Best Mechs?

36 replies to this topic

#1 Jer Me

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 12 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 12:36 PM

What builds allows one to rack up 2000 damage in a match?

Any suggestions on Mech loadouts?

#2 VXJaeger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrath
  • The Wrath
  • 1,582 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 February 2015 - 01:10 PM

My favorites:

Thunderbolt 9S
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...38f14966a2f9e39

Vindicator 1AA
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bc860a78cb66e6e

Grid Iron
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4033993e199fc8b

KC40
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1a9e1b26e1e72c4

DRG-1N
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3a449c9b1b31e3f

WVR-7K
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b5209840e93f96d

Edited by VXJaeger, 09 February 2015 - 01:10 PM.

#3 Amsro

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,384 posts
  • LocationCharging my Gauss Rifle

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:43 PM

My drop deck consists of 2 King Crabs and 2 Locusts, I'm around 2k damage each match.

King Crab - I use 2 of these exact builds, deadly from range and in close. Any Crab can do this build.

Pirates Bane - I use this mech for ECM, greatly helps the team. Great speed for rejoining the battle.

Locust 3M - This mech is essentially the same play style as the PB but without the ECM, only used as a last stand with the hope the enemy is hurting in a close match.

#4 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:21 PM

View PostManitoulin, on 09 February 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

http://metamechs.com...ropship-ladder/

Now if only more would take these rather than XL Atlases with LRMs and Guass. Seriously, fool around in private matches or puggish matches. At least bring some viable mechs that can actually run.

All in all, it's that us FRR have no idea what we are doing. If us 12 mans are losing to pugs then there is specifically something wrong. One thing to note is that there was a time when there was a 12 man of Clanners and a mostly pug group of every other faction used Pretty Baby's to win. Actually this happened again yesterday, then as soon as I joined a 12 man to fight we lost consistently.

Edited by luxebo, 09 February 2015 - 05:23 PM.

#5 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:29 AM

View Postluxebo, on 09 February 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

Now if only more would take these rather than XL Atlases with LRMs and Guass. Seriously, fool around in private matches or puggish matches. At least bring some viable mechs that can actually run.

All in all, it's that us FRR have no idea what we are doing. If us 12 mans are losing to pugs then there is specifically something wrong. One thing to note is that there was a time when there was a 12 man of Clanners and a mostly pug group of every other faction used Pretty Baby's to win. Actually this happened again yesterday, then as soon as I joined a 12 man to fight we lost consistently.

Dude, you´re joining the wrong 12 mans.

#6 Shikata nai

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,517 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:31 AM

Wuberine :)

#7 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 10 February 2015 - 03:45 AM

View Postluxebo, on 09 February 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

I don't know why some people point to that as the end-all-be-all of mech builds. They are decent options for people that can't figure out decent builds on their own, I suppose. But honestly if you can't put together a decent mech on your own you probably can't pilot one very well either, rendering the question of what to pilot moot. Any good pilot running a gauss/LRM Atlas could probably ruin a poor pilot running a good Atlas build. I should also throw in that players will run what they can enjoy, why play when you don't have fun? Some people want to run non-min/maxed builds, so what?

I don't know who you are fighting with either. Which 12-man FRR units are constantly losing? [OLD] is currently FRR, we lost 1 match tonight when we only had a 3-man for a game... in 6 hours of gaming where we rarely had more than a 6-man. The other FRR groups and players that are in our games worked with us and we appreciate that by covering their backs as much as they cover ours. Skill levels vary, of course, as there is no Elo in CW. Players of any skill level can (and do) aid in a fight when they work with the team. I hope we also help them to improve, if they can, want to, or need to learn anything from us.

Skill levels also vary for clanners. You may have fought against a terrible 12-man with a group of PUG AWS-PBs and won; I doubt it was a decent group of enemies.

You've posted a couple times tonight basically stating that FRR pilots are terrible. Many of the FRR pilots are die-hards that have been playing a while. The few that remain are probably going to be here until the clans reach down their throats to pluck out their dying breaths. Most are probably about as good now as they will ever be. I've only ran across a few FRR pilots that said they are new. I doubt a new player that goes FRR would stay FRR for long.

Maybe you should focus your efforts on recruiting more pilots to the FRR rather than discouraging the few players we have left. We did lose multiple territories on Diosd because of clan ghost drops tonight, more bodies in the meat grinder would have helped. It seems everyone loves an underdog but the number of FRR pilots I see fighting seems to indicate not many have the fortitude to be the underdog. Many of the FRRs players left for easier fights elsewhere; convince them to come back. It's easier to convince others to join by offering words of hope and success than by saying no one knows how to point and click at the enemy.

