Homeworld Remastered

64 replies to this topic

#41 Cyberiad

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 342 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

I've been playing the game more and now that I've played a few multi-player games that haven't crashed I find the game pretty enjoyable. At first I really didn't like that they got rid of fuel but now that I've been playing the game again (original and remastered versions) I realize that fuel was a ridiculously bad idea to begin with.

#42 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:13 PM

Been playing the single player.. The Freaking crashes during salvaging is pissing me off though.
3 Destroyers and A Heavy crusier... And what do i get and the end... A crash I cannot avoid.. GRRR !!

Will try again ! :)

Edited by ShinVector, 28 February 2015 - 10:28 PM.

#43 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:26 PM

The best part? Now, when you finish a mission, all the remaining resources are automatically collected before you hyperjump.

Well, that and some of the mods are spectacularly awesome also.

#44 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:29 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 28 February 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

The best part? Now, when you finish a mission, all the remaining resources are automatically collected before you hyperjump.

Is that by default ? WTF ? Really ? I been slowly gathering it post end game.

#45 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:00 PM

View PostShinVector, on 28 February 2015 - 10:29 PM, said:

Is that by default ? WTF ? Really ? I been slowly gathering it post end game.

Yep. Screw that. No more making a coffee and wandering away for half an hour.

They mentioned it in the RPS review too

#46 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 06:38 PM

View PostKiiyor, on 28 February 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

Yep. Screw that. No more making a coffee and wandering away for half an hour.

They mentioned it in the RPS review too

Feel a bit sad... Salvaged 3 Heavy cruisers around 7 destroyed around last 3 missions...
Blasted right through the last 3 mission by sending the enemy the death ball.
Game over... Next Homeworld 2..

Feel like they up the damage. Don't recall Capital Ships being so, fragile to other capitals.

Edited by ShinVector, 01 March 2015 - 06:39 PM.

#47 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:20 AM

Greetings all,

So, with all this discussion about the graphics and old is new and new is old.

What's the review on the new interface? Better? Easer to use and manage?
(watched the gameplay video from the PAX, but that was more about showing the new art work an explosions)

- Same method to select the 3D point you want ships to move to? (played the old games looking at getting this new one.)
- Are there any new story additions? Side plots different from the old ones?
- Any new reference(s) to the new game 'Blackbird' is working on? (the prequel)

Is this just something that a dedicated HW player or collector will be getting? Or does the new multiplayer change this game enough to make all the older versions 'obsolete'?

9erRed

Edited by 9erRed, 03 March 2015 - 10:21 AM.

#48 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:03 AM

You know, the Remaster is more or less a mod of HW2. It looks amazing and unlike some other so-called remasters of old RTS games, it didn't at least wreck the performance of these old games but the way it treated HW1 in the process.

It's basically like Free Space Open, except it's paid for.
Honestly, it doesn't seem like that good a deal for the players of Homeworld, especially ones that would love to see HW3 being made.

#49 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:35 AM

I discovered a fun little problem with the "automatic difficulty scaling" on the ghost ship mission. (Mission 9, I believe?)

I had a fairly large fleet at that point, probably at least 40 captured frigates plus loads of captured corvettes putting my fleet size close to double the limit.

Because of this, the ghost ship had around 40 Assault Frigates guarding it. I managed to lure them all away and hit the ghost ship with my strike craft, giving me all the frigates. I am probably running a fleet 3x the size of any I have been able to put together in any previous playthrough.

There are some serious bugs in this game... harvesters halting their collections and constantly needing to be told to harvest again, (there is no auto-harvest at the end of a level in HW1 remastered) strike craft not holding formations, (as Adridos showed above) corvettes not being able to use their guns because they are set to circle targets like in HW2, rather than do strafing runs like in HW1. It's like they didn't try to play the game before they released it.

I hope they fix these, as I am enjoying the rest of the game.

Edited by Greenjulius, 04 March 2015 - 08:46 AM.

#50 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Posted 04 March 2015 - 05:46 PM

Hit a bug on Supernova Station... Played through the whole mission. Even tediously built a carrier to get all the resources on the map. Kill the Taiidan carrier and research station and the objectives didn't update properly. Stranding me on that mission. Now I guess I have to replay the entire mission... :(

#51 timaeus

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:22 PM

@Greenjulius

There is autoharvesting at the end of missions in HW1R campaign once you click the hyperspace button, but there have been reports that you are better off manually harvesting at the end rather than jumping right away.

View PostShinVector, on 01 March 2015 - 06:38 PM, said:

Feel like they up the damage. Don't recall Capital Ships being so, fragile to other capitals.

They did. Units it general have either more HP or more damage depending on if they are from HW1 or HW2. It's seems to me to be most noticeable in regards to frigates (pop more easily compared HW1) and Heavy/Battlecruisers (they tank and mow through sooo much now).

Overall I'm ok with what has been done with this. I went in knowing some things would be changing some once I learned the first game was being ported into the second's engine. While there are certainly some issues with it (many of which have been mentioned above) none of the issues have impeded my re-enjoyment of the games.

#52 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:31 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 30 January 2015 - 05:11 AM, said:

already ordered,

Homeworld is 3D space RTS, from the 90s Homeworld 2 was released in the early 2000s the fact that you are fighting in true 3D space as well as being a more complex game complete with a persistant fleet which you reaserch, build and upgrade over the entyre campaign as well as a deapth of tactical options made it a unique game with a slower pace than many other RTS games.

the remastered editions are designed to work properly with the moddern opperating systems as well as improving the graphics and sound while preserving the origional gameplay

So, it's like Sins of a Solar Empire? I'll admit that I'm one of the ones who never heard of Homeworld either. I was a Stronghold Series RTS kind of person and didn't delve into Sci-Fi RTS games until recently. For a long time, Gal Civ was the only sci-fi RTS I played, and it was really more of a turn-based RPG.

