ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:00 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 31 March 2015 - 08:56 AM, said:

The Zeus suffers from the same over-sized CT hit-box, though not quite as bad. What works for the Zeus is never face more than one opponent at a time because no one ever misses the Zeus's CT. So step in front of 2-3 mechs, even with other teammate mechs alongside and the Zeus's CT armor is gone in just a few seconds sometimes. Get 1v1's by terrain or straggler mechs and the Zeus holds it's own. Same for the Awesome.

*SMH*

so much wrong with this comment, so much wrong.

Stop staring. End of story. Better yet, unplug the joystick.

#42 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:02 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 31 March 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

*SMH*

so much wrong with this comment, so much wrong.

Stop staring. End of story. Better yet, unplug the joystick.

Yeah I rarely lose a CT in the Awesome until after an arm and Side torso is gone (more often the ST goes first along with 1/2 the weapons :( ).

You can spin to win in the Awesome, but the bigger target it provides makes it easier to hit in general, especially the side torsos.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:09 AM

View PostBarantor, on 31 March 2015 - 09:02 AM, said:

Yeah I rarely lose a CT in the Awesome until after an arm and Side torso is gone (more often the ST goes first along with 1/2 the weapons :( ).

You can spin to win in the Awesome, but the bigger target it provides makes it easier to hit in general, especially the side torsos.

was referring to the Zeus, but yeah, AWS too.

#44 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:12 AM

my k/ds with the awesome range between 1.67-4.50 since the stat reset and haven't played them much since quirks, though I took the PB out and got a 2/0 with it ;)

#45 Blue Hymn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • 294 posts
  • LocationIn an Awesome, blasting you from a distance

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:20 AM

Rapid Fire

This is the Build I use on my 8Q. Chainfire those PPCs, and you can get an almost continuous barrage of fire down the lane without too much worries in heat. Great for suppression and making people think twice about poking their heads out in an area. Also, since the main firepower is catered towards one side, it helps with shooting from cover (peek-a-boo tactics), and the small pulses helps give you some methods to protect yourself if they try to rush you close.

But in general, pilots of the Awesome should usually/religiously:

- Torso twist.
- Know how to position to provide support fire for the team
- Know when to get the hell out of dodge during intense combat for relocation/repositioning
- Focus on targets that still have plenty of armor on them. Targets with cored areas can be left to allies to finish off; your job should be to reduce enemy armor to make your allies job easier.
- Provide suppression when the team is pushing, or withdrawing from an area
- Using your left arm/torso as the shield. Better for it to be blown off than your right side.
- Have strong situational awareness of the battlefield. Insights on where the enemy might be located can allow you to position yourself to greet them from a safe location - while suppressing their advance or push.
- Know how to use cover effectively

So on and so forth.

#46 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:21 AM

View PostGrisbane, on 31 March 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

would love to see these mechs in game

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

I can agree with those three for sure. Though the Kodiak is going to have balance issues coming out of it's wazoo...

and last but not least (and most wanted)

Posted Image

I just don't understand this one, there is nothing really stand out about this mech, it's just so average for a 50t mech.... What I mean is the Centurion can do just about everything this one does, not counting hover jets..... with more stock armour too....

#47 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:27 AM

PGI needs to do the same thing MWLL was doing, IMHO: create a framework in CESDK, and use it to measure the mechs. Give all mechs an appropriate armor strength buff based purely on the size of their hitboxes as measured in that framework, that is added to the strength of the armor added by the player in the mechlab.

Without this, the Uziel never would have been viable in MWLL, due to its size. The Awesome, too, could benefit from this.

#48 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:33 AM

View PostJuodas Varnas, on 31 March 2015 - 08:26 AM, said:

Correction: *barely* faster.
Besides, it's MWO, you can easily swap an engine for a bigger one

And that used to be a thing for the Awesome(s) as well. Then... there was only 2 (PB (MC only) and the 9M variant) that have decent enough XL engine sizes for such a Large unit. Sadly PB has limited Energy points to maximize the long game. :(

#49 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 31 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostGrisbane, on 31 March 2015 - 09:36 AM, said:

Uziel is nostalgia.. It was always one of my favorite mechs... and I'm an assault pilot. that being said it was versatile, could do a bit of everything. the Centurion is good if you like lopsided builds, but i tend towards symmetrical builds. and JJ's are a definite plus.. besides, the thing was pretty quick.

I tend to prefer symmetrical builds too, but MW4 just didn't click well with me, so the Uziel never found a place in my heart... I'm kind of old school that way, things like the Warhammer WHM-6R or Awesome AWS-8Q, they have a solid place in my heart, that comes from years of TT with solid and consistent performance in TT.

#50 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:36 AM

If you torso twist the Awesome, it's not so much of a barn door either.

