192 replies to this topic

#81 Huoshini

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 72 posts
  • LocationTip of the spear!

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:53 AM

Honestly, I think the mech balance is in a great place right now. In CW, the IS and clans feel more evenly matched then they ever have.

#82 Mordin Ashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

I hope at least one Clan light gets proper quirks... at least one, please!

#83 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 27 February 2015 - 10:58 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 27 February 2015 - 10:21 AM, said:

I would have rather seen some "real" fixes too like fixed equipment unlocking, ES/FF unlocking, limited engine unlocks, additional omnipods, etc before adding any cheap bandaids like quirks.

I do not see how breaking canon stuff and rules even more is better than cheap bandaid fixes honestly. A lot of the balancing crap started when PGI decided IS BattleMechs are better than legos..

#84 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 05:49 PM

View PostRepasy, on 26 February 2015 - 02:59 PM, said:

1. Sarcasm is sarcasm. I get it, but it's lame and condescending at best. 2. I ain't whining. They said they're gonna do a quirk pass and I appreciate knowing just that. I don't care what the quirks are so long as it balances the game and DOESN'T sway the pendulum in the opposite direction. 3. If you got a problem with the Ice Ferret, you're just not using it right. I've got a better record with that mech than I do with most of my other mechs.

To quote Russ (via twitter) - A little tweet for the Clan players - discussed quirks today - very interesting concept materializing to use the omnipod system - excited

So the Ice Feces is getting tweaks based on it's omnipods...What tweaks would you give it to make it's prime configuration remotely useful. Because it appears if you change omnipods, you change quirks. If you're thinking some 50% quirks, I'd say you're not dealing in reality. It is simply a bad design, and only unreasonable quirks would make it useful. I don't believe ANY clan mech will get more than a 10% quirk, and even that should be for some minor thing like a 10% faster arm movement.

And yes it must just be me who can't use them, after all I can hardly move around in CW without bumping into all the Ice Feces people are running around in.....

Maybe you don't think so, but asking for this quirk or that quirk or this or that nerf is whining to me. Accept that some mechs are just inferior, if you want to run them for fun - fine have fun in them (which you can do with or without quirks). If you want to win, then realize that there will always be superior and inferior mechs, true "balance" is impossible in any game. If you think the mech is so good (after all you do so well in it), then you shouldn't be asking for ANY quirks. Just keep kicking butt in it and be happy you're so much better than others....

#85 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 27 February 2015 - 11:45 PM

View PostMoenrg, on 27 February 2015 - 05:49 PM, said:

To quote Russ (via twitter) - A little tweet for the Clan players - discussed quirks today - very interesting concept materializing to use the omnipod system - excited

So the Ice Feces is getting tweaks based on it's omnipods...What tweaks would you give it to make it's prime configuration remotely useful. Because it appears if you change omnipods, you change quirks. If you're thinking some 50% quirks, I'd say you're not dealing in reality. It is simply a bad design, and only unreasonable quirks would make it useful. I don't believe ANY clan mech will get more than a 10% quirk, and even that should be for some minor thing like a 10% faster arm movement.

And yes it must just be me who can't use them, after all I can hardly move around in CW without bumping into all the Ice Feces people are running around in.....

Maybe you don't think so, but asking for this quirk or that quirk or this or that nerf is whining to me. Accept that some mechs are just inferior, if you want to run them for fun - fine have fun in them (which you can do with or without quirks). If you want to win, then realize that there will always be superior and inferior mechs, true "balance" is impossible in any game. If you think the mech is so good (after all you do so well in it), then you shouldn't be asking for ANY quirks. Just keep kicking butt in it and be happy you're so much better than others....

Apparently you don't read. When did I ever say anything about a 50% quirk? It seems to me the only person here whining is you. You seem dead set on shooting down this prospective quirk pass as a dumb idea, and you fail to provide ANY constructive criticism. Go spout your nonsense somewhere else, f***ing hypocrite.

#86 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:23 AM

View PostRepasy, on 26 February 2015 - 11:17 AM, said:

Gauss heat? Lol ur fos man. If clanners do get quirks yea they won't be as outrageous as is quirks, they don't need to be. I'd prefer quirks that support stock omnis JUST ENOUGH to balance the playing field. Nobody wan't quirks that will break the game, THAT MUCH IS OBVIOUS.

I love the PRYDE too, play that one a lot :P

View PostRepasy, on 27 February 2015 - 11:45 PM, said:

Apparently you don't read. When did I ever say anything about a 50% quirk? It seems to me the only person here whining is you. You seem dead set on shooting down this prospective quirk pass as a dumb idea, and you fail to provide ANY constructive criticism. Go spout your nonsense somewhere else, f***ing hypocrite.

