Tourney Rules: Kills Vs Assists

8 replies to this topic

#1 Zen555

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 58 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:25 PM

I've been liking the tournaments more and more, but something bugs me about the scoring.

I can see the logic in awarding assists more points than kills; I mean, assists are at least as important as actual killing blows if not more so. But it leads to odd behavior in games. There's an urge for a lot of people to run around pinging people, or wounding them and leaving them for others to actually finish off.

Maybe just make kills and assists worth the same? Maybe people would just play "normal" for once.

#2 TheLouie

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 8 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:01 PM

I kind of like changing up play style. I'd love to see more challenges that offered up a need for diverse strategies or goals.

#3 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 28 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

I have no problem with killing regarding of the scoring method, so if anyone wants to get that assist instead of a kill, just call me, I will be over there in a jiffy. ;)

...But in all seriousness, I have yet to see such behavior in my matches; if anything it is "Everyone rush to that one guy and try to get a kill even if there is a friendly in the way!"
Which my King Crab's back felt first-hand today. Not cool. |:C
Not that this always happens, but you know.

#4 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:20 PM

I just don't want 3 Kills 2 assist and 560 damage (~120 points?) vs 3 assist and 2 kills...

#5 Krysic

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 85 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:41 PM

They need to do something with ALL the scoring. There's a reason lights are between 5% and 15% of the queue most times compared to heavies which will spike to 60% occasionally.

#6 Savage Sweets

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 121 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostKrysic, on 28 January 2015 - 10:41 PM, said:

They need to do something with ALL the scoring. There's a reason lights are between 5% and 15% of the queue most times compared to heavies which will spike to 60% occasionally.

Have to agree with this sentiment. It feels exceptionally difficult to make much money on a light unless you're VERY skilled with them and/or are toting a 30-point alpha Assault-in-a-box light.

#7 Trashhead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 261 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:45 PM

According to (what i know of the BattleTech) Lore, Lights are mostly used as scouts or spotters for Artillery Fire (including LRM's)

- find the enemy
- fix the enemy
- help your team kill the enemy

The current game, as it is, neither rewards players trying to do this (don't tell me we get 2000 C-Bills for being the first to target an enemy, i know that and that reward is a joke),
nor do the maps allow you to do this in any meaningful way.

The game seems to only reward doing damage or doing kills(assists (as these are the only things listed in the statistic at the end of the game).

The maps are either to small (so you don't need dedicated scouts; see Forest Colony)
or to open (so a scout will usually be spotted before he could do his work; Alpine is a prime example).

So, all that is left for Lights to do is: back stab-brawling (Small-Pulse-Firestarter) or sniping (ER-L-Laser-Raven).

I rarely see Lights doing anything else than this.

(Maybe I am not around when it happens, but this is my personal impression, based on the PuG-Queue.)

Oh, ok... capping in conquest-game mode.
Lights can be VERY useful here. I agree.
But Conquest is more or less an Arena-Style game mode (which reminds me of "Domination" in Call of Duty), it is in no way realistic in terms of real combat.
Even Assault is not realistic: how on earth can you capture an enemy installation by just standing still close to it for 2 minutes ? HOW ? O_O
So, ironically, Skirmish is - in terms of what could happen on a real battlefield - the most realistic game mode. Which i find kind of sad. -_-

Regarding to Tournament rules, I suggested the following rules after the Victor-Challenge:
- win the game via the primary objective; secondary ("Kill all enemy players") will only get you 1 point in total
- Skirmish is excluded
- everyone in the winning team will get 1 point for every team member that is alive at the end of the match

The rationale behind these rules is:
- get the players to care for their teammates (as the number of survivors equals the number of points you will get)
- get the players to at least TRY to survive (see above; (as the number of survivors equals the number of points you will get)
- get the players to care for the actual goal of the map, not only to make kills (thats why i excluded Skirmish AND winning through secondary objective ("Kill all enemy players"))
- if the players have to win the match via Primary objective, they will also - while trying to stay alive - not be able to get any points by simply waiting or hiding.

During the Victor Challenge, the most sensible behavior in regards to team-play i saw was, when a light mech running into our main strike force, trying to spread confusion.
A Stalker-pilot, who already got his kill, managed to cripple that light (legged him).
But instead of trying to shoot that light and get another kill.. he just turned away and started to fire at another enemy, leaving the crippled enemy light alone, knowing his team members would take care of him (which we did in a matter of seconds).
It was like he knew his firepower was needed elsewhere more desperately.

This, to me, is the essence of teamwork.
And it is neither rewarded in any way in this game, nor is it encouraged by anyone in this game. -_-

#8 David Sumner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 470 posts
  • LocationAuckland, New Zealand

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:48 AM

Really? I'm liking them less and less.
Maybe that's because I'm getting fewer and fewer rewards from them, and each time I have to put up with the absolutely abysmal matchmaking that results from the player style changing.

#9 Zen555

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 58 posts

Posted 31 January 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostWonderSparks, on 28 January 2015 - 06:41 PM, said:

...But in all seriousness, I have yet to see such behavior in my matches; if anything it is "Everyone rush to that one guy and try to get a kill even if there is a friendly in the way!"

Well, maybe it IS just me. But if they aren't doing it, they SHOULD be doing it! I mean, MCs are real money in a way, and if you are losing real money by getting a kill over an assist that should change your behavior pretty darned fast. I mean, if you want to guarantee an MC payout, run around and tag 6 or 7 enemies just once each; then if your team wins you'll get paid, even if you otherwise die or do terribly. The system clearly rewards quickie assists.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users