is not working very well for the cic because you get shot very easy. Going round something and shooting from the sides or in the back is key.

My C3 runs with ERPPC obviously and 4MG. I dont like it, the ECM raven is a better ERPPC sniper and close range you can do not much. This variant is very dependend on how the game evolves. Also you are easier to hit then in the raven.

So far I only run the X5 with stock 320(?) and 2SRM2. It does work surprinsingly well but it feels less fun then the laser only builds.

SSRM - I consider them cheating so I never use them.

Edited by LennStar, 19 January 2015 - 12:59 AM.

#29 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

View PostLennStar, on 19 January 2015 - 12:56 AM, said:

SSRM - I consider them cheating so I never use them.

My locusts thank you :)

I just finished eliting the 3M today. So, I can go back to running the x-5 and/or 2a. . . I get distracted by "just one more round will unlock that efficiency." when I start leveling a mech and I tend to forget the others for awhile. Running Erllas has made very clear to me that I am not a sniper, but I keep trying, I just find myself getting drawn into the fray when I should stay out and poke. I am looking forward to getting back to the 2A it is still my favorite I think - until I buy the 2B :ph34r:

#30 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:15 PM

Still doing the best in the 2a (I am still a long way off from being the guy that gets 13 kills and 12 assists with 9,000 damage in a single round, but I like to celebrate the small victories :D)

Posted Image

Edited by 3xnihilo, 19 January 2015 - 06:19 PM.

#31 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:26 PM

Finally leeted my X-5. Was not easy this weekend.

Mainly using 1LPL, 3ML.

I have no trouble hanging back and doing fire support, or running out to a flank and laying some distraction.

#32 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:32 PM

Oh yeah, I bought the 2b because I have no self control :)

Inspector, I am definitely trying that build on my x-5. I tend to do much better with lasers (too much time in spiders I guess) than with srms so it seems like a good fit for me.

#33 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:35 PM

I use 2x LPL only in my 3M.

I love it, it was my best performing mech as far as stats and earnings until I started putting LPL on my Wubshee and Wubberbolt. LPL just make everything better.

I believe I have an XL260 in it right now, but you can balance between engine and heatsinks as you see fit. I like to be more heat efficient and rely on my positioning rather than have the mobility but run too hot for extended engagements.

#34 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:39 PM

View PostTarogato, on 19 January 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

I use 2x LPL only in my 3M.

I love it, it was my best performing mech as far as stats and earnings until I started putting LPL on my Wubshee and Wubberbolt. LPL just make everything better.

I believe I have an XL260 in it right now, but you can balance between engine and heatsinks as you see fit. I like to be more heat efficient and rely on my positioning rather than have the mobility but run too hot for extended engagements.

I just elited the 3m so I was thinking about experimenting with smaller engines now that I have speed tweak and double basics. I like to keep the bigger engine until then because they feel sluggish to me without the skills unlocked. I have xl275 and 255 maybe I will see what I can come up with in that range.

#35 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:49 AM

I like this Cicada 2b :) Lots and lots of wub

Posted Image

#36 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

my little gem

CDA-3M

Edited by Aliisa White, 25 January 2015 - 11:26 AM.

#37 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

View PostAliisa White, on 25 January 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

my little gem

CDA-3M

I like that a lot I bet you can do some good sniping with that ac2 and the ecm.

#38 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:38 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 25 January 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:

I like that a lot I bet you can do some good sniping with that ac2 and the ecm.

this. its more a harrassing boat. hard to spot when firing the ac2 + its completely black.
best i done with it was 960ish damage. its just alot of team dependency. if that one fails massively then the complete loadout is worthless.

#39 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

View PostAliisa White, on 25 January 2015 - 11:38 AM, said:

this. its more a harrassing boat. hard to spot when firing the ac2 + its completely black.
best i done with it was 960ish damage. its just alot of team dependency. if that one fails massively then the complete loadout is worthless.

In my heart of hearts I am a spider pilot so harasser builds tend to catch my attention ;)

#40 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 25 January 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

In my heart of hearts I am a spider pilot so harasser builds tend to catch my attention ;)

i usually do 350-600 damage in this one. but it cant kill anything on its own. biggest letdown of this. and it dies fast lol.

but i can do what i want anyway. too many cretins playing derpofield in MWO. losing alot of fun and interest in this game lately.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users