486 replies to this topic

#41 Violent Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:34 AM

View PostOnmyoudo, on 26 February 2015 - 03:05 AM, said:

Steam release should be great, as long as PGI completely reworks the UI, new player experience, economy, lack of tutorials, matchmaking algorithms, pilot trees and module system before it happens. Plus explanations of ECM, ghost heat, Artemis, FF/Endo and double heatsinks, of course - to be included with the tutorials.

Coming to a Steam near you in 20XX.

I could not have put it any better..

GG dude!

#42 That Dawg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 26 February 2015 - 05:02 AM, said:

It's not elitistic. It's realistic.

There are in the BT universe a few things that re not very logical, people will hop on this and say "it's stupid" or say thats a bad part of the game or broken or whatever . Because people are like this. And many of these things are just lore related.

Why a mech listed as 1.02 heat efficiency is running hot.

Many things and mostly lore related are "weird" and make no sense.

Purely from a marketing stand point, you are wrong.

I'm pretty sure no one playing world of tanks sat in a WWII tank, yet you have to grind all sorts of things to get it better. They added servers in china and are expanding with silly 8bit game modes

I'm real sure no one playing EVE has seen the curve of the earth, yet that game is beyond complicated and repetitive and frankly boring-its been around 10 years and growing

Warthunder, same thing, a really odd game mode combined with even odder grind. Very successful.

Fearing Steam is elitist, not realistic.
You can't possibly imagine everyone here knows crap about lore, battletech etc etc etc, do you??
I bet if polled its a quarter, or less!

Here, right out of Websters

adjective
(of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others or by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society:
Innersphere mechs are superior to clan mechs, because:
catering to or associated with an elitist class, its ideologies, or its institutions:
Oh, the huge manatee, steam users can has ruin game
noun
a person having, thought to have, or professing superior intellect or talent, power, wealth, or membership in the upper echelons of society:
Oh, those steam players, will rush right to the clan mechs and wont even learn about IS mechs
a person who believes in the superiority of an elitist class.
Oh steam users will use lrm boats cause they wont learn who Blake is

#43 Violent Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:39 AM

View PostReaper3015, on 26 February 2015 - 04:28 AM, said:

try teachig a brick wall to roll over. Thats what trying to teach 90% of new players is like. Eventually, these "elitists" as you call them,get tired of banging their head against a wall trying to help the un helpable, get salty, and adopt the sink or swim mentality.

Unfortunately this one is correct.. :(

#44 That Dawg

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:51 AM

View PostFragnot, on 26 February 2015 - 05:04 AM, said:

MWO is a slow paced FPS where skilling up your chassis and min/maxing loadouts makes a huge difference in performance. These are very familiar concepts for the modern online gamer, new players who get hooked on the MWO style will do fine IMO.

I'll wager that the steam release will increase the overall population, and the ratio of ubers vs knuckleheads stays roughly the same as what we got now.

DING DING.
I welcome steam, or any thing else that could double our player base.
I'd like to use the mechs I paid REAL money for in another two years vs. talking about this like I did with Wings with Wires, Battle of Britian, CLOD etc etc etc

#45 Gattsus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:54 AM

View PostViolent Nick, on 26 February 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

I could not have put it any better..

GG dude!

I would say steam release 2018-2019. In three years they might develop enough to deliver what they promised 2 years ago. Since they shelved igp, there has been massive improvements regarding most of the points that Onmyoudo mentioned.

Though we all agree that the only method of MWO to survive the test of time is Steam.

Edited by Gattsus, 26 February 2015 - 06:04 AM.

#46 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:44 AM

lol, this again.

Here, this is your average long-term MWO veteran.

Posted Image

MWO won't have a problem with steam. Steam will have a problem with MWO.

#47 Satan n stuff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:48 AM

View PostRaggedyman, on 26 February 2015 - 04:43 AM, said:

I've also heard that all Steam players have small hands (which makes it easier to steal your watch with) and that they regularly sell their children into slavery to pay for their wicked habits. They also have strange rituals when one knocks at your front door whilst the other sneaks in your window to steal your internets, and if you don't buy their lucky heather they will place a bad-ping curse on you.

