Kill Credit - Suicides (Overheating Or Ob)

15 replies to this topic

#1 Havyek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,349 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:02 PM

If this latest challenge has proven anything, it's that people on the internet are DBags. :P

I've seen many many times over this weekend, where a person in an unwinnable situation (1v8+, finding yourself in the middle of the enemy team etc) will override and hold down the alpha button until they die.

I don't really have a problem with this, I agree in doing as much damage as you can before you die, however I constantly see "HAHA!! No points from me!!" etc.

I'd suggest that in the event of a suicide (or even a Team Kill) that kill credit goes to the enemy that did the most damage to the dead 'Mech.

Now in the event that no enemy has damage the 'Mech (spawn TK or someone running OB before being hit) well then that just gets recorded like it does currently.

#2 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts
  • LocationCatapult Cockpit

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:24 PM

I was just about to post this. Overheat deaths should go to either Last to Damage the mech, or most damage. Out of Bounds suicide should go to the same. Team Kills as wells. there is no reason besides %#&* you to kill yourself like that, overheats are understandable but people going Out of Bounds on purpose is basically a giant middle finger to the enemy team.

#3 destroika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 05:19 PM

I agree that this event showed some poor foresight on the part of the events team. Here are more people who agree with you:

http://mwomercs.com/...s-requirements/

http://mwomercs.com/...s-requirements/

#4 Joshua Rael

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:05 PM

I completely disagree. If you can't kill them before they suicide, you shouldn't get credit. It is no different than a warrior of old falling on his sword or spear, or a soldier of more recent times eating a bullet as a last act of defiance. They have chosen a death on their terms and a way of not helping you.
If all of their teammates played stupidly and they choose to avoid benefiting someone else where is the problem? I don't agree with them taunting you about it, or doing it to be a d***, but that is the price you pay for enabling global chat.

#5 destroika

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 08:18 PM

View PostJoshua Rael, on 01 March 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

I completely disagree. If you can't kill them before they suicide, you shouldn't get credit. It is no different than a warrior of old falling on his sword or spear, or a soldier of more recent times eating a bullet as a last act of defiance. They have chosen a death on their terms and a way of not helping you.
If all of their teammates played stupidly and they choose to avoid benefiting someone else where is the problem? I don't agree with them taunting you about it, or doing it to be a d***, but that is the price you pay for enabling global chat.

You're right about global chat, it serves no useful purpose. You're also right about choosing to suicide, it happens all the time since long before the event simply because there was no chance of victory and it was a waste of time to try. But the point of the post is how the event parameters deter team work rather than promotes it. The aim of the suicide is different, but it doesn't change the fact that it has always happened on purpose. It's just a flawed event requirement.

Edited by destroika, 01 March 2015 - 08:19 PM.

#6 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:52 PM

View PostJoshua Rael, on 01 March 2015 - 08:05 PM, said:

You do realize that this is a game, right? there is no "honor" in not being killed by the enemy. in many societies death in battle was far more honorable than suicide anyways, so your point is cherry picking to make yourself feel better. the only thing you are doing is giving the enemy team a big middle finger by denying them C-Bills and XP while patting yourself on the back for doing it. in many games that would be unsportsmanlike-like conduct and grounds for a penalty, such as a longer respawn timer or a penalty to your earnings that match. as it currently stands, it doesn't even save your KDR, so you're definitely just being a jerk for the sake of being one.

as for making the match end faster, why not just run into them guns blazing? isnt that far better an end for a supposed warrior than jumping on his own sword? i've had plenty of times ive taken someone down with me as the rest of their team dog-piles me, its quick, everyone's happy.

Many times when people overheat suicide it's in the middle of a bunch of mechs about to kill them anyways, so why not give someone some credit? it hardly hurts the person that overheats to death. i'd rather see a suicide penalty but im sure that would be called too harsh, now wouldn't it. and people like you would still suicide and laugh at the enemy.

#7 nrg9x

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 12:07 AM

it was probably me ? , i get caught in situations alot when the "Team" is moving in one direction and the person at the back always cops it in the back. I aint scurd , ill go in and die like a man. Its a video game , why the hell not ? ( i dont taunt after such behavior because im off on another mech practicing this behavior )

Theres no way in hell im gonna earn a Raven mech with the amount of time available for me to play , sif ima make it a breeze for u .

signed : Interweb Dbag #1

#8 Joshua Rael

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 08:08 PM

@
FerrolupisXIII

1: Yes it is a game. So why are you so bitter that someone denied you a kill? Ever since the beginning of PVP over internet players have suicided to avoid letting the enemy kill them. The ubiquitous grenade at the feet. Some of the older Mechwarrior games had a self destruct so players could *gasp* suicide.
2: Honor? I never said anything about honor. I'm not sure where you got that from. There is rarely honor in suicide.
3: To make myself feel better? I used the pronoun I exactly twice followed by something I DISAGREED with. I never used me, but I did use they and them.
4: Yes they are giving you the middle finger. I used the phrase "last act of defiance". It is something you do when you have no other promising options.
5: I have seen people overheat, jump jet straight up until they shatter their legs(this one is quite comical to witness), go out of bounds, and try running off of high terrain when all else fails. As you pointed out none of these protects one's KDR. Are you implying that these kill denying actions are somehow worse then running away from the enemy and powering down to hide? An kill denying attempted action that is deliberately intended to save one's KDR?
I(now I will be talking about myself) welcome the challenge of killing the enemy before THEY(talking about the suicider) can overheat. If I fail, I tell myself to shoot better next time, revisit my loadout and see if I can get it to do more damage faster, or chalk it up to arriving too late. Furthermore if they run away and hide *initiates predatory gaze* "Let the hunt begin".

