21 replies to this topic

#1 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

Many of us know that the GHR is a solid mech for flanking/skirmishing but gives us glimpses that it could be a signature go-to mech for heavies. All it needs is one or two small quirk changes to do it. What do you think the quirk changes should to push it up to "great" status?

For me, the N variant could use either a slightly bigger range or heat
Buff so those PPCs are worth more. Either that or a nice PPC velocity boost.

The H needs something OTHER than an ML buff. Heck, how about a nice SPL buff or LPL or ERPPC?

The J... really Iike it except for the silly ams buff. Or the missile buff. Nope, sorry. Two silly buffs nobody is really gonna use.

I still would love to see a JJ buff that allows it to act like it has 25 or 50 percent more time or thrust so you REALLY jump.

Anyway, what would make this mech special or great in your mind?

Hope I didn't mix up the variants.

#2 Otto Cannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,689 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostKjudoon, on 28 March 2015 - 08:47 PM, said:

Anyway, what would make this mech special or great in your mind?

In my mind it's the jumping ability, but in the game I realise that I'm remembering how it should be and I've actually got a heavy that hovers slightly in a comically slow way and facehumps canyon walls in exchange for a load of useful tonnage.

#3 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:26 PM

Give it ECM, I'll even go buy a resistance pack for that.

#4 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:41 PM

First of all all varients need center torso buff. Leave the Structure one and add armor 10. Make N have the same quirks. This is needed because the center torso is so prone to being shot out.

For the J Remove ERLL cool down and make it LPL cool down. Remove AMS quirk and make it LPL heat generation and range. It has less hard points so give it higher level of LPL quirks to make up for this.

For the H remove missle cool down and ad ML range. Add LL or LPL heat.

For the N Remove PPC quirk and give it MPL range and heat quirks.

Done

Posted Image

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 28 March 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#5 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:42 PM

View PostOtto Cannon, on 28 March 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

In my mind it's the jumping ability, but in the game I realise that I'm remembering how it should be and I've actually got a heavy that hovers slightly in a comically slow way and facehumps canyon walls in exchange for a load of useful tonnage.

Buff jump jets in general.

Specifically for the Hopper I'm not seeing any problems. It could use some slight buffs to its quirks (add range or duration modifiers) but it feels reasonably well balanced as-is.

#6 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:50 PM

I have been running mine without jump jets. Which is stupid, because thats one of it's features. But they are suckballs, on heavy and assault, so I use the tonnage for DHS and engine.

I just started running these. Like actually just tonight. They need a big XL. Despite being leggy as all get out, people dont ever shoot there because the mech is so tall.

IMO, it is not quite durable enough seeing as the most logical loadouts are going to be medium laser based, with maybe some longer range secondary stuff like twin PPC or something. I would be 100% fine with it's durability, if it had some better heat quirks to give it better fire sustainability in the fuzzball. You can fight pretty well and flank, but it has this weird dichotomy of getting around to flank easily, and then not being able to press the flank because it gets to hot.

I would say, add 10% general energy heat buff to what it has and see what happens. I would say just on ML so it can brawl, but I strongly prefer MPL for PING related reasons, and I do not see a reason to restrict what type of energy is put on the thing. 10% is a solid buff for DPS reasons, while not being enough to boat huge energy weapons like triple PPC or something.

Otherwise I find it spreads dmg acceptable well, just can;t soak quite enough to be a sustainable force one the fuzz starts up when you have to wait for heat to dissipate and can't use any suppression fire.

#7 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

Well, ecm is not a quirk. :)

And till ecm is fixed... I'd like to see no more of it.

#8 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:03 PM

With the Grasshopper you are building an IS laser mech with an IS XL engine and need to compete vs. Clan Laser mechs with superior lasers and superior engines.

It has overall decent geometry, but it is a awkwardly large at times.

With that in mind I think the next step shouldn't be large but I'd like to test changes similar to this:

5H (STOCK = MLAS & LLAS)
ACCELERATION RATE (LOW SPEED): 10.00 %
ACCELERATION RATE (MED SPEED): 10.00 %
ACCELERATION RATE (HIGH SPEED): 10.00 %
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (CT): 11.00
ADDITIONAL ARMOR (LL): 15.00
ADDITIONAL ARMOR (RL): 15.00
ADDITIONAL ARMOR (LA): 11.00
ADDITIONAL ARMOR (RA): 11.00
MEDIUM LASER COOLDOWN: 10.00 %
ENERGY COOLDOWN: 10.00 %
ENERGY HEAT GENERATION: -12.50 %
MISSILE COOLDOWN: 12.50 %

*Remove MLAS CD
*Remove Missile CD
*Increase Heat Gen to -15%
*Add +15% Energy Range/+15% Pulse Laser Range (Large & Medium)

5J (MLAS & ERLLAS)
Max Engine: 365
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (CT): 11.00
ER LARGE LASER COOLDOWN: 10.00 %
ENERGY COOLDOWN: 10.00 %
ENERGY HEAT GENERATION: -12.50 %
AMS RANGE: 10.00 %

*Remove AMS Range
*Remove ERLLAS CD
*Increase Energy Heat Gen to -15%
*Add -12.5% Laser Beam Duration
*Add -12.5% ERLLAS/LLAS Beam Duration

5N (MLAS & PPC)
TORSO TURN RATE (YAW): 7.50 %
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (LT): 9.00
ADDITIONAL STRUCTURE (RT): 9.00
PPC HEAT GENERATION: -10.00 %
ENERGY HEAT GENERATION: -10.00 %
ENERGY COOLDOWN: 12.50 %

*ADD PPC Velocity +40%

#9 CocoaJin

• 3,607 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 28 March 2015 - 10:26 PM

View PostXetelian, on 28 March 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

Give it ECM, I'll even go buy a resistance pack for that.

