146 replies to this topic

#21 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:18 AM

From the source I read it's only the Film Rights, and Harmony Gold is executive producing...

That means you can bet your bottom Locust they aren't letting anything out of their grip. This is their whole reason to exist.

#22 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:29 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 26 March 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

You're probably right. But knowing Hollywood's lust for book series to movie adaptations, I wouldn't be surprised if they just skipped straight to 3049 and cashed in on the clans.

Thats the second movie. :)

#23 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 26 March 2015 - 05:29 AM, said:

Thats the second movie. :)

Heh. Yeah, and the first will probably end with a post-credits coda showing a Timber Wolf skulking in the shadows. Even if the plot is set in Thunder Rift. Because Timber Wolf.

#24 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:35 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 26 March 2015 - 05:18 AM, said:

From the source I read it's only the Film Rights, and Harmony Gold is executive producing...

Pretty much this, and the fact that Sony just paid a whole load of spacebucks just to think about making a movie, so I would say Sonycorp would be even less happy about some nerds getting some free fun out of 'their' intellectual property. HG now also knows the rights are actually worth something, so there is even less incentive for them to be accommodating.

Basically, and very sadly, I think this just means there is now more money for HG lawyers, and way less chance of a Marauder.

#25 JohnnyWayne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:36 AM

Well Sony is a japanese company... So... They don't have rights to some of their suites? And that might lead to clearing up the international rights situation between FASA and HG.... Maybe was stupid from HG to do that, but thats better news than no news...

#26 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:38 AM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 26 March 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

Pretty much this, and the fact that Sony just paid a whole load of spacebucks just to think about making a movie, so I would say Sonycorp would be even less happy about some nerds getting some free fun out of 'their' intellectual property. HG now also knows the rights are actually worth something, so there is even less incentive for them to be accommodating.

Basically, and very sadly, I think this just means there is now more money for HG lawyers, and way less chance of a Marauder.

Ya well the two giant companies are sharing games on thier consoles now, which says alot and any news about this at all means the other company is open for business.

For video game rights whos going to argue with Mechwarrior? They got all the cards, and in a good way as far as I am concerned.

+1 for Marauder in a mech sim. :)

Edited by Johnny Z, 26 March 2015 - 05:40 AM.

#27 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:39 AM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 26 March 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

DC Universe Online is a Sony game. Free to Play but they nickle and dime you.

#28 William Mountbank

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 671 posts
  • LocationBayern

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:46 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 26 March 2015 - 05:39 AM, said:

DC Universe Online is a Sony game. Free to Play but they nickle and dime you.

For sure, and I'm not saying Sony is inherently bad. But PGI have the game rights for BT, plus an outside franchise using designs from Robotech devalues Sony's efforts with the film. There's every reason for them not to get together. We can always hope for the best, but I really think this doesn't change anything for us playing MWO or imagining a BT feature film.

#29 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:48 AM

View PostWilliam Mountbank, on 26 March 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

We can always hope for the best, but I really think this doesn't change anything for us playing MWO or imagining a BT feature film.

My hope lies more along the lines of Robotech and Pacific Rim sparking market interest in the genre. BattleTech has been king of the western mecha for a long time. If a market interest arises, odds could be good.

Edited by Rhaythe, 26 March 2015 - 05:48 AM.

#30 StUffz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The All Seeing
  • The All Seeing
  • 485 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 05:49 AM

Ok, I have read through the articles and from what I understand, Sony Pictures Entertainment (a US Division of Sony) only claimed the rights to produce the movie. That's all. The rights for "Macross" Franchise remains with Harmony Gold.

In other words, Harmony Gold is just milking the cow again.

I am somehow scared to imagine Tobey Maguire as Roy Fokker...

Edited by StUffz, 26 March 2015 - 05:52 AM.

#31 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:03 AM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 26 March 2015 - 04:59 AM, said:

So first came Pacific Rim. Then Syfy decided to give us Atlantic Rim.

I do not think there is a movie or concept that Syfy will not steal, copy, borrow or mutilate.

So perhaps we can MWO: The Movie brought to you by the makers of Sharknado

I am sure someone with more skills and humor than I can fill in the cast and plot :)

MWO: Who's got more ECM?

#32 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,010 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:07 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 26 March 2015 - 04:55 AM, said:

Oh, agreed completely. It would be real easy to fudge the movie up. But in honesty, if they just took the first few Gray Death books and ran with that story, I'm sold.

I though the same. A trilogy...mmmmh.

#33 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:12 AM

unseen that I want, is this!, not the one in the video, PGI you make this I'll be the first in line to get one! thx...

http://www.sarna.net...rhammer.jpg.png

#34 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:17 AM

View Postsycocys, on 26 March 2015 - 06:03 AM, said:

MWO: Who's got more ECM?

That's the second movie.

MWO: Clancheese

That's the finale.