Edited by Joshua Rael, 02 March 2015 - 08:10 PM.

#9 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts

Posted 02 March 2015 - 09:59 PM

the honor point is implied by talking about "falling on your sword" etc. sorry if thats not what you ment but otherwise there is little reason to even bring it up. infact most of the time the reason for killing oneself in war is to avoid capture, and presumably poor treatment (whether true or not, much of that is propaganda) by the enemy. neither of those are factors in a game where you just shrug and move to the next match.

so, if i am bitter about it, why does that make it okay for them to do it? must they act so bitter and petulant about being on the losing side that they feel the need to deny other players in their community progress? they may well be on your team next match. just fight till they get you. why do you feel the need to flip off the winning team? its totally uncalled for whether your team sucked or not.

i prefer giving some guy the finger by killing him before his teammates take me down, i find it to be far more satisfying, and it earns me more money, and helps my teammates by giving them assists, instead of taking my toys and leaving like a child.

in many cases, mechs achieve overheat and death via internal structure destruction long before any mech can destroy them unless very very lucky. skill has little to do with it. i have other thoughts on people that run away just to drag out fights, but that is for a different thread.

To me, it boils down to the basic point of why do people feel the need to play like jerks? im well aware this is the internet and all, but it seems like you're arguing its totally fine to be a jerk just because you can and there are no consequences, which is frankly deplorable. we arent even saying punish the people that do it, we're saying give people credit for work done.

#10 Dirk Le Daring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 March 2015 - 10:23 PM

View PostHavyek, on 01 March 2015 - 01:02 PM, said:

I'd suggest that in the event of a suicide (or even a Team Kill) that kill credit goes to the enemy that did the most damage to the dead 'Mech.

You did suggest it, and I will agree. I like this idea. Should have been implemented a long time ago.

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 02 March 2015 - 10:24 PM.

#11 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 02 March 2015 - 11:26 PM

You shouldn't get a Kill reward at all. No matter if the other guy use "overdrive" or not - when you are a bunch of bullys all shooting at a single mech - its luck or ping who get the kill - thats extremly stupid.
The "killing" blow is the most stupid reward in this whole game. (ok maybe not the most)

I have made my own kill record - since the reward change - i made 3 KILLS - the rest were assists.

Only 3 KILLS HAHA Noob.

Wrong pal - 3 Solo Kills - everything else is for kindergarden (stick with a team and you don't get "real kills" - only assist marks.

#12 FerrolupisXIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 502 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:56 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 02 March 2015 - 11:26 PM, said:

You shouldn't get a Kill reward at all. No matter if the other guy use "overdrive" or not - when you are a bunch of bullys all shooting at a single mech - its luck or ping who get the kill - thats extremly stupid.
The "killing" blow is the most stupid reward in this whole game. (ok maybe not the most)

I have made my own kill record - since the reward change - i made 3 KILLS - the rest were assists.

Only 3 KILLS HAHA Noob.

Wrong pal - 3 Solo Kills - everything else is for kindergarden (stick with a team and you don't get "real kills" - only assist marks.

Sounds like you'd prefer clans, not Kurita. this isnt a 1v1 game, its a team game. its somewhat mind boggling that you even bother writing all that down just so you can feel like you're awesome and only solo kills count.

It's hardly even about who gets the kill, its that people are running out of bounds/firing weapons into the ground/etc with only the intention of SCREW YOU GUYS. it doesn't save them anything, its childish spiteful behavior that shouldn't be tolerated. i think we would see much less of it if they implemented a credit for most damage done or last to deal damage to the mech, instead of all the work done to it just disappearing under a large middle finger shaped cloud.

#13 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 03 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

Well i don't get the part with counting everything but the Solo kill is bad for the team?
A kill as it currently is for the most part is nothing else but an assist.
So
So if you want to track this stuff (and imho the more important part is wining and reduce the teams casulties.) you should track them different from now.
Or with minor changes remove stupid challenges with stupid conditions.

Last not least - don't judge me for that pitty snake davie -

Edited by Karl Streiger, 03 March 2015 - 08:31 AM.

#14 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 09:29 AM

Got to disagree with giving the kill to the last or most damage done player. I have had some excellent one to one fights where we have duked it out trying every trick and had a great time - I have both killed and been killed in this situation only to have either myself or my valiant foe explode moments later due to overheating (also quite often the O-veride function doesn't cancel after hitting O and I die because "Incoming Missile" or a blank message ribbon obscures where the Overide Warning should be) In this case, the loser of the duel would actually get the kill which dumbs down the reward from a good fight.

I have played in matches where losses have stacked up due to dire hit reg, lag & questionable targeting at extreme range where Mechs fall to one person faster than you would believe possible and probably being hit in odd places through "solid" cover. In this situation, why blame the person for not giving a kill when the game is playing against them.

Suicide through overheat or running out of bounds is an option people can take, why blame them if this is what they want to do? It's a little like the LRM debate - yes it's in game, but in the end, up to the player how they (ab)use them.

#15 dukeofrugby

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 14 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:56 AM

How about this

If they are locked on to a target and overheat the kill goes to the person they are locked too. With the thought that they killed themselves inadvertently in battle.

If they aren't locked to a target then it goes to the most damage only if they are cored somewhere showing they were in a battle with them. Perhaps even further to the last person to destroy a heat sink leading to reduced heat management therefore causing the critical event leading to the death.

Lastly if they just commit suicide count it as a tk as a blue killed blue.

thoughts?

#16 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:50 PM

@OP: Good idea overall. There have been a couple of times where I forced a pilot to go out of bounds or overheat and die, and was robbed of the kill point. I would really like to see some kind of credit for outsmarting said pilot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users