Will There Ever Be Another Charity Hero Or Champion Again?

20 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce13F4O

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 23 posts
  • LocationIN OKLAHOMA

Posted 04 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Anyone know if the Devs will ever create another Charity Hero or Champion? Originally they said that it was a success when they allowed people to purchase it. I have Sarah's Jenner which is a blast to play and would definately purchase another hero or champion if they picked a good charity to sponsor. Or picked a few and ran a survey through the forum and the the MWO community selected a charity by survey?
I think it would make a good Clan Variant as a one time purchase. They could set it up so that you could only use the omni-pods if you purchased the variant. Plus they dont have any Heros or Champions yet.

Its just an Idea i've been wondering about since sarah's jenner came out.

#2 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 February 2015 - 02:28 AM

Champions will be coming for every mech without it.

(for eg king crab, awesome, etc)

Heros will come for every mech without it (all clans, Wolverine, Thunderbolt, Kingcrab, Urbanmech, all resistance mechs, etc)

Charity? Not sure. Sarrah was a very odd situation in terms of gaming and the response was amazing, however atm some packs and stuff is a charity to PGI as they are very low on money despite people think of game devs.

However you can go find people who are in very bad situations in MW: O community and give them a free pack. that is a charitable way to make people feel better.

I know a few people on the forums that are abused (to put it lightly... not sure if I can even say half the stuff that happened to some people I know...).

but yea. What can MW: O make a charity towards anyway?

#3 LordJops

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 03:01 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 05 February 2015 - 02:28 AM, said:

but yea. What can MW: O make a charity towards anyway?

http://www.afcea.org...rtificial-limbs

#4 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:43 AM

View PostLordJops, on 05 February 2015 - 03:01 AM, said:

Seems interesting, but I kinda feel awkward about the fact these are US soldiers...

USA is known for not having the best of training compared to other countries and such... and there is a history of anything involving US fundraisers and charities that involve the military often end with the money not spent correctly.

Sorry for this so to say 'bias' against the idea of this. There are people here who have there family taken by these same soldiers and such.

I think something less politically complicated could be better.

idk, this could be just me. I've seen to many of these flying around over my skies in the past.

Posted Image

All bias apart, if this is a legitimate charity. I wouldn't mind it...

However... the Avro Vulcan is looking for charity and fundraising, only 1 of this planes that can fly is on our world today and people are working on getting money to make it last past 2016 and also get a 2nd plane up.

Getting a mech in RAF camo with Roundels would be nice.

However getting a Sherman camo that's modified for a mech that is famous for 'arms' and actuators should also be done for the US idea you had.
Would be nice. WOunder what mech can suit that though.

#5 BUDFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  • LocationCambridgeshire, UK

Posted 05 February 2015 - 04:53 AM

We are going to get Hero clan mechs at some point then?

#6 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:27 AM

unknown, however there are hero mechs in lore so to say... MANY hero mechs....

Firemoth "Dasher".

Fire Moth Aletha:
1 x ER large laser (RA)
3 x ER Small laser (LA)
1 x ECM (LT)
1 x C3i (LT)

Kitfox "Uller"

Kitfox Phelan Wolf:
2 x ER Large laser (RA + LA)
2 x Medium Pulse Laser (RA + LA)

Uller Gus Pollard (apocryphal)
1 x ER large laser (RA)
2 x Medium Pulse Laser (LA)

Stormcrow "Ryoken"

Ryoken Kotare: (not by 3050)
4 x ER Medium Laser (RA)
2 x SSRM 6 (LT)
1 x LRM 20 (RT)

Ryoken Peter Dexter: (Apocryphal)
4 x LRM 15 (RA + RT + LT + LA)
1 x Active Probe

Hellbringer "Loki"

Hellbringer "Unknown" (Apocryphal)
5 x LRM 5 (3 RA, 2 LT)
3 x Medium Pulse (LA)
1 x Active Probe
(400 armour)

Mad Dog "Vulture"

Mad Dog II:
4 x Medium Pulse Laser (RA + CT + LA)
2 x LRM 20 (RT + LT)

Vulture Fen Chen (Apocryphal)
2 x Arrow IV

Timberwolf "Mad Cat"

Timberwolf Pryde
2 x ER large laser (RA + LA)
2 x ER medium laser (RA + LA)
2 x LRM 20 (RT + LT)
1 x ER Small laser
4 x Jumpjets.

