Defending Players Deploying From Mechbays / Mech Hangars

52 replies to this topic

Poll: Defending Players Deploying from Mechbays / Mech Hangars (135 member(s) have cast votes)

Would it be cool for defending players in CW to deploy from a mechbay/mech hangar instead of being dropped in?

1. Yes (129 votes [95.56%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 95.56%

2. No (6 votes [4.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Herzog

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant Major
  • Sergeant Major
  • 115 posts
  • LocationFlorida, USA

Posted 31 January 2015 - 08:47 PM

View PostKoniving, on 26 January 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

I think the cannon itself is more against the Jumpship rather than the dropships, as the dropships (Leopard class is the tiniest you can get in 3050) are a mite bit too small.

That would have to be one looooong range cannon my friend. :D
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Jump_Point

#22 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:38 AM

View PostIraqiWalker, on 22 January 2015 - 10:53 PM, said:

You mean I now have a very fixed point where I know my airstrike is guaranteed to ruin a mech?

With the dropships we at least aren't 100% sure where the enemy mech will pop from, but a bay has only 1 door to deploy the mech from, which means I can drop my airstrike just a couple of feet in front of it as a mech is walking out, and watch it get carpet bombed.

Might wanna think of a solution for that problem.

You would waste an arty strike on one mech? Might wanna rethink your strategy.

Edited by DAEDALOS513, 11 February 2015 - 10:39 AM.

#23 Amsro

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

You mean I now have a very fixed point where I know my airstrike is guaranteed to ruin a mech?

With the dropships we at least aren't 100% sure where the enemy mech will pop from, but a bay has only 1 door to deploy the mech from, which means I can drop my airstrike just a couple of feet in front of it as a mech is walking out, and watch it get carpet bombed.

Who said anything about there being only ONE door, hangers tend to have a massive amount of doors on them.

#24 Grimolfr

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 48 posts
  • LocationTerran Republic

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

Airstrikes/ arty gets dropped on dropship deploy points already. What really needs to be done (IMO) to CW is a progressive objective chain, with rolling deploy points. Think Unreal Tournament assault mode, where attackers need to take A before B, B before C, and so on. Easy (ish) way to kill off light rushes within the game? Make an objective a capture point. Force those lights to sit in a small, mostly open area for a bit of time.

Just my two cents...had a longer, more thorough post, but apparently I took too long writing it so it didn't post... <_<

#25 Baron Cunedda Kell

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:09 AM

I think this is an EXTREMELY wonderful idea.... This game can only get better....its only limited by PGI and our imagination....(doing the coding as well) to take this game to a level that shames every other game out their....

#26 Volkodav

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,361 posts
  • LocationЯрославль. RDL.

Posted 13 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

View Postffofy7891, on 16 January 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

Would it be cool for defending players in CW to deploy from a mechbay/mech hangar instead of being dropped in?
its good idea!

Is to improve the gaming experience, no farm (or many) DropShip and also give feelings for more immersion in the game .

Its real BASE with MECH HANGARS !

Edited by Volkodav, 13 February 2015 - 11:28 PM.

#27 NyteStrike

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

I'd rather just have the ability to select a drop point to spawn at. Getting dropped into a mass of enemy mechs sucks when the other two points are clear.

#28 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 09:08 AM

i think it would be more interesting to have the larger class drop ships first, they offer more to the game then a building, however if we do end up with fortified bases and anti-mech walls and the like, mech hangers would probably be more interesting.

as for the spawn camping, i would suggest the mechs be stored out of sight and also perhaps out of bounds for the attacking team, and also partially behind or away from the defended objective.

#29 Bloodweaver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 February 2015 - 05:53 AM

A roof.

#30 A Large Infant

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:25 PM

#31 Idealsuspect

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 01:48 PM

No thanks ... defenders have walls, turrets for defend theirs dropzone.
And anyway what about spawnkilling attackers it happend .. you will give them mechbays too ?

Same for 5 seconds invincibility ... its mechwarrior there, not COD also if people spawnkill you or your teamates, you only have to rethink your strategy.

Edited by Idealsuspect, 02 March 2015 - 01:49 PM.

#32 Drake67

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEnterprise MS

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:40 PM

Union class for counter attack would make sense.

#33 DaangeroussDann

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 77 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

There is a huge problem with "spawn ****" as they call it in other games. It is always illegal and or imposible.

What ever it takes to stop the clans from farming IS as they are dropped like a hot turkey on thankgiving. This is ********. Either make a secure base we deploy from , or make the drop ships shoot some serious firepower the clanners will not want to deal with.

Either way, this needs to be fixed, badly.

#34 Ultra-Laser

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 298 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

An easy solution to the theoretical mechbay farming issue, or at least one that could only leave it as bad as it does for the dropship spawning, is to have the mechs emerge in boxes from underground roman coliseum style. Have the mech-lift rise from the pavement/ground for however long it takes to do so then let the walls/door swiftly retract back down, allowing the mech to emerge mostly unmolested.If the lift only has one door to open/close then the spawning mech is actually safer then he would have been spawning from a dropship, as his rear torsos would be obscured. If the game has gone poorly enough for his team that he walks straight into half a dozen clan mechs with no hope of escape then the game has already been decided long ago. If that's not enough for you then the mechbay could fire a salvo of SRMs as the door opens and shuts to discourage folks from standing directly in front of it.

#35 destroika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 04:55 PM

Ok, I got carried away below. The idea of having an invincible mech staging area before entering the battle will only be an AFK spot. Remember the early days of WoW's conversion to the honor point system and what happened to AV? *cough* afk-cavers *cough*

Also, spawn invincibility is a quick-fix, short cut, lazy-*** solution to avoid a real result. Especially since the invincible guy can shoot back. It's lame. Don't do it.

