Getting Tired Of Being Machine Gunned To Death.

33 replies to this topic

#1 whitelightshadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 230 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:02 AM

I know this might not be the right place for this thread. But I am getting tired of being killed by lights that is machine gunning heavies and assualts to death within seconds.

It gives the game a rotting odour when lights is this OP.

So far this challange I have been killed 3 out of every 4 times by firestarters alone. Pathetic...

Edited by whitelightshadow, 29 January 2015 - 05:12 AM.

#2 EvilCow

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:03 AM

I understand light killing heavies in seconds but probably it is not because machine guns.

#3 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:26 AM

Before their range buff, MGs were seen as a (lethal) joke weapon. Now they are actually lethal. Their damage is still pathetic, but they trade it for very high crit chances, critting often and thus creating higher likelyhoods of ammo explosions in exposed components. If you have open components and a savvy light uses that to his advantage, I'd call that working as intended.

#4 conquistadorst

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:38 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 29 January 2015 - 05:26 AM, said:

Before their range buff, MGs were seen as a (lethal) joke weapon. Now they are actually lethal. Their damage is still pathetic, but they trade it for very high crit chances, critting often and thus creating higher likelyhoods of ammo explosions in exposed components. If you have open components and a savvy light uses that to his advantage, I'd call that working as intended.

Agreed, and don't get caught alone by lights either. That's a light mech's wet dream regardless of weapons they're carrying.

#5 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 29 January 2015 - 05:41 AM

The four in my Ember must be broken, will trade them for 4 SPL any day I hate them.
Perhaps I need to learn the secret to how to kill an assault in seconds...

They do about as much as flamers unless you get lucky and find silly people full of uncased ammo to explode.

I guess right now they are killing more than usual since everyone is avoiding the kill and leaving enemys like a crab without a shell. A spray of MG will find plenty of exposed innards.

#6 TheStrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 574 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:13 AM

If anything they need a slight damage boost.

As the others said - it's probably not the MGs that are killing you. They are more annoyance factor than lethal right now.

A Firestarter with 5 Medium Pulse though can kill you in two or three direct strikes to your rear, be more worried about that! (I love it when assaults ignore rear damage while not moving!)

I haven't killed anyone with MG lately, nor been killed by MG. Last time PGI touched them it was a nerf, and it was a significant one.

#7 Nik Reaper

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:44 AM

Heck , I'm more suprised you are encountering so many embers, as most other mechs don't have 4 MG's or they have 4 MG's but too few lasers... The pulse laser buff made them a bit obsolite , the 8 spl firestarter is the ankle biter of choice now.... and plz don't start a thread of how pulses are op... though they could use a 0.2~0.5 more heat IMO.

#8 Reaper3015

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 82 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:46 AM

MG's just crit parts faster. I've seen remarkable results from my nova-s running 4xmg and 6x mlas or 12x slas in matches. Lasers clear off armor and the Mg's are there just for crit/breaking components. It may seem like its the Mg's but its more the other weapons hitting you.

#9 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 29 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

View Postwhitelightshadow, on 29 January 2015 - 05:02 AM, said:

Yeah, they're really OP. That's why the Light queue sits at around 6% almost all of the time.

Protip - stop letting them get behind you, and if they do get behind you, don't ignore them.

#10 jackal404

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 29 January 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yeah, they're really OP. That's why the Light queue sits at around 6% almost all of the time.

Protip - stop letting them get behind you, and if they do get behind you, don't ignore them.

I would love to know how to do this as they are the #1 cause of my Dire-Whale dying. They don't show up on radar and I can never count on my team to wait for me - thereby leaving me wide open to the light rear attack. I've asked for teams to help cover my rear, or to wait for my slow a$$ - to no avail.

#11 Platinum Spider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 209 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

View Postjackal404, on 29 January 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

I would love to know how to do this as they are the #1 cause of my Dire-Whale dying. They don't show up on radar and I can never count on my team to wait for me - thereby leaving me wide open to the light rear attack. I've asked for teams to help cover my rear, or to wait for my slow a$$ - to no avail.