Ok, Einstein, what possible quirks do you propose for the Ice Ferret prime that balance it (your own words) against mechs like the Stormcrow, the Hunchback, The Centurion, The Shadow Hawk, the Enforcer, the Blackjack or even the Firestarter. It has limited hardpoints, low available tonnage, poor weapon locations and bad hitboxes. I'm just realistic enough to realize, that short of insane quirks, that's not going to happen. It's a bad design, even Russ had said that not all mechs will end up competitive, because, unlike you, he realizes it's impossible.

So yes quirks will probably make it better, but those expecting quirks to "balance it" are fooling themselves at best. If you like the mech or want to use it, then STFU and figure out a way to do so. Accept it for what it is and move on. Stop whining to PGI to help you. As for me, I acknowledge the mech for the steaming pile it is and move on. I've mastered it and have no intention of ever using it again.

Look, many people don't like the gargoyle. I happen to like it and do pretty well in it (here's a tip - try to never fight from above the enemy). The biggest quirk I would like to see it get, is to change it's movement profile to that of a heavy (large, I believe, as opposed to huge). If it gets any quirks to energy weapons - fine, but it really doesn't need them for me. Nor will I whine to PGI to add them or complain if they don't. I accept the mech the way it is. It will never be a competitive mech, it has limited weapon tonnage and bad hardpoint locations, but it is a fun mech the way I play it. If you think that makes me a hypocrite, well I think you're too stupid to understand what the word means.

#87 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:39 AM

More stuff to break imho, but could be interesting. What ever happened to elegant design and simple solutions?

Still waiting for the fix for an intermittant bug of not being able to modify the armour on some mechs after new purchases and the game greying out and freezing. It has been a bug for months that simply spoils the MWO experience for me. Especially then having to wait for a later fix or patch on the off chance it might then allow you to modify the mechs you bought.

All this additional Database traffic will likley slow things down anyhow, and moreso with the more mechs you purchase, especially if and when it comes to the idea of showing the right values in the mechlab.

Seems the code is working against the notion of encouraging people to purchase infrastructure.

Edited by Noesis, 28 February 2015 - 04:43 AM.

#88 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:46 AM

Then, you should also accept that the Ice Ferret has a role, especially in CW (it is great for gen rushes) and it is also a very nice brawler (in my first match with it i did not do 1000+ damage, but i fought alone vs a Cicada and a Panther at the same time and destroyed both of them, it was very exciting).

So i think good quirks are not obscenely srong bonuses, but those that emphasize the role of the 'Mech. I cannot understand, for example, why the ERPPC quirks on the Thunderbolt, when they are not quite about PPCs.. I could understand more armor quirks or more generic weapon buffs, considering they are designed to have mixes of different weapons.

For the Ice Ferret, i would like to see acceleration, torso turn rate and maybe some armor quirks. Maybe some missile weapons cooldown/heat gen bonuses, but not too high. Of course, weeks of live test are the best way to tune quirks.

#89 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:28 AM

View PostCyclonerM, on 28 February 2015 - 04:46 AM, said:

Then, you should also accept that the Ice Ferret has a role, especially in CW (it is great for gen rushes) and it is also a very nice brawler (in my first match with it i did not do 1000+ damage, but i fought alone vs a Cicada and a Panther at the same time and destroyed both of them, it was very exciting).

So i think good quirks are not obscenely srong bonuses, but those that emphasize the role of the 'Mech. I cannot understand, for example, why the ERPPC quirks on the Thunderbolt, when they are not quite about PPCs.. I could understand more armor quirks or more generic weapon buffs, considering they are designed to have mixes of different weapons.

For the Ice Ferret, i would like to see acceleration, torso turn rate and maybe some armor quirks. Maybe some missile weapons cooldown/heat gen bonuses, but not too high. Of course, weeks of live test are the best way to tune quirks.

While I disagree with your opinion that the Ice Ferret is "great for generator rushes in CW" (I find it's lack of JJ and/or ECM hampers it greatly in that role and expect the Arctic Cheetah to excel in that role), I do agree that PGI should implement modest quirks that emphasize a mech's role. Expecting quirks to "balance it" is, imo, unrealistic and asking for said quirks is whining. Accept what some mechs can do, use them to the best of your ability, and stop asking for handouts (leave that to freebirths).

Edited by Moenrg, 28 February 2015 - 05:32 AM.

#90 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:41 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 25 February 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

Without Ghost Heat or other weird MWO-specific issues many of the canon builds would be great.

Imagine Nova Prime with 7 damage 5 heat ERML again and no Ghost Heat.

