[Suggestion] Repair & Rearm Reintegration To Community Warfare

102 replies to this topic

Poll: Reintegrate Repair & Rearm for Community Warfare? (198 member(s) have cast votes)

Reintegrate Repair & Rearm for Community Warfare?

1. Yes (116 votes [58.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 58.59%

2. No (82 votes [41.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 41.41%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:47 PM

I have no idea how they would add repair and rearm but I am looking forward to seeing it in the game.

+1 for mech sim.

#42 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:30 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 01 April 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

I have no idea how they would add repair and rearm but I am looking forward to seeing it in the game.

+1 for mech sim.

You were in closed beta right? I remember you. It would be similar to a certain degree to that design at first (at least I assume of course), then evolve in depth and design. They cut it off too soon back then.

I think this is one of the steps (along with a couple others) we are missing toward depth and immersion. If it's fine tuned correctly and done properly according to lore it would be something to behold when it's all done. Obviously the first iteration would be complained upon, but fine tuning is what it needs.

I almost think there should be a Community Warfare state at which our mechs are in. For instance, in Assault/Conquest/Skirmish play, there should be a regular state at which your mech doesn't have attributes that are affected when not in a match. But when you go into Community Warfare, you could see your mechs in a completely different light where you last left them (partially repaired and rearmed, missing parts, etc.), nearly like a workshop where we can make orders (on a delay even), but just within Community Warfare.

I had made other topics in regards to depth (with reference to lore) if others want to see more like what I had suggested. There has been little to no views and votes, so feel free to click my profile and look within the Topic section. Every suggestion counts according to the developers, so please I invite you to have a look, discuss and vote. Now is the time, in the Beta period, to get your voice heard. After the Beta, I don't think anybody would want to look twice at anyone's opinion.

Edited by m, 01 April 2015 - 02:35 PM.

#43 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 03:25 PM

Seeing them in various states of repair would be great. If not np, but I always hoped they would add a repair crew or mechanic to level up to speed repairs. Have a down time for mechs etc.

Edited by Johnny Z, 01 April 2015 - 03:25 PM.

#44 GenAce2010

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:32 AM

R&R would add a level of depth into CW however they would probably need to reduce the drop tonnage. By adding a repair and rearm what you'll see tacticaly, is that there will be an ebb and flow to combat with players pushing and falling back to repair and rearm. You'll also see players being more cautious since they will have less mechs/tonnage to just throw away. This will also make missile boats and ballistic more viable. To off set the constant repair/rearm their must be either A ) a cool down for repairs\rearm B ) mechs in the mech bay can/should be destroyed and are powered down C ) more then likely a combination of A and B.

Also there is only one repair facility per team and there will probably be a waiting time for each repair. Each level of repair has a different time frame repairing 10% of the armor would take one minute, 20% would take 2 mins, etc. In addition each repair has diminishing returns. First repair brings the mech to 90% over all armor, second repair brings it 70% third repair brings it to 40% - there isn't a 4th repair however. Please note that a player can chose to do a rearm only, which will take 30 seconds per ton of ammo reloaded. A comple repair and reloads time frame will take which ever is longest. Remember this is field repairs, slap some metal onto the damaged spots and welded it on, will not be a permanent fix. Also does not fix structure since structure repairs are time consuming and can not be done on the field. With these systems in place smart players and teams will use the R&R as a limited and time consuming resource (self policing).

Edited by GenAce2010, 25 April 2015 - 07:33 AM.

#45 Hotthedd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:50 AM

View PostGenAce2010, on 25 April 2015 - 07:32 AM, said:

R&R would add a level of depth into CW however they would probably need to reduce the drop tonnage. By adding a repair and rearm what you'll see tacticaly, is that there will be an ebb and flow to combat with players pushing and falling back to repair and rearm. You'll also see players being more cautious since they will have less mechs/tonnage to just throw away. This will also make missile boats and ballistic more viable. To off set the constant repair/rearm their must be either A ) a cool down for repairs\rearm B ) mechs in the mech bay can/should be destroyed and are powered down C ) more then likely a combination of A and B.

