32 replies to this topic

#1 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:37 PM

...and for today, Marik holds.

I want to thank the davion teams we played against for the great games and even better sportsmanship! You guys make this game worth playing.

We'll see you on Wazan in the future!

Posted Image

Edited by dervishx5, 20 January 2015 - 09:38 PM.

#2 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

Zerg game is on. I'm a bit disappointed to see everything become the BWC zerg/zerg/heavy/heavy or even zerg/zerg/zerg/atlas but, well, is what it is. Stacking my defense deck with TDR 9S and JJ mechs to stand on/in front of Omega and my attack decks with 3x Spiders and Firestarters + an Atlas/KC/Banshee. I'm sure we'll see everyone else doing the same soon enough.

I will miss the great matches with Marik in the past though. Perhaps changes to CW can shake this meta loose and return it to something more enjoyable.

#3 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:45 PM

We'll just have to figure out a counter to the light blitz. And we will, because we're marik and davion.

#4 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:45 PM

that's just the deck you got hit with, we fought with a few different combinations tonight to keep things hopping. we had a great grind match against [AW], got smacked around by [ACES] in a run and gun all light fight.

#5 Helsbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:46 PM

A simple switch from the 240 ton limit to one chassis from each weight category would shake things up nicely. Most competent teams can deal with one wave of lights by now, so the elimination of subsequent waves of lights would alter the dynamic to more of a stand up fight.

#6 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 20 January 2015 - 09:51 PM

View PostGeist Null, on 20 January 2015 - 09:45 PM, said:

that's just the deck you got hit with, we fought with a few different combinations tonight to keep things hopping. we had a great grind match against [AW], got smacked around by [ACES] in a run and gun all light fight.

I've played with a lot of decks. The cold hard brutal truth is that due to hitreg issues, especially when it hits 12+ lights on the field all going ~150, you can't put 2 or 3 waves of lights down fast enough to keep them from wiping ogens and most if not all of Omega. It's the fundamental suicide rush approach and it's very effective if dull. Same with JJ up to block Omega. take 2 std engine Shawks and a std engine Cataphract 3D up on the ledge and physically block Omega.

It's all terribly cheap and it pays for crap but it works very, very consistently, even with minimal coordination. Every Marik group, mixed or unified, used it tonight. Not that we don't know how, just that before we didn't.

#7 RjBass3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 635 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationKansas City MO.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:50 AM

The Warpigs don't do the light zerg zerg zerg anymore out of sheer boredom. It's fun to have a real match and to give other teams a real match. Any teams still doing a constants 3x light zerg only prove they have no skills otherwise.

BWC has changed up their game a bit lately and not zerging nearly as much. They still do it for a wave or so but then get in their brawlers for some good old fashioned mech warfare. During last nights Wed Night Warfare we caught the BWC defensive zerg out in the open. It was like a shooting gallery for us and great great fun.

#8 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:47 PM

Looks like we are going to lose Phact again... ..not sure why there are attackers on Wazan with an hour to go, surely that firepower is better used preventing the loss of a planet?! :(

Edited by White Bear 84, 22 January 2015 - 07:54 PM.

#9 HlynkaCG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 22 January 2015 - 07:56 PM

View PostHelsbane, on 20 January 2015 - 09:46 PM, said:

A simple switch from the 240 ton limit to one chassis from each weight category would shake things up nicely. Most competent teams can deal with one wave of lights by now, so the elimination of subsequent waves of lights would alter the dynamic to more of a stand up fight.

I disagree strongly, it'd just be a return to the bad-old days of the same 4 mechs day in and day out. The tonnage-based limit gives us at least a little variety in comps.

#10 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:27 PM

View PostWhite Bear 84, on 22 January 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

Looks like we are going to lose Phact again... ..not sure why there are attackers on Wazan with an hour to go, surely that firepower is better used preventing the loss of a planet?! :(

Better to trade a world than try (and fail) to unwrap one. If they don't show it would take a crap ton of manpower to turret-walk Phact back down. Taking Wazan just makes it a trade.

It's solid logic.

#11 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 January 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

Better to trade a world than try (and fail) to unwrap one. If they don't show it would take a crap ton of manpower to turret-walk Phact back down. Taking Wazan just makes it a trade.

It's solid logic.

The problem is though that Wazan is not being taken.. ..now there is an excess on Texlos at 66% that could be used. The 12 man that gets the drops has enough time to secure 2 proper fights to keep it above 53%

Edit: NVM - The defenders on Texlos have bumped up... ..still would consider it better to try wind down phact that fight on Wazan when there is no chance of it flipping..

Am worried that our planet will come up for contention again when Phact falls. :unsure:

Edited by White Bear 84, 22 January 2015 - 08:34 PM.

#12 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 22 January 2015 - 08:48 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 20 January 2015 - 09:51 PM, said:

I've played with a lot of decks. The cold hard brutal truth is that due to hitreg issues, especially when it hits 12+ lights on the field all going ~150, you can't put 2 or 3 waves of lights down fast enough to keep them from wiping ogens and most if not all of Omega. It's the fundamental suicide rush approach and it's very effective if dull. Same with JJ up to block Omega. take 2 std engine Shawks and a std engine Cataphract 3D up on the ledge and physically block Omega.

It's all terribly cheap and it pays for crap but it works very, very consistently, even with minimal coordination. Every Marik group, mixed or unified, used it tonight. Not that we don't know how, just that before we didn't.

PGI just needs to put collisions and knockdowns back in the game and lights will be back in their place.

#13 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:09 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 22 January 2015 - 08:48 PM, said:

PGI just needs to put collisions and knockdowns back in the game and lights will be back in their place.

^This. Have been waiting for a good couple of years......

