79 replies to this topic

#41 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

I LOVE my Stalker 5M for lrms. TAG, BAP. UAV, 5 lrm 5s, 4 mlas and 2160 rounds of ammo. Chain the lrms and let the enemy QQ all they want about lurm spam. I personally don't like heavies or mediums for lrm builds because of the ammo limits andI think any light with a lrm is a waste. The exception to this is certain Catapult builds. Also, I never run an XL in my Stalker. With the weapon modules and quirks I can lurm out to 1175m. I have also run and mastered the Battlemaster, Awesome and Highlander with lrms, but I keep coming back to the Staker 5M.

#42 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

View PostClydewinder, on 15 January 2015 - 03:59 PM, said:

yep

2 alrm-15, 2 alrm-5, tag in the head, 2ml, std300 engine. LRM boat without a TAG in the head is a crime against nature.

Dunno about that. A LRMisher without a TAG is bad. A LRMboat without a tag is permissable if you don't have enough backup weaponry. You shouldn't be going out tagging with that stalker. Means you're way too close to the fight till you are out of ammo. A medium or fast heavy LRMisher is supposed to get up in their grits and tag. Its about knowing your role.

#43 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:31 PM

TAG goes in the HEAD.

#44 Dauphni

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 473 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:47 PM

LRMs, despite the name, are not actually long-range weapons. The travel time is simply way too long. The best range for LRMs is between 200-400m. As long as your mech is quick enough to stay in that range, you're golden, and generally even fairly slow mechs will be able to do that.

My personal favourite is http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e0acea16dd93d05
With the LRM15 cooldown mod, they fire as fast as the LRM10s, which works out nicely. The big advantage of this Stalker is the tube layout: lots of tubes, but they're subdivided efficiently into smaller launchers. This means that while you get two volleys, those volleys are very tight. Especially when using TAG that means you can core opponents really quickly, because most missiles will hit center torso, and there are a LOT of them. Under optimal circumstances, this build can take down a fresh Atlas in seconds.

#45 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

For shame..read through this entire thread and didn't see the Orion V mentioned a single time. At least the VA got mentioned once.

#46 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 15 January 2015 - 07:10 PM

Orion VA is the best heavy LRM mech. The ON1 V is horrid. I would rather the K or M first.

#47 Muffinator

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 447 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:02 PM

The Trebuchet 7-M is a surprisingly fun little LRM boat with the LRM quirks. Take a single LRM15 and plenty of ammo and you still have room for jumpjets, a fast engine and a few lasers. With the quirks plus the LRM15 cooldown module you can spit LRMs like nobodies business.

#48 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 16 January 2015 - 04:14 AM

View Postmailin, on 15 January 2015 - 05:52 PM, said:

I LOVE my Stalker 5M for lrms. TAG, BAP. UAV, 5 lrm 5s, 4 mlas and 2160 rounds of ammo. Chain the lrms and let the enemy QQ all they want about lurm spam. I personally don't like heavies or mediums for lrm builds because of the ammo limits andI think any light with a lrm is a waste. The exception to this is certain Catapult builds. Also, I never run an XL in my Stalker. With the weapon modules and quirks I can lurm out to 1175m. I have also run and mastered the Battlemaster, Awesome and Highlander with lrms, but I keep coming back to the Staker 5M.

I grabed a Kintaro 18 last sale, I got it with 5 lrm5s, I hate it to be honest I just don't stand lrms any more, but that thing carries well over 2000 missiles,something like 13 tons of ammo. Medium mechs can make outstanding lrm platforms, much more than it would appear at first sight, they save tonnage in structure, armour and engine ... most of them are XL friendly and in exchange they get the ability to reposition very quickly to where they hurt the most.

#49 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:12 AM

What the "best" lrm mech is will depend a lot on your preferred play style. I prefer the Kintaros personally, I like the ability to reposition quickly, prefer to stick 200-400 m away with it. However the 8R is a monster lrm mech if built well. I do no like using assault lrm mechs as much in a public game, they are slow, hard to get into place and hard to reposition. I prefer using the 8R in CW.

But the 8R as an LRM mech... wow. I run mine with standard engine, 2xLRM15, 2xLRM5, tag, BAP, command console, advanced sensor module, lrm5 lvl5 range, lrm15 lvl5 cool down, and 3000 rounds of ammo. the lrm 15s have a range of 1250m, the lrm 5s a range of 1225m. The refire rate with quirks is crazy. With BAP, sensor range and command console it can sense out that far as well. I do not know of any other mech that can do that, see out that far, respond that far. Down sides are your an Awesome, your a walking side of a barn still and you walk SLOW. Which is why I dislike it in a public match, too easily flanked, not enough mobility. It is a beast in CW though. CW most of those detriments are not as big of a deal.