Not till 3060 something...

#10 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:37 PM

I agree with OP, something seems "off" about GHR quirks, or... its like missing one or something.

#11 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 March 2015 - 12:24 AM

View PostRoboPatton, on 28 March 2015 - 11:37 PM, said:

I agree with OP, something seems "off" about GHR quirks, or... its like missing one or something.

Right... and its not a single big buff or lotws of them.. just one maybe two increases in their buffs or a more appropriate one. For instance, the ML quirks on the H. Sure you can bot 8 but its NOT a good brawling mech and MLs are too short range to make it good for flanking/ skirmishing which seem to be this mech's forte.

Its quivering on the edge to make it a prime CW mech or even a solid but not broken competitive mech.

#12 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 01:44 AM

The Grasshopper is fine. The only one that needs some sort of quirk pass is the J since it has both less hardpoints, and lower mounts than the other two.

The 5H has a couple high mounts and 7 energy hardpoints, making it a perfect laser vomit platform.

The 5N has 8 energy hardpoints. While it has two high mounts as well, only one can fit a large weapon making it a good candidate for MPL's, but it can also mount a laser vomit build almost as well as the 5H.

As far as IS heavies go, I would say the only ones that stands to outclass it is the Thunderbolt 5SS. This is a top tier heavy that can run well with the current meta. Additional quirks are more likely to make the thing overpowered, which in turn will cause it to be nerfed into oblivion to hang out with the Highlander and Victor.

#13 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:02 AM

View PostJohn80sk, on 29 March 2015 - 01:44 AM, said:

The Grasshopper is fine. The only one that needs some sort of quirk pass is the J since it has both less hardpoints, and lower mounts than the other two.

The 5H has a couple high mounts and 7 energy hardpoints, making it a perfect laser vomit platform.

The 5N has 8 energy hardpoints. While it has two high mounts as well, only one can fit a large weapon making it a good candidate for MPL's, but it can also mount a laser vomit build almost as well as the 5H.

As far as IS heavies go, I would say the only ones that stands to outclass it is the Thunderbolt 5SS. This is a top tier heavy that can run well with the current meta. Additional quirks are more likely to make the thing overpowered, which in turn will cause it to be nerfed into oblivion to hang out with the Highlander and Victor.

A little more range would be nice to trade with clan lasers a bit better, but maybe they are saving the range buffs for the Black Knight.

#14 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:07 AM

Smaller size would be nice.

#15 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:44 AM

The quirks should be all energy and at least one of them should have LPL quirks, the N should have medium pulse quirks. And all of them should have 10% energy range. The J I don't really know what quirks I'd prefer, but certainly it should be one of the large group of lasers (LPL,LL,ERLL) and pretty strong ones, I'd be fine with focusing more on the ERLL. It could also just have strong general energy quirks.

The chassis in itself is excellent however, so no thunderbolt level quirks, it is too good for that.

Functioning jumpjets would be a game changer for this mech as for the Victor, highlander and many others. That needs to happen as well.

#16 The Massive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 331 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 March 2015 - 02:51 AM

Nothing is missing with the GHR. Even the AMS quirks are nice. The mech needs for nothing. It has already made my Jester obsolete.

#17 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:34 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 29 March 2015 - 02:07 AM, said:

Smaller size would be nice.

Yes Iknow. But I am talking of easy things like quirks. No changes in hardpoints or geometries or anything like that. In many ways all those things work fine for The Lurch.

#18 StraferX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 640 posts
  • LocationWest Virginia

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:20 AM

I think all variants are in pretty good order but to make it a complete comp mech or very valid CW mech I would love to see minor CT armor buff and MPL buff. Very minor adjustments are all that is required.

As for the JJ's I do not have a problem with them, they get me to places I could not normaly reach yet I'm not flying all about like a hummingbird. They also let me power turn and that is essential for dropping the hammer on those pesky lights looking for your back. If they got a very minor boost I reckon that would be ok. I just wish JJ's let me bind to my hat switch so I could directional thrust.

#19 warner2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:24 AM

Making it the correct size would be the best quirk... How it ever got modelled and released that big is mind boggling.

Generally it needs more energy range quirks.

#20 Levi Porphyrogenitus

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 4,763 posts
  • LocationAurora, Indiana, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way

Posted 29 March 2015 - 04:40 AM

1 - Rework JJs. I've suggested this before elsewhere, but I'll repeat it here: have JJs work in two stages, initial lift-off (6m height per JJ, when you first tap the JJs they launch you upward like a hard kick in the pants) and descent (sustained thrust to get horizontal distance, and feathering to soften landings). The fuel indicator remains, but it only shows how much post-lift-off thrust you can generate, and it scales based on the number of JJs; initial lift-off does not impact your fuel state. Any time your JJs are active you have significant dynamic precision reduction (deviation of weapon impacts around your point of aim, similar to the current system when jumping), but instead of it going away instantly when you let off your jets it decays, though landing will instantly zero the effect.

2 - 5H: Add ML Heat Generation (-12.5%, for a total of 25%), Energy Range (+10%), and ML Range (+10%, for a total of 20%).

3 - 5J: Add ERLL Heat Generation (-12.5%, for a total of 25%), Laser Duration (-10%), and ERLL Duration (-10%, for a total of 20%).

4 - 5N: Increase Energy Heat Generation (from -10% to -20%) and PPC Heat Generation (from -10% to -20%, for a total of 40%), add PPC Velocity (40%).

5 - Add Additional Armor CT (15) to all variants.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users