*super shameless yet somewhat related plug follows*

If anyone in the FRR wants to improve their individual skills, wants to improve teamwork skills, or just wants to show us [OLD] farts how it's really done and carry us to victory (really, we would enjoy some downtime to play bingo), I'll post our info again.

We use Raidcall. Room ID: 4913355. Normal CW playtime from 3pm-10pm PST. We've also started dropping by the FRR Hub the last few nights to coordinate with other units, so you might also catch us there.

/[OLD] person rant

Edited by Divine Retribution, 10 February 2015 - 04:32 AM.

#8 Klappspaten

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 February 2015 - 04:59 AM

Actually I run some LRMs on my Atlas D-DC and I do quite well with it.
I think sites like metamechs.com are good to start with a build, but some of those builds are very specialized and thus in need of an organized dropdeck to be really successful. When building a mech it is important to know what you want to achieve with said mech. Its not enough to put random weapons on that mech until the alpha damage is as high as can be. But when you have an idea what you want to do with that mech you can find some seriously good builds that allow you to be succsessful, have craploads of fun and even be a bit individualistic while doing so.
To make clear what I mean with a purpose built mech, I´ll guide you guys through my process of building my Atlas D-DC

I started playing Atlases when I got the free AS7-S in September and instantly fell in love with it. When thinking about the other two Atlai I needed to master it, the D-DC was the obvious choice, because you know, ECM and stuff, duh.
I leveled it with a fairly standard AC/SRM/MedLas build, but since I already had an great Atlas brawler with my S, I wanted to do something else with the D-DC.
Since I knew that in lore the D-DC was meant to serve as an command mech, and I frequently are commanding drops, I decided to do a purpose built command D-DC.

When in command I need a mech that allows me to stay in second line to keep my situational awareness in order to be able to indirectly influence the battle by giving good orders. I wanted to be able to directly influence the battle as well though, so it was clear that I would need some long range weaponry. But I still needed to have a mech that was able to assist in a push, especially since my unit likes it close and personal. So I opted for an LRM/Ac mix, starting out with 2 AC5 and 3 LRM10, since that was what I had lying around.
The build was nowhere near perfect, but it proved that the concept of an versatile command mech worked for me and my playstile, it lacked close range punch and was prone to ammunition shortage. It wasn´t particularly elegant as well.
So I tried out a few more variations of the concept (AC10 / PPC / SRM mix for example) until I came up with my current build.

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=17&l=435d93302e770383ea15f3b6d854155f25fe470b

ECM was a given, and I also like to use the command console for my electronics. The 320 STD engine gives me 57 kp/h with speed tweak, which is okayish.
3 LRM5s allow me to engage targets at range, even without a direct line of sight, which enables me to give immediate support to my teammates whenever needed, 5 tons of ammo, 900 shots, are usually sufficient.
The 2 Large Lasers give me some additional mid range potential, which allow me to directly get involved in a fight, without exposing myself too much, while keeping aware of the situation.
The AC20 gives me some decent punch in close combat encounters.
Also I am able to dish out serious damage to targets that are within my optimal battle range of 200 to 270 meters, allthough it does run a bit hot while using all of my weapons.

When engaging a single target I open with the LRMs on long range, giving my opponent something to think about until I get in range with the Lasers. I then continue fire with LRMs and Lasers until I approach into the 300 meter range, from then on I use all of my weapons. By now th target usually is seriously damaged. If neccessary I finish with the AC20 / Large Laser combination.
The mix of weapons allows me to bring steady damage to my target over a wide variety of ranges whilst approaching. Although I can not meet the damage output of the most specialized builds, I am able to meet any target on the range it is least dangerous in.
I also can deliver damage through all phases of attack, from initial encounter, up to the finishing brawl, without the need to stop and slow down my units approach.

What I am trying to say is that it isn´t enough to just copy the meta builds, but that if you want to be really successful in your mech, you need to be aware of what it is you want to do with it. A well considered purpose built mech will always be superior to any ill concieved mech, IF (and that is a big if) you are conscious enough and able to chose the fights you engage in.
Half the battle is won in the mechbay.

Edited by Klappspaten, 10 February 2015 - 05:02 AM.

