Best Is Lrm Boat?

79 replies to this topic

#21 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:22 AM

Im firm believer that the more tonnage you have, the less you should use LRMs. Its simply a waste of armor.

Medium and Heavies tend to make good LRM mechs. The key is maneuverability. Sitting in the back just lobby LRMs without LoS is the wrong way of playing a LRM mech.

#22 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:42 AM

I'm surprised it's very varied in "what is the best one".

Kinda pleasant. Personally I got rooted into the Battlemaster 1S and the Warhawk as my brawling LRM boats. Just regular LRM boating isn't fun for me anymore.

But the truly best LRM boats before all the quirk nonsense? ROFLpult (LRM-90 Catapult A1) and ROFLwalker (LRM-100 Stalker).

If you're curious, look up the names on youtube while adding "Kon" in the search.

View Postmogs01gt, on 15 January 2015 - 06:22 AM, said:

Medium and Heavies tend to make good LRM mechs. The key is maneuverability. Sitting in the back just lobby LRMs without LoS is the wrong way of playing a LRM mech.

Hence why my LRM-assaults are brawling LRM boats. B) Pack on some good close range firepower, fight in the 200 to 600 meter range. Listen to the rage. Swim in the tears. :wub:

#23 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:45 AM

View PostMarc von der Heide, on 15 January 2015 - 06:19 AM, said:

Hab 2. Einen mit 2 ER Large und 2 LRM15....und einen mit 4LRM15...den 2ten mit XL da die 12 t Mun einfach nicht reichen und die Hitze auch im chain ohne DHS zu adden einfach nicht mehr auszuhalten ist....und 300er Engine ist Pflicht um in der perfekten Posi zu bleiben..sonst zu lahm.. :D

(German)
Welche Einheit sind diese Eigenheiten zu ? Bitte ändern Sie Ihre Forum Beitrag einem Battlemech Namen enthalten.
(English)
What unit are these quirks for? Please edit your forum post to include a Battlemech's name.

#24 Fubbit

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

HBK-4J is really good. I don't play any other LRMers,
You can make decent stock(ish) builds all the way to full custom.

#25 Gauvan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:11 AM

What I find to be good are multiple launcher mechs quirked for the smaller launchers. LRM15's can work but I find the LRM20's to be inefficient and avoid them. To get the most out of LRMs you need to be mobile so I find mid-weight mechs to be the most effective LRM boats; as was said above Assault tonnage is usually best spent on direct fire mechs.

edit:

I just checked what's going on sale this weekend. Of the on-sale mechs I'd suggest the KTO-18. The one I'll be picking up the HBK-4J as I own most of the rest.

Edited by Gauvan, 15 January 2015 - 07:18 AM.

#26 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:12 AM

AWS-8R.

My work here is done :P

#27 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:22 AM

View PostKoniving, on 15 January 2015 - 06:42 AM, said:

I'm surprised it's very varied in "what is the best one".

Kinda pleasant. Personally I got rooted into the Battlemaster 1S and the Warhawk as my brawling LRM boats.

Me too.
I don't find that youtube video showing a 1S with tag in Forest colony.
It's a very good example about how lrm boat should be used: without asking for "R"; maybe the OP can be interest in.

#28 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:53 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 15 January 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

Me too.
I don't find that youtube video showing a 1S with tag in Forest colony.
It's a very good example about how lrm boat should be used: without asking for "R"; maybe the OP can be interest in.

There was this one with Shar Wolf, (3 matches; the Battlemaster is in the second match at 2:30).
Spoiler

Pre-quirks, completely surrounded and still ripping things apart. Did okay but made mistakes (point blank with a twin LBX twin LL Atlas and getting surrounded is NOT a good idea even if I did rip him apart).

Though I think the one you mean is this one.
Spoiler

You only get to see near the end, but 5 kills, 5 assists (4 at the time of death, 5 at the end), 712 damage where I've softened them up with LRMs then go in for the kill. Trumped only by a brawling Stormcrow in damage who did 1 kill and 2 assists (way too much damage spread from that player, very inefficient).

Since I mentioned Warhawk as well, I thought of a video of a defensive way to play an LRM boat while still getting your own locks and supporting the team with your lasers. In this case we are in the group queue and I am supporting the Awesome in front of me. We have two firing arcs, intersecting in an L-shape while we try to defend our base which is literally down to its last turret. Our team was with us and fighting, but then chased after the lights while enemy missile boats and heavy hitters got to them, leaving only me and Lordred to take on 6 enemies.
Spoiler

2 against 6. Concludes 1 vs 1 "draw" due to time limit.

Edited by Koniving, 15 January 2015 - 08:09 AM.

#29 Jody Von Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

I play the TBT-3C with just a single LRM15 launcher and a 360XL engine and 4 ML. With so much speed you can position really well. The LRM15 quirks make it fire nearly has quick as 2 launchers without quirks.

The only bad thing about the TBT is ammo capacity is limited being only a 50 ton mech. Therefore my decision to use only a single launcher. It makes me use my ammo more judiciously knowing I don't have any to spare.

When I want to play Conquest game mode, I use this mech with a Cap accelerator module. It's loads of fun at 123 kph.

#30 BSK

• Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 15 January 2015 - 02:41 AM, said:

the BLR-1s with an XL300 engine, 4 ML, 2 ALRM15s and 2 ALRM10s works great as an LRM boat, I have done a redesign of for CW, doing away with one of the LRM10s in favor of additional ammo.

swap one ML for a TAG ..

