Make Air/arty Strikes Is Only

11 replies to this topic

Poll: Make Air/Arty Strikes IS Only (13 member(s) have cast votes)

Make Air/Arty Strikes IS Only?

1. Yes (2 votes [15.38%])

Percentage of vote: 15.38%

2. Yes, via command module only (6 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

3. No (5 votes [38.46%])

Percentage of vote: 38.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

I've been watching how people use and respond to strikes. I think it's too powerful and it's deplorable when clans use them. (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Zellbrigen)

I say make strikes IS only via a command module!

Edited by Assmodeus, 30 March 2015 - 09:53 PM.

#2 War Dogz

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 66 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

Nah just like clans would never used space nukes on a planet due to honor. :huh:

#3 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 09:57 PM

View PostWar Dogz, on 30 March 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

Nah just like clans would never used space nukes on a planet due to honor. :huh:

Zellbrigen should be adherred to, we cannot control bad authors but we have an opportunity for enrichment here.

#4 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 12:09 AM

Considering that air strikes/ Artillery and the nature are somewhat condemed by the Clans are being barbaric (hence the shock and disgust they felt about Turtle Bay), I do not believe the Clans should be given the option to be able to use either air strikes or artillery or anything in that form, as that kind of warfare goes beyond their code of ethics and honour. Even such a thought to a Clan warrior, be they Trueborn or Freeborn would never even think such a thing even if they were cornered and nothing was left to them to win.

#5 War Dogz

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 66 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:05 AM

Hey I love the whole BT and Honor concepts but this is MWO and balance between both side is needed. Case in point Clan do use and build Aero fighters for Ground attack.

0845 Hours[edit]

The Smoke Jaguar's probes against the Combine lines had bogged down. In an attempt to break through the elite Trinary Alpha of the First Jaguar Guards struck the centre of the 1st Sword of Light's position, [18] however, the Kuritan line held for almost an hour against this assault. As reinforcements of the Otomo and the 2nd Legion of Vega arrived they began forcing the Clans back. This counter attack was in turn broken by the arrival of Clan reinforcements [19] including the 5th Jaguar Regulars and Nova Cat clusters, supported by air strikes. The Combine defenders started to collapse and retreat. [20]

Tactics[edit]

Delta Galaxy relies heavily on its officers operating in the field to make tactical decisions as opposed to other Ghost Bear Galaxies. Lacking in assault 'Mechs they prefer to soften the enemy up with air strikes before committing to an engagement

http://www.sarna.net..._(Clan_Invasion)

http://www.sarna.net...Clan_Ghost_Bear)

http://www.sarna.net...oSpace_Fighters

Edited by War Dogz, 31 March 2015 - 03:22 AM.

#6 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

View PostWar Dogz, on 31 March 2015 - 02:05 AM, said:

Yes, but those are Aerospace pilots, not Mechwarriors. :D A Khan/Commander shouldn't be restricted in how effective they can be defending the clan based on a code of ethics for warriors in the field.

Edited by Assmodeus, 31 March 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#7 Draykin

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 154 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:41 PM

If you want to take Arty and Air away from the Clans, you need to have something to fill in for them. It's not just a matter of lore, but also a matter of balance.

#8 Summon3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:10 PM

CW and pug ques are not zell.

Clans used arty and air support regularly, read jade pheonix trilogy and the planning for tukkayid if you want an example.

#9 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:51 PM

Look, I get it. Roleplaying is cool. I can respect it, I really can.
But this is a terrible idea. Arty is OP as it is and is almost neccesary in f*cking CW. Give IS the leg up on that and all hell will break loose. I'm not in the mood for having a major disadvantage just because some people would like to get all RP in here.

Not happening.

#10 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 01 April 2015 - 05:47 AM

I'm not that well versed in battletech and Clan lore, but if the lore says a clanner wouldn't use artillery and air stikes, then that's ok. But then give that clanner suicide bomb drones and granade / mine launch modules.. basically same thing, but more fluff..

I'm always all for more fluff..

Edited by Vellron2005, 01 April 2015 - 05:47 AM.

#11 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 09:54 AM

I'm not saying clans never used them, but are there examples where the warrior caste (the mech pilots) used them in the field at their own discretion?

I'm advocating balance by making strikes less common and more expensive to use. They are too powerful right now because of the reaction they create, not the damage, in both players who know they've been striked and players who don't. In the vast majority of cases, a strike causes the player to move, lose focus, waste some time and be removed from the fight briefly. This seems to be an instinctive reaction in people and that's bad news for a newb.

Strikes have virtually unlimited range and a practiced player can wreak havoc without exposing themselves to equivalent retribution. It takes no effort to launch a stike, there's no charge mechanic or complicated aiming. In a few seconds, a flying Jenner can hover over hills, drop a strike with impunity and evade. It looks silly and ugly to witness. Make that Jenner choose a small sacrifice in free tonnage for that sort of ability.

Strikes add ambience to a fight with pretty explosions, but if that's a serious draw then why not enhance animations for critical hits and ammo explosion instead. Crits were huge in previous games, causing the same stress that strikes can cause now.

Sorry, I don’t see the best players/teams using strikes extensively, so I don’t agree that making them more restrictive would have a major impact on us. It’s not going to be a major disadvantage for clans, FLPPD, focused fire and using cover is king.

What happens when PGI wants to introduce new weapons, like the binary laser or long tom, give them to the clans too? Or just never implement them so we can have the guise of balance? Sounds boring, and guess what, the precedent of asymmetrical balance has already been set. Making strikes more difficult to equip is just a clean up and a tightening of the reins on balance.

Do it PGI! Remove strikes from the game, refund some MC, give out some free digital stuff or whatever, and then reintroduce them as specialty weapons for the IS. Feel free to start introducing other new weapons to enrich our experience and weaken our wallets. You'll be doing yourself a favor by introducing this sort of flexibility now and it will make your jobs easier trying to introduce new weapons into the game.

Edited by Assmodeus, 02 April 2015 - 10:13 AM.

#12 Nemesis Duck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:03 AM

Two words: ROLE WARFARE. You want it? The post above this one introduces a way to create another role.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users