11 replies to this topic

#1 VitiateDiabolus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 117 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:22 PM

I was a founder who, not having a computer capable of running the game sufficiently well to make it worth playing, has recently decided to re-install and give MWO a shot with my new rig. It seems, in addition to the four founder 'mechs I started with I also have three additional promo 'mechs to play with but I am finding the base builds for them clumsy and sub-optimal.

I was wondering if anyone could give me recommendations for kitting out some or all of my 'mechs either by directing me to guides or just indicating good loadouts (keeping in mind I have few c-bills so won't be able to upgrade them all to meta status right away).

I own:

Jenner JR7-D
Hunchback HBK-4G
Catapult CPLT-C1
Atlas AS7-D
Atlas AS7-S
Centurion CN9-AH
King Crab KGC-000

Any recommendations for any of these 'mechs would be appreciated, even if it's just linking a favoured build guide in another thread or whatever. The sheer amount of information floating around is staggering but a lot of it seems grossly out of date so I appeal to anyone in the community willing to give me a hand!

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:45 PM

Well, given that you don't have pilot skills, I'd go a little different with the builds until you can get a set of three and the relevant skills for doubled basics.

Go with cooler builds more capable at long range, as you'll have less heat dissipation and slower twist and turn rates than similar mechs.

So, for the king crab, I'd recommend dual gauss + 2 ERLL, and a big standard engine.

#3 RazorbeastFXK3

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  • LocationSyracuse, NY

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:05 PM

I usually base my configs on what www.sarna.net tells me the original loadout is for the 'mechs I get my hands on.

If I favor a weapon over what the original loadout has then I'll adjust by swapping out the original for the favored. Personally, I'd load up your 'mechs with whichever weapon you're most comfortable with using in the field 'cause if you're not able to use them effectively then it most likely won't be much fun.

If you really love LRMs I'd go to this site http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab to make sure you have the correct available tubes for your builds, that way you're not trying to launch a LRM20 out a hardpoint that only has 5 open launchers. Then again.. there might be a strategic attribute to that but I haven't taken notice.

#4 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

Whatever you play, try to get the 'mech(s) to master level. It's a difference like day and night to play a basic or a master level 'mech.

As for builds
http://metamechs.com
https://www.mechspecs.com

#5 VitiateDiabolus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:19 PM

So am I understanding correctly that you need to buy multiple variants of each 'mech to get their skills past basic? That seems like an enormous investment... do people usually just sell each 'mech after they play it the requisite amount?

#6 Flu-Epidemic

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 63 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 05 April 2015 - 09:50 PM

View PostVitiateDiabolus, on 05 April 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

So am I understanding correctly that you need to buy multiple variants of each 'mech to get their skills past basic? That seems like an enormous investment... do people usually just sell each 'mech after they play it the requisite amount?

Yup, 3 different variants to unlock the elite tier bonuses. Once you have basic out all 3 variants, you'll get a 2X bonus for the Basic tier bonuses.

#7 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:23 PM

View PostFlu-Epidemic, on 05 April 2015 - 09:50 PM, said:

Yup, 3 different variants to unlock the elite tier bonuses. Once you have basic out all 3 variants, you'll get a 2X bonus for the Basic tier bonuses.

Almost,
once 3 different variants of a chassi have basic unlocked you can unlock elite (which will give you double basics)
unlocking all elite skills for a variant also the ability to unlock the master skill (a combined mech/weapon module slot)
You do not need to unlock elite skills over 3 different variants to unlock master, that's only to unlock elite.

Edited by LOADED, 05 April 2015 - 11:26 PM.

#8 VitiateDiabolus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:31 AM

I see, I see.

Well in that case are any of the founder/loyalty mechs good enough to be worth investing in?

#9 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

View PostVitiateDiabolus, on 06 April 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

I see, I see.

Well in that case are any of the founder/loyalty mechs good enough to be worth investing in?

The Hunchback is very worth playing and mastering. It received very good quirks and it's cheap to buy and outfit three variants (no XL engines).

I still love my Jenners, but they are outclassed by the Firestarter now.

Honestly speaking, none of the chassis you have are top tier mechs. But that doesn't mean they are bottom tier either and I still see people doing very well in them.

Basically they are all viable, you just have to find which ones match your playstyle best.

#10 VitiateDiabolus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:35 PM

From what I have been reading there seems to be a consensus that the top tier 'mechs in most categories are clan 'mechs (Timberwolf/Mad Cat, Daishi/Dire Wolf etc) with the notable exception of the Firestarter... I haven't been doing too terribly but I'm a ways off from being able to afford a lot of clan 'mechs without using MC so I'm content to play with what I have for now. It will be easy to get one more Atlas variant to get the elite skills for that and the King Crab seems to be good as well as evidently the Hunchback.

Too bad I don't see a lot of love for the Catapult that's probably one of my favourite 'mechs.

#11 Shadey99

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 02:07 PM

View PostVitiateDiabolus, on 06 April 2015 - 12:35 PM, said:

Too bad I don't see a lot of love for the Catapult that's probably one of my favourite 'mechs.

The catapult is fine, and I still see them quite often. However, they require a lot of support as they are missile focused and clans do missiles better (A Stormcrow can boat more missiles than a Catapult for instance).

If you are planning to buy a single Atlas make it a D-DC (the ECM variant) as most assault lances love some ECM cover.

Hunchies are another good choice for strong ballistics support. With alternatives to boat lasers or missiles (in small numbers).

Centurions make good zombies, though not terribly heavy offensive power.

I still have Jenners (Mastered them ages ago now) and I think they can still hold their own even though people favor the Firestarter. They do 6xML very well and even SRM+ML builds can be used pretty well.

#12 VitiateDiabolus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 April 2015 - 04:52 PM

View PostShadey99, on 14 April 2015 - 02:07 PM, said:

The catapult is fine, and I still see them quite often. However, they require a lot of support as they are missile focused and clans do missiles better (A Stormcrow can boat more missiles than a Catapult for instance).

If you are planning to buy a single Atlas make it a D-DC (the ECM variant) as most assault lances love some ECM cover.

Hunchies are another good choice for strong ballistics support. With alternatives to boat lasers or missiles (in small numbers).

Centurions make good zombies, though not terribly heavy offensive power.

I still have Jenners (Mastered them ages ago now) and I think they can still hold their own even though people favor the Firestarter. They do 6xML very well and even SRM+ML builds can be used pretty well.

I've been doing almost exactly what you just suggested and I think my personal favourite has probably been the Hunchback with a very stock-ish build (bigger engine though). Currently having properly outfitted all my champ chassis I'm looking to pick up that D-DC Atlas so I can master 'em, then I'll probably start buying Firestarters or maybe one of those OP Clan mechs the queues are swimming in.

Now I just need a hero mech sale so I can blow all my founders MC.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users