Plus you have that shield arm on most variants so USE IT ffs

I know so many people play this game and just stare directly at their opponent then wonder why they get CT'd so fast

#51 dubplate

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:51 AM

I don't pilot assaults often (mostly because I'm not very good so don't want to waste an assault slot on my team), so am curious how effective is using an assault as fire support and not as a damage soaker? Since the game tries to make matches 3x4, is it worthwhile taking an assault mech to use as support rather than something that can take the heat off the smaller mechs?

#52 Novawrecker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 905 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 10:53 AM

View Postskorpionet, on 31 March 2015 - 07:42 AM, said:

.... why this [BAD WORD REDACTED]?

****-coding on the mech's hitbox registry in addition to being an easy target 20 cliks away.

P.S. You friggin censor C a c a, but not frag? The hell is wrong with you, Forum Mods?!

Edited by Mike Forst, 31 March 2015 - 01:40 PM.

#53 Dirkdaring

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 685 posts
  • LocationTwycross

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:16 PM

You should try a Dire Wolf. A locust sprays you running by with lasers and you lose 8%. You can fire at a moving Cicada for 20 seconds and do about the same damage as you would to kill 2 heavy mechs.

Welcome to Jurassic P... err MWO!

#54 Christof Romulus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 898 posts
  • LocationAS7-D(F), GRF-1N(P)

Posted 31 March 2015 - 01:44 PM

Hi,

I get an AWESOME but is really too fragile, note that I use a STD engine, every other mechs can kill you in 2-3 seconds.... why this [BAD WORD REDACTED]?

Best Regards

Greetings,

Some of the issue, possibly, is your armor values. The Awesome, for whatever reason, has a default armor value on its rear CT of 38. Try stripping your rear armor to increase the durability of your front armor based on your situational awareness. If you OFTEN find yourself eating shots in the back, then cut only 10 or so points off of the back to front (all torsos). If you SOMEWHAT find yourself with enemies clever enough to get behind you, then cut 20 from the rear CT and 10 from the sides. If you RARELY find yourself with anyone good enough to out maneuver you, leave only 5 points of armor on all rear hit locations. If you have never died to being cored from behind, leave only 1 point on your rear.

Combined with the inner structure quirk for 20 more structure to the CT, that would mean someone would have to burn through 170 points of damage to destroy an Awesome with a standard engine, which is what you say you bring. The Atlas has 186 points of CT health (armor + structure) just to keep things in perspective.

Beyond that, stay mobile and don't face-tank. Often torso twist, and use your legs too to turn faster to protect your CT. Do all of these things and I'm sure it's more durable than you think.

Edited by Christof Romulus, 01 April 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#55 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

The Awsome is a product of bad boardgame design. They have a mech that has a huge surface area facing the enemy. It is hard not to hit the thing. If its random rolling of dice they can be any shape in the world. But when aiming skill comes into it then real world problems come along with it.

Posted Image

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 31 March 2015 - 02:20 PM.

#56 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:22 PM

Hi,

I get an AWESOME but is really too fragile, note that I use a STD engine, every other mechs can kill you in 2-3 seconds.... why this [BAD WORD REDACTED]?

Best Regards

'Tis OK, I understand your pain OP.

I have thousands of drops in my Awesomes. I've played them since closed beta. They're my favourite mech.

Your only chance at success is to acknowledge that your mech has serious problems. Once you understand it's numerous limitations, you'll have a much better time of it.

Posted Image
  • You're huge. Enormous. Orca fat. Look at that pic above. You have around 5% MORE torso surface area than a DireWolf. If you're exposed to the enemy, you are absolutely going to take damage. Probably to your CT.
    • To mitigate this, don't peek if you will be the only mech taking return fire.
    • Limit the time you will be taking return fire. Unload as much as you can, and get back to cover. DPS and chain fire isn't your bag, baby.
  • Your weapon placement is absolutely terrible.
    • While your weapons aren't as far from the cockpit as some others, you have ludicrously stumpy dwarf legs when you compare your profile to every other assault mech.
    • This means that you have to expose every single pixel of your vulnerable torsos to fire over ridges.
    • I find more success when firing from around the sides of cover, instead of over it.
    • Beware when firing at enemies at different elevations. Even smalll protrusions can block your shots. If you're on the HPG, you have to position yourself so your toes are almost to the edge of ledges before you can hit targets anywhere below you.
  • Your hitboxes are terrible.
    • Your CT is enormous, very rectangular, and very easy to hit. But so are your torsos!
      • If you have an XL (like many 9M's do) a semi competent player can easily favour taking out your torsos instead of your giant paunch.
    • Your CT also protrudes significantly when viewed from the side.
      • The Awesome ain't a Banshee. You can't tank. Your arm plates look good, but are mostly useless at blocking damage.
    • To mitigate this, practice extremely energetic torso twisting after firing. Act like you're a large movie monster in a climactic fight scene with a protagonist on your back. Taking damage anywhere but your CT is your goal.
    • I also tend to stack my weaponry on one side, and try to use my left as an ineffectual shield.
  • You will likely be a priority target.
    • Not because you're super dangerous. Because you're essentially a free kill to a decent pilot.
  • Your range is terrible.
    • The range advantage and low projectile speed of vanilla PPC's makes them a medium range weapon at best. Most Clan weapons, even their medium lasers, will be more effective at applying damage at range.
    • In fact, in a world where every weapon is your Kryptonite, Clan laser are double strength extra deadly Kryptonite. Their longer burn times spread less damage when hitboxes are as big as yours.
    • To mitigate this, ATTACK FROM SHORTER RANGES. Really. Not close enough to get mauled by SRM's (because they are your Kryptonite) but close enough to put reliable fire into your enemies. You're going to get hit anyway. Might as well mitigate some of your shortcomings.
      • There's a balancing act here. You need to be close enough to hit, but not close enough that the enemy feels confident in rushing you. That 90m dead zone is your literal dead zone.
There's more, but i'm not going to list the minor stuff.

