47 replies to this topic

#41 Kuritaclan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 January 2015 - 09:38 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 28 January 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

Even if you assumed that the 500W PSU hit the sweet spot at 50% load and the 550W PSU suffered about a 2-3% decrease in efficiency with the slightly lower overall load (which is an actual thing that happens in testing quite often, but not at these particular numbers necessarily) it would still only be ~292-295W.

When you're talking PCs and power bills, time is another consideration. If you leave the PC on for 4 hours/day, you can look forward to paying $2-5 more per year on your electricity. Yeah, you guys are squabbling about less than $1/month. Even better? It's winter, and PCs are more efficient space heaters than most actual space heaters. That $1/month for the winter months could actually be saving you about 5 cents/month.

A psu cycle of 5 years it will be ~$15-$25 - so what you save is okay since you invest it when buying a good psu related to the system you build.

As i said when you buy a big psu be sure will do SLI/CF - otherwise get a straight psu with the used wattage. On a sidnote everything is green, or in other words powerconsumption goes down with rise of technology. So if you upgrade the system with a new gc after 2-3 years it will may need lesser power as the old gc.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 28 January 2015 - 09:39 PM.

#42 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:52 AM

You go through PSUs every 5 years? I get scared after 3. Then again I probably push my systems a little bit harder than you do. My newer X99 build is the only one I haven't really pushed yet. My 2600K went to 5.05GhZ and stayed there for 2 1/2 years before lowering it to 4.4GhZ for the last 6 months. In addition, it saw 6870 crossfire and 660 Ti SLI. No way I'm not switching out the PSU after that.

I may be a little too strict on my power delivery, though. There's a power conditioner between the wall and the PSU, too. Let me tell you, though, the sound quality from my Yamaha HS8s and better overclock stability is worth every penny of an extra $90 for the conditioner in addition to whatever the extra was for the platinum/x-series Seasonic PSU. Go hard or go home, right?

#43 Flapdrol

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:12 AM

My psu has a 7 year warranty. I'm going to use it until it breaks. Plug goes right into the wall.

I'm not a believer in UPS or other extra's, where I live the power grid is extremely reliable, so no need.

#44 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:16 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 29 January 2015 - 06:12 AM, said:

My psu has a 7 year warranty. I'm going to use it until it breaks. Plug goes right into the wall.

I'm not a believer in UPS or other extra's, where I live the power grid is extremely reliable, so no need.

I've got like 5 years on all my components, including my monitor.

#45 AdamBaines

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:20 AM

I love how these advice threads turn from helpful, to knowledge debate. Although I must say that this one is staying civil! Quite impressive guys! Well done! Now if we could just transfer this civility to the rest of these boards...........

#46 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:28 AM

I love when some people build 1600€ PC's every 3 years and care about the power bill LOL. hadly makes sense.

all you need to know is, does it supply the power enough, and how loud is it, because you may not want to have an airplane like noise in your room.

I bought a 1000W PSU because it can run passive cooled until 40% usage. and so it's rather quite when I do not game at the systems max usage and don't want to have much noise.

#47 Odins Fist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,111 posts
  • LocationThe North

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 28 January 2015 - 08:09 PM, said:

Yeah, you guys are squabbling about less than $1/month. Even better? It's winter, and PCs are more efficient space heaters than most actual space heaters. That $1/month for the winter months could actually be saving you about 5 cents/month.

Who the "F" is squabbling...??? LOL :D
I said... here let me quote myself.

View PostOdins Fist, on 28 January 2015 - 06:34 PM, said:

The 750 Watt PSU is NOT going to jack your Power bill.

Pretty cut and dry.

#48 Kuritaclan

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,838 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 29 January 2015 - 05:52 AM, said:

You go through PSUs every 5 years? I get scared after 3. Then again I probably push my systems a little bit harder than you do. My newer X99 build is the only one I haven't really pushed yet. My 2600K went to 5.05GhZ and stayed there for 2 1/2 years before lowering it to 4.4GhZ for the last 6 months. In addition, it saw 6870 crossfire and 660 Ti SLI. No way I'm not switching out the PSU after that.

I may be a little too strict on my power delivery, though. There's a power conditioner between the wall and the PSU, too. Let me tell you, though, the sound quality from my Yamaha HS8s and better overclock stability is worth every penny of an extra $90 for the conditioner in addition to whatever the extra was for the platinum/x-series Seasonic PSU. Go hard or go home, right?

I bought the psu with the mainboard/cpu combo. As long as i don't have to upgrade i don't buy a new psu. Last update was a 5/6year run on a Q9300 to i7 4770k (now). If i would have upgraded in between like on socket 1155 with Z77 and i7 3770k i would have used a new psu in between too. Also i normaly pick a psu what is state of the art no cheap crap, and this will do it long enough. Well my last beQuite psu had a guarantee of 5 years. So nothing to worry. With the new System and the new psu i have also 5 years guarantee. I didn't chagend the graphic card on my old rig either. So if i would have got a new gc a new psu with new standards would have changed the psu too. But the system was set to take as long as it does. There was no need to change the psu. And after the 5 years i opened the psu to look up the caps for damage (they were unharmed). The Antec plattform in the beQuite psu is okay.

If you are heavly into oc/or sli/cf then a look up of the caps on the psu is ok to see if they swell, caused by ageing. (live danger! If you don't know what you do, don't open a psu!)

I bought a 1000W PSU because it can run passive cooled until 40% usage. and so it's rather quite when I do not game at the systems max usage and don't want to have much noise.

Humm i think this is a bad advice. Since passiv psu's (and all other passiv components) have allways high heat zones and if no airflow take the heat your caps will rest in peace faster than you can say sorry. Full passive elektro components suck nuts.

Edited by Kuritaclan, 29 January 2015 - 12:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users