ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:41 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 26 March 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

True, but Lagertha did exist, she was married to the real Ragnar Lodbrok, kind of the first Viking to lead the charge into England...

referring to the actress. Period setting actors and all don't always make good scifi ones, and vice versa.

#122 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 March 2015 - 12:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 March 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

referring to the actress. Period setting actors and all don't always make good scifi ones, and vice versa.

That maybe, but since she was almost a no-name before Vikings, I'd give her a shot, bet she'd work for peanuts too.

#123 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 26 March 2015 - 12:47 PM, said:

That maybe, but since she was almost a no-name before Vikings, I'd give her a shot, bet she'd work for peanuts too.

Maybe so, like I said, she might work. Of course, us knuckledraggers will fight tooth and nail and complain about ANY casting as bad as a bunch of Twihards for a role like Natty K, so........ :P

#124 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 26 March 2015 - 01:47 PM

Safest bet for a movie would be animated, gang. No reason to do BT as an actual live-action movie: the market just isn't there.

#125 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 02:53 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 26 March 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

That's the second movie.

MWO: Clancheese

That's the finale.

What was the first, MWO: soon™?

#126 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:06 PM

View PostVtTimber, on 26 March 2015 - 04:21 AM, said:

See link- http://www.ign.com/a...movie-franchise Hope for the unseen?

It would certainly greatly increase the chances.

You just have to make it clear to Sony in writing that the new Unseen designs will not step on any copyright of Macross, that is make designs that are only somewhat basically similar but different enough.

Hopefully it opens up legally bringing Macross Frontier legally in sub and dub form. There is now a new Macross anime series in the works, and casting calls are now being made. The project name is Macross (Delta symbol).

Edited by Anjian, 26 March 2015 - 08:12 PM.

#127 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 08:27 PM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 26 March 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

I've never watched robotech, but if it is Marauders from space fighting Warhammers from earth, I'm game.
but if it has LAMs I'll probably take a pass.

If you can just find the original Macross, which is the pure unfiltered version of the first and most important part, then you are good.

Should note that Macross is very different from Battletech is that:

1. It takes place on Earth and around it.
2. It is Aliens (Zentraedi) vs. Humans.
3. It is a story about love, and a love triangle.

The Marauder is basically one of the Zentraedi battlepods. Its not really a mech but more of a suit since the Zentraedi were giants. The Warhammer and the Rifleman were AA mechs that attach themselves to the size of a massive mothership sized spaceship that can transform itself into an enormous mech. The AA mechs provide defence for the Super Dimensional Fortress Macross while the Valkyrie Veritech fighters (there are six variants of such) provide the main striking power. The Veritech fighters can transform themselves from F-14 Tomcat wannabes into mechs (also copied into Battletech as the unseen).

The story reminds me a bit of Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers) by Leiji Matsumoto.

The creator of Macross is Shoji Kawamori, who is still active today in many anime series (M3 The Dark Metal, the Aquarion series, Eureka 7, Escaflowne). He also made designs for the Armored Core series.

But one achievement of Shoji Kawamori stands best of all --- he is the designer for many of the original Transformers, including Optimus Prime.

Edited by Anjian, 26 March 2015 - 08:32 PM.

#128 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 736 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:03 PM

See link-

http://www.ign.com/a...movie-franchise

Hope for the unseen?

I'd love to jump on the happy bandwagon but this is only live-action movie rights. Relating this info with the Unseens seems like exaggerated wishful thinking.

Edited by Cmdr Hurrell, 26 March 2015 - 10:05 PM.

#129 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:27 PM

Hope for the unseen?

I hope not if it means that Sony get their hands on MWO in any way. They would destroy what MechWarrior is and turn it into a World Of Mechs piece of **** mindless grind to appeal to the massive audience of unthinking sheep.

If however they had no say at all in the game(MWO), and no clause to have any whatsoever, then .... YES !!!

#130 EGG

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 11:37 PM

This is bad new for the unseen and a pretty awfully incorrect thread title/OP.

It will mean:
- HG have only leased the rights
- more money for HG lawyers
- Sony will very likely want a console game tie-in (irrespective of selling SOE) which any shovelware dev can do, although thinking about it, I think Sony would only end up with limited ownership of any VG depictions...

The only saving graces are:
- HG have limited to no rights in Japan, which could make a PlayStation release there problematic, and therefore any chance of a console game unviable

Your best chance for the unseen at this point, LOL, would be PGI offering to be the shovelware devs who make the console game of the movie in return for mecha backscratching. That would be top lel if it occurred.