#35 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:18 AM

View PostStUffz, on 26 March 2015 - 05:49 AM, said:

Ok, I have read through the articles and from what I understand, Sony Pictures Entertainment (a US Division of Sony) only claimed the rights to produce the movie. That's all. The rights for "Macross" Franchise remains with Harmony Gold.

In other words, Harmony Gold is just milking the cow again.

I am somehow scared to imagine Tobey Maguire as Roy Fokker...

I imagine that Maguire might (see below) make a passable Rick Hunter, while Charlie Hunnam would make a better Roy Focker.

Though... would Minmay Lynn (who is supposed to be of mixed Chinese & Japanese heritage in Macross/Robotech) be played by an Asian or Asian-American actress, or would the character be white-washed (see: the recent hoopla over the casting of Scarlett Johansson as Mokoto Kusanagi in the live-action GitS film)? :huh:

Then again, Hikaru Ichijyo (that is, Rick Hunter; see above) was also supposed to be ethnically Japanese... :rolleyes:
(Roy, on the other hand, was an American in both Macross and Robotech.)

#36 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

View PostKjudoon, on 26 March 2015 - 06:17 AM, said:

That's the second movie.

MWO: Clancheese

That's the finale.

Exactly. The second movie the clans attack stagger the inner sphere houses who are unaware and unready to repel them. Third movie Houses start to fight back and the clans find out their mechs are not better than the inner sphere mechs so they say "I quit" and go back to the outer rim on their dust balls and sulk. haha

Edited by Johnny Z, 26 March 2015 - 06:21 AM.

#37 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:20 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 26 March 2015 - 05:17 AM, said:

You're probably right. But knowing Hollywood's lust for book series to movie adaptations, I wouldn't be surprised if they just skipped straight to 3049 and cashed in on the clans.

View PostRhaythe, on 26 March 2015 - 05:35 AM, said:

Heh. Yeah, and the first will probably end with a post-credits coda showing a Timber Wolf skulking in the shadows. Even if the plot is set in Thunder Rift. Because Timber Wolf.

Thurston's The Legend of the Jade Phoenix might bake for a good movie (or set of movies)...? ;)

#38 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:24 AM

Reality check..

HG let go the movie rights to a very rich and I suspect desperate Sony a company that has shrunk massively,they just sold off the last rights Everquest, amoung other things. I don't think they own a single online game now that is for anything but the console.
kind of money Sony has compared to PGI, I suspect we might just get a warhammer foot, if anything.

Don't get me wrong, i'll throw cash at this game again if I see a Pheonix Hawk Wasp, Stinger, Warhammer, Marauder, Crusader, Archer, and completely ignore the 'pro' gamers calls of it bring nothing to M.W.O its D.O.A but I think some sane thinking and stop the OMG OMG we're getting unseen calls, is required, because even if Russ was off today talking to HG and they said yes today, then we won't see these until middle of 2016, earliest.

Though I think that, we had better hope the macros film/s bomb, or we can wave bye bye forever to the above mentioned mechs as Sony will bring out a Macros console gave and that will be that.

I don't see this announcement as hope, I see it as the last screw going in the coffin for Unseen, all it needs is the Wreath, and that will happen if the films gross buckets of cash.

#39 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:29 AM

View PostCathy, on 26 March 2015 - 06:24 AM, said:

Reality check..

HG let go the movie rights to a very rich and I suspect desperate Sony a company that has shrunk massively,they just sold off the last rights Everquest, amoung other things. I don't think they own a single online game now that is for anything but the console.
kind of money Sony has compared to PGI, I suspect we might just get a warhammer foot, if anything.

Don't get me wrong, i'll throw cash at this game again if I see a Pheonix Hawk Wasp, Stinger, Warhammer, Marauder, Crusader, Archer, and completely ignore the 'pro' gamers calls of it bring nothing to M.W.O its D.O.A but I think some sane thinking and stop the OMG OMG we're getting unseen calls, is required, because even if Russ was off today talking to HG and they said yes today, then we won't see these until middle of 2016, earliest.

Though I think that, we had better hope the macros film/s bomb, or we can wave bye bye forever to the above mentioned mechs as Sony will bring out a Macros console gave and that will be that.

I don't see this announcement as hope, I see it as the last screw going in the coffin for Unseen, all it needs is the Wreath, and that will happen if the films gross buckets of cash.

A robotech console game would be more like a RSOR than Mechwarrior online. I dont have issues with one game vrs the other. Robotech simply doesn have factions like Mechwarrior, no game does which is cool. Anyway Mechwarrior has ALL the cards for an awsome online game.

#40 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 26 March 2015 - 06:32 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 26 March 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

A robotech console game would be more like a RSOR than Mechwarrior online. I dont have issues with one game vrs the other. Robotech simply doesn have factions like Mechwarrior, no game does which is cool. Anyway Mechwarrior has ALL the cards for an awsome online game.

so you really think sony would allow mech that look like the macros games mech but renamed, lets talk MWLL and the way that ended

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users