Also there is only one repair facility per team and there will probably be a waiting time for each repair. Each level of repair has a different time frame repairing 10% of the armor would take one minute, 20% would take 2 mins, etc. In addition each repair has diminishing returns. First repair brings the mech to 90% over all armor, second repair brings it 70% third repair brings it to 40% - there isn't a 4th repair however. Please note that a player can chose to do a rearm only, which will take 30 seconds per ton of ammo reloaded. A comple repair and reloads time frame will take which ever is longest. Remember this is field repairs, slap some metal onto the damaged spots and welded it on, will not be a permanent fix. Also does not fix structure since structure repairs are time consuming and can not be done on the field. With these systems in place smart players and teams will use the R&R as a limited and time consuming resource (self policing).

That is NOT what the OP is suggesting.

The suggestion is to add a cost after the match to repair the damage to your mech and to replace spent ammo.

Healing stations are NOT part of the BattleTech universe, and a sloppy game mechanic.

#46 GenAce2010

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:11 AM

View PostHotthedd, on 25 April 2015 - 07:50 AM, said:

That is NOT what the OP is suggesting.

The suggestion is to add a cost after the match to repair the damage to your mech and to replace spent ammo.

Healing stations are NOT part of the BattleTech universe, and a sloppy game mechanic.

Tell that to FASA studios which implemented it into MW4, Black Knight, and Mercs. Don't need to be such a hot head.. Hotthedd. And no, it's not a sloppy game mechanic - it adds depth and strategy to the game. In the Mechwarrior universe mechs aren't nearly as numerous as you believe. They repair mechs first, they salvage mechs for parts, they don't build new ones very quickly. Pick up a digital copy of the MW book on Google play then come talk to me.

Point being, having a mobile repair and rearm station makes tactical sense.

To prove my point:

http://www.sarna.net...and_Mobile_Base
http://www.sarna.net...bile_Field_Base

Edited by GenAce2010, 25 April 2015 - 08:17 AM.

#47 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

It's great that people support Reintegration when Repairing and Rearming wasn't really given a long-standing chance.

If we can get a significant amount of votes we can make a difference.

View PostGenAce2010, on 25 April 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

Tell that to FASA studios which implemented it into MW4, Black Knight, and Mercs. Don't need to be such a hot head.. Hotthedd. And no, it's not a sloppy game mechanic - it adds depth and strategy to the game. In the Mechwarrior universe mechs aren't nearly as numerous as you believe. They repair mechs first, they salvage mechs for parts, they don't build new ones very quickly. Pick up a digital copy of the MW book on Google play then come talk to me.

To prove my point:

Hi GenAce2010. I appreciate the support and suggestion.

But we're in 3050 right now which is directly after the Succession Wars. Those bases don't exist yet or no longer exist.

Everyone needs to understand that there is a timeline that we all agreed upon years ago that we have to stick to.

Edited by m, 30 March 2016 - 06:01 AM.

#48 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostGenAce2010, on 25 April 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

To prove my point:

Not sure where you are getting that I am upset, lol.

I am well aware that Mechwarrior 4 had healing stations. In my opinion, it was the worst part of the game.
It does NOT make tactical sense in a game play fashion, it only PROMOTES herp-a-derp run in get shot run back rinse repeat arcade style playing.

Yes mechs get repaired. But not during battles, and certainly not quickly. Repairs take longer than the 30 minutes alloted to CW.

To your points:

MW3, and MW4 are not canon. They were single player PvE games.

The Weyland mobile base has not been around for 300 years. Even then, it took longer than 30 minutes to repair a mech.

The Mobile Field Base does not yet appear in the timeline. Even when it DOES, the Game rules stipulate that MFBs have NO effect during normal gameplay.

#49 GenAce2010

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:25 PM

I get the timeline aspect. I was just defending against Hotthedd's claim that it doesn't fit BattleTech cannon - which it does - hence the link. MW3 and MW4 drew from the cannon hence the original statement. And they were introduced in those games for extended operations and large scale battles - which is what CW is about. The Wayland system was introduced in the 2500's and the MFB was introduced in the year 3059. They couldn't have lost an idea to repair mechs in the field between these two timelines.