Timberwolf Bounty hunter
2 x Large pulse laser (RA + LA)
4 x Medium Pulse laser (RA + RT + LT + LA)
1 x Light Tag (CT)
1 x Light Active Probe
1 x ECM
1 x Targeting Computer

Direwolf "daishi"

Daishi Hohiro:
3 x Large Pulse Laser
1 x ER Small
1 x Streak 6
1 x ER PPC
1 x Gauss

Daishi Prometheus:
2 x ER large lasers
3 x Large Pulse Lasers
1 x UAC 20
1 x SRM 6

Dire wolf Widowmaker:
2 x ER PPC (RA + LA)
1 x UAC 20 (RT)
3 x ER Medium laser (CT + ?)
1 x ER Small laser (H)

Dire wolf Widowmaker LRM:
2 x LRM 20
1 x UAC 20 (RT)
3 x ER Medium laser (CT + ?)
1 x ER Small laser (H)

Dire wolf Lone Wolf
2 x LRM 20
1 x Gauss rifle (LA)
3 x Medium Pulse
1 x LBX 20 (RT)
1 x (1 shot) SRM 6

Daishi Alice Newkirk (apocryphal)
6 x UAC 5 (RT + LT)

Daishi Srin Odessa (apocryphal)
6 x UAC 2 (RT + LT)
1 x Heavy Gauss Rifle (RT)

Daishi Riccado Vecci (apocryphal)
2 x LRM 20
2 x SSRM 6
2 x Cl Lbx 20

Apocryphal = build is mentioned in some sources however exact build may not be said in detail or specifics or from a source not considered cannon. (Deaths knell for eg fits in this catagory, it is cannon the mech itself but load out is unknown)

note: lol, Meta-direwolf is fortold 10 years in the past.

These are all the possible options for an idea

Edited by Nightshade24, 05 February 2015 - 06:41 AM.

#7 LordJops

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 05 February 2015 - 04:43 AM, said:

Seems interesting, but I kinda feel awkward about the fact these are US soldiers...

Yes, I can see your point. I was really pointing out prosthetics research in general or even neural prosthetics (I think someone already received a research grant for that), prosthetics for, I don't know, kids or something, would be a cool idea - I think in so far as we like big stompy robot legs.

#8 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 February 2015 - 06:48 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 05 February 2015 - 04:43 AM, said:

USA is known for not having the best of training compared to other countries and such...

Um, what? The US has one of the best trained and most experienced militaries in the world.

#9 Tim East

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

Aidan Pryde used Summoners nearly his entire career, and depending on if you believe in stuff like that, it was the curse of the Timber Wolf that got him killed.

Also, Ter Roshak Nova, for the win. We need a Nova with missile hardpoints.

#10 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:43 PM

View PostEscef, on 05 February 2015 - 06:48 PM, said:

Um, what? The US has one of the best trained and most experienced militaries in the world.

"One"

From WWI, WWII, Korean war, and Vietnam war the US soldiers out of the allies / nato side (British, New zealand, Australian, etc).

Usually 1-4 weeks training is done so they can get the soldiers as fast as possible out into the battlefield.

Compare that to the New Zealand soldiers, which get around 1-5 years training, There is a huge difference.

The Vietnam war clearly shows the difference between the americans and new zealand. In one situation the Kiwi's (and I think the aussies as well) were setting up a ambush at an intersection and are all in cover and such, US soldiers who failed to get the message just marched right through there and risked being attacked by friendlies. The US soldiers have not noticed the NZ soldiers waiting in ambush, even though one of the americans actually stepped on one of them.

In WWII the majority of tank crews from the US failed to operate the tank propperly, Ie can't tell the difference between forwards and backwards, Firing the wrong way, Unable to lead the target or adjust for bullet drop, etc. A good example of this was Lieutenant Ken Giles commanding a batch of new crew which failed miserably.
A comic based on the event can be found here: http://40.media.tumb...yr2bo1_1280.jpg
Which is historically accurate retelling of the portion of the battle.

USA isn't as poorly trained as many other services and such, but as a "First world Country" and Developed country standards, It isn't exactly the best. however these days it doesn't matter as America is mainly attacking people with out dated guns (AK-47) and wearing nothing but robes.

View PostTim East, on 05 February 2015 - 07:09 PM, said:

Aidan Pryde used Summoners nearly his entire career, and depending on if you believe in stuff like that, it was the curse of the Timber Wolf that got him killed.

Also, Ter Roshak Nova, for the win. We need a Nova with missile hardpoints.

Forgot to mention to have notable pilots of certain mechs being have there own hero or such.

I just listed unique variants.

#11 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

a charity timberwolf for prostate cancer. you can cover it with {Richard Cameron} and asses

#12 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:53 PM

View PostLordJops, on 05 February 2015 - 01:07 PM, said:

Yes, I can see your point. I was really pointing out prosthetics research in general or even neural prosthetics (I think someone already received a research grant for that), prosthetics for, I don't know, kids or something, would be a cool idea - I think in so far as we like big stompy robot legs.

Then yes, I would 100% agree on the Prosthetics research and stuff.

