• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

How to win*
Stupidly simple solutions to stupidly over complicated problems

It's a sunny, cold day on the peaks. You patrol around the mountains, and you note the enemy is in H9 again. Yep, they took up position in the usual spot. Slowly, agonizingly, you make your way through vollies of LRMs and storms of sniper fire. You're taking heavy losses, but so is the enemy. Finally, it's 2v1, and you have 1 legged Dire Wolf left. He tries to get into a range to bring his LB20-X ACs to bear. And then he dies. You lose Alpine Peaks again, taking home a measly 100 damage and 70k C-Bills. You wonder if this will ever end.

You post an angry thread about how the map encourages sniper fire and LRMs and is horrible for brawling. You rant and start a debate that has occurred too many times to count. YOU petition to have it removed from the game. "Make the map good for brawlers too!" you cry.

A week later your thread has sunk to the bottom of General Discussion. You start a match, and your drop image displays the pure white peaks that plague your dreams.

A stupid problem

Anyone who has played Alpine Peaks knows the map is huge. Anyone who has played it also knows that H9 is the usual position attacked/defended. Almost everyone knows the horrors of trying to hike the mountain to reach the top under the withering barrages of Gauss, ERPPC, Lasers and LRMs. You don't always lose, but it is certainly hard to win this way. The solution isn't to hope you you spawn on the right side of the map. It also isn't to hope the enemies don't utilize their advantage. So what is the solution?

A stupidly obvious solution

Don't attack H9. Make the enemy forsake the advantage of high ground and assume a position that benefits you. There are areas to brawl in the same way there are areas to snipe in. The map is huge, as we mentioned, but people fall for the bait every time and only ever use one area of it.

There are many problems that MechWarriors over complicate. To list a few of them:
  • Getting steamrolled
  • Trying to take positions that are well fortified
  • Trying to hold futile positions
  • Getting flanked
So how do you counter these things? The same timeless tips that make or break matches.

Pay attention to the minimap.
If the fight is three sectors over from you, go there. I recently played a match where I got punked by 6+ people while my team attacked a single Mech two or three sectors away from the main company. We may not have lost, but it was frustrating that they were focusing so much man power where it wasn't needed.

Talk to your team.
You don't have to use VoIP. Call out targets. Tell people you're a boat. Inform your team of approximate locations of enemies. Tell them if you see a UAV or ECM. Communication is a key component to coordination.

Don't attack an enemy's advantageous position.
If the enemy is holding ground that gives them the advantage, make them forsake it for ground that benefits you. It's a simple, clean, unorthodox tactic that is sure to produce results if you execute it. The worst that could happen is you lose, but then, that could happen anyways.

Don't hold a prone position.
"Prone" in this case refers to a position where the enemy can surge like a wave and envelope you. This is also called 'getting steamrolled/bulldozed.' Don't do it. Recognizing a prone position isn't hard, and if you recognize that you could get steamrolled, just leave. You have no obligation to defend a bad place.

Don't hold a vulnerable position.
"Vulnerable" in this case refers to positions that put you in bad places otherwise, such as being vulnerable to snipers, LRMs, brawlers, etc. If a position is causing you to be at a disadvantage, just go away, because you're giving the enemy team an advantage.

Prioritize targets.
Some targets are more valuable than others. Do you need to boat but can't cause of ECM? Kill their ECM. Are they boating the crap out of you, or is a boat/sniper making a position hard to take? Kill the boat/sniper. Is a Dire Wolf triple Gauss-ing your team to death? Storm the Dire Wolf with everything you have.

Dead v/s Disabled.
Sometimes you don't need to kill a Mech, just get it out of the fight. Side torsos have less armor than the front center torso. Take the AS7-S for example. Blow off it's SRMs and it is drastically less powerful.

Don't chase the squirrel.
See a lone Light/Medium? There's nothing wrong with chasing it, just be aware of your surroundings. Otherwise you'll end up surrounded by heavies on all sides and getting blown to pieces.

Don't expend manpower on useless targets.
This shouldn't have to be said, but sadly it must. If eight of your team members are killing a Blackjack while the other four are being beaten twice to death by Dire Wolfs, you're not doing it right.

*Results not guaranteed, it is up to you to make them work for you

Edited by DavidHurricane, 03 March 2015 - 10:53 AM.

