Smoke Module

8 replies to this topic

Poll: Deploy smoke module (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like a "deploy smoke" module?

1. Yes (20 votes [86.96%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 86.96%

2. No (2 votes [8.70%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.70%

3. Other (explain) (1 votes [4.35%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.35%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 bedevere42

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDropship, in transit to new front.

Posted 10 January 2015 - 01:31 PM

I would like to see a consumable module similar to an artillery strike that when activated calls in 5-10 artillery smoke rounds on the location. The rounds would do no damage but would release a large quantity of smoke into the local area. The intent of the module would be to conceal movement and cause confusion among the enemy team. Any thoughts on this?

#2 Foxtrot four eight

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 January 2015 - 03:32 PM

Thermal vision would see through the smoke. During the cold war one side put small glass particles in the smoke to cause problems with thermal. However this meant soldiers needed to wear protective gear (gas masks) to protect there lungs and thus hindering sight/touch etc. In military technology there is always an opposite equal reaction and so it should be in MWO. On a side note laser reflective paints was used to make it more difficult to "tag" targets. I like your idea but countermeasure modules would have to be introduced to prevent the "smoke is op" chant.

#3 bedevere42

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationDropship, in transit to new front.

Posted 14 January 2015 - 09:37 AM

View PostFoxtrot four eight, on 10 January 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Thermal vision would see through the smoke. During the cold war one side put small glass particles in the smoke to cause problems with thermal. However this meant soldiers needed to wear protective gear (gas masks) to protect there lungs and thus hindering sight/touch etc. In military technology there is always an opposite equal reaction and so it should be in MWO. On a side note laser reflective paints was used to make it more difficult to "tag" targets. I like your idea but countermeasure modules would have to be introduced to prevent the "smoke is op" chant.

It would make sense that either heat or night vision would cut through the smoke. I think heat vision makes the most sense and that is what I use to look through the smoke put up by generators in CW. Forcing folks to switch to heat vision does buy a few seconds of time for maneuvering so the module still has value. Maybe the smoke could block targeting enemy mechs concealed by the smoke (unless hit with a TAG laser). That may result in balance, heat vision can see through but you can't target what you see unless you have a TAG or happen to be in a position where you can see around the smoke. I would imagine the effect to last 15 seconds or 30 seconds when upgraded and there is also the fact it chews up a module slot and is not a permanent effect.

Edited by bedevere42, 14 January 2015 - 09:38 AM.

#4 Hornviech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 206 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:20 AM

Maybe it should be hot smoke so that thermal vision is partially blocked.

#5 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:23 AM

Or snow smoke since snow is white in thermal for no reason

#6 Lord Letto

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 900 posts
  • LocationSt. Clements, Ontario

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:41 AM

while it would be useful to use it and run to hide from the other team by possible blocking their LOS, there is 1 issue, FPS. Smoke is Particles and Particles are hell on the CPU Load side of things so using this to make a smoke screen would likely result in lower FPS, more so for players who have their settings cranked up.

also, can it be a on mech instead of arty, like have the mech release it behind them while running?

Edited by Lord Letto, 15 January 2015 - 06:42 AM.

#7 Jaeger Gonzo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostFoxtrot four eight, on 10 January 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

there is something called hot smoke

#8 Lukoi Banacek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:01 AM

There is no need for a counter based on that logic...there is no module counter for arty/airstrikes for example.

Smoke would not last forever and it would obscure vision for all parties, not just enemy.

#9 Ted Wayz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,913 posts
  • LocationTea with Romano

Posted 14 March 2015 - 11:55 AM

Smoke would still be viable even with thermal vision. Would you switch to thermal vision on Terra Therma? Good luck with that.

I think a smoke module is an awesome idea.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users