The Problem

80 replies to this topic

#21 dervishx5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 10:50 PM

Not before Russ presses the reset on his NES.

#22 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:28 AM

View Postjeirhart, on 23 February 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

We are. It may take a few cycles but we will get to Liao in time.

I'm not worried. The crazy algorithm seems to do everything to keep the Clans from going south.

#23 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

Well, one thing to remember is that if clanners actually attack clanners in earnest, it breaks the attack lanes and screws up the map. There is no real ceasefire, it's more of a mutually assured dysfunction that noone wants to start. Theres a few games here and there and sometimes some last minute fights when it doesn't matter and the IS attack lanes are all locked up, but for the most part, attacking other clans is just pissing in your own cheerios.

I like OP's idea of saying **** the lore though. Unless we are trying to recreate operation revival, the map should be set up for be more competitive instead of trying to force lore onto a system that won't play out like the lore at all. OR, make it like a real planetary league and use troop movements and repair and rearm to make setting it up like the lore actually make sense with the gameplay.

#24 dervishx5

• The Workhorse
  • The Workhorse
  • 3,473 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:22 AM

If we wanted to recreate operation revival, then the algorithm should have preset planets for the clans to conquer. But what's the fun in that?

#25 DaFrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • 421 posts
  • Locationmontreal

Posted 24 February 2015 - 10:39 AM

So I stand by my statement. CLANS made the advancement because of mercs.

#26 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:43 PM

View PostDaFrog, on 23 February 2015 - 09:38 PM, said:

There are no clans, just a bunch of mercs. How big is clan population playing CW if we take out the mercs?

CSJ has quite a few Perm Contract units, SA being one of them. also only got help for a few weeks from 228 and REM. MS, CI, and others have never joined CSJ.

View PostDaFrog, on 24 February 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

and the FRR shrinks every time Mercs leave and takes back planets every time they are around? Whats your point other then the MERC contracts are broken and they hold to much power currently vs smaller factions especially.

Edited by DarthRevis, 24 February 2015 - 01:45 PM.

#27 Tilley

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:25 PM

The clans would battle each other, if they weren't shut down from overheating

Edited by Tilley, 24 February 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#28 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostHelloKittyWarfare, on 23 February 2015 - 04:27 AM, said:

Simple. By the numbers, the inner sphere will fall sooner or later. Just because we, the Inner Sphere Factions, don't care about cooperation nowadays.

Fighting successfully against the Clans require cooperation, coordination, and communication to be successful, at least when the big units are on the Clan side. If half the players are on one 'side' you need the other half on the other.

It also doesn't help that every change PGI makes to balance the game just proves that 240 tons of IS mechs do not equal 240 tons of Clan mechs- no one likes being on the weaker side.

#29 Roadbeer

• Elite Founder
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationWazan, Zion Cluster

Posted 24 February 2015 - 03:32 PM

View PostHelloKittyWarfare, on 23 February 2015 - 04:27 AM, said:

Just because we, the Inner Sphere Factions, don't care about cooperation nowadays.

As opposed to?

#30 LoklanZFG

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationWraeclast

Posted 24 February 2015 - 04:52 PM

Considering the population imbalances and fluctuations, and where ALL the mercs were located when ceasefires changed to allow 3 planets a day to be taken, I'm surprised the clans aren't at Terra already. Thanks, lolgorithm! :D

But the CW beta seems to be a success so far in my opinion. They have made some good changes to the way things work, with room for improvement still. I've been having a tremendous amount of fun, and the community has certainly been going to war

Edited by LoklanZFG, 24 February 2015 - 04:53 PM.

#31 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:26 PM

View PostHARDKOR, on 24 February 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

OR, make it like a real planetary league and use troop movements and repair and rearm to make setting it up like the lore actually make sense with the gameplay.

This would fix a LOT of problems with CW, to include ghost dropping, faction hopping, etc.