...Homeworld fans, please don't stone me! I'm curious and willing to change! ;)

#53 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:13 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 04 March 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

For a long time, Gal Civ was the only sci-fi RTS I played, and it was really more of a turn-based RPG.

The term you're looking for is a strategy game, not an RTS. ;)

I wouldn't say SoaSE is much like Homeworld, though. It is a real-time 4X game (the genre Civilization or even Gal Civ series belong to) with all that applies to the genre's name: "eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate," as well as diplomacy or civic management.

Homeworld is simply an RTS in space. You collect resources, build up your fleet and beat the crap out of your enemy. You're just in space and as such, there are no bases to build.
The campaign of the game, on the other hand, is more or less a survival RTS with pretty much the same gameplay but persistent fleet (good luck getting through if you go through a pyrrhic victory at the end of the previous mission with your fleet in shambles) and heavily stacked odds.... after all, you're fighting for your homeworld.

#54 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:05 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 30 January 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

Never had a chance to play it back in the days. It's mostly about strategy space combat right? And less about building an empire?

I like that second part better. Oh how I'd wish they'd redo Masters of Orion 2 with better graphics and better stability on the mp-side. (I'm trying to forget about MOO3)

Besides just getting MoO2 off GoG, I would recommend Sword of the Stars 1 and 2. 1 is generally more popular, but I personally prefer 2, flawed and unfinished as it is. Also SotS1 especially feels like it has a lot of multiplayer focus.

#55 ShinVector

Liao Mercenary

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:28 AM

View PostBasskicker, on 04 March 2015 - 05:46 PM, said:

Hit a bug on Supernova Station... Played through the whole mission. Even tediously built a carrier to get all the resources on the map. Kill the Taiidan carrier and research station and the objectives didn't update properly. Stranding me on that mission. Now I guess I have to replay the entire mission... :(

Actually I thought I hit that bug. I found the problem.
It was NOT enough to just kill Station you have to kill all the defence turrets of whatever it was that was all around the station.

Edited by ShinVector, 05 March 2015 - 03:30 AM.

#56 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:15 AM

View PostAdridos, on 05 March 2015 - 12:13 AM, said:

The term you're looking for is a strategy game, not an RTS. ;)

I wouldn't say SoaSE is much like Homeworld, though. It is a real-time 4X game (the genre Civilization or even Gal Civ series belong to) with all that applies to the genre's name: "eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate," as well as diplomacy or civic management.

Homeworld is simply an RTS in space. You collect resources, build up your fleet and beat the crap out of your enemy. You're just in space and as such, there are no bases to build.
The campaign of the game, on the other hand, is more or less a survival RTS with pretty much the same gameplay but persistent fleet (good luck getting through if you go through a pyrrhic victory at the end of the previous mission with your fleet in shambles) and heavily stacked odds.... after all, you're fighting for your homeworld.

Sounds a bit like a few missions I played in Stronghold 2. Whatever army you had at the end of a mission was the army you had to use to defend your castle with on the next mission. I always enjoyed those survival levels; I may have to look into this game as well.

Thanks for the info on it! Now I have to go add something to my list of things to play, lol. :lol:

#57 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 06:47 AM

View PostShinVector, on 05 March 2015 - 03:28 AM, said:

Actually I thought I hit that bug. I found the problem.
It was NOT enough to just kill Station you have to kill all the defence turrets of whatever it was that was all around the station.

Yea that's what I thought at first. Then after I wiped the map of every red dot it still hasn't progressed. I did a little searching, and apparantly quite a few people are having this issue. It affects saves and the only way around it is to restart the mission from the beginning. It's a bummer because I managed to salvage the heavy cruiser. Don't think I will next time though.

#58 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:17 AM

View Posttimaeus, on 04 March 2015 - 07:22 PM, said:

@Greenjulius

There is autoharvesting at the end of missions in HW1R campaign once you click the hyperspace button, but there have been reports that you are better off manually harvesting at the end rather than jumping right away.

I read this as well, and it's an oft reported feature that was supposed to be ported from HW2, but isn't, or at least not properly.

The only resource income that you get is WHAT'S ALREADY IN THE HARVESTERS. It will appear that you get a form of income once you go to hyperspace, but this will likely only be the little bit that you already have waiting. I didn't realize that it doesn't autoharvest like in HW2, and missed out on some income in the first few missions. I actually reloaded and replayed a mission and found that around 8000 RUs went unharvested. That's in one mission alone.

Harvesting in general is bugged badly. Harvesters will stop in the middle of a resource field and report no resources left. You have to baby-sit them or they will all stop.

All these issues will likely be cleaned up eventually. Some of them are bad enough that I'd recommend a new player to hold off from HW1R for a few months. I played the original campaign so many times in my youth that the current issues are rather glaring and bad. Like strike craft all running directly into asteroids instead of dodging them, requiring that you only use capital ships to blow up asteroids about to impact your mothership. That's the complete opposite from how you had to play that mission formerly. Now attack bombers have little to no purpose, and assault frigate spam takes care of everything. Hopefully this gets toned down.

Edited by Greenjulius, 05 March 2015 - 07:23 AM.

#59 Basskicker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:07 AM

Well... I restarted Supernova Station from the beginning. Played through it again with the same result... objectives not updating after I kill the carrier, research station, and the entire Taiidan force.

#60 Skunk Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 286 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 10:35 AM

I hope that mission with all the Ion Cannon frigates is still in it. I liked capturing half of them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users