Balance BattleMechs

55 replies to this topic

#41 Clydewinder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 447 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:06 PM

4 or 5 JJ, dont remember. Gauss, 3 MPL, 2 SRM4. Nice little brawler with the Gauss to fire when heat gets too high. Good speed too, 80kph or something like that.

#42 HAV0C

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 381 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:23 PM

I for one hope to see the Highanders returned to relevence as they are my personal all time favorite Battlemech, regardless of era. Note my Signature below.

Improving Jump Jet thrust would be an immense help, as Highlanders pay a full 2 tons per Jet for mounting them. For the default 3, thats 6 tons and 3 crits eaten up. I'd like to be able to jump the ~90 meters we're supposed to be able to with 3 Jets equipped.

I'll also note that I am a long time Highlander pilot from all the way back in Tabletop Battletech days and I never participated in the Jump Sniper/Poptart meta of the past few years in MWO. I run my Highlanders mostly Stock with very few changes outside of more ammo and engine swaps//Endo Steel/Artemis V FCS. I enjoy the challenge of using my HGN 732 in this way, and have my 733C and Heavy metal built out to be more brawly in nature.

Hopefully we'll see more quirks and/or improvements made to the Highlanders in general soon. Time will tell I suppose.

<S> See you rowdy lot Dirtside in the mean time.

-Colonel Andrew "Havoc" Davis
Death's Hand Brigade Mercenaries

Edited by HAV0C, 25 February 2015 - 08:34 PM.

#43 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:07 PM

I am just glad that I did not buy any more victors' after I got the free one

The grind for C-bills is pretty bad so I don't want to waste my time and effort on a crap Mech

#44 Karpi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts
  • LocationSantiago, Chile

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

I never go on rants, but man is the highlander slugish! I wish it could feel like pre launch again. They just feel slow for everything. Nevermind getting over terrain. My atlas feels more versatile. And what about quircks? Even the King Crab 000 gets more for its dual ac20 than the 733C... Come on pgi, throw us a biscuit! Make the highlander viable again! More ballistic quircks!

#45 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 01:40 AM

Yeah, these mechs have suffered long enough for being meta kings. Give em some love PGI!

#46 Soul Tribunal

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 606 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:23 AM

Not being the greatest assault player but I'll chime in.
I have a pretty good plethora of These mechs, and I think the Victors problem really is two-fold (I don't have a Highlander yet so no opinions there).
Its the lowest weight class in the assault grouping, so it gets hindered by that because it can only carry so much armor, and most times runs an XL to give it a decent payload. So its somewhat fragile from the beginning. As well, its hardpoints are a bit lackluster, a few more E points would help at least since clusters of Mediums at least can do something just by volume.

It does need some love, faster general ballistics quirks, more LT/RT Structure perhaps?
Either that or make MM actually weigh the opposing teams, so one that has 2 Awesomes and 1 Victor doesn't get matched against 2 Crabs and an Atlas.

Just my thoughts, but I do feel the Victor's sun set a long time ago and its hard to say if its ever coming back.

-ST

#47 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:38 AM

I think Victors are still burdened by being them most effective ppc jump snipers for a very long time. PGI had a hard time understanding the problem even then. They kept nerfing the Victors instead of fixing the problems with PPCs etc. And now I think people believe the Victors are a bit better than they really are.

But I do think we have to be very careful about what quirks we give the Victors. I believe it would be a mistake to give them quirks to make them back into jump snipers. Because while that was effective many people even the ones playing them did not like the game play that much. I would much rather have quirks that boosted other types of game play.

Here is what I am thinking for the Victor. Make it into what it really was supposed to be and that is really agile close/midrange striker. So give it buffs that reflect that.

"The Victor approaches the concept of support in an unorthodox way for a 'Mech of its weight class. While only possessing a ground speed of 64.8 km/h, the Victor achieves a high degree of mobility instead through the use of four jump jets, allowing it to jump up to one hundred and twenty meters. A Victor can therefore "support" friendly units by jumping directly into the fray and bringing its deadly close range arsenal to bear, an ability which can surprise inexperienced Mechwarriors and prove advantageous in mountainous terrain. One sacrifice made for this superb mobility is the 'Mech's relatively light armor of only eleven and a half tons, while the lack of proper anti-infantry capabilities is a minor problem.[5][4]" http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Victor

#48 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:49 AM

Posted Today, 09:38 AM
I think Victors are still burdened by being them most effective ppc jump snipers for a very long time. PGI had a hard time understanding the problem even then. They kept nerfing the Victors instead of fixing the problems with PPCs etc. And now I think people believe the Victors are a bit better than they really are.