Or that they are video game players, who have come across a couple hundred (thousand) other games with rules complications, abstractions from reality, and upgrade mechanics. And that MWO is essentially another tactical FPS, but with different refinements, so the average gamer is going to be able to get their head around it because the ideas of 'heat', 'loadout', and 'not a realistic representation of an utterly-unrealistic concept' isn't going to bake anyone's head.

One of the two

Although the Steamers might already be here... stealing your kills... putting marks on your house so other Steamers know to TK you... messing up your inventory when you're not looking....

I'm on Steam, and I have Gypsy ancestry, so I lol'd.

#48 NephyrisX

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:55 AM

Honestly I fear that Steam players will find LRMs daunting and instantly shy away from MWO as well as giving it a terrible review just because.

#49 Satan n stuff

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,508 posts
  • LocationLooking right at you, lining up my shot.

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:57 AM

View PostNephyrisX, on 26 February 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

Honestly I fear that Steam players will find LRMs daunting and instantly shy away from MWO as well as giving it a terrible review just because.

That's nothing out of the ordinary for steam users who actually bother to write reviews, so MWO will fit right in.

#50 Butane9000

• Elite Founder
  • 2,788 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 26 February 2015 - 06:59 AM

Steam will be good for MWO. Influx of new players and ideally a big influx of revenue. What they need to do though is either get with the community or do it themselves to make helpful guides new players can access right away due to the current system being lacking.

They will also need to properly describe the differences between the Clans & IS due to the tech disparities. Most people who do not know BT will think it odd Clans have more weapon choices then IS.

#51 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostNephyrisX, on 26 February 2015 - 06:55 AM, said:

Maybe PGI should have redesigned the super annoying, binary lurms years ago, then?

#52 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:09 AM

The large problem really comes down to is there is no official quick start guide/manual.

#53 Michal R

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 428 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:17 AM

New players will not stay in MWO.
Why?
Game crash after each game.
Game have problem with hit detection.
Elo problem - matchmaking.
Problem with sound, when weapons modules arrive.
And more problems with textures, FPS etc.
CW still at beta ;) Like whole MWO ;)

Don't be afraid, every game has new players, some stay some go. Don't worry.
I like MWO and these problems do not bother me too much, but are annoyed :/

#54 Iskareot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 433 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNW,IN

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

View PostBrother MEX, on 26 February 2015 - 12:05 AM, said:

Thats just a problem of the MATCHMAKER, which is the worst piece of **** in MW0 !

Even feed with more players, the matchmaker wont get better or give you lower waiting times, unless they use a different way to find random players for match :(

Which will now be a carry fest... THEY need to set up tiers of the MM with a influx of players. It's bullshit to have to carry 3 day old pilots onto any battleground if you have played over 2 years. AT LEAST change something to reflect that.

#55 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:43 AM

This game lacks a large amount of things that many popular Steam multiplayer games have. The biggest one? User-run dedicated servers with selectable game modes. The second? Workshop! The ability to create content like maps, skins, etc.

#56 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:46 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 26 February 2015 - 07:43 AM, said:

This game lacks a large amount of things that many popular Steam multiplayer games have. The biggest one? User-run dedicated servers with selectable game modes. The second? Workshop! The ability to create content like maps, skins, etc.

But the trading cards, man. The emotes. Backgrounds! Steam grab deals!

#57 Lily from animove

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:48 AM

View PostThat Dawg, on 26 February 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

Purely from a marketing stand point, you are wrong.

I'm pretty sure no one playing world of tanks sat in a WWII tank, yet you have to grind all sorts of things to get it better. They added servers in china and are expanding with silly 8bit game modes

I'm real sure no one playing EVE has seen the curve of the earth, yet that game is beyond complicated and repetitive and frankly boring-its been around 10 years and growing

Warthunder, same thing, a really odd game mode combined with even odder grind. Very successful.

Fearing Steam is elitist, not realistic.
You can't possibly imagine everyone here knows crap about lore, battletech etc etc etc, do you??
I bet if polled its a quarter, or less!