#9 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 10 February 2015 - 05:44 AM

Going to have to concur with Divine Retribution on this one. If there is a game where he does not crack 2000 its because I shot him in back because he refused to get off my lawn :)

Seriously there are good mechs and bad. But the pilot can and WILL make the difference. Find a play style that you enjoy. Some players are gods at the long range sniper shot. Others excel in the murder ball up close and just unloading the daka. Either way a good team even not a full 12 man on voice coms working together will wreck hell.

#10 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:00 PM

View PostDivine Retribution, on 10 February 2015 - 03:45 AM, said:

I don't know why some people point to that as the end-all-be-all of mech builds. They are decent options for people that can't figure out decent builds on their own, I suppose. But honestly if you can't put together a decent mech on your own you probably can't pilot one very well either, rendering the question of what to pilot moot. Any good pilot running a gauss/LRM Atlas could probably ruin a poor pilot running a good Atlas build. I should also throw in that players will run what they can enjoy, why play when you don't have fun? Some people want to run non-min/maxed builds, so what?
I don't know who you are fighting with either. Which 12-man FRR units are constantly losing? [OLD] is currently FRR, we lost 1 match tonight when we only had a 3-man for a game... in 6 hours of gaming where we rarely had more than a 6-man. The other FRR groups and players that are in our games worked with us and we appreciate that by covering their backs as much as they cover ours. Skill levels vary, of course, as there is no Elo in CW. Players of any skill level can (and do) aid in a fight when they work with the team. I hope we also help them to improve, if they can, want to, or need to learn anything from us.
Skill levels also vary for clanners. You may have fought against a terrible 12-man with a group of PUG AWS-PBs and won; I doubt it was a decent group of enemies.
You've posted a couple times tonight basically stating that FRR pilots are terrible. Many of the FRR pilots are die-hards that have been playing a while. The few that remain are probably going to be here until the clans reach down their throats to pluck out their dying breaths. Most are probably about as good now as they will ever be. I've only ran across a few FRR pilots that said they are new. I doubt a new player that goes FRR would stay FRR for long.
Maybe you should focus your efforts on recruiting more pilots to the FRR rather than discouraging the few players we have left. We did lose multiple territories on Diosd because of clan ghost drops tonight, more bodies in the meat grinder would have helped. It seems everyone loves an underdog but the number of FRR pilots I see fighting seems to indicate not many have the fortitude to be the underdog. Many of the FRRs players left for easier fights elsewhere; convince them to come back. It's easier to convince others to join by offering words of hope and success than by saying no one knows how to point and click at the enemy.
*super shameless yet somewhat related plug follows*
If anyone in the FRR wants to improve their individual skills, wants to improve teamwork skills, or just wants to show us [OLD] farts how it's really done and carry us to victory (really, we would enjoy some downtime to play bingo), I'll post our info again.
We use Raidcall. Room ID: 4913355. Normal CW playtime from 3pm-10pm PST. We've also started dropping by the FRR Hub the last few nights to coordinate with other units, so you might also catch us there.
/[OLD] person rant

View PostKlappspaten, on 10 February 2015 - 03:29 AM, said:

Dude, you´re joining the wrong 12 mans.

I haven't played in a bit, but yeah, I've been noticing our groups faltering over and over. I'm not saying everyone is terrible, but I'm saying that I haven't seen much progress (stated in my other thread of the )

I forgot to write that the mech builds ain't the go-to, but rather the mech drop decks. I do believe that it's not the mech but the pilot, as I've found even some pugs to win with Pretty Baby (I played a few groups before, and found that for whatever reason there were at least 2/3s of my team with Pretty Babys. Not any Awesome, Pretty Babys. Then we won so well through a straight push into Omega). If one was to struggle however on actual gameplay I think metamechs is a good reference point; it's not an all in but a reference point.

I've played with you guys (OLD) in the past I believe; we did win some lose some from what I recall. As far as I recall not THAT perfectly.

For which 12 man I joined, I joined (with a friend or two or three or four at most) into FRR hub and found a group or two and joined up.

Sorry bout the aforementioned post, probably in a rush (or drunk but I don't think I was at that point). I'll put more effort and explain a bit more next time.

#11 Abivard

• Shredder
  • 1,935 posts
  • LocationFree Rasalhague Republic

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:24 PM

View Postluxebo, on 12 February 2015 - 07:00 PM, said:

I haven't played in a bit, but yeah, I've been noticing our groups faltering over and over. I'm not saying everyone is terrible, but I'm saying that I haven't seen much progress (stated in my other thread of the )

I forgot to write that the mech builds ain't the go-to, but rather the mech drop decks. I do believe that it's not the mech but the pilot, as I've found even some pugs to win with Pretty Baby (I played a few groups before, and found that for whatever reason there were at least 2/3s of my team with Pretty Babys. Not any Awesome, Pretty Babys. Then we won so well through a straight push into Omega). If one was to struggle however on actual gameplay I think metamechs is a good reference point; it's not an all in but a reference point.

