Self Destroying

55 replies to this topic

#1 Mainhunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 378 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 03:57 AM

See this more and more, and don't like it when someone decided to run to "out of bounds" land or just destroy themselves by overheating. Mostly when they are the last men and you know that it does not happen as accident, they just want to deny you the kill.

How about give the guy with the most damage to such an "accident" the kill?

#2 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:09 AM

I'd imagine you see it more lately due to the new heat override system. Many people just leave it toggled on.

If I had override toggled on and was almost dead, I might go full alpha too just hoping to core the enemy attacker before I die. I wouldn't think of it as denying a kill, but more so of going out in a blaze of glory and trying to take an enemy with me.

I don't think there is much of a penalty (if any from suicide), so maybe instituting a team kill penalty for a suicide might not be a bad idea. Afterall, you did technically kill a member of your team. Maybe add it for overheating death or out of bounds. Probably call it something other than team kill too.

#3 Latorque

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:10 AM

I do it rarely; but i do it. I don't want to start another "QQ elo/mm is a warm bucket of diarrhea; always drops me with a team of untrained monkeys"; but...

if i'm the last one after a solid fight and it's - let's say 12-7 for the enemy team; i go in guns wubbing and get killed. Team and me tried their best; good match, we lost fair and square.

Bet every now and then you can watch your team out of the viewport and they're not even trying or are obviously that unfamiliar with WASD controls that you'd have to take over to put their mech to any effect. In that case; shortest route: hit o (thanks for the toggle PGI) and go for permanent alpha or run out of bounds. Interestingly enough; this happens to me in group matches (if i go in with just one mate) more often than in Solo Pugging.

Just yesterday me and one lancemate were thrown in with 10 people from a Steiner unit, a mix of four different enemy units against us. Four minutes later it's 6-0 against us; my lancemate is dead; and i'm pretty far in the rear = screw this. Maybe they didn't use the mouse for aiming? I'm not sure. Anyway; it's just a waste of time in that case.

Going down fighting = always fun, going down clowning = no thank you.

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:12 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 29 January 2015 - 04:09 AM, said:

I'd imagine you see it more lately due to the new heat override system. Many people just leave it toggled on.

If I had override toggled on and was almost dead, I might go full alpha too just hoping to core the enemy attacker before I die. I wouldn't think of it as denying a kill, but more so of going out in a blaze of glory and trying to take an enemy with me.

I don't think there is much of a penalty (if any from suicide), so maybe instituting a team kill penalty for a suicide might not be a bad idea. Afterall, you did technically kill a member of your team. Maybe add it for overheating death or out of bounds. Probably call it something other than team kill too.

Thing is I have been in teh cockpit of a Nova killing a mountain to blow up... Likely so the player can complain that the Heat mechanics need fixed. :huh:

#5 Yozzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 273 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:14 AM

Not granting a kill, sometimes it's ok if they didnt deserve it :D

#6 levitas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Forbidden
  • The Forbidden
  • 264 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:43 AM

I know I've accidentally blown myself up once or twice red lining with override on. Not anything personal, just a matter of getting greedy trying to finish something off or giving the enemy team everything when I'm about to go down.

#7 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

If I'm in a hopeless position where I know I'm going to die, I'm going to override and start shooting to try and take you with me. I'm not trying to deny you a kill. I'm trying to make you earn it. It's not my responsibility to let you kill me so you can feel good about your game.

#8 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:08 AM

If people want to be so childish then oh well.
Only time Ive seen it was because their own team was disrespectful to LRM or something in never fully understood so they suicided in an attempt to spite the team. Lolz all around.

If it was a concern then they could just make it boot the player instead of explode. Mech will be left standing there to be killed.

Death in a glorious targeted alpha is not suicide, it is a warrior dealing as much damage as possible with final blow.

#9 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:52 AM

View Postjoelmuzz, on 29 January 2015 - 06:08 AM, said:

If people want to be so childish then oh well.
Only time Ive seen it was because their own team was disrespectful to LRM or something in never fully understood so they suicided in an attempt to spite the team. Lolz all around.

If it was a concern then they could just make it boot the player instead of explode. Mech will be left standing there to be killed.

Death in a glorious targeted alpha is not suicide, it is a warrior dealing as much damage as possible with final blow.
Nice Prose. but seriously??? laying it on a bit thick... Even for me! :lol:

#10 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:53 AM

Dying from overheating in combat is ok with me. Running out of bounds is kinda lame, but at least it's better than shutdown + disconnect in a corner, in the sense that suicide at least ends the match.