Imagine Warhawk Prime with full 15 damage Clan ERPPC, True DHS, no ghost heat and the crappy LRM 10 and its ammo removed in lieu of more DHS.

Imagine Adder Prime with true DHS and full 15 damage Clan ERPPC.

etc, etc

It would be great what you suggested :) but will probably never happen as you crying players will whine to devs for more NERFS we have all seen how this farce has gone over past 3 years

#91 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:44 AM

Has anyone purchased Clan Wave 3 yet ? Note Guys as of to day early adopter rewards ends you get an additional 4 new Variations of the Wave 3 Mech

#92 Grey Death Storm

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 290 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:07 AM

View Postreddevil, on 25 February 2015 - 01:14 PM, said:

I don't understand. How can getting quirks be bad?

because usually there is a catch and i bet next time i fire up one my clan mechs ill be in middle battle then that penny will drop they nerfed something.

#93 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

View PostMoenrg, on 28 February 2015 - 04:23 AM, said:

Ok, Einstein, what possible quirks do you propose for the Ice Ferret prime that balance it (your own words) against mechs like the Stormcrow, the Hunchback, The Centurion, The Shadow Hawk, the Enforcer, the Blackjack or even the Firestarter. It has limited hardpoints, low available tonnage, poor weapon locations and bad hitboxes. I'm just realistic enough to realize, that short of insane quirks, that's not going to happen. It's a bad design, even Russ had said that not all mechs will end up competitive, because, unlike you, he realizes it's impossible.

So yes quirks will probably make it better, but those expecting quirks to "balance it" are fooling themselves at best. If you like the mech or want to use it, then STFU and figure out a way to do so. Accept it for what it is and move on. Stop whining to PGI to help you. As for me, I acknowledge the mech for the steaming pile it is and move on. I've mastered it and have no intention of ever using it again.

Look, many people don't like the gargoyle. I happen to like it and do pretty well in it (here's a tip - try to never fight from above the enemy). The biggest quirk I would like to see it get, is to change it's movement profile to that of a heavy (large, I believe, as opposed to huge). If it gets any quirks to energy weapons - fine, but it really doesn't need them for me. Nor will I whine to PGI to add them or complain if they don't. I accept the mech the way it is. It will never be a competitive mech, it has limited weapon tonnage and bad hardpoint locations, but it is a fun mech the way I play it. If you think that makes me a hypocrite, well I think you're too stupid to understand what the word means.

See, I knew you had it all wrong. Why the heck would you ever compare an Ice Ferret to a Shadow Hawk? or a Firestarter? What are you smoking? I'd love some.

Ice Ferret. aka "Wolf Hunter"

It's a highly capable scout mech that can be configured for fire support and quick strikes. If I HAD to pick an IS mech to compare with it, I'd choose the Cicada. Roughly same speed, same damage output, and within 5 tons of each other. They both fill roughly the same roles too. They're best suited for second-line fire support, and for running down stragglers with exposed internals to finish them off. If you're playing your Ice Ferret like anything but a Cicada, shame on you! Lol.

So, what advantages does the Ice Ferret have over the Cicada? Armor coverage. If the weapons load is not sufficient for you, then why don't you start by siphoning some of that armor tonnage into weapons tonnage? If the hard points don't work for you, some quick omni-pod shuffling can give you up to 5 hard points. Personally, I'd never get rid of the armor though. It's the main advantage of the Ice Ferret. It can take twice the beating of a Cicada, but it's still got the same speed to outmaneuver heavies/assaults, and it's got the same weapons capabilities to chew off armor. I can't think of a better hunter-killer mech than the Ice Ferret tbh. My k/d ratio in the mech is freaking 6.00 right now!! That's more than double of any of my other mechs!

What quirks would they throw on the Ice Ferret? It probably doesn't even need much quirking imo. Maybe it will get a +10% cooldown on energy weapons, or a -7.5% heat generation for energy weapons. Or maybe we'll see -10% lock-on time, or +10% LB2-X velocity... who knows? Surely not so outrageous as a 50% modification of anything, that would be total hog sh*t.

I think when I said 'balance' it must have struck a nerve, you seem to have taken my comments waaaaaaaay out of proportion. 'Balance' does not mean 'Break the Game' okay? When they try to balance the game, they're simply trying to up the appeal slightly of mechs that rarely get used. A balanced game would see all chassis get equal playtime, NOT because every mech is of equal standing, but because every mech has something to offer. An unbalanced game sees everyone gravitate towards a small percentage of chassis because they stand above the others in every situation.

I would NEVER EVER EVER bring an Ice Ferret to combat against a Firestarter, or a Shadow Hawk, or ANY of the other mechs you mentioned above.