#131 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 27 March 2015 - 01:59 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 26 March 2015 - 05:08 AM, said:

That'd be a lot of political history to wade through for an entry-level movie. Gray Death might be safer, since they can just approach it from the merc point of view and deal with all house politics over time.

Also - Stackpoling:

Posted Image

Someone rang?
Posted Image

#132 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:03 AM

View PostAnjian, on 26 March 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

Should note that Macross is very different from Battletech is that:

1. It takes place on Earth and around it.
2. It is Aliens (Zentraedi) vs. Humans.
3. It is a story about love, and a love triangle.

Yes, the difference is impressive.

#133 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:04 AM

The problem I see with "Robotech" is that it has ZERO visibility outside of the NA area. Everywhere else, everyone knows the important and most crucial part of the Robotech IP as Macross.

As far as Macross is concerned, the IP still appears to be under Studio Nue, which also appears to hold the IP for Space Battleship Yamato (Uuchuu Senkan Yamato, also known as Star Blazers). Studio Nue also did the mechanical design work for Armored Core.

Studio Nue also did Crusher Joe, which is the source of one of the now former Unseen, the Locust. This event suggests that PGI can deal with Nue directly.

#134 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:09 AM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 27 March 2015 - 02:03 AM, said:

Yes, the difference is impressive.

Should add that mainly, the mechs fly and fight in the air and in space, and they do it fast. That means a lot of weaving and dodging, especially in the face of the trademark of the series, the so called Missile Massacre, which has since then, greatly influenced mecha anime, but remains distinctly, a signature of Macross.

#135 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:00 AM

If you like mecha then there certainly is a difference, but to the general audience the difference is the same as between Star Wars and Star Trek. A few years ago I rewatched the old Robotech cartoon season 1, having fond memories from my childhood, but now found the series to be utterly boring and childish. As with most anime, though it remains my quilty pleasure to watch it from time to time.

The story is always the same. Young protaganist who is barely aware and unworthy is told by elderly person, from which he desperately seeks confirmation but never gets it, he is inexplicably the only hope for humanity who built machines that can only be operated by childern. Weapons that are not fixed to these machines cannot harm the enemy when fired by someone else. Meanwhile he is taunted by people slightly older than he is who are insanely jealous of his skill, and, oblivious bouncing boobs.

#136 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:52 AM

View PostAnjian, on 27 March 2015 - 02:04 AM, said:

The problem I see with "Robotech" is that it has ZERO visibility outside of the NA area. Everywhere else, everyone knows the important and most crucial part of the Robotech IP as Macross.

As far as Macross is concerned, the IP still appears to be under Studio Nue, which also appears to hold the IP for Space Battleship Yamato (Uuchuu Senkan Yamato, also known as Star Blazers). Studio Nue also did the mechanical design work for Armored Core.

Studio Nue also did Crusher Joe, which is the source of one of the now former Unseen, the Locust. This event suggests that PGI can deal with Nue directly.

Also notable is that Studio Nue did the artwork for the Japanese release of BattleTech.

Talk about coming full circle, eh? ;)

#137 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:58 AM

Hope. That is what this gives us. :)

#138 girl on fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

Is robotech even a hot property? Has it even been relevant in the last 10 years? TBH the only reason i even know it exists is because my older brother watched it and passed his DVDs down to me when he went off to college. I don't think I even really liked it much, or understood it. All I knew is that Minmei was the most annoying piece of **** ever put on screen. But I was 11 years old when I saw it, so....

I did, a few years ago, watch Macross Plus, and that was pretty cool. best part was no ******* minmei.

#139 Hawk819

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,624 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 27 March 2015 - 11:31 AM

I'm not getting my hopes up for this to happen. It'd be nice if it did. . . but in the past, well, we all know how that worked out.

#140 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 27 March 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

Also notable is that Studio Nue did the artwork for the Japanese release of BattleTech.

Talk about coming full circle, eh? ;)

Wow that is so much nicer. They should just make that part of the design canon. The "Unseen" designs would quite clearly skirt pass the Macross designs, and it seems so purposedly and well designed to do so.

Most of these would be pretty difficult to render for a computer game anyway. I like the Marauder, it looks like a King Crab.

Posted Image

Edited by Anjian, 27 March 2015 - 05:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users