Computer Restarts At Launch

Help Me

17 replies to this topic

#1 ColdBore

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationNevada, United States

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:25 AM

I downloaded MWO a couple of days ago. I launched the installer, installed and ran the game. Upon launching the game (from the launcher) the game window appears and just as it is about to display the first logo (the blue one), my computer restarts itself. No blue screen, nothing. it simply shuts down instantly and restarts itself (I do not have to push the power button to turn it back on). I have tried running it in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions as well as running it in admin mode in both versions. All other games I play run perfectly fine, Total War: Rome 2, War Thunder, Star Citizen, Flight Simulator X, etc.

I have run the "Valley" benchmark program on High settings and it ran fine and averaged about 35fps with no restarts. My system specs are as follows:

CPU: Intel i-7 4790k overclocked to 4.8 Ghz using the ASUS 5-way optimization feature

CPU cooler: H100i Liquid cooler

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB @ 1333mhz

GPU: EVGA 550TI 2GB version

PSU: Ultra X3 1000W

Case: Rosewill Viper Z

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Edited by ColdBore, 01 April 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#2 B0oN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

Try giving your CPU just one (!) increment (=smallest amount possible) more voltage in BIOS/UEFI, maybe there´s the culprit to be found ?

#3 ColdBore

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:19 PM

Thank you for your reply Rad Honzo. Hmm, if that were the problem, wouldn't it effect my other games as well though? Especially the more graphically intensive ones?

Edited by ColdBore, 01 April 2015 - 12:21 PM.

#4 Remarius

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 820 posts
  • LocationBrighton, England

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:26 PM

Well I've never had a reboot like that and my machine is also heaving overclocked to 4.8 but using an old 2600K.

#5 ColdBore

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

It just seems really strange to me that I cant get the computer to restart like that unless I start MWO. Even when I benchmark (which should push the CPU further than MWO ever would) I couldn't replicate the same result. It only ever happens when I launch MWO.

Edited by ColdBore, 01 April 2015 - 12:30 PM.

#6 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

Computer restarts when you have hardware issue. Often it is RAM defects less often overclocking CPU or GPU. Try first to reset your BIOS to balanced mode or to default.

#7 ColdBore

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:41 PM

Thank you for the response Vlad. Wouldn't a hardware issue effect all of my games though? not just MWO? I can't imagine MWO pushing any of my hardware harder than say Total War Rome 2: or Star Citizen, and definitely not as hard as the benhmarking software, especially when im not even in-game. It's restarting the computer before the first logo even appears so it's not taxing the system. All other games and programs run perfectly fine with no issues at all. That's what is confusing me so badly with this issue.

Edited by ColdBore, 01 April 2015 - 12:47 PM.

#8 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 01 April 2015 - 12:54 PM

Have you just tried re seating the RAM?

I had about half my problems resolve themselves by cleaning and re seating my RAM. didn't even replace it....

#9 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostColdBore, on 01 April 2015 - 12:41 PM, said:

... I can't imagine MWO pushing any of my hardware harder ...

I have to disagree with that. MWO is a pretty resource-heavy game. My computer starts whizzing dramatically more when I first start up the game, and further as I go deeper into it (which may be why it is living such a short lifespan).
Point is, do not rule anything out just yet. Although improbable, it is not impossible!

#10 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:07 PM

Not every proggie/engine is the same and CryEngine is pretty CPU heavy, so that OC-thingie you´ve used might have set the voltages a touch narrow so to say .
You could try fiddling with the UEFI settings manually from what that OC-thingie set so far, using that as a base and streamlining your OC even further .

Other than that : if benchmarking, run CPU and GPU benchmarks simultaneously, for at least half an hour .

Really try re-seating RAM and, most important, check MWO logs and take a look if that says something .

*fingers crossed*

#11 ColdBore

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

I''l give all of those a shot Rad. Thank you everyone for the advice! I''l report back in tomorrow (as I only have this one post left in my alloted post amount) and let you know if any of it worked.

#12 Kekkone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 1
  • 144 posts

Posted 01 April 2015 - 02:42 PM

I had similar "cold" boots when my old PSU was failing. It wasn't limited to a single application though, more on cpu stress. All the voltage readings in both bios and software monitors reported nominal values, it was pretty much a shot in the dark to replace the thing.

#13 Prince Peter Davion

• PipPip
  • Private
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPeriphery Throne World

Posted 01 April 2015 - 10:30 PM

Because you just installed MWO, do a double check. Uninstall it, run your other games, make sure they still work.
If they do, assume that the software installation is not a good fit for your current video driver, try a new driver, or backup to a previous version.
Most would say that a hard reset of your computer is hardware related, but if it is only happening with MWO and nothing else, it's got to be the MWO software, or your GPU driver that is not working with MWO.
Since you can't fiight the MWO software, you have to focus on your video card.
Your video card is very old, ie not something you could even buy today, the lowest nVidia is the 650 series on newegg.com for example.
If there is no resolution with your driver, all your other games still work fine, I'd say it's time for a new video card, you're going to need it to run MWO well anyway.
Signup for newegg.com, they have sales every week. My last video card was a GTX760 for under $200 on sale. That is more than enough.
Good Luck!

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,659 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 April 2015 - 11:50 PM

Your computer restarting might be due to a hardware driver crashing. I've not had that with MWO, but I've had a computer restart due to a driver crashing. Make sure you have all your drivers up to date. Beyond that, I'd definitely fire an email to support.

Also, try the game without your CPU overclocked. Maybe there's a problem there. MWO is very CPU intensive and overclocking might make your CPU unstable and perhaps in your unique system, it's creating a problem.

#15 ColdBore

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 01:59 PM

Thank you for all of this insight guys! Yesterday when I went home, I went into the BIOS and switched the CPU setting from "Standard" to "Performance" and that seems to have solved the issue. My only guess is that when I used the 5-Way Optimization feature to OC the CPU, it didn't set the voltages high enough. This is purely a guess. I honestly have no idea what changing that setting did other than to get MWO to work. Thanks again everyone for all of your help!

I'd really enjoy getting in-game with you guys so if anyone feels like playing with a total noob, send me a friend request!

Hope to see you guys in-game soon, and thank you all again.

-ColdBore

Edited by ColdBore, 02 April 2015 - 02:02 PM.

#16 Insects

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 995 posts
  • Locationstraya

Posted 03 April 2015 - 04:34 AM

First step with any OC system is to go back to stock and see if the problem persists.
Very easy for the OC to introduce some instability. If Intel could market their chips as 0.1 GHz higher then they would, but not every chip will be stable its all a bit of a lottery and risk of encountering issues in certain situations.

#17 Prince Peter Davion

• PipPip
  • Private
  • 30 posts
  • LocationPeriphery Throne World

Posted 03 April 2015 - 07:01 AM

Very glad you got it fixed. Just a word of advice from long time computer users, over clocking is not worth your money. OC-ing will burn up your CPU faster than if you ran it at the prescribed settings, and can create issues with other components as you have witnessed. New CPUs are expensive, make yours last as long as possible. No overclocking!

Edited by Prince Peter Davion, 03 April 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#18 Vlad Striker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 03 April 2015 - 10:26 AM

OC-ing has risk to show up CPU's hidden defects so be careful.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users