Finally, your advantages:
  • Your quirks are OK. You can get of quite a few alphas with 3 PPC's before you need to cool.
    • I like to fire 2 alphas, then get out of dodge. 60 pinpoint damage is nothing to sneeze at. Just make sure you take the time to actually aim. Arm lock can help you dump your damage into the same spot.
    • If someone ignores you, your damage can actually be respectable, but not nerely as much as Clan laser vomit, or dual gauss MetaWhales.
    • PINPOINT is your biggest advantage. AIM!
    • You can also chain fire for quite a while, but you'll be opening yourself to lots of return fire.
The Awesome isn't between a rock and a hard place, it is the rock and the hard place. Quirks have helped it at lease maintain some semblance of viability, but it's design is just plain poor.

I think the Awesome needs PPC velocity perks. Big ones. 75% speed increase. In a chassis that has so many quality of life limitations, it at the very least needs it's weapons to be workable.

#57 jlawsl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

I play the Awsome, a lot, way too much. Its my most played mech, period. I do notice that it has some issues with hit boxes, but I don't have the problems with it that I do with an atlas or even a crab. Its probably because all of the mechs have weapon hardpoints in 4 parts of the mech, two with 5 possible mount locations and one with all of the upper torso having a weapon point in it.

My point is, its easy to hit certain hit boxes on an Awsome, their armor is ok, you can front load it most of the time because of the roll it usually plays-energy and missile vomit. But, you will never have a fully disarmed Awsome. You won't get the best weapon convergence, but you won't loose a huge amount of firepower if one side is blown off. Take an AWS-8T, 1 missile in each torso, two energy in each arm and one in the head. Load up SRM-6 with artemis and 5 medium pulse lasers, and you retain equal firepower no matter what torso goes first.

The second thing about an AWS, there are some pretty crazy things you can do with an awsome and its quirks-The 8T has the quirks of a light mech, in an assault mech's chassis. 30% cooldown on all energy? That's 42% with any module, for any energy weapon of your choice. Throw in 15% heat and 15% beam duration, and 15% missile cooldown and 15% missile heat. I think its pretty good for the amount of damage you can throw out in a shorter period of time then most mechs.

I hear a lot about stalkers with lasers in CW, when the firing rate of most awsomes, even with their low hardpoints and general quirks are better then that of a stalker. Its not a bad mech, you just can't cookie cutter design it. It is really a mech that YOU have to build to fit your style of play. And that's what I think the problem is, people don't know how to build a proper build or play it correctly.

For example, you may think a AWS-PB with just 2 LPLs and an SRM6 is bad, but the quirks bring the cooldown of the LPL to about the level of a 10% cooldown quirked ac10(2.32 sec), its duration is shortened to lower then the duration of a small pulse laser(SPL .5 sec, PB quirked LPL .46 sec), with a range buff that brings it in line with an ac10 at a lower heat then a normal LPL. So, if you think about it, you are running a very low heat(you won't overheat), fast mech running an srm6 and 2 instant gratification ac10s with infinite ammo.

Just gotta know how to play that, run fast, shoot quick but don't over extend. With that rate of fire and the additional 15% missile cooldown buff, you can go one on one with all mechs its weight or below, and act as a striker to any mechs larger because they can't keep up.

#58 Col Jaime Wolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:34 PM

awesome is not awesome sry op.

#59 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

Role warfare, support mech, fire and manouver, micro terrain, yadda yadda yadda.

#60 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 03:36 PM

I drive an AWS PB
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...218972bebdb30cc

Used every slot

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users