[App] Rollmouse - Easily Perform Large Torso Twists Whilst Preserving A Low Mouse Sensitivity For Accuracy.

12 replies to this topic

#1 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 29 March 2015 - 11:03 AM

This script is currently very much a Work In Progress, and at this time should be considered "Experimental".
You will probably need to edit variables in the code to get it working nicely for you, and you will need AutoHotkey installed, so this one is currently probably only advised for people who know a bit of AHK for now.

So what does it do?
With a mouse, if you want to make a long motion in one direction (ie torso twist from all the way left to all the way right), you have to keep picking it up and re positioning it, and it stops while you pick it up.
With a trackball, you just spin the ball, then put your hand back on the ball when you want to stop.
RollMouse simulates spinning a virtual trackball, but with a mouse.
If you move your mouse quickly, then pick the mouse up off the mat while still moving, the sensor goes from "I am moving really fast!" to "I am not moving" quicker than it would if you just stopped moving the mouse while still on the mat (due to inertia). RollMouse tries to detect this "flick and lift" and generate mouse input in the direction you moved, until you put the mouse back on the mat.

The upshot is that it lets you play MWO with a low mouse sensitivity (good for accuracy), but when you want to perform a long torso twist, you can just flick the mouse in the desired direction and pick the mouse up off the mat.
The software detects the flick and lift, and keeps rotating the torso in the desired direction until you place the mouse back on the mat.

The code is here: https://github.com/evilC/RollMouse/

You may well need to fiddle with some of the variables (clearly marked which ones you should edit) to get it to work properly with your mouse's DPI settings. My mouse DPI for MWO is currently set to 200DPI - so you may want to try that first to see if the script works for you out-the-box.

Edited by evilC, 24 June 2015 - 07:25 AM.

#2 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 23 May 2015 - 08:40 AM

Much improved version now uploaded.
X and Y "proportional" rolling is now supported - if you gesture right and slightly up, the roll will be right and slightly up.

#3 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:00 PM

Major re-write, now a lot more reliable.

#4 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 24 June 2015 - 04:48 AM

Version 1.0.0 relased.

Now packaged as an application - you no longer need to install AutoHotkey or fiddle with a text editor.

Posted Image

Edited by evilC, 24 June 2015 - 04:50 AM.

#5 Clit Beastwood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:10 AM

It's not something I'd use - but I definitely appreciate the time you're taking and the fact that you are trying to share it with the community :)

#6 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:24 AM

Weird thing is, I get a bunch of positive feedback (eg on my reddit thread) that people think the idea is cool, but nobody seems to have tried it and reported back.

Hell, even "it doesn't work" is better than silence :(

#7 nabor

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 05:30 PM

Thanks for another great tool. I'm already use UJR on daily basis (MWO unable to recognize my throttle control). And now second very useful tool. I still trying to get used to it, but the whole idea of binding useful action to lifting mouse up is brilliant.

#8 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:00 AM

Cheers man, please let me know what you think - I am especially interested if you feel that it kicks in when you don't want it to, or if it doesn't kick in when you do want it to.

#9 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:05 AM

Version 1.0.4 released.

+ No functionality changes, just added homepage link and update notifications.

This new version will hit a web URL, which gives me usage stats (ie how many times it is run). It does NOT collect any identifiable information at all.
I also added a link to the UI which will take you to the main discussion thread on the autohotkey forums.

Edited by evilC, 12 July 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#10 Krigherren

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 94 posts
  • LocationProbably sleeping in my mech.

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:57 AM

Very interesting. I'm going to give this a shot.

#11 Mad Squirrel

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2016 - 08:31 AM

Im using it and liking it alot. My only question is how the 'limit to application: ahk_class' works? I did window spy and found CryEngine but it still works when mwo isnt loaded? Im wanting a feature similar to #ifwinactive but not sure this is it?

#12 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 09 July 2016 - 09:22 AM

This is a new idea, I have yet to try it.

#13 evilC

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:22 AM

View PostMad Squirrel, on 09 July 2016 - 08:31 AM, said:

Im using it and liking it alot. My only question is how the 'limit to application: ahk_class' works? I did window spy and found CryEngine but it still works when mwo isnt loaded? Im wanting a feature similar to #ifwinactive but not sure this is it?

That setting is indeed implemented using #IfWinActive, and as such only controls hotkeys.
The mouse input for RollMouse does not use hotkeys (As you cannot declare a hotkey to mouse movement, only buttons), so it will have no effect.
At some point I will be writing a new version of RollMouse for my new engine (UCR) and the plan is to allow per-application settings for that, but this could be some time off.
In the meantime, I will look into making the "Toggle Functionality" hotkey in RollMouse work, so you can turn it on or off with a hotkey.

Edited by evilC, 22 July 2016 - 03:24 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users