#2 Jemima

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 25 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:28 AM

Thanks for your thoughts, David. Everything you said could be repeated for every single map. Of course I prefer LRM in Alpine, but in the end, nobody of us can choose a map - so no need to whine. Brawlers can actually do pretty fine in it, too. So much about maps.
I think the most important thing you were talking about is communication, it is even more important in PUG-groups to make things work. But you need people who listen to you.
One example: I bring out my narcing Raven and notice several LRM-boats in my team. Of course, I communicate my plans over chat and then narc one mech after the other - and they all shoot the one that isn't narced and make beautiful holes in the ground, while I feel pretty useless.

What I want to say: There will be always people, who just won't listen or at least respond in Chat or VOIP. But when they do, it makes my day ;)

Col. Jemima

#3 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

Don't chase the squirrel.
See a lone Light/Medium? There's nothing wrong with chasing it, just be aware of your surroundings. Otherwise you'll end up surrounded by heavies on all sides and getting blown to pieces.

Also remember to check to see whether anybody else is going for that lone light mech. In too many games I've seen an entire assault lance chasing after a single flanking light mech, ignoring the main enemy push, in the hope of getting a cheap kill. Usually what then happens is the light gets away and our team gets rolled.

#4 Ichen

• Pip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 16 posts
  • LocationEarth, US MidWest

Posted 03 March 2015 - 01:08 PM

Coming from a military background. The most important part of organizing a good defense or offense has been and always will be communication. Every Military doctrine has at its heart Communication, if you want to succeed COMMUNICATE.

#5 Sonny Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 445 posts
  • LocationThe Motion Lounge

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:20 PM

View PostIchen, on 03 March 2015 - 01:08 PM, said:

Coming from a military background. The most important part of organizing a good defense or offense has been and always will be communication. Every Military doctrine has at its heart Communication, if you want to succeed COMMUNICATE.

Bears Repeating!! Also if I may...Speak Clearly.

#6 White Bear 84

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 07:36 PM

View PostKahadras, on 03 March 2015 - 12:04 PM, said:

Also remember to check to see whether anybody else is going for that lone light mech. In too many games I've seen an entire assault lance chasing after a single flanking light mech, ignoring the main enemy push, in the hope of getting a cheap kill. Usually what then happens is the light gets away and our team gets rolled.

I deskface everytime I see this happen. No matter how much you tell people not to, they are still worried enough about their e-peens or KDR that they actually do more damage than good.

Idk is there an assumption going for each player that they are the only one that can save the day from the crazy tough light? No, people are just hunting for an easy kill to pad their stats most the time.

Just need 1 or 2 mechs fellas, not the whole team.. ..go figure.

#7 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:13 PM

Do not get caught in open ground, use the smaller hills for cover. If you do need to cross open ground, look for the shortest path.

If you can, consider drawing the enemy into a position that is beyond fire from the mountain. Consider the hills near the smaller base in J5, and draw the enemy to you. Do not chase lights, but if you can leg one, then great, finish him and they will have to move. And remember, when they do come, engage them in open ground, they will have to come to you at some point. I have seen this work quite well, and a lot better when targets are called for everyone to welcome at the same time.

There is a lot to Alpine, it is, in my opinion, the best in the game.

Edited by Dirk Le Daring, 05 March 2015 - 08:46 PM.

#8 Shattered Sun

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

I will speak of several tips in a general sense, as these tips are applicable in all maps.

Don't be afraid to take the lead, and issue orders.
Being nice is important, but sometimes someone just needs to step up and take charge. I've lost count of the number of times a company gets messed up and directionless, and then just stalls and falls apart.Granted, some people won't follow them, and others would call valid tactics 'Cowardiance', preferring the blind banzai charge but at the end of the day, most people would band together and put up a solid defense, while those that run off and do their own thing act as a distraction/buy us enough time to get a solid defense or offense in place.

It is also important to use the game mode to your advantage.
In a Capture Base map? Camp. The extra defense lasers and the time it takes for the enemy to breach your defenses is INVALUABLE. Any advantage should be sought after, not wastefully squandered. Capture map? Lights form a mobile capture squad, and hit the easy to capture nodes. The more units that capture a node, the faster it gets captured, reducing the time it takes for your team to move on to the next node. If resistance is too heavy, pass on that node, and move on, 3 nodes vs 2 = win. Just keep an eye out for the team, sometimes you need to fall back to support the main group.

