#41 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:26 AM

View PostMcgral18, on 08 March 2015 - 07:43 PM, said:

I was playing with 20 people yesterday; none on right now.

There isn't always a population, hence why this is nice:
http://stats.spikx.net/mwll.html

Was the legging forbidden? LOL

#42 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:36 AM

As far as i know, MW:LL never had a relevant playerbase to begin with. When i logged on years ago (like one year after its release, can't remember exactly) they had like 2 populated servers at max. I tried to play it for 2 weeks, but never could find more than 20-30 players online at any given time. And 30 players online worldwide is pretty much a dead game. I logged on into Battlezone 2 multiplayer years after its release, and there were 21 guys online. Thats how succesful MW:LL was.

People are talking about MW:LL like some holy grail and think that PGI should do everything like it was done in MW:LL, but the fact that it could never establish a appreciable playerbase suggest quite the opposite.

#43 Kmieciu

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 March 2015 - 12:54 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 09 March 2015 - 12:36 AM, said:

People are talking about MW:LL like some holy grail and think that PGI should do everything like it was done in MW:LL, but the fact that it could never establish a appreciable playerbase suggest quite the opposite.

It looked great, it sounded great, the maps were huge, there were tanks and areotech but the mech combat was simply not fun for me. Plus on-field repairs made the game even more timid than MWO during a tournament weekend :-)

#44 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 March 2015 - 02:59 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 09 March 2015 - 12:26 AM, said:

Was the legging forbidden? LOL

No?

#45 Bongo TauKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 559 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPain, Inner Perpihery, Lyran Commonwealth.

Posted 09 March 2015 - 03:03 AM

Did anyone else read that as MWO and MechWarrior II? I was so wanting a good conspiracy thread.

#46 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:03 AM

View PostAccused, on 08 March 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

Microsoft's fault, remember that. Nothing PGI did nope.

No it's not. MWLL STILL have a license from M$. That's why it's still availible.

View PostGreen Mamba, on 08 March 2015 - 05:02 PM, said:

Well there was a rumor of a Cease and Desist Letter but no one can Confirm or Deny it so no one except for a Few know the truth and that's where it stands and where it will probably stay ....I don't know what to think myself

I can deny that. there was never any official C&D issued.

View Postmrripley9, on 08 March 2015 - 05:03 PM, said:

Talking with a few of the people at MW:LL that's true.

No it's not.

#47 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 09 March 2015 - 04:06 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 08 March 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

LL footage.

Clearly a fake video.

As if cockpit monitors could ever work in a real game.

#48 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:05 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 08 March 2015 - 05:17 PM, said:

That's not how it works, or George Lucas would never have allowed any star wars related mods. It was shut down because the devs were working at crytek, and the other companies involved knew they could use that to leverage LL getting killed before they added a mechlab and good aiming - the inclusion of which would have turned LL into a grindless MWO with airplanes, tanks, combat vehicles, power armor, clans, better graphics, better sound, better everything, more maps, open to community projects, private servers...

I don't have to explain to anyone in here how embarrassing it would have been for a years old mod to eclipse the one commercial entry in the franchise.

Pretty sure Mr. Lucas is handsomely rewarded from ANY/ALL profits that those "Star Wars Mods" make. Could the LL team say the same to the current MW License holder?

View Postmrripley9, on 08 March 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

From what I've been told by the MW:LL community, they were told by PGI to stop, or be taken to court basically.

Software Licenses are like Patents. If you own a Patent and some body else decides to build the same thing and cut into your ability to profit from "your" patent, what would do? Turn the other cheek is not a likely response right?

#49 Greenjulius

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,319 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 March 2015 - 06:29 AM

I'm not sure why I never gave MWLL a try back in its heyday. It has always looked intriguing and cool, but I understand it suffered from lack of polish in many respects.

I'm hoping that this year is going to see releases of plenty of content in MWO, including weapons and maps. We're in bad need of new weapons to keep builds fresh and changing. We haven't had a new IS weapon in what... more than 2 years? I know clans technically introduced equivalents of all IS weapons... But I'd love to see something like Long Tom cannons or Blasers.

#50 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 07:59 AM

Oh, good memories. I played the hell out of this back in the day. It existed mostly in a vacuum, and was the only legitimate "modern" mechwarrior title for a long time. Out of nostalgia, we tried MW:LL at a lan party a weekend ago.

It was... clunky. Oh, so clunky. The glasses are indeed rose-colored. I didn't realize how much until last weekend.

#51 Senor Cataclysmo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:16 AM

I don't know why everyone gets so misty eyed about MWLL... I could never get into it. The animation alone was clunky enough to break my immersion. I can understand why people played MW4 for years and years, but honestly, I just dont understand LL's appeal. Give me MWO any day.

#52 Vassago Rain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 14,396 posts
  • LocationExodus fleet, HMS Kong Circumflex accent

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

View PostGreenjulius, on 09 March 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

I'm hoping that this year is going to see releases of plenty of content in MWO, including weapons and maps. We're in bad need of new weapons to keep builds fresh and changing. We haven't had a new IS weapon in what... more than 2 years? I know clans technically introduced equivalents of all IS weapons... But I'd love to see something like Long Tom cannons or Blasers.