I've played with you guys (OLD) in the past I believe; we did win some lose some from what I recall. As far as I recall not THAT perfectly.

For which 12 man I joined, I joined (with a friend or two or three or four at most) into FRR hub and found a group or two and joined up.

Sorry bout the aforementioned post, probably in a rush (or drunk but I don't think I was at that point). I'll put more effort and explain a bit more next time.

Have you considered that the one constant out of all these variables you keep mentioning may be what needs fixing?

#12 Mandrakerootes

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:09 AM

I personally never saw you on the FRR Hub luxebo so I dont know which guys you played with, but I can say with certainty that 95% on here that I played with are giving their best and are trying to improve and work as a unit even when they didnt drop with each other once beforehand. So I personally cannot share your experience.

For the mech thing, I see MM more like a reference sheet, because I know those builds are minmaxed I can compare them with my own and see if I improvements are possible or I simply didnt consider some things that can be done.

I often change minute details of the build just as often as I do not change them because I dont like the gameplay implications.

My general advice though is not to look at every build there but try to understand WHY he build the mechs the way he build them. A good starting point to learn mechbuilding is his Quirkathon if you ask me. Yeah its 6 hours llong but even I learned a couple of little things from him. My back armor used to be double of what it is now for example.(No it was not 4 =P)

#13 Killaxis

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 60 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 13 February 2015 - 07:57 AM

It is not only the Mech you bring but how you use it....I.E if you bring a support Mech then you need to support you team....really it all boils down to the pilot using the Mech he/she brought into battle for the purpose of the Mech....Team work, and some skill win the day.

#14 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 03:30 PM

God willing, I'll be able to get several intelligent pilots to fight for FRR. I haven't been able to play since alpha, but have just built my new PC and I'm loving it. I've got a ton of good friends I've made over years of online gaming, and they might enjoy this.

I played absolute tons of MW4+mektek over the years, and I'm about a middling pilot in most CW matches. I'll improve, though.

Hope to see you guys out there. Feel free to add me, Sandersson Jankins is the pilot name. I'm fond of kinetic weapons and fast movers, mainly.

Edited by Sandersson Jankins, 13 February 2015 - 06:17 PM.

#15 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 06:41 PM

View PostAbivard, on 12 February 2015 - 11:24 PM, said:

Have you considered that the one constant out of all these variables you keep mentioning may be what needs fixing?

You mean that I suck eh? Sometimes I get 0 damage in a TDR-9S cause I suck... then other times I win with over 1000 damage in the trial Dragon. I don't know to be honest, I'm a bit here and there, but I did decent-well in most CW games whether pugging or not.

View PostMandrakerootes, on 13 February 2015 - 06:09 AM, said:

I personally never saw you on the FRR Hub luxebo so I dont know which guys you played with, but I can say with certainty that 95% on here that I played with are giving their best and are trying to improve and work as a unit even when they didnt drop with each other once beforehand. So I personally cannot share your experience.
For the mech thing, I see MM more like a reference sheet, because I know those builds are minmaxed I can compare them with my own and see if I improvements are possible or I simply didnt consider some things that can be done.
I often change minute details of the build just as often as I do not change them because I dont like the gameplay implications.
My general advice though is not to look at every build there but try to understand WHY he build the mechs the way he build them. A good starting point to learn mechbuilding is his Quirkathon if you ask me. Yeah its 6 hours llong but even I learned a couple of little things from him. My back armor used to be double of what it is now for example.(No it was not 4 =P)

Exactly via on metamechs, just a reference sheet, not god/all-in-all.

I did play with Shield of Rasalhague, Theaus (plus a few other Sons of Odin), Pesolents (I believe he was the head of the group in 1st Hussars), and a bit with QQ Mercs (I don't believe I ever saw Abivard in CW but only in pug matching so I know he is in QQ). But some gamethroughs I did ages ago with these groups and that was during the time period where Lords, 228th, etc joined into FRR for a short time.

I also play with a small personal group (I know all the active members in the group but it's a small group; we even play via skype). But I don't believe I've ever got that group combined with any others.