#50 Kushko

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 493 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:19 AM

Hunchback 4J is a really good LRM boat post quirks and has the added bonus of not taking a heavy or worse an assault spot from the front line.

I'm not saying a LRM assault or heavy cant have a great game and help his team a ton but its too situational and if the enemy team is smart or if you get the wrong map ur pretty much wasting all the potential the big boys have in swaying the outcome of the game in your teams favor.

#51 Siegegun

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 424 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:39 AM

Kushko- Personally I am not one of those who is into the whole "I will not take this mech because I am taking away a heavy or assault spot" mentality. I do not play on a comp team, I play in public matches (solo and group) and CW (though waiting for the wait time fix). I play this game for me and not any one else. Also some assaults and heavies are MADE for long range missiles. I am not skipping those chassis and variants just because some one thinks I am "wasting tonnage". Also while tonnage can be an indicator of possible influence on games, many people are very good with many classes, and are on par with their output in other classes. So I doubt I am "taking" much away as it is.

I do basically agree with you though, especially your second paragraph. It is why I do not use the 8R often in a public match.

#52 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 16 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

View PostSiegegun, on 16 January 2015 - 05:39 AM, said:

Kushko- Personally I am not one of those who is into the whole "I will not take this mech because I am taking away a heavy or assault spot" mentality. I do not play on a comp team, I play in public matches (solo and group) and CW (though waiting for the wait time fix). I play this game for me and not any one else. Also some assaults and heavies are MADE for long range missiles. I am not skipping those chassis and variants just because some one thinks I am "wasting tonnage". Also while tonnage can be an indicator of possible influence on games, many people are very good with many classes, and are on par with their output in other classes. So I doubt I am "taking" much away as it is.

I do basically agree with you though, especially your second paragraph. It is why I do not use the 8R often in a public match.

Playing the game for yourself simply means you arent playing to win.

Currently, there are very few reasons to take an Assault LRM boat. Hell with the power creep of the DWF and Crab, if you arent in a 100t, you are hurting you team. Now if you want to slap on a few LRM5's plus some large lasers, that is fine, but going full on boat with 2 MLs as backup weapons doesnt cut it anymore.

Edited by mogs01gt, 16 January 2015 - 06:53 AM.

#53 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:00 AM

Has no one mentioned the Catapult-C1 yet?

Great LRM platform, and if you haven't maxed out your catapult skills yet you should absolutely get it next.

#54 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 16 January 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

Has no one mentioned the Catapult-C1 yet?

Great LRM platform, and if you haven't maxed out your catapult skills yet you should absolutely get it next.

My only complaint on the C1... too squishy and compared to the Orion VA, which is 10 tons heavier for ammo, can be almost as fast, and is a LOT tougher... it just loses out.

#55 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:29 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 16 January 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

My only complaint on the C1... too squishy and compared to the Orion VA, which is 10 tons heavier for ammo, can be almost as fast, and is a LOT tougher... it just loses out.

If he needs the skills he should get it though.

If you are running an XL, I'd argue that the Orion is squishier.

#56 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:33 AM

View PostRoughneck45, on 16 January 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

If he needs the skills he should get it though.

If you are running an XL, I'd argue that the Orion is squishier.

I've run XLs in both... the CPLT is still by far squishier, even with a standard. It's all about the geometry, and that favors the Orion, save for the height of the missile mounts, which actually favors the Orion shooting UNDER/INSIDE places on Crimson Straits/HPG and others. I've actually gotten a kill using LRMs in the rail tunnel on Crimson because of it.

#57 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:39 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6b1c8a3a39a053f

Two TAG is best TAG :P

Edited by CapperDeluxe, 16 January 2015 - 11:39 AM.

#58 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 16 January 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

It's all about the geometry, and that favors the Orion

Well that's where I would disagree I suppose.

Been a long while since I've been in an Orion though.

#59 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostCapperDeluxe, on 16 January 2015 - 11:39 AM, said:

Yee gawd! that made me cringe!

View PostRoughneck45, on 16 January 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

Well that's where I would disagree I suppose.

Been a long while since I've been in an Orion though.

If you haven't piloted it since they fixed the geometry about a year ago, you need to. It's much tougher.

#60 legionofvega

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 127 posts
  • LocationSecond Try - Home of the RDR

Posted 16 January 2015 - 11:45 AM

I personally run the Battlemaster-1S with the following:

3x LRM15 with Artemis 13-14 tons of ammo
4x ML's
AMS
Beagle
300XL
Advanced sensors and advanced target decay modules
LRM15 cool down and AMS Overload weapon modules

I used to run with an additional LRM10 but I was always running out of ammo and always overheating. I'm much more efficient with the 3 LRM15's and more ammo and I still do hordes of damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users