#14 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTeutoburger Forest, Lower Saxony

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:11 PM

Yup please reduce participating Lights to 0% ;)

When you bring Collision back we will see entire Matches again where everyone is just lying on the Floor.

Will be hilarious to watch.

Edited by Joe Decker, 22 January 2015 - 09:12 PM.

#15 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:23 PM

I'm not for nerfing lights - just adding turrets further out, meaning you need to clear turrets with some heavies before you can effectively deploy lights into the base. Move some Omega turrets out so it's a steady presence of them back to Omega.

#16 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

View PostJoe Decker, on 22 January 2015 - 09:11 PM, said:

Yup please reduce participating Lights to 0% ;)

When you bring Collision back we will see entire Matches again where everyone is just lying on the Floor.

Will be hilarious to watch.

There were plenty of lights in closed beta when we had knockdowns and collisions and they were far better pilots than the light pilots now, not to mention, lights were actually played as they were intended to be. Lights are not meant to be leg-humping brawlers.

View PostMischiefSC, on 22 January 2015 - 09:23 PM, said:

I'm not for nerfing lights - just adding turrets further out, meaning you need to clear turrets with some heavies before you can effectively deploy lights into the base. Move some Omega turrets out so it's a steady presence of them back to Omega.

Adding collisions and knockdowns back is not "nerfing lights", it makes the game more realistic.

#17 xJohnWolf

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 151 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:12 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 20 January 2015 - 09:42 PM, said:

...I'm a bit disappointed to see everything become the BWC ..

We love you too! All your planets are belong to us! Who knows, maybe we will be on a Davion contract one day. ;)

I really prefer the good fights we have. I miss seeing more Davion groups on the borders. I miss the actual 12 mans even more. Maybe we can set up a specific time between our mutual leaders for us to queue up on the same planet at a time that isn't during peak time. Call it a scrim of sorts? Maybe name some rules? or no rules if you are so bold?

Anyways, hope to see you guys on the opposite side again soon! /salute

#18 Joe Decker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTeutoburger Forest, Lower Saxony

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:16 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 22 January 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

There were plenty of lights in closed beta when we had knockdowns and collisions and they were far better pilots than the light pilots now, not to mention, lights were actually played as they were intended to be. Lights are not meant to be leg-humping brawlers.

Adding collisions and knockdowns back is not "nerfing lights", it makes the game more realistic.

Spawning Light Mech, having a quick Look around you after Startup. Teammate runs into you, first Time you lie on the Floor.

Standing at a Ridge, trying to move backwards, Assault stands behind you. Second Time you lie on the Floor.

Most of the Time in the Game you will be lying around on the Floor. Sounds like realistic Fun.

Anyone ever thought about that Light Mechs are lighter + shorter and therefore are more likely to stay on their Feet, as their Gyros needs to balance out less Mass and less Height than an Atlas for Example ? Or at least when they fall they will be much faster back on their Feet than an Assault.

So much about Realism. If they make it realistic we will see Assaults lying on the Ground for 10 Seconds before getting back on their Feet.

It is People that are unable or simply unwilling to deal with the "bad" Light Pilots in the Game who always bring this one up.

---

A Change like that would further reduce Light Mech Participation into nothingness. Just because the average MWO Player thinks that Battletech is only about Mechs with minimum 80 tons.

In Fact the Majority of Mechs in Battletech were Lights and Mediums as these were easier to afford for most.

---

Yet we are OT here...

Edited by Joe Decker, 22 January 2015 - 10:27 PM.

#19 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:27 PM

View PostJoe Decker, on 22 January 2015 - 10:16 PM, said:

Spawning Light Mech, having a quick Look around you after Startup. Teammate runs into you, first Time you lie on the Floor.

Standing at a Ridge, trying to move backwards, Assault stands behind you. Second Time you lie on the Floor.

Most of the Time in the Game you will be lying around on the Floor. Sounds like realistic Fun.

Anyone ever thought about that Light Mechs are lighter + shorter and therefore are more likely to stay on their Fee8t, as their Gyros needs to balance out less Mass and less Height than an Atlas for Example ? Or at least when the fall they will be much faster back on their Feet than an Assault.

So much about Realism. If they make it realistic we will see Assaults lying on the Ground for 10 Seconds before getting back on their Feet.

It is People that are unable or simply unwilling to deal with the "bad" Light Pilots in the Game who always bring this one up.

---

A Change like that would further reduce Light Mech Participation into nothingness. Just because the average MWO Player thinks that Battletech is only about Mechs with minimum 80 tons.

In Fact the Majority of Mechs in Battletech were Lights and Mediums as these were easier to afford for most.

It is physics. You can do an experiment yourself, if you want! Do this: try to drive a Porsche 911 under a tractor / trailer truck at 80+ KPH and let us know how it works out. We're you able to hang out under the truck, without your car taking any damage, or being moved involuntarily?

#20 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 10:27 PM

View PostxNoSkillz, on 22 January 2015 - 10:12 PM, said:

We love you too! All your planets are belong to us! Who knows, maybe we will be on a Davion contract one day. ;)

I really prefer the good fights we have. I miss seeing more Davion groups on the borders. I miss the actual 12 mans even more. Maybe we can set up a specific time between our mutual leaders for us to queue up on the same planet at a time that isn't during peak time. Call it a scrim of sorts? Maybe name some rules? or no rules if you are so bold?

Anyways, hope to see you guys on the opposite side again soon! /salute

I should clarify that.

You guys play well and hard and you play with what wins; you're in it to win worlds and I respect that. I have no doubt you want to get paid.

My issue is overall with the design of CW currently - the zerg is a consistent winner but it pays crap and is less enjoyable all around. that is the source of my frustration.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users