But I do think we have to be very careful about what quirks we give the Victors. I believe it would be a mistake to give them quirks to make them back into jump snipers. Because while that was effective many people even the ones playing them did not like the game play that much. I would much rather have quirks that boosted other types of game play.

Here is what I am thinking for the Victor. Make it into what it really was supposed to be and that is really agile close/midrange striker. So give it buffs that reflect that.

"The Victor approaches the concept of support in an unorthodox way for a 'Mech of its weight class. While only possessing a ground speed of 64.8 km/h, the Victor achieves a high degree of mobility instead through the use of four jump jets, allowing it to jump up to one hundred and twenty meters. A Victor can therefore "support" friendly units by jumping directly into the fray and bringing its deadly close range arsenal to bear, an ability which can surprise inexperienced Mechwarriors and prove advantageous in mountainous terrain. One sacrifice made for this superb mobility is the 'Mech's relatively light armor of only eleven and a half tons, while the lack of proper anti-infantry capabilities is a minor problem.[5][4]" http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Victor

Victor is pretty weak, you would think with 90 armor CT it would have some staying power but it goes down like a Jager

Maybe that's why they were giving them away

For a while I even took the engine out so that I could not use it
I think it received a slight buff
My Victor can mount 2 ERLL's but so can my Raven and the Raven can very quickly move in and out of cover
Bottom line if you want to help your team don't take a Victor

#49 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:04 AM

I think Victors are still pretty decent mechs actually, highlanders do seem awful though.

But I do think jumpjets should actually allow jumping for all mechs that have them. And I like jumpsniping, it should be a viable tactic. Not dominating the game like before, but not completely useless like it is now either.

#50 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:27 AM

View PostClydewinder, on 24 February 2015 - 03:13 PM, said:

I see at least one every time I play.

Yes if I play for four hours straight i might see one or two and usually with a (C) at the end, in the last week I've seen one DS, when they used to be as lousy as fleas on a dog, or stormcrow.

I see more Awesomes in matches now, than Victors. I've even seen a Pretty Baby go out for a spin.

Other than sheer obstinacy, there is no reason to take a Vic out anymore,and I'm a big fan, of Vics its one of two mechs I bought for MC's before it arrived in C-bill form, the Stormcrow cheese, is a much better mech, and its 25 tons lighter.

#51 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 26 February 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

They need torso twist and turning buffs, the JJ's we're the problem and they gimped the twist speeds before, the JJ nerf. and they need it back to spread damage.

#52 Karpi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts
  • LocationSantiago, Chile

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

View PostCathy, on 26 February 2015 - 11:27 AM, said:

Yes if I play for four hours straight i might see one or two and usually with a (C) at the end, in the last week I've seen one DS, when they used to be as lousy as fleas on a dog, or stormcrow.

I see more Awesomes in matches now, than Victors. I've even seen a Pretty Baby go out for a spin.

Other than sheer obstinacy, there is no reason to take a Vic out anymore,and I'm a big fan, of Vics its one of two mechs I bought for MC's before it arrived in C-bill form, the Stormcrow cheese, is a much better mech, and its 25 tons lighter.

I take out my Pretty Baby more than any of my victors or highlanders and rack up more kills doing it

#53 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 26 February 2015 - 08:50 PM

Im betting its because they dont want poptarting coming back and they cant figure out any quirks that will not cause that to happen lol

Im not saying there arent any, Im saying THEY cant think of any

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 26 February 2015 - 07:38 AM, said:

Except in this game, it led to poptarting, not brawling lol

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 26 February 2015 - 08:48 PM.

#54 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:27 PM

Except in this game, it led to poptarting, not brawling lol
That was more a PPC problem. You can have decent jump jets and do other things to stop poptarting. Shoot give the Victors great JJs and negative PPC quirks. Fixed.

#55 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:51 AM

You're funny guys, first you ask PGI to nerf Victors and Highlanders then you ask to buff them, make up your mind already.

#56 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 27 February 2015 - 12:54 AM

Poptarting is dead anyway.
Gauss+PPC don't synergize that well anymore (Gauss loading and different velocities) and we got Clan mechs now which have higher range and can pack more firepower than Highlander or Victor and still can jump.
And if someone would try to poptart, that mech would be blasted to tiny bits in seconds, give the fact that you can't cover or dodge while jumping up to shoot.
And cockpit shake while jumping makes it pretty much impossible to aim at something.

So, no. I don't think there would be any problem with poptarting if they let the mechs fly again.

Funny fact: Till it was removed in the latest quirk pass, Victor was the only mech with a negative quirk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users