Newbie Clan For Cw -- Idea

2 replies to this topic

#1 nehebkau

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:04 PM

Several FRR loyalists, myself included, were speaking in a drop. This drop, in particular, had us feeling a little bit bad – we were quickly up 24 to 0 and could tell that many of the other players were using trial mechs and weren’t that experienced. The discussion we were having was concerning us charging out to them and just taking them at their spawn or waiting for them to spawn and let them try to push to us instead. There were several good arguments either way but we finally decided to just try and end the match quickly and let their drop ship provide them with some fire-support.

We didn’t feel good about it but thought it was the lesser of two evils, and some of the other players were quite upset about us camping the drop. I can understand their frustration – having been on both ends of it. It was while this was going on that we came up with an idea: A Clan for people new to CW.

The way we thought this might work is that a player is automatically placed in this default clan/faction. New people to CW would receive bonus’ to experience and cbills during the first 25 matches as part of this clan when they play on these two worlds(just like regular play)inside CW. The newbie clan would have two worlds, for attacking and defending with the stipulation that drop-decks could only contain trial mechs or perhaps only 1 or 2 non-trial mechs. We also thought that experienced mechwarriors should be able to volunteer to be ‘Mentors’ and be allowed to drop on those planets as well (again with the same drop-deck rules), sporting some marker that the person is a mentor. We thought that there may or may not be a limit to being able to drop as solo only or only in small groups.

Basically, this would create an environment where the community could train new people to CW in a non-hostile environment and allow people who may not be fully involved in CW to play the CW game-mode without all the associated ‘stuff’.

We engaged in something similar when we were attacking the lone-wolves defending Tukayyid where we battled newbies by taking trial mechs or non-meta mechs. We made sure that the new players we were fighting against had a good experience with lots of brawling and time to learn what is going on in CW.

Really, it doesn't do the game any good to ROTFLOL STOMP new players dropping into a regular CW match -- does it?

Thoughts?

#2 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:20 AM

My thoughts speaking as a single player that rarely walks into CW, thats been playing it since closed beta, is that new starts to MWO, should have CW closed off for a set amount of games.

Very few have the ability to pick up a game and be good at it from the off and arena fighting is hard enough for a new person to be good by the end of the cadet games.

Now there could possibly be people once they see this post rattle off, just hang on a god damn moment, but its about protecting the new start and allowing them to develope the skill and not be frustrated and quit.

Star trek on line had a requirement to level a federation character to a set level before they could unlock the Klingons which were a more PvP orientated race.

SWTOR you had to level up some way before the game unlocked PvP

Now these are PvE games with a PvP arena in them, and it gave you a chance to develope some confidence in the game before you went into PvP, in MWO you don't get an easy PvE mode and being able to go do CW from the first day in trial mechs, just seems to me suicidal from a business point of view, and in the new starts case, enjoyment, because they play maybe a week or so say hell to this i'm going to play WoT CaC Gw or whatever they go to.

I do think that locking a new start out will benefit them in the short term and the game in the long term. I quit for a few months just disgusted with trying to get a handle on the game and coming up against 8 man groups, the highlander hero dragged me back into MWO hell and been here ever since.

Edited by Cathy, 24 March 2015 - 08:21 AM.

#3 Arc Viper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 24 March 2015 - 08:38 AM

Maybe instead they should have a CW tutorial? I don't think having a bunch of noobs fighting each other will prepare them for the "real world" fighting.

Basically, in order to do well in CW you have to join a clan that knows what they are doing. My clan for instance has people that are still really new, but they constantly give them advice in battle and they end up performing decently, even in trial mechs. If there was a tutorial of basic strategies for CW it might make them perform a little bit better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users