View PostSandersson Jankins, on 13 February 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

God willing, I'll be able to get several intelligent pilots to fight for FRR. I haven't been able to play since alpha, but have just built my new PC and I'm loving it. I've got a ton of good friends I've made over years of online gaming, and they might enjoy this.
I played absolute tons of MW4+mektek over the years, and I'm about a middling pilot in most CW matches. I'll improve, though.
Hope to see you guys out there. Feel free to add me, Sandersson Jankins is the pilot name. I'm fond of kinetic weapons and fast movers, mainly.

Good sir, and yeah I used to play MW4 Mekpak 3.1 practically 24/7 with buddies. Sadly though a lot of em didn't really stick around to port to MWO or even just stay on MW4 Mekpak, so I'm left with a small group of buddies on Skype.

Once I'm done with the Op 24 thing I'll maybe have time on Sat-Sun-Mon since it's a 3 day weekend for me. Maybe I can join up for CW. I will admit that I'm not supreme in every case but will try (and maybe I get lucky and own a match).

#16 luxebo

• The 1 Percent
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:15 PM

@Robard, stalkers are in a good position, and I think thunderbolts are just right in their placement as of now. But I think the key to success is really piloting skills. Being a good pilot overthrows everything, except maybe teamwork as that is key too. Today actually I won two defensive matches on Nox and both were against a big premade CWI. We used subpar mechs (at least others would call subpar), like Pretty Baby, Golden Boy, some Locusts and commandoes, etc yet we still won. (Oh yeah and we had FRR people for once).

If each team simply dropped in TDR-9S repeatedly, but can't aim or pilot, and fail to work together, that is all for nought.

#17 DaemonWulfe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:48 PM

View PostRobard Sagioio, on 15 February 2015 - 04:16 PM, said:

I think thunderbolts and stalkers are ugly as hell so when they say take a heavy or take a sniper, even though they mean thunderbolt, I take a sniper cataphract

Better take back what you said about Stalkers! Mine are all beautiful killing machines!

From my personal experience running with mixed groups on the FRR hub, we've had some awesome winning streaks. The only time we don't do good is when up against a really good comp team or we have a handful of pilots that don't go with the plan. An example, last night we had a run where everyone was supposed to bring two lights and two fat boys, starting with a rush and leaving the second light as an ace in the pocket. By the time we got to the last "wave", we found that only 4 or 5 pilots saved an extra light. The rest came back with all manners of chassis size. As you can guess, we tried a rush with what we had to salvage the match, but our remaining lights split up during the match and the last of the fat boys died while flailing uselessly from a few hundred meters inside the gate on the new map.

My recommendation, watch for telltale signs you're with a bad group: no clear leadership, not discussing drop deck while in queue, a rush to hurry people along before checking load outs, players who have an assault selected when everyone else is 35 tons or lighter, and players who seem to "wander" once the match starts.

If you see these signs before dropping, save yourself the headache and find another group immediately after (politely, hopefully) bowing out of the group. If you've managed to hit the ground and see trouble right off the bat, just finish the match as painlessly as possible and beat feet to another group.

Edited by DaemonWulfe, 20 February 2015 - 02:05 PM.

#18 Divine Retribution

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 648 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:28 PM

Now that Hellbringers are out for C-Bills they are everywhere.

Before it wasn't the best choice to bring LRMs vs the clans, now it's a flat out terrible idea. Some might argue that they can still do all right with LRMs after fighting PUGs, but anything can be useful vs PUGs. Against larger groups those LRMs are an even bigger liability than before.

This public service announcement goes out to the very few of you that remain fighting for the FRR.

#19 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 04 March 2015 - 01:45 PM

View PostManitoulin, on 09 February 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

2x Thunderbolt 9SS W/ 4 ER-LLs.
1x Thunderbolt 9ss w/ 7-MPLs or, 1 Thunderbolt 9s W/2 ERPPC and 3 MPLs or, 1 Thundrebolt 9SE W/ 3-LPLs and 2 MLS.
1x Cicada 3M w/ 2ERLLs OR 1x Firsetarter 9A or 9S SPLs

This drop deck will let you do lots of damage, but more importantly give you lots of kills if you're re consistent with your aiming.

#20 Leeroy Mechkins

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 581 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 12:45 AM

2 QKD-4K with 4LL + 2 TDR-5SS with 6MPLs and heatsinks
Start off with large laser mid-range pokery then end with mobile thunderwubery.

Edited by Leeroy Mechkins, 10 March 2015 - 12:46 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users