I think the charity mech for that should be one of the most agile mechs with hand and lower and upper arm actuators.

Also...

Posted Image

#13 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:55 PM

View PostNightshade24, on 05 February 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

Usually 1-4 weeks training is done so they can get the soldiers as fast as possible out into the battlefield.

Compare that to the New Zealand soldiers, which get around 1-5 years training, There is a huge difference.

US soldiers get a HELL of a lot more training than "1-4 weeks". I have no idea where you are getting your information from. I joined the US Army back in late 2005 and I was in Basic Combat Training for 9 weeks, then AIT for 6 months (tech related training, rather than soldiering, and even then we still 2-4 weeks of training in basic soldiering to keep our skills up), and last I heard they were working on making the duration of training longer. Troops preparing to deploy typically spend months training for their deployment. This does not count the regular training done in garrison by even non-combat arms soldiers. Also, given that the US military has been actively involved in asymmetrical warfare for over 10 years, we have what is most likely the most experienced military in the world. I also HIGHLY doubt that the New Zealand Army spends "years" in training.

Edited by Escef, 05 February 2015 - 08:39 PM.

#14 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 06 February 2015 - 12:20 PM

View PostEscef, on 05 February 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

US soldiers get a HELL of a lot more training than "1-4 weeks". I have no idea where you are getting your information from. I joined the US Army back in late 2005 and I was in Basic Combat Training for 9 weeks, then AIT for 6 months (tech related training, rather than soldiering, and even then we still 2-4 weeks of training in basic soldiering to keep our skills up), and last I heard they were working on making the duration of training longer. Troops preparing to deploy typically spend months training for their deployment. This does not count the regular training done in garrison by even non-combat arms soldiers. Also, given that the US military has been actively involved in asymmetrical warfare for over 10 years, we have what is most likely the most experienced military in the world. I also HIGHLY doubt that the New Zealand Army spends "years" in training.

Plus the fairly common exercises engaged in by units to keep them sharp for their role in actual warfare as a unit, not just individuals. We had something like four weeks of sims a year, plus at least four trips to the field, two of which were longer in duration. They call it the "Field" Artillery for a reason.

I feel like we were reasonably well-trained given how pretty much every training revolved around either how to not get killed, directly kill people better, or do our jobs (which were to kill people indirectly) better. It was like this rotating schedule of "Go to the range, PT test, NBC training, go to the range, PT test, combatives, go to the range, PT test, post-wide exercises, go to the range, change of command/other ceremonial waste of time, GO TO THE RANGE, etc." To be perfectly honest, it all kind of blurred together in my mind.

Not the best job I ever had, but far from the worst as well.

#15 RecklessFable

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Steadfast
  • The Steadfast
  • 167 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 06:48 PM

Sarah's Mech was special because she was one of us.

For the curious:
http://mwomercs.com/sarah

#16 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

View PostEscef, on 05 February 2015 - 07:55 PM, said:

Key words.

"2005" and "Joined"

This isn't 1940-1945, 1950's, or 1980-2000.

You were not conscripted and you weren't thrown into the battlefield ASAP.
It's different when you have time to train and when spending the week extra could lose the war or advantage.

My sources is:

The USAAF service history.
The US Army || ||

The US navy is a different situation as well as later US air force.

I do not want to start a political flame war / debate over a matter like this.

maybe if we replace this with something like Kurita and Smoke jaguar but otherwise.

#17 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 14 February 2015 - 03:37 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 13 February 2015 - 07:17 PM, said:

snip

You talk about 1980-2000 and conscription? I don't know if you meant to imply it, but there has been no conscription in the US since Vietnam.

Since WW II the US has had perhaps 24 years without war. 24 years without war out of 70. And you have yet to substantiate your laughable claim that that the New Zealand army spends "years" training... Unless,of course, you mean they spend years training because they never actually deploy?

Stop trying to defend this crap unless you can come up with some real sources other than your delusions.

#18 HlynkaCG

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 1,263 posts
  • LocationSitting on a 12x multiplier and voting for Terra Therma

Posted 14 February 2015 - 04:40 AM

View PostNightshade24, on 05 February 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

I don't think that national service selectees vs. professional corps is a fair comparison.

#19 Selene Lunaris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 128 posts
  • LocationFrom Safety To Where?

Posted 14 February 2015 - 06:14 AM

I think this thread is about other charity mechs and possible candidates for them, not military {Richard Cameron}-waving. Be dears and take it elsewhere. Not the thing most people would want to see in such a thread.

#20 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 07:52 AM

They should re-release Sarah's on the anniversary this summer and do it again. To me that would be a great way to honor her, and let all the new players get a chance to do the same. It basically would cost PGI nothing to re-do, as they already have the mech, and it is a separate fee, so people are not using the MC. I think people would make it successful again.

"Never forget"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users