Can Someone Give Me An Update?

21 replies to this topic

#1 theDeimos

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 01:04 AM

I'm not exactly a complete nooblet but back then I abandoned this game right after the Jagermech arrived.
Since then I heard a lot of bad stuff about MwO and horrendously overpriced Clan Mechs and such.
Back when I played there were no Clan Mechs, LRMs were overpowered as hell, ECM was broken and Machine Guns didnt do any damage. Oh, and the game was stuffed with visual bugs.

So... since i'm bored and I spent some money back then I decided to give MwO a second go. So did anything change for good?

#2 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 21 January 2015 - 04:27 AM

PGI has rid itself of its publisher (IGP) and things seem to be actually moving forward in a positive manner. Things are kind of balanced atm and they surprised everyone with an early release of Community Warfare Beta. Yes there are still issues but overall things are looking up IMO. Check it out you may find a better experiance awaits you.

#3 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 21 January 2015 - 05:09 AM

No big visual bugs I know of.

LRMs are ok. Top players say they're underpowered, noobs say they're overpowered so I think they're balanced now.

ECM is still strong though the increased range of BAP has mitigated this somewhat.

Machine Guns can be great component destroyers when you're faced with juicy locations stripped of armor, especially if said locations contains ammo. You'd want 3+ of them for a dependable effect in this regard though.

Never thought the Clan mechs were overpriced myself. They've been a good source of money for PGI though all the ones from the first release can be bought for C-bills now. Yes they cost a lot of C-bills but that advanced tech doesn't come cheap you know? At the least you could say it saves you the need of upgrading to DHS + Endo.

Give the game a whirl again!

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

the game is fine, it is fun and relitavely balanced but of course it is not perfect.

as the others have said, the issues you mentioned have all been fixed or at least reduced

the "$500 Gold Mechs" was an idea from IGP (the former publisher), PGI have not done those with any later pack.

this game realy is free to play, with the exception of Mechsbays (frequently given away in events) the only things which cannot be purchased with earned ingame money are time saving or cosmetic in nature

if you are curious I suggest you give it another try

#5 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

View PosttheDeimos, on 21 January 2015 - 01:04 AM, said:

I'm not exactly a complete nooblet but back then I abandoned this game right after the Jagermech arrived.
Since then I heard a lot of bad stuff about MwO and horrendously overpriced Clan Mechs and such.
Back when I played there were no Clan Mechs, LRMs were overpowered as hell, ECM was broken and Machine Guns didnt do any damage. Oh, and the game was stuffed with visual bugs.

So... since i'm bored and I spent some money back then I decided to give MwO a second go. So did anything change for good?

Mostly FUD (fear, uncertainty, and doubt). MWO has it's warts (I point them out a lot) but overall it's a solid game and damn fun.

#6 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:07 AM

I started playing almost 2 years ago not long after you left. There have been big changes over the last 3 or 4 months. The Devs are much more transparent since shedding IGP.

Against armor, Machine Guns are useless, but that's how the BT universe works. Strip the armor and open up the internals to that machine gun fire and it's light out for that component. As SnagaDance says, 3 or more are your best bet.

LRMS are in a pretty good place now. Clan LRMs fire in a stream and IS fire in a group (blob). There was a new Radar Deprivation module introduced the same time Clans came out. It causes the enemy to lose missile lock when they lose line of sight of their target. So it's worth the investment.

The clan packs are not really overpriced once you consider they all come with XL engines and Double Heatsinks. They're all out for in game currency C-bills, now anyway, so, mute point.

Visually, I think the game is stunning. There are some areas where shading is a little messed up (tunnel on Crimson Strait map for example), but if you clear out your shader cache on your hard drive occasionally, they are less noticeable. I'd recommend you go into the Training Grounds and poke around in the new maps before going into a match. There's been a lot of maps added since you left.

Welcome back!

Jody

#7 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:26 AM

There's a lot to go over.

PGI went independant about 6 - 8 months ago and the general situation has dramatically improved since. Updates have been coming faster and communications have improved. Lots of mechs lots of changes to heat and weapons mechanics, private matches/lobbies, rudimentaryimplementation of faction warfare.

Almost all mechs have been given "quirks" (Awesome's get a performance bonus for running PPCs, Hunchies get a bonus for thier hunch weapon etc)

Clan mechs are in the game, clan weapons generally have longer range and higher damage but run hot and are less pin-point (EG clan ACs fire a burst of shells vice the IS's single shot) Clan mechs are generally fast and have lots of guns but squishier than thier IS counter parts.

Current "Meta" favors "Laser Vomit" for the clanners and PPC snipers for IS. "OP Mechs of the Month" are the Mad Cat and Firestarter with honorable mention going to the Thunderbolt-9S for it's high-mounted hardpoints and exceptional quirks (-25% heat from energy weapons :blink:)

Welcome back, hope you stay this time

Edited by HlynkaCG, 21 January 2015 - 09:27 AM.

