Timberwolf For New Player

18 replies to this topic

#1 CruiseMissileCowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 108 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:20 AM

What's your best Timberwolf Prime Setup?

Edited by CruiseMissileCowboy, 30 March 2015 - 08:35 AM.

#2 Lordred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

Welcome, a still popular build for the Timberwolf is something known as "Laser Vomit"

However I feel you can make your MAD CAT perform very well if you just tweak the default loadout.

I would try this.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...214ba1648098961

The LRM is a support weapon, use it as such, it will not be your primary weapon

Edited by Lordred, 30 March 2015 - 08:33 AM.

#3 CruiseMissileCowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 108 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:40 AM

Thanks! I'll give it a try, without all the quirks, just having heat problems all around.

#4 Lordred

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,474 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostCruiseMissileCowboy, on 30 March 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

Thanks! I'll give it a try, without all the quirks, just having heat problems all around.

I find quirks offensive (I only play IS mechs, so I dislike the quirk system we have) But if you always try to min/max with the quirks, you lose the flavor. Its like failing to see the forest through the trees.

Fire a little less often, but make the shots count. Do not Alpha, space out your shots. You have a Clan mech, use your range to your advantage. If you let an IS pilot like me get close, you have no one to blame but you.

Drop me a PM if you ever want to group up, I can show ya how the crazys work over in IS land. :)

#5 KalTorak18

• PipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 46 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:50 AM

I enjoyed this build quite a bit while leveling up my Timberwolf.

TBR-PRIME

#6 zudukai

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:19 AM

The TBR's are so adaptable, you can run basically every common build others mech can, swapping the omni-pods change your hardpoints, so my suggestion is to throw one or two of your favorite big weapons, and finish it with some medium lasers or SRMs.

#7 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:50 AM

When I do pull my Timber Wolves out of cold storage, I generally run around with one of three builds, all three can work on a prime due to Omni-pods:

TBR-PRYDE
TBR-Anvil
TBR-Hammer

Hammer takes the most trigger discipline as she will overheat fast, if you are sloppy.

That being said, heat issues are something that 99% of all Clan mechs suffer from, and are often over looked by some of the more.... vocal members of the comunity that want to see Clan mechs nerfed, even harder than they have been.

#8 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:01 AM

Best currently for solo que is 1 LPL 5 MPL+ max heatsinks for me.TBR-PRIME is the only clan mech i own currently and its versatile and decent setup.

#9 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:11 AM

View PostKalTorak18, on 30 March 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

TBR-PRIME

fixed your build a little.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...82d4e74ba3bb65d
minor issue with your build is, that if you run through 2 tons of gauss ammo and your left ST get's destroyed, you're left with 2 ML and a "hello pop me" Gauss without ammo in your remaining right ST.
You could put a ton more into the right ARM, but i'd rather leave it in the left ST for Crit prevention.

I run a similar build with the TBR-S just 2 DHS swaped for a TC 1 and the S jumpjet in the CT.

another build i frequently use
2 LPL, 4 ML, 2 JJ, TC1, 24 DHS
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...762b82fb8bb2bee

also quite often in use
6 MPL, 2 JJ, TC1, 26 DHS
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...19bc64eefeb8f8e

Edited by LOADED, 30 March 2015 - 10:23 AM.

#10 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:33 AM

I would either go with the TBR-PRYDE or stick with the stock Prime loadout. It's really got everything you'll ever need, so long as you know how to use it effectively.

#11 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:45 AM

View PostRepasy, on 30 March 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

I would either go with the TBR-PRYDE or stick with the stock Prime loadout. It's really got everything you'll ever need, so long as you know how to use it effectively.

Thank you for the voice of complement on the Pryde, I based it off of the one used by Aidan Pryde during his last battle.

#12 Repasy Cooper

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostMetus regem, on 30 March 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

Thank you for the voice of complement on the Pryde, I based it off of the one used by Aidan Pryde during his last battle.

Indeed, the Pryde I pilot frequently. I keep the custom variant as is, even with the ERML in the center torso. Having the JJ's on a TBR is seriously a good call, many maps have ideal maneuvering space for jumpers. I can only imagine how awesome this guy would be if PGI didn't nerf jump jets. ^_^

#13 pulupulu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:00 AM

New player? Fresh TBR?

2x Gauss is your best bet. No heat management. Stay with group, pew pew away. No thinking needed.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a803373fd178e14

#14 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:47 AM

View PostRepasy, on 30 March 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

Indeed, the Pryde I pilot frequently. I keep the custom variant as is, even with the ERML in the center torso. Having the JJ's on a TBR is seriously a good call, many maps have ideal maneuvering space for jumpers. I can only imagine how awesome this guy would be if PGI didn't nerf jump jets. ^_^

Honestly my preferred Timber Wolf is the Alt D (stock in TT), in all her unholy glory, here though I'd run it like this, if I ever get around to getting the D ST's.

TBR-PRIME

#15 AlmightyAeng

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,905 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:11 PM

If you want pure, unadulterated fun in the public queue, put on Streak20, 3 MG and 4 ERML and go light-hunting :)

#16 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 12:35 PM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1522d2bc30e8850
Probably one of the easiest viable Timberwolves to use. Good range profile, heat efficient, good alpha.

#17 Prince Peter Davion

• PipPip
  • Private
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPeriphery Throne World

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:36 PM

Can one fit pulse lasers instead of regular?

View PostKalTorak18, on 30 March 2015 - 08:50 AM, said:

TBR-PRIME

Edited by Prince Peter Davion, 30 March 2015 - 02:37 PM.

#18 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 03:02 PM

View PostCruiseMissileCowboy, on 30 March 2015 - 08:20 AM, said:

What's your best Timberwolf Prime Setup?

If I may put in here something other than a build recommendation, I would recommend that, if you are actually a new player, you either stay away from the TBR completely or play it sparsely as soon as you have other options. While the TBR has more advantages and more optional advantages than most other 'mechs, this can be just as much of a problem as a benefit, as it makes the machine a primary target, and its speed and capabilities lend themselves well to getting yourself in too deep when you're not ready or lack backup during a match. For the sake of lasting long enough after a mistake to learn from it, I would strongly recommend picking up a 'mech that's not known for being especially good -or- especially bad, and do much of your learning to play there instead.

#19 Dirk Le Daring

• 2,083 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:33 PM

This is my build, I like it as it is close to a stock build, and I do like running stock if I can.

http://i.imgur.com/aghjaH5.jpg

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users