They really need to make disconnects and 0 pingers count as dead for the win condition. Make them 0 rewards to destroy as well so there is no farming incentive and to give better chance or reconnects being alive.

#11 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:58 AM

It's not about denying the kill (don't be so cocky) it's about dying doing as much damage as possible.

#12 SJ MetalDeath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pirate
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:39 AM

I think if you suicide then should get 5 kills taken off k2d and cbills removed ...

#13 Salvag3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Slayer
  • 103 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

I rather enjoy destroying myself In combat when it's 100% clear that I can't win. I find it amusing as hell to just dump shots into the enemy maybe taking one more down with me on the way out. Fight and die on your own terms not the other teams.

#14 LordSkippy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 451 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:50 AM

We owe the red team no favors.

If I have a weapon left, I will use it against you.

If risking death by overheating gives me a chance to take you with me, I will do it.

If my weaponless mech can be used as a shield or distraction, so my teammates may live a little longer and get a few more shots at you, I will do it.

If no other option exists, I will self-destruct to deny you a kill.

You are the red team, I owe you nothing.

#15 Spawnsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 352 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:55 AM

Honestly, I much prefer this over people who shutdown in a quiet corner because they don't want to die. (Yes, shutting down like this in conquest or assault has its uses, you know the situations I'm talking about.)

#16 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:55 AM

Purposeful suicides should be looked down upon. However, I've done it myself a couple time after a frustrating 0-12 match where I've lost all my weapons am the last player. I try to not do it anymore, but I've been known to lose my temper...

I typically will just let myself get killed, or if I have weapons, will fight to the death. I've gotten many kills as the last man. If you just kill yourself, that's c-bills down the drain, and a death you would have had anyway. If anything, you're helping PGI by lowering c-bill income for yourself as well as the other team's players.

Edited by Greenjulius, 29 January 2015 - 08:56 AM.

#17 Fishbulb333

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 392 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

What an odd time to complain about this, in the middle of an MC challenge... If you're shooting at someone and they die from overheating they're actually doing you a favor - kill = 10 points, assist = 20 points..

Sure, running out of bounds is lame, unless it's near the end of the match and the situation is unwinnable, then by all means, run off and die to end the match quicker.

As far as overheating goes, meh, ok you might get the odd guy suiciding just to be a tool, but the majority are simply squeezing the maximum possible performance out of their mech. More heat = more damage. Not using override is like never shifting to top gear in a car.

Also, if close to death I will jam override and fire everything! and either get some more damage, a kill, or die trying. Every. Single. Time. I've had override bound to a mouse button for a looong time now. ;)

#18 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:28 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 29 January 2015 - 04:12 AM, said:

Thing is I have been in teh cockpit of a Nova killing a mountain to blow up... Likely so the player can complain that the Heat mechanics need fixed. :huh:

That mountain probably had it coming, though; those mountains are always up to no good.

View PostLordSkippy, on 29 January 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

We owe the red team no favors.

If I have a weapon left, I will use it against you.

If risking death by overheating gives me a chance to take you with me, I will do it.

If my weaponless mech can be used as a shield or distraction, so my teammates may live a little longer and get a few more shots at you, I will do it.

If no other option exists, I will self-destruct to deny you a kill.

You are the red team, I owe you nothing.

No, I am the blue team!

#19 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:29 AM

I had two matches yesterday that I won because I overrode shutdown and alpha'd the last guy - I would have clearly killed myself had the last shot not landed and the match ended as a result. It's calculated risk. I end up also overheating and dying when engaged with multiple enemies and I know there is no escape - I will override so I can get an extra alpha in before I die from the continued fire. In my eyes, I either die in 1 second to enemy fire, or I die in .9 seconds to heat and I get an extra 20-30 damage on an enemy. I'm going for the extra damage so my team has a better chance.

There's nothing wrong with this. Either kill the enemy mech faster, or suck it up when he overheats fighting you, killing himself. I can tell you that for many like myself, the intent is not suicide - that just happens to be an unfortunate consequence, but one we're not concerned with as the death is coming quickly either way.

Here's a hint - if you see a legged LCT-1E getting hit with LRMs, he is probably going to be alpha striking anything in sight as quick as his lasers cool down, so get that kill in quick because he's going to freddy the lobster his mech pretty darn soon.

#20 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 January 2015 - 09:31 AM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 29 January 2015 - 04:12 AM, said:

Sure he wasn't having an issue with the environmental hit boxes. :ph34r:

:P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users