Here, right out of Websters

adjective
(of a person or class of persons) considered superior by others or by themselves, as in intellect, talent, power, wealth, or position in society:
Innersphere mechs are superior to clan mechs, because:
catering to or associated with an elitist class, its ideologies, or its institutions:
Oh, the huge manatee, steam users can has ruin game
noun
a person having, thought to have, or professing superior intellect or talent, power, wealth, or membership in the upper echelons of society:
Oh, those steam players, will rush right to the clan mechs and wont even learn about IS mechs
a person who believes in the superiority of an elitist class.
Oh steam users will use lrm boats cause they wont learn who Blake is

you have not undertsand anything.

let someone for the first time who never played a inertial control space game play it and you will have a load of players complain about how ****** it is.

Same will happen with MW; when people do not know why strange things are as they are. EVE is not complicated because there is no real lore specific stuff that differs eve from other space game sims.

you can not even compare WoT with MWO, does WOT even have a lore making special, unlogical mechanics that are based of the lore and truly differ from the standard tank game? WoT is rather easily concepted, and success dpends on how easily people cna get into the game. Guess why WoW is such a sucesful product? because they casualised anything. MWO is not casualised.

So when a newbie comes to MWO and is playing the game, where he makes maybe 20 or 40k c-bills per match, suddenly upgrading his standard structure to ES on a mech like the atlas. Then he may have wasted a load of moeny already for somethign he may igure out he didn't even wanted. And mostly because he does not even know that this so called "upgrade" is not a upgrade its actually a change and does alter things. Things written in the lore, construction rules that we do not have explained ingame. Many things in MWO are quite expensive, many things and a lot grind for new players, and simple things like these do actually piss off palyers (thats reality).
So ammo explosion death beause of gauss? you will probably see him post a review in Steam for a bugged game where his non explodable gauss ammo in the arm exploded. Again because nowher is described that gauss can explode that he may had in the torso with an XL. Unless he would have read this in a laoding screen message which is chosen totally random.

People that test games often test them like one or two days. and then they judge a game. Many mechanics in MWO are lore based and they are key knowledge about gettign things done right or end up in a lot frustration.

and elitist is still wrong and you knwo why? beacsue the issue for this difference is simply knowledge.

noun
the power or faculty of the mind by which one knows or understands, as distinguished from that by which one feels and that by which one wills; the understanding; the faculty of thinking and acquiring knowledge.
capacity for thinking and acquiring knowledge, especially of a high or complex order; mental capacity.
a particular mind or intelligence, especially of a high order.
a person possessing a great capacity for thought and knowledge.
minds collectively, as of a number of persons or the persons themselves.

intellect is not knowledge and only interacts with the ability to aquire knowledge.

The One within the lore has the knowledge. Other lerned it by the Forum, which then means they got into the lore. becaue weapon and mechloadout mechanics are part of the lore. Lore is not just the cool stories.

And no steam players are testing the game, they will not rush to the clanmechs, they gonna finish their 25 cadet boni, buy a mech, will suck in it very likely (not everyone but most) simply because cadet boni does not buy a proper mech at all. And then probably most of them leave the game. because grinding another 10 million c-bill with no cadet bomus for a newbie with a superlow income is such an amazing pleasure. But this is how gamers work, I tired this in various games with many of my friends. Either they instantly get into the game and have somewhat decent success or they most of the time just leave and go back to the games they already know. And on top of this comes group dynamic, when 3 out of 5 buddies leave the 2 others who like it will mostlikely still follow.

its realistc, because this is how it happens daily and when you try this with many of your friends at random chosen games you will see this as well.

I screwed my first account totally buy having bought a YLW, being trapped in a bad mech because there was those hidden superexpensive XL engine required to make it a proper working mech. And the lack of lore knowlede was a giant bummer becaue former MW tiles worked different. The solution was grinding another 7 million as an absolutely new, or making a new account. But many gamers do not do this, espeically not when their steam account will probably be linked to the MWO account.

And then comes actually a tiny tiny thing why I did stayed in MWO, simply because the name allowed blanks in names and long names and it made it possible to use the name this account has. Otherwise I would not have went through the entire poop the other account with the only second name I would like to have to make this account a valid "second try". and for this accoutn here I went through the wiki and all the base knowledgeto not make any of this mistakes again. because I would definately not start a thrid account for said above reason.