#8 jaxjace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 987 posts
  • LocationIn orbit around your world

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

If you play Community warfare beta enough you stand to make over 100 million cbills and 3000 MC as well as other assorted goodies and mechbays through achievement unlocks.

#9 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:22 PM

As has been said before, this game is in a MUCH better place than it was even 6 months ago. For those who told you that the clan packs, or any packs for that matter are overpriced, the simple answer is, well then don't buy them. For real money you're buying mech bays, mechs, premium time, and probably the equivalent to at least 1 and up to around 4 hero/champion mechs. Maybe a couple of other things as well such as cockpit items, paint and modules. The vast majority of those can be had at a later date with c-bills, so it becomes a question of how soon does one want the toys. Remember the Nintendo Wii was selling for $1000 on E-bay right after it came out.

It's important to remember that even though PGI has gotten rid of IGP, they still need to have a revenue stream for this game to continue. I don't fault them for what they are giving us for real money.

#10 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

Do not forget that the Urbanmech packages that are being sold now.

With enough community pressure, PGI decided to well make the urban mech. Scary Idea, give'em what they want. Maybe it was a bunch of people blowing steam, but the decision was made to see how we purchased them for more items like this in the future.

#11 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 21 January 2015 - 08:59 PM

The Urbanmech is currently just a pre-order item is it not?

#12 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 21 January 2015 - 09:54 PM

So far as i know, basically what the others said, actuator damage is not really a thing, instant pinpoint (you may have had those back then?) and flamers can go through mechs now. Or they did last time i checked. Was good.
Oh, and if dodging LRMs is not your strong point they have a radar module to make it easy now.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:43 AM

yes the Urban Mech is currently just a preorder, if you preorder you will get it in April, if not it will be available for cbills, probably about 2 months later.

#14 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 22 January 2015 - 06:54 PM

Hey OP, key takeaway is that the new management is actually listening to its player base now and communicating well.

#15 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:20 AM

1. LRMs are support weapons and arent much of a problem. They still work great when you team has 1 or 2 LRM boats. They are only an issue to slow mechs who get caught out in the open vs 4 or 5 LRM mechs.
2. All mechs are expensive to buy with real money. Clanners are available for CBills.
3. visual bugs are slowly but steadily getting removed
4. Boredom still exists due to the lack of game modes for PUGs. CW is mainly for group play.

#16 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2015 - 07:56 AM

This thread makes me rather hopeful.

Glad to see PGI went indie; IGP was mucking about too much.

Looks like I get to relearn some old stuff and learn a lot of 'new' stuff. :)

Hopefully my hunchies are still viable. :lol:

#17 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:21 AM

View PostStrykewolf, on 23 January 2015 - 07:56 AM, said:

Hunchbacks are better than ever after the recent quirk pass.

a few months ago in at attempt to make all IS mechs competitave (some were concidered inferior to others and therefore not used much) most of them got major bonuses for specific weapons (the worse the Mech was rated the better bonuses they got, most Huncbacks were concdered bottom tier so got big bonuses)

The HBK-4G got the following mostly AC20 based quirks, 12.5% AC20 raange, 12.5% balistic range, 12.5% AC20 cooldown (reloads faster) 12.5 % balistic cooldown, 12.5% AC20 velocity, 12.5% balistic velocity, 15% energy range and 15% energy cooldown.
this means mount an AC20 and you get it reloading 25% faster, firing 25% further and traveling 25% faster, any other balistic weapon only gets 12.5% boosts. the other HBKs get simular quirks but for diferant sets of weapons but all get additional armor and structure on the hunch, I almost always loose the left torso and keep fighting with 90% of my firepower, I usualy die before loosing the Hunch

#18 Voivode

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 1,465 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:34 AM

Yes, be sure to check out the mech quirks when re-outfitting your mechs. I have over 60 mechs and build to the quirks roughly 60% of the time. Sometimes I just prefer a different build or the quirks aren't that great on some mechs, so I just do what I want. Hunchbacks it's worth checking out the quirks and cooldown modules. The 4H can fire an AC10 faster than the normal cooldown for the AC5. The 4J can fire its LRM10s about as fast as the normal LRM5 cooldown, so those are totally worth equipping for those mechs.

#19 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:18 AM

Aaaaahhh, k. Thanks for the heads up on the quirks thing. Looking at the list of them for the various mechs, now. Doesn't look like I need to change much, so far. :)

#20 focuspark

• The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 3,180 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:30 AM

View PostStrykewolf, on 23 January 2015 - 07:56 AM, said:

Love my huncies... they're amazing now. Even 'Cents are good again.

Edited by focuspark, 23 January 2015 - 11:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users