Seismic sensor

#12 DEMAX51

• Elite Founder
  • 2,269 posts
  • LocationThe cockpit of my Jenner

Posted 29 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

View Postjackal404, on 29 January 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

PUGging in a DW isn't easy for that very reason. Your teammates aren't often going to help you watch your back, but that doesn't mean Lights are OP, and there ARE things you can do to help yourself out. First off, Seismic Sensor will let you see them approaching on your radar. Second, when one does get behind you, throw your 'Mech in full reverse when you turn to face them - you'll get them into your view faster.

#13 Ironwithin

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,613 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 29 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

View PostDEMAX51, on 29 January 2015 - 04:53 PM, said:

PUGging in a DW isn't easy for that very reason. Your teammates aren't often going to help you watch your back, but that doesn't mean Lights are OP, and there ARE things you can do to help yourself out. First off, Seismic Sensor will let you see them approaching on your radar. Second, when one does get behind you, throw your 'Mech in full reverse when you turn to face them - you'll get them into your view faster.

Also: walls are your friend. Plant you butt to a wall when the zergs come running and mow them down with that arsenal your DW packs.

#14 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 January 2015 - 07:00 PM

I know this might not be the right place for this thread. But I am getting tired of being killed by lights that is machine gunning heavies and assualts to death within seconds.

So far this challange I have been killed 3 out of every 4 times by firestarters alone. Pathetic...

Put your ammo in CASE.

#15 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:28 AM

4 SPLs deal 16 pinpoint damage within 0.5 secods.
4 machineguns deal 1.6 points of spread damage (cone of fire) within 0.5 seconds.

Do tell me, which is better for hit and run tactics?

#16 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:35 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 30 January 2015 - 12:28 AM, said:

4 SPLs deal 16 pinpoint damage within 0.5 secods.
4 machineguns deal 1.6 points of spread damage (cone of fire) within 0.5 seconds.

Do tell me, which is better for hit and run tactics?

As far as I know, the MGs don't have a cone of fire. The visual effect is misleading, but for all intends and purposes, they hit like a laser.

#17 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:04 AM

View PostSethAbercromby, on 30 January 2015 - 01:35 AM, said:

As far as I know, the MGs don't have a cone of fire. The visual effect is misleading, but for all intends and purposes, they hit like a laser.

You are partially correct. The visual effect is misleading, because they are an instant hit weapon, just like lasers. But they do spread damage, just like LBX:

name="LB10XAutoCannon" spread="1.30"
name="ClanLB20XAutoCannon" spread="1.40"
name="MachineGun" spread="1.5"

Machineguns have more spread than LB20X!
Just go to the testing grounds and try to headshot a dummy mech from 120 meters away. You'll be hitting CT and STs instead.

#18 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:13 AM

Video proof of how OP Embers MG's are vs an assault.

Cored out from behind in seconds, 20 seconds, with only 900 rounds of ammunition which is just under 0.5 ton worth.

PGI please nerf now :angry:

#19 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:58 AM

View Postjoelmuzz, on 30 January 2015 - 03:13 AM, said:

Cored out from behind in seconds, 20 seconds, with only 900 rounds of ammunition which is just under 0.5 ton worth.

I really wanted to like that post but felt it could be misinterpreted as support for a MG nerf

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 30 January 2015 - 04:58 AM.

#20 reaverOfCheesecake

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:39 AM

View Postjoelmuzz, on 30 January 2015 - 03:13 AM, said:

Err...

1) it still took ages to kill that atlas with MG (remember that rear armour is usually substantially less than front)
2) in game your shots would usually be spread around because your dodging incoming fire. you will unlikely be able to stay stationary for that long and that close to an assault mech cause they usually run in teams.
3) a reasonable pilot would twist their torso to spread your damage around their mech.

IMHO MG are not OP based on your video. But i'm open to for a debate if you want to raise more points which could change my mind on the matter :-)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users