Conquest Strategies?

Conquest strategy

4 replies to this topic

#1 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:12 AM

What are the best and worst Conquest strategies you have had the pleasure (or displeasure) of experiencing?

I continually find that solo queue Conquest players seem to like to just go off on their own to cap, completely refusing to regroup with allies, no matter the situation. These scenarios usually start out fast on point gain, then rapidly lose steam when the enemy has killed almost everyone and capture all the other bases.

The best strategy I keep finding in Conquest is the same as Skirmish: Kill the enemy and forget capping exists unless it's on the way to a target or used as a draw or distraction.

#2 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 22 January 2015 - 11:19 AM

Usually the best bet is to have one or two fast Lights go around the rim and cap. This keeps the pressure on. If you have a 3-2 cap advantage, that's all you really need, so once that's achieved, those Lights can come back in and join the fight, but keep an eye for a cap. If another node starts getting capped down, wheel back out to take it.

The bulk of the team should deathball and focus on wiping out the enemy.

This works even on the largest maps.

#3 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:34 PM

I will have to remember your words for the next idiotic match of Conquest.

#4 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostSavage Sweets, on 22 January 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

What are the best and worst Conquest strategies you have had the pleasure (or displeasure) of experiencing?

I continually find that solo queue Conquest players seem to like to just go off on their own to cap, completely refusing to regroup with allies, no matter the situation. These scenarios usually start out fast on point gain, then rapidly lose steam when the enemy has killed almost everyone and capture all the other bases.

The best strategy I keep finding in Conquest is the same as Skirmish: Kill the enemy and forget capping exists unless it's on the way to a target or used as a draw or distraction.

Well, it's not quite that bad - the addition of capture points does introduce additional tactical concerns, so you can get into situations where you've lost the main force engagement and still win based on capture points. In broad strokes, however, you are correct; the tactical environment is akin to Skirmish, but with the presence of capture points to confuse players who are tactically maladept. Dawnstealer's tactics are dead on - send your fast movers to cap and return, while the main force tries to pounce on enemy elements (preferably their fast moving cappers) to gain numerical advantage.

I would caution you, however: do not yell at your team! Yes, it's cathartic; yes, they may BE developmentally disabled, paint-munching scatterbrains - but you will make them stupider..ly..er..est... You'll make them dumb! Yourself, too, because they're likely to either yell back or keep being stupid. It's because science. See, your frustration level will rise, theirs will go up, and your respective brains will transition away from "what ho, my good sir? Let us solve this dilemma with ratiocination and logic," and toward "HIT WITH ROCK!" Your higher reasoning functions will become less efficient - and your tactical acumen and piloting effectiveness will suffer.

By all means yell at the screen - I do. If you live in apartments, or have easily disturbed pets and family members, grab a pillow if you need to. But don't vent at your teammates, or it will just increase your own level of frustration. Trust me; I've been there enough times to know. I eventually decided to channel my energies toward a constructive solution, which is what the posts in my signature are about. =)

Edited by Void Angel, 22 January 2015 - 12:57 PM.

#5 Papapeshu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 183 posts
  • LocationGosport, Hampshire. UK

Posted 22 January 2015 - 12:59 PM

My tactics vary in conquest.
If in a non-ECM light or fast medium I'll usually go cap solo or with a random PUGger.
Sometimes, in an ECM light/med I will stick with the main group. Especially if we are LRM heavy.

Anything that runs below 90kph I'll stick with the main group unless it's a mech I find I'm pretty handy with.
That being the case, If I see a small (slow) group split off to cap from the main deathball group I will join the smaller group to hopefully provide enough extra pewpew/dakka to save those guys being annihilated.

It's really about how the score goes during the game and how many pilots we've lost/split from the main herd.

And luck. Gotta be lucky!

....oh, and if my "good" "lady" has restocked my fally-downy-juice that has a massive effect on my tactics too! ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users