I am a load more patient gamer than many other that give up way earlier.
And it is a fact that many gamers do not use the wikis and forums at all. Only a small part does. And the things to know in MWO inherieted by the lore are quite complex.
And by simply this many people who do not find any proper inagme description of those lore based mechanics WILL screw their fist attemp up. And by the nature of how many gamers are many will blame the game, for being buggy, broken, stupid or whatever. You still see these excuses daily in here even by core gamers. And those newbies will not give the game a second try. because only a small amount of gamers will actually admit that they were the issue. And from those who do not even everyone is willing to redo all of this to correct this issue. Because at this point they have not put enough effort into MWO and achieved something they value. They probably only achieved to waste their cadet boni for something they consider pure scrap.

and this is not like a space sim where you just have different controls for your ships but the core emchanics are the same. And just WASD + LMB is not going make these people succesfull, or having fun, because those people are those who end up with like 52dmg or less because they actually have knowledge about FPS's but no idea about the MWO mechanics.

The lerning curve in mwo is steep but its unlike in many shooters not a simple try and try and try over again to get better thing, because a borked mech is a borked mech and will mostlikely never help you to get better. And so, one does need the proper mech building rules to even be able to estimate if a mech may be a working concept he has to train or of it is completely pointless form the entire beginning. And then this thing is called "mechLAB" btut here is nto even much scientific stuff ingame. there is an acceleration curve of a mech, very scientific looking, yet ingame this is nothing really relevant. The heta management and firepower are so abstracted and pointless they tell nothing. I mean what does heat management of 1:02 means with 54 firepower? These are entirely 0 information value. I have Excel tables here that do the the real "science". and yes we have soem online tools. But the standard gamer TESTING a game won't bother with such details in the testing period.

You need to analyse player behavior to understand when an argument is realistic and when its elitistic. Two completely different things.

Lern 2 play in MWO means a lot. it means learning how to equip a mech properly with all the hidden knowledge of the mechanic that reults form the lore.
Then comes quite a long path of training to play with this mech.

People knowing the lore get pats the first step quite easily. People not familiar with this will have a lot trouble and have to put a lot "off time" into the game to fiure this out, because there is the game outside the game, in the theory of mechbuilding. But many people don't want such stuff. Thats why it would be important to integrate all this stuff into MWO. So that people play the game within the game.

A good game has a proper tutorial explaining everything, because the test gamer will initially not read a guide, a wiki or a forum. he tests, sees if he has fun and decides. And when he get shredded to detah by "OP" lrms, he does not know why, he just will think this is unbalanced and decide to go.

I probably repeated myself now a few times, but this is really how players work who test a game without any relation. Unlike the Mechwarrior fan who coems here to play mechwarrior and will probably by being a fan go through this kind of "pain".

#58 Vassago Rain

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:49 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 26 February 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

EVE is not complicated because there is no real lore specific stuff that differs eve from other space game sims.

I don't even play EVE, but I know enough about it to tell you you're wrong. EVE isn't even a sim, for starters, and has never been billed as such.

Edited by Vassago Rain, 26 February 2015 - 07:49 AM.

#59 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:50 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 26 February 2015 - 07:46 AM, said:

But the trading cards, man. The emotes. Backgrounds! Steam grab deals!

lol

Trading cards.

:lol:

:) I never have quite gotten what people have for those.

#60 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:51 AM

There's something to this concern.

This game was marketed as minimum viable product to a consumer willing to buy something sub-par for love of the brand. Truly this worked; I love battletech and I play this game.

But the average yokel on the internet won't be so tolerant of it's endearing imperfections.

For starters, an extensive new player start up guide, linked to on the steam page, would be massively helpful.

It would also be massively helpful if the game were balanced. People with no emotional attachment to clan mechs probably won't fall in love with their arbitrary superiority.

Edit: I take that back. People without emotional attachment to this brand probably will fall in love with the most powerful faction, which would be the clans.

Edited by Water Bear, 26 February 2015 - 08:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users