I've got some bad news for you, son...

#53 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

I've never really got into MwLL, as the mechanics felt a little weird, and it's certainly not a jump into your favorite mech and kick ass kind of game. That said, it was a technological marvel in my opinion, and you can tell how much heart the developers put into it. I think that given more development time, it had the absolute potential of overshadowing the platform we now play.

#54 ThisMachineKillsFascists

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:31 AM

View PostSylonce, on 09 March 2015 - 08:29 AM, said:

I think that given more development time, it had the absolute potential of overshadowing the platform we now play.

Cool story. Mean while that game looks better has better maps, has shitton of mechs/weapons/maps. You can even shoot trees or birds.

Oh and it didnt have Cashgrab packages.

Carry on with your story

Edited by ThisMachineKillsFascists, 09 March 2015 - 08:45 AM.

#55 Sylonce

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 300 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

Errr....

#56 Dillirium

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

I haven't read everyone else's responses but I really miss Living Legends. I played that game a lot. Went and played some other games and came back to it to find it was no longer being worked on and the population had dropped off. I do believe that game was superior to MWO. I really wish PGI would take a hard look at MW:LL and duplicate aspects of that game.

1. Allow someone to eject from the {LT-MOB-25} pit as a soldier and fight.
2. Insert different vehicles. Coming into a fight w/ a tank instead of a mech was great. They all seemed to have their strengths/place.
3. Destructible environment added to the immersion. I loved being able to walk over trees in my big mechs. As a small mech it was better to shoot them down as I ran because they would dmg my mech a bit.
4. I loved being able to run back to the hanger if someone blew up my mech and I avoided being shot to death. I could jump in another mech. This would be a great addition to the game mode that has a base... Give us a reason to have an actual base instead of just capturing it.

#57 GeneralArmchair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 232 posts

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:47 AM

Territory control was far more important in mwll than it ever is in MWO.

MWO can't seem to escape the perpetual team death match feel.

#58 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:55 AM

View PostVassago Rain, on 08 March 2015 - 05:08 PM, said:

LL was a supposedly great game that won mod of the year, all year, for about 1000 years, yet never had any players, and balance was extremely questionable.

In short, it wasn't a fun game, but over the years, they allegedly cleaned up their act, and by 2013, you no longer got blown up by artillery, power armor could actually be hit, there were tons of maps, and so on. Despite not being fun, it was a technological masterpiece, and did things that crytek themselves assured wandering samurai that cryengine could never, ever, ever do.

Then, because people apparently felt extremely threatened that LL had like 100 players spread over 40 servers, microsoft, IGP, or whoever used 'friendly advice' to make the devs stop developing it before they could release a mechlab and MWO-styled aiming. The story and positions changed repeatedly, and we'll likely never know just what happened, or why, but the most likely reason is, people related to MWO felt pretty embarrassed that an ancient mod for an outdated version of the engine was more technologically advanced, and had more to do with battletech, than MWO.

It's not all bad, though. LL's devs moved on to rise rapidly in crytek, and after crytek had their little collapse, they were snatched up by RSI, of starcitizen fame.

LL footage.

Phil doesn't like talking about LL, its devs, MW4, and mektek, because the devs for those games allegedly have quite some bad blood for him, due to selling out to PGI.

its easy to sit back and have bad blood when they are not the ones facing court and possibly large fines, I feel for the guy, regardless of LL MWO history

#59 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 09 March 2015 - 08:56 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 09 March 2015 - 07:59 AM, said:

Oh, good memories. I played the hell out of this back in the day. It existed mostly in a vacuum, and was the only legitimate "modern" mechwarrior title for a long time. Out of nostalgia, we tried MW:LL at a lan party a weekend ago.

It was... clunky. Oh, so clunky. The glasses are indeed rose-colored. I didn't realize how much until last weekend.

That's mainly because MWO has Ballerina's, while MWLL has BattleMechs.

There is a noticeable difference. Try turning a 20 ton battlemech on a dime when moving 211 Kph...it takes awhile compared to MWO's 170 KPh. ~50% accel/deceleration bonus with doubled basics.

Edited by Mcgral18, 09 March 2015 - 08:57 AM.

#60 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 09 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostKassatsu, on 08 March 2015 - 07:31 PM, said:

I'm thinking they stuck closer to the TT values of jump jet distances and potential height in LL, as opposed to a light mech that's supposed to jump 240 meters (horizontally on an arc, with enough fuel to not explode their legs on the landing that is) can slowly hover up to about 100 meters, vertically, with 50% more jump jets equipped than the stock variant that just did a 240 horizontal arc. And that's just the arbitrary mech lab values that mean exactly nothing at all. I have no idea how high it actually jumps in-game, though I did test it out and it was actually almost fun. But not quite.

By which I mean they made them jump jets.

...Or was it the actual height in TT? That would be interesting.

blame the pop tart crowd for that nerf, no one else..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users