Edited by GenAce2010, 25 April 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#50 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:29 PM

View PostGenAce2010, on 25 April 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

I get the timeline aspect. I was just defending against Hotthedd's claim that it doesn't fit BattleTech cannon - which it does - hence the link. The Wayland system was introduced in the 2500's and the MFB was introduced in the year 3059. They couldn't have lost an idea to repair mechs in the field between these two timelines.

I apologize. I should have been more clear.

Insta-magical healing stations (repairing a 'mech within minutes) are not canon, and have not been part of the BT universe since the unicorns died off.

#51 GenAce2010

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:33 PM

View PostHotthedd, on 25 April 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

I apologize. I should have been more clear.

Insta-magical healing stations (repairing a 'mech within minutes) are not canon, and have not been part of the BT universe since the unicorns died off.

You are absolutely right, what I had suggested was about spot welding and repairs. They have built in automated systems that can weld. I'm not suggesting complete repairs. I'm talking about slapping some metal in spots to get the mech out on the field again.

#52 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:39 PM

View PostGenAce2010, on 25 April 2015 - 12:33 PM, said:

You are absolutely right, what I had suggested was about spot welding and repairs. They have built in automated systems that can weld. I'm not suggesting complete repairs. I'm talking about slapping some metal in spots to get the mech out on the field again.

That isn't what MW3 and MW4 did, and you used those as examples.

Again, mid-match repairs are a sloppy game mechanic. Mistakes and/or bad luck have consequences. (Obviously, I am not a fan of the in-game re-spawns PGI has come up with)

Also, neither of the canon mobile bases you cited are capable of repairing even just the armor in 30 minutes or less.

#53 GenAce2010

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:45 PM

View PostHotthedd, on 25 April 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

That isn't what MW3 and MW4 did, and you used those as examples.

Again, mid-match repairs are a sloppy game mechanic. Mistakes and/or bad luck have consequences. (Obviously, I am not a fan of the in-game re-spawns PGI has come up with)

Also, neither of the canon mobile bases you cited are capable of repairing even just the armor in 30 minutes or less.

You are obviously entrenched in this belief and I respect your opinion however I humbly disagree and let's leave it at that.

#54 DoctorZuber

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 12:50 PM

I admit, I honestly don't know how I feel about this.

I might be agreeable to seeing it tried, but it would have to be balanced and worked out in some way. It could add interesting depth, or it could break things horribly.

I would have to see it in action and decide from there.

#55 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 25 April 2015 - 01:54 PM

If I could say yes twice i would. This is needed to add some depth to the star map which basically has none yet.

It of course should be added in a good way along with other additions.

Great topic.

+1

#56 Hotthedd

• The People's Hero
  • 3,213 posts
  • LocationDixie

Posted 25 April 2015 - 02:14 PM

View PostGenAce2010, on 25 April 2015 - 12:45 PM, said:

You are obviously entrenched in this belief and I respect your opinion however I humbly disagree and let's leave it at that.

Well bargained, and met.

#57 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 28 April 2015 - 08:04 AM

You posted that this idea should be reintegrated. How can it be reintegrated when it was never implemented in the first place?

While I may want to see some kind of Repair or Rearm, I have not seen a proposal that I think that would be fair, or any that I like. Sorry. :(

#58 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostKalimaster, on 28 April 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

You posted that this idea should be reintegrated. How can it be reintegrated when it was never implemented in the first place?

It was integrated in Closed Beta for about 2 weeks, 3 years ago, from what I remember, and wasn't really fine tuned.

View PostKalimaster, on 28 April 2015 - 08:04 AM, said:

While I may want to see some kind of Repair or Rearm, I have not seen a proposal that I think that would be fair, or any that I like. Sorry. :(

Well the game is community driven to a certain extent, so if you think of anything that you suppose would be fair feel free to propose it in here and make sure to vote.

Edited by m, 29 April 2015 - 09:11 AM.

#59 Celtic Warrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 507 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Operations - Tukayyid - Honolulu HI

Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

It would be a cool feature to add to the game but this would make it much harder on the attackers.

#60 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 29 April 2015 - 01:04 PM

Yes! For the love of God, yes!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users