Edited by Benjamin Davion, 24 February 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#32 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

God can you imagine having logistics in this game? Do you guys really think that having to pay for repair and rearming would be fun? they tried it and it was not fun.

#33 jeirhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 277 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 06:40 PM

Arguments made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence.

I have clearly stated the Clans have made significant advancement without the assistance (and sometimes with the hindrance of) mercenary units and sited examples. Please do so yourself if you wish to claim Clans rely on mercs to advance.

#34 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:01 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 23 February 2015 - 06:11 AM, said:

This is part of it. It's also the fact that PUG dropping against the Clans (or any group) isn't a lot of fun: no one likes losing over and over and over again against well-organized teams, with good pilots, using the strongest weapons in the game.

Just to follow up with this, IS PUGs in general queue-equipped mechs have a difficult time handling the longer range clan weapons (so they say) and decide it is better to fight those with similar mechs and setups.

On top of that 3 of the Houses have attack/defense with 2-3 other Houses and no Clans. Other than lore, individually there are no incentives to fight Clans on a defensive level, and currently no way to actually launch attacks, or the incentive to launch attacks if it was possible.

A possible incentive - earn enough points fighting Clans to allow you to use one Clan mech in your drop deck while fighting Clans. It is an out of the box suggestion, while the real movers should be the community itself.

#35 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:57 AM

Hi.

We have virtually no mercs. (Lords technically mercs, hopping between FRR and CJF every few weeks, QQ occasionally stops by for a week or two for funsies.)

Please explain how the smallest clan faction has the highest planet count and is only 1 behind the FWL in net gain?

Must be mercs, yeah?

Edited by Wingbreaker, 25 February 2015 - 02:57 AM.

#36 An Anime Princess

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 229 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:20 PM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 24 February 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

God can you imagine having logistics in this game? Do you guys really think that having to pay for repair and rearming would be fun? they tried it and it was not fun.

uhhhhhhhhhh actually that sounds like epic win. *drool pools in puddle beneath chair*

#37 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

View PostWingbreaker, on 25 February 2015 - 02:57 AM, said:

Hi.

We have virtually no mercs. (Lords technically mercs, hopping between FRR and CJF every few weeks, QQ occasionally stops by for a week or two for funsies.)

Please explain how the smallest clan faction has the highest planet count and is only 1 behind the FWL in net gain?

Must be mercs, yeah?

The mercs from the other 3 Clans defend your borders for you? :P

#38 Wingbreaker

Troubadour

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 1,724 posts
  • LocationThe city that care forgot

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostDavers, on 28 February 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

The mercs from the other 3 Clans defend your borders for you? :P

When it's 100+ attackers on a planet, ain't no damn way CJF is going to stop it themselves. Better to hit the attack whilst everyone can drop to defend.

The EU steiner zerg is real, but this has kept us moving forward.

Edited by Wingbreaker, 28 February 2015 - 04:43 PM.

#39 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:47 PM

View PostWingbreaker, on 28 February 2015 - 04:43 PM, said:

When it's 100+ attackers on a planet, ain't no damn way CJF is going to stop it themselves. Better to hit the attack whilst everyone can drop to defend.

The EU steiner zerg is real, but this has kept us moving forward.

So don't be dissin all your merc defenders.

#40 Soy

• 3,689 posts
  • Locationtrue Lord system

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

View PostYCSLiesmith, on 24 February 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

It was a lot of fun, gave the game more risk vs reward based on what mech you played, and gave the game a sense of immersion.

Whiners cried about it and it was removed, and seeing as how PGI can't make an actual persistent state universe for us to interact with CW, instead making it a grind, perhaps taking out R&R helps lower the grind of this game, but that's not a legit reason.

You people cry about everything.

If this game had some sort of risk vs reward, dictated by logistics and R&R, there might be actual intrigue to the superficial joke that CW currently is.

Edited by Soy, 28 February 2015 - 05:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users