The idea of picking your own spawn point on a tactical map, just like Planet Side 2, would be the best, imo. External, one-time use deceleration thrusters attached to the already air-tight mech would be perfect for dropping in. You're a tiny target for planetary/orbital defenses and you drop down powered down so as to not be targeted and then giving use to the mastery tree's "faster power up" skill. The boosters just fall off and lay there as a debris/LOS blocker, but they're not all that large compared to the mech and are only on 2 sides (originally attached to the legs), so very temporary shields as the enemy moves for a clear shot and you can not fire immediately back, you both have a LOS block unless they/you are already in a good spot to shoot. It gives you a few seconds, also, to get your barrings before moving out. The enemy can also have a clear indication there is a drop incoming with the bright thrusters and smoke trail, but they won't know the exact spot YOU picked to land, and since you are moving out in a few seconds, air/arty strikes would not be accurate.

View PostGrimolfr, on 11 February 2015 - 12:00 PM, said:

Airstrikes/ arty gets dropped on dropship deploy points already. What really needs to be done (IMO) to CW is a progressive objective chain, with rolling deploy points. Think Unreal Tournament assault mode, where attackers need to take A before B, B before C, and so on. Easy (ish) way to kill off light rushes within the game? Make an objective a capture point. Force those lights to sit in a small, mostly open area for a bit of time.

Just my two cents...had a longer, more thorough post, but apparently I took too long writing it so it didn't post... <_<

This is an excellent idea that would make CW in general more interesting. To elaborate, both attackers and defenders start off with all nodes in a neutral state. Each node is connected to 1, 2 or multiple others depending on the map design. (Usually connected 1 or 2 others with 7 nodes, 2 bases in total in UT2K4 that I'm thinking of). Each team must cap their adjacent node first before having access to other nodes, BUT, you can advance to the next sight to prepare to take it the instant it becomes available. While your team does not have access to another node for any reason, that node is invincible. Also, each team's "base" or "objective with HP" is invincible at all times unless that 1, single, adjacent node is capped by the enemy, then the "objective with HP" becomes vulnerable. Out in the main areas of the map, node points 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 could be interconnected with node 7 being the enemy's bottleneck node. Any 1 path leading to the enemy's bottleneck is all it takes to cap it and damage the objective. If multiple paths are secured, each individual path must be broken for the bottleneck node to go invincible. To break a path, each node is capable of being capped by either team, they are not bias, so long as that team owns a connecting node.

Of course while your team is off damaging the "objective with HP", the enemy team can easily re-cap that adjacent node making their "objective with HP" invincible again. This forces team members to coordinate and work together in defending and attacking nodes all along the path to the objective. Every mech class will have it's use. No light rushes, and assaults will be needed. Also, survivablity skills will go a long way as teams run out of reinforcements... (ammo replenishment will be needed, NOT repairs).

This will be a huge difference from UT2K4 and will need it's own balancing. What do you do if it comes to 1v1? Also, it's a loooong game for your 4 mechs to be locked. The MMO battle arena genre seems to be shooting for 15 minute MAX games. These could go on for over an hour. This is also a chance for PGI and MWO to stand out in it's own way away from the growing genre.

#36 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 12 March 2015 - 05:07 PM

could always have alight class Warship watching from orbit with weapons trained on the LZs that are already protected by a DS can help add to protection.

nothing says oh ****! like untouchable ships with navel grade weapons ready at the go to vaporize anything on the ground ;)

#37 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:41 AM

I think you have something here. Keep going with it. :)

#38 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 18 March 2015 - 04:29 AM

I think that's a great idea for the immersion.
I would suggest that the defending mechs exit via a shielded lift so that enemy mechs cannot access the staging area.
But starting in an underground bay, moving with other team mates to the exit point has a very cool immersive idea to it.
I might also suggest a faster respawn for defenders.

#39 Telmasa

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 20 March 2015 - 02:06 PM

This would help fix the very weird firepower discrepancies between "attacker dropship" and "defender dropship". You've got my vote.

#40 9erRed

• Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 March 2015 - 02:58 PM

Greetings all,

Considering that the defenders are actually the 'Garrisoned' units for that facility/location, having the 'Mechbay' and it's resources, is what they would be using in the first place. (repair, servicing, and ammo uses.)
Parking the 'Mechs outside and no service bay would be a bad thing.
- If it's an important location or Facility it will have some 'Mech servicing stations as part of it's structure.
- Having to bring 'Mechs in to defend, is somewhat counterproductive, unless they are stationed somewhere close.
- Using short range aerodyne ships to move the defenders rapidly were they are needed could be an option, as you can't be everywhere at once. (although once a 'JumpShip' arrival is detected in the system, a signature you can't hide, and Dropships are deployed it's sometimes quite a while before they make 'Planetfall' orbit.)
- Garrisoned Units and Troops would have some time to prepare for there arrival.

Reference the 'Orbital Guns', they are for ships in orbit only. Be that Pirates, Enemies, or warships, all would need to be in orbit to be able to deploy any smaller dropship or aerospace units. If they choose to stay out of range of the guns and in a very high orbit, it will take longer for 'deployed units' to get to groundfall. (this would be the point where the Defender launch's Aerospace fighters to intercept or dissuade any descending elements.)
~ (Jumpships normally stay at there arrival point in the system and begin recharging their drive systems)

So, some form of 'Mech bay for the Defenders to use would be an excellent addition.
- if it's the prime location where the 'Mech are stationed, then heavily defended with weapons systems and AMS.
- And due to the size and function of a Bay, numerous exits, or at least pass through front and back style.
(I'd recommend a fortified wall in front of the exits but lots of room to maneuver around.)

Just some thoughts,
9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 25 March 2015 - 12:49 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users