#31 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

For IS Light mechs:
Some Raven builds can be sort of passable LRM mechs but usually not a great idea to LURM in IS lights

For IS Medium mechs:
Hunchback 4J is great
Most Trebuchet's are great
Several Kintaro's are pretty good
Passable builds with quite a few of the other 55tonners

For IS Heavies:
Catapult C1 is great
Catapult A1 is good
Jagermech A is good
Passable builds with a few others including Orions

For IS Assaults:
Awesome 8R is great
Highlander 733P is great
Most Stalkers are good to great platforms
Awesome 8T is good
Highlander 733 is good
Passable to good builds with some Battlemasters/Victors/other Awesome's

Atlas is a terrible LRM platform. Please don't subject your teammates to an LRM Atlas.

#32 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

View PostKoniving, on 15 January 2015 - 07:53 AM, said:

There was this one with Shar Wolf, (3 matches; the Battlemaster is in the second match at 2:30).
Spoiler

Pre-quirks, completely surrounded and still ripping things apart. Did okay but made mistakes (point blank with a twin LBX twin LL Atlas and getting surrounded is NOT a good idea even if I did rip him apart).

Though I think the one you mean is this one.
Spoiler

You only get to see near the end, but 5 kills, 5 assists (4 at the time of death, 5 at the end), 712 damage where I've softened them up with LRMs then go in for the kill. Trumped only by a brawling Stormcrow in damage who did 1 kill and 2 assists (way too much damage spread from that player, very inefficient).

Since I mentioned Warhawk as well, I thought of a video of a defensive way to play an LRM boat while still getting your own locks and supporting the team with your lasers. In this case we are in the group queue and I am supporting the Awesome in front of me. We have two firing arcs, intersecting in an L-shape while we try to defend our base which is literally down to its last turret. Our team was with us and fighting, but then chased after the lights while enemy missile boats and heavy hitters got to them, leaving only me and Lordred to take on 6 enemies.
Spoiler

2 against 6. Concludes 1 vs 1 "draw" due to time limit.

Sadly no.
Maybe it wasn't made by you (I thought it was) but maybe you saw it, I can give you some hints because although 6-8 monts passed, I still remember it very well.
It was an entire match in Forest colony, without commentary, BLM-1S started arround C2, then it actively searched for enemy going through water D2-D3. He was unapprochable, because it tagged and lurmed every mechs trying to. It seems to me the match ended with 5-6 kills for him, or so.
I forgot to save that video because it shows that a lrm boat must have good speed, must search for its own target, and bap+tag are awesome.

Anyone remember that video?

#33 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:08 PM

I remember I used to run something like this build:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2c02ffbd107ecd4

But I saw a hilariously good LRM boat just a while back, had to be running something like this, which is fun, trollish, and still effective:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7d99c0b725e7c5a

I also ground out my Atlas-S with this build. Still fun, but very trollish:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3cc3a4e47823905

Ammo placement is up to you, as are armour values.

Edited by RedEagle86, 15 January 2015 - 12:08 PM.

#34 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 15 January 2015 - 12:46 PM

View Postchiron, on 14 January 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

I've maxed out my catapult C4, and I'm really looking for another great LRM boat to grind. Any suggestions as to what's the best boat?

I have had very good results with an Loup De Guerre.

4 LRM 5's 2 Med Las

6(?) tons of ammo.

it's nice with the LRM5 cool down + with 115kph you can get out of trouble as fast as you got into it.

#35 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:07 PM

Posted Today, 06:23 AM
Locust.

Raven 3L :o

#36 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

As Voivode says Stalkers are good, as long as you remember 1 they are slower than molasses in Jan. comes to mind, 2 torso twisting or turning...pack a lunch while you're waiting. Horrible against fast mechs in close....3 rules 1. do not get out of position (stay with a group) 2. Stay with a group (stay in position) and 3 Don't off by yourself (nothing good can come from this). :)

#37 RedEagle86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 246 posts
  • LocationSaskatchewan

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

Going to stalkers, I came up with this, it's something I used to run when mastering my Stalkers.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3b5f106c0ff944c

SPL's and streaks for close-in defence, LRM's for, well, long-to-medium ranges.

#38 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 15 January 2015 - 01:40 PM

Do you really know what sort of mess this question presents?

So many mechs that are good at the job of getting the rain on target.

8R Awesome is awesome.

other good mechs
Awesome 8T is interesting with two Large lasers
any of the C-bill stalkers
BLS-1S very solid
JM6-A very solid with MG's if you want to scare off lights.
Griffin 3M
Shadowhawk 2D2
Kintaro 18
Hunchback 4J Very solid and can fire LRM 10's like the CAT A1 with LRM 5's.
TBR 7m, 5N and 3N The 7 and the 3 are great, but run out of ammo and the 5N I still go through 8 tons fast
Jenner oxide - until I tried it I dismissed it. Try doing more damage than you carry missiles (one arty strike)
Highlanders are interesting with LRMs even now.

Lesser boats
Thunder bolts
Wolverines
vindicators
hunchback 4SP

I could include other mechs, but these are ones that you could dedicate to LRMs

Edited by Barkem Squirrel, 15 January 2015 - 01:47 PM.

#39 Molossian Dog

• 1,393 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:27 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 15 January 2015 - 06:22 AM, said:

Im firm believer that the more tonnage you have, the less you should use LRMs. Its simply a waste of armor.

Thank you.

That needed to be said.

#40 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 03:59 PM

View PostMarc von der Heide, on 15 January 2015 - 02:51 AM, said:

Awesome 8R.....check his Quircks. Nuff said.

yep

2 alrm-15, 2 alrm-5, tag in the head, 2ml, std300 engine. LRM boat without a TAG in the head is a crime against nature.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users