Know your roles.
Lights scout, and fall back when contact is sighted, let the Mediums and Heavies do their thing. When combat is joined, search for gaps in the enemy's defense, and exploit them. Call in undefended areas for teammates to flank, or infiltrate and act as a spotter. Mediums are to act as the rapid reaction force for the heavies, and push or pull back as the situation demands. Heavies punch through, provide support and form the mobile core of offense. You Must have a clear direction as the whole team follows you. If the heavies and meds stick together, and lights utilize hit and run tactics, theres nothing you cannot overcome by sheer application of overwhelming force - don't underestimate the psychological shock value of 4 Assault Mechs coming at you in formation.

Use terrain!
Get the high ground and hold it! If you shoot from above, you hit the heads and torsos of the enemy. if you fire from below, all you may hit is just a leg before the enemy retreats back into cover. Your LRM's fired from a high position wont get blocked by the mountains, and can circumvent obstacles such as outcroppings to ensure you deal as much DPS as possible. Expose as little as possible as you can, dont stand on top of a rock and expect to survive a map; the ground you choose should have multiple places that you can hide/fallback on.

Be a team player.
Call out incursions (incs). When you spot a flanking force or an infiltrator, call out its position. doing so will alert your teammates and give them the time to turn and present their armoured side to the enemy. I've lost count of the times that i've been spotted, only to have the enemy ignore me, thus allowing me to flank from behind and become a spotter/sneak attacker.

General Tips
  • Lights should never ever run in front of an ongoing firefight - you're as likely to get friendly fired as you are gonna get killed by the enemy. Run behind your allies, using them as mobile cover, and sneak shots if you cannot find a way to flank the enemy. Just make sure NOT to stand directly behind an ally, you'll just prevent him from moving backwards to seek cover.
  • Try and co-ordinate your LRM shots. A single salvo would end up getting wasted by the enemy's AMS, but a directed stream by several allies will overwhelm their defense system and get your hits in.
  • Heavies should try as much as possible to be the company leader. You're firepower is the gamechanger, and you're the slowest, so get the lights and meds to support you properly.
  • Aim for the legs of Light Mech's, once they lose their speed, their dead.
  • Aim your shots! I see alot of people just blindly firing away, and hoping their shots hit. If you are using lasers, dont forget that you're giving away your position. If you're using Ammo, their you're just wasting it. If foilage is too thick, like in Bog, use thermals.
  • Relocate after you take a shot of you are a Sniper. Being too eager is a surefire way to get knocked out by missiles or getting flanked.
This is just some of the things that i can think of at the spur of the moment based on my experience in the game so far. I hope this helps all you aspiring Mech Warriors out there!

#9 Kahadras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 127 posts

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:51 PM

Aim your shots!

This.

I don't spot it much during games but watching players after I die makes it really noticable how much some people miss. I'm no where near perfect myself ( missed 3 AC20 shots in a row last night) but I try to be as accurate as possible. I was watching a player last night trying to take down a Firestarter that was almost legged had an open CT. One solid hit from any of my teammates weapons would have either legged him or cored him.

Instead of taking his time to aim the guy just started wildly blasting. I sat there thinking there was no way that a laser-vomit Stormcrow should be having this much trouble with a virtualy dead IS light. Kudos to the Firestarter pilot though as he kept moving throughout the whole fight and most of his shots hit what he aimed at.

#10 Proteaus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 07:30 AM

Could not count the number of times I have seen people peek a boo themselves to death .

#11 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:08 PM

Press 'Q' to see who is more hurt than you are, and offer to step up and take some hits for them in the next exchanges of fire.

Your teammates will be grateful and they'll live longer to help add their firepower into the fight. Which means you're more likely to win. Which means you're more likely to score kills and survive the match.

Yes, offering to take some hits for teammates actually increases your overall odds of survival and success.

Being a coward will lead to your teammates dying sooner, which leads to you being outnumbered and likely overwhelmed.

Doesn't mean you have to be stupid and follow a moron who derps his way into the open in front of the entire enemy team. But if you see teammates who are fighting hard and fighting smart, step up to relieve them if you're healthier than they are.

#12 Cab

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 11:47 PM

DON'T USE LURMS! Number one priority.

#13 Flu-Epidemic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:34 AM

View PostCab, on 08 March 2015 - 11:47 PM, said:

GASP!!!! Tell that to those that field LURMalicious Mechs during freebie challenge weekend!!! (Me included)

#14 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:35 AM

View PostCab, on 08 March 2015 - 11:47 PM, said:

Incorrect. I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

#15 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 10 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

Remember the example I gave using Alpine? Results (I won't tell you how we did it, I'll leave you to guess):
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users