Now having said that, if I were to go up against a Timber Wolf or an Atlas, I would love to see them try to hit me... ;)

#94 Noesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,436 posts
  • LocationIn the Lab

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:03 PM

Ferrett is better in a role as a scout/harrasser than a brawler. I would certainly choose another mech over the Ferret if I wanted to get in close. I would much prefer and expect the Stormcrow, shadowhawk, jenner or Firestarter to out perform the Ferret up close.

Not saying that you couldn't use it as such and am sure it could still perform well but I would expect other platforms to be a better choice for that purpose that relatively would bring you better results.

Edited by Noesis, 28 February 2015 - 01:04 PM.

#95 LordKnightFandragon

• 7,239 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:09 PM

Hopefully the WHK-P gets some nice CERPPC quirks. Hopefully it doesnt turn into 9s 2.0, but rather, it gets nice velocity buffs, a moderate heat dissipation buff and a mild heat generation buff for the CERPPC.

Maybe combine the LA/RA the WHK-P gets
-10% to CERPPC heat generation
+30% CERPPC Velocity
-10% to CERPPC Cool down

All WHK LT should get atleast a +10% Heat dissipation buff
WHK-P CT gets a -10% to Energy Heat generation....

View Postshad0w4life, on 25 February 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

FINALLY

I'm going home and firing up MW 2 then I'm just going to click to hear the sexy Betty say "SUMMONER" over and over and over and over and over.
Can I request that feature in MWO please, have it announce a mech when you click on it :D

For the love of pete, pls let this bring JJ quirks, I'd love to see Highlanders and Summoner get %50 more JJ burn time or something to really add some flavor.

Lol, MW2 bitchin' betty was the best bitchin betty voice in any of hte MW games....why doesnt PGI just buy the voice packs from Activision and use those? They made the game feel more epic.

Primary Objective, destroy all enemy mech units, successful!
Proceed to dustoff site for extraction
Nav Iota Reached, Mission successful

#96 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostLordKnightFandragon, on 28 February 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

Lol, MW2 bitchin' betty was the best bitchin betty voice in any of hte MW games....why doesnt PGI just buy the voice packs from Activision and use those? They made the game feel more epic.

Primary Objective, destroy all enemy mech units, successful!
Proceed to dustoff site for extraction
Nav Iota Reached, Mission successful

OMG IKR? Surely there must be someone @ their offices that could voice this stuff?

#97 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:01 PM

View PostRepasy, on 28 February 2015 - 12:43 PM, said:

What quirks would they throw on the Ice Ferret? It probably doesn't even need much quirking imo. Maybe it will get a +10% cooldown on energy weapons, or a -7.5% heat generation for energy weapons. Or maybe we'll see -10% lock-on time, or +10% LB2-X velocity... who knows? Surely not so outrageous as a 50% modification of anything, that would be total hog sh*t.

I acknowledge that these quirks would be reasonable, and I can understand your desire to compare it to the Cicada, as it too is a rather lackluster mech. I think the high weapons and ECM (at least on the 3M) tend to balance out the Cicada nicely. But none of your listed quirks would entice me to use it in any way. Maybe we play in different timezones, but assaults never have trouble hitting it when I play. If fact it's mostly ignored while more deadly mechs are removed first, then cleaned up without much thought as it simply can't outrun most freebirth lights. I can't say I've ever worried while facing one - it's largish size make it fairly easy to hit. Legging it is largely not necessary.

I guess we'll agree to disagree. No amount of sane quirks will entice me to add one to my dropdeck. It is the absolute last mech (out of around 100 that I own) that I would ever think of dropping in, as I've told others, I'd rather have a root canal than use that mech. It is my lowest K/D mech, by a large margin. Most of my mechs have a K/D almost 3 times higher, and my best ones beat it by around 5 times.

#98 Shabahh Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 128 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:16 PM

Besides the warhawk summoner and adder prime which needs quirks, I'm also hoping the Timberwolf prime stock is better made with quirks. It's always been my favorite. I already play it near stock.

Edited by Shabahh Kerensky, 02 March 2015 - 05:16 PM.

#99 NUJRSYDEVIL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 331 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 05:27 PM

The Stormcrow and Timberwolf are beasts when all omnipods match up. For all other mechs some mixing and matching is needed. If this is what our quirks are based off of, that's BS.

#100 Lucky Moniker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 452 posts
  • LocationSeaside, CA

Posted 02 March 2015 - 06:57 PM

View PostShabahh Kerensky, on 02 March 2015 - 05:16 PM, said:

Besides the warhawk summoner and adder prime which needs quirks, I'm also hoping the Timberwolf prime stock is better made with quirks. It's always been my favorite. I already play it near stock.

you do realize you are asking them to buff literally one of the best mechs in the entire game?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users