- - - - -

Sorry For Such Anoobie Question...

7 replies to this topic

#1 Timicon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 11:46 PM

I was just wondering, while playing a few matches, that almost everyone just sets their configurations on 1, but how is it that they are able to cycle through the weapons just to fire that one particular laser (an er large for example against 4 medium lasers)? Has it got to do with that unbound thing? Sorry, I have no idea, since still being roughly two weeks old at the game.

Also, what button on the keyboard is 'unbound' anyway? Is it the F4 key, which lets you release a drone out the back of your 'Mech to allow you to see in 3rd pointer view or what is it, if something different?

Also, I know that when you buy artillery, air strikes, UAVs etc etera and equip them on your 'Mech, how is it that you use them? Is there a button on the keyboard that you custon to each two slots of equipment or do you need a joystick or something?

Sorry, getting better at the game, just still need to try and learn everything possible.

#2 FlukeNL

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:01 AM

Lol, finally I can do something in return for all the advice I've gotten.

View PostLeif Tanner, on 08 April 2015 - 11:46 PM, said:

I was just wondering, while playing a few matches, that almost everyone just sets their configurations on 1, but how is it that they are able to cycle through the weapons just to fire that one particular laser (an er large for example against 4 medium lasers)? Has it got to do with that unbound thing? Sorry, I have no idea, since still being roughly two weeks old at the game.

You can group weapons. For example: all the lasers on your left arm to group 1, all the lasers on your right arm to group 2, all the missiles on your torso to group 3. Do this (preferably in the testing grounds to see what it does) by using the arrow keys to select the weapon and using the right Ctrl key to toggle to which group that particular weapon belongs. The selected group for that weapon will be highlighted on the bottom right screen. Grouping left, torso and right seperately is quite handy: when I'm peeking around a corner, there's no need to use weapons that just fire at that building or rock I'm hiding behind. I only want to use those that are "peeking".

Also, what button on the keyboard is 'unbound' anyway? Is it the F4 key, which lets you release a drone out the back of your 'Mech to allow you to see in 3rd pointer view or what is it, if something different?

This one I don't know. I'll try the search function. Doesn't "unbound" just mean you have not yet bound a key to that function yet?

Also, I know that when you buy artillery, air strikes, UAVs etc etera and equip them on your 'Mech, how is it that you use them? Is there a button on the keyboard that you custon to each two slots of equipment or do you need a joystick or something?

keyboard buttons indeed, I believe it's Home and End, but simply check your keybindings in your config to make sure. No joystick needed here.

Sorry, getting better at the game, just still need to try and learn everything possible.

Same goes for me, and rest assured, it will never end :D

Edited by FlukeNL, 09 April 2015 - 12:05 AM.

#3 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:04 AM

I'd like to add that when you're spectating another player, the weapon groups you see aren't representative of how they actually have things bound.

#4 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:05 AM

When you spectate someone, you do not see their actual weapon groups. They are hidden for some reason. You can set them any way you like in the mechlab, or during a match (arrow keys + Control).

Also, what button on the keyboard is 'unbound' anyway?

"Unbound" means that function is not bound in your settings. It is recommended to at least look through them, and remap the most useful ones somewhere close to WASD, or on you mouse.

Each consumable has its own button which you can remap. The UAV goes up exactly where you stand when launching. Air and artillery strikes go where you point your arm cursor (at any range).

This is the default key layout in MWO:

Posted Image

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 12:51 AM

Haven't seen ya for a bit.

I was just wondering, while playing a few matches, that almost everyone just sets their configurations on 1, but how is it that they are able to cycle through the weapons just to fire that one particular laser (an er large for example against 4 medium lasers)?

Due to how MWO is currently coded, using the spectator camera on other players you are not actually able to see their weapon groupings. The game shows their weapons, yes, but not their groups. It is showing you your groups.

Whatever weapons they have that are similar to yours might end up in groups 2 through 6; in the same groups you had them -- because the game is showing you your groups. Not the other players, just yours. Any weapon that the player has but you did not have on your mech will show as "group 1" when spectating an ally player's mech.

Also, you can use backspace to chain fire, as demonstrated here. If it does not time skip, please jump to 4:20. (Vid is complete with inserted computer voice audio and incorrectly calls out "Linked Fire" instead of chain fire due to my blunder in editing). I encourage ya to watch it up til after I beat that Jenner as you'll see a heck of a 2 versus 1 ambush against me.
----------
Your other questions have been adequately covered by the other players.

Edited by Koniving, 09 April 2015 - 12:56 AM.

#6 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:47 AM

To check your key bindings from Mechlab, go to the lower right corner, where it says settings. Clicking KEYBOARD will bring up the scrollable list of your key bindings.

If you have a UAV or other consumables, make sure to check auto refill in the mechlab next to those module slots. (Note that you'll have to do this for each mech.)

#7 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 09 April 2015 - 05:29 AM

View Postmailin, on 09 April 2015 - 04:47 AM, said:

If you have a UAV or other consumables, make sure to check auto refill in the mechlab next to those module slots. (Note that you'll have to do this for each mech.)

Only do this if you really do not need those C-bills for anything else. Using consumables can be a huge drain on your income, not something you'd want as a beginning player.

#8 Sandersson Jankins

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 352 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:29 AM

View PostSnagaDance, on 09 April 2015 - 05:29 AM, said:

Only do this if you really do not need those C-bills for anything else. Using consumables can be a huge drain on your income, not something you'd want as a beginning player.

Not so fast!

There's a way you can do both things suggested: use "auto-refill" on your consumables, but ONLY use them if there is dire need. Do not use them every match as a new player- you'll not enjoy that. Make it for once every five games, shoot. Whenever you feel you REALLY need them. That way, you're able to train a bit with consumables but still retain most of your space-bucks.

If you're into firearms, think trigger discipline!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users