Guide

112 replies to this topic

#21 YCSLiesmith

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:57 AM

View PostTractor Joe, on 09 April 2015 - 09:53 AM, said:

I don't, its ironic is all.
Now I did actually make an attempt to write a post on the topic with a lot of middle ground to discuss. Care to join me in that discussion or ...

lmao like rain on your wedding day

#22 Tiamat of the Sea

• Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 1,326 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:58 AM

Semicolon.

#23 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

Yea LRM and Atlas is quite suboptimal, use an other LRM Mech.

Using Atlas for ASSAULT MECH ARMOR TO ABSORB DAMAGE is .,....
No its not even stupid anymore its simply sabotaging other players.

Assault Mechs aren't meatshields.
They are pure raw firepower.
In an Assault mech you are the finishing move that can round up the remains of an already beaten enemy to prevent further own losses.
Assaults are the ones to turn the tide.
And it requires situational awareness, patience and very very good timing.

Since there are no tanks in this game cause there are no healers, the reality is you can't take more dmg in an Assault Mech than any medium.
You are to larg, to slow and to cumbersome for an experienced adversary to prevent beeing taken out by pinpint concentrated fire.

#24 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

you're entirely wrong. damage is a resource you manage, like heat. an atlas has more damage to spend than other mechs. it's entirely possible to take massive amounts of damage and continue to thrive and deal solid damage by skilled positioning and torso twisting.

if you are hiding in your atlas and not joining the firing line then it's as if you shot a guy on your own team. the intimidation factor and raw armor of an atlas means that other guys in your group are not getting focused down, any you can last longer under focused fire. the end result is more damage put out by your team than if you werent on the line. this is basic thuganomics.

Edited by YCSLiesmith, 09 April 2015 - 10:06 AM.

#25 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:05 AM

This thread is derailed a bit and not helpful to new players anymore.

#26 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:06 AM

View PostRichter Kerensky, on 09 April 2015 - 09:51 AM, said:

I'm sorry but your repeated insistence that everything we're saying is "only your opinion!!!!" is something five year olds say constantly once they've learned what the word "opinion" means because they haven't yet learned how to measure evidence and testimony and most of their thoughts are about how girls are icky and how Mortal Kombat is extremely rad did you see Scorpion just tear his face off and it was a skull and he spit a fireball

Five year olds are at least right about Mortal Kombat, but they're wrong about girls and you're wrong about LRMs.

Testimony is nothing but an opinion of an event. 5 people see the exact same thing you will get 5 individual testimonies and in 2 threads now I have seen you offer 0 proof of anything.
The rest of your comment is just Ad Hominem troll nonsense meant to illicit an emotionally charged defense.

GTFO there did that give you what you needed.

Do you actually have anything to add to this discussion besides "LURMS SUCK"?

#27 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 09 April 2015 - 10:05 AM, said:

This thread is derailed a bit and not helpful to new players anymore.

this is a useful post that contributes to discussion.

#28 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

You also have literally 50 more points of armor in your center torso than a medium would and there are much better uses of an assault's generous weapon slots and heat capacity than slapping a bunch of lrms on it but mental gymnastics are cool

#29 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

LRMs. Dont do it, not even once. They aren't worth it. There is literally no reason to, there is literally no reason to use that tonnage up on LRMs when you could be using it on LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE.

#30 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:08 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 09 April 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

LRMs. Dont do it, not even once. They aren't worth it. There is literally no reason to, there is literally no reason to use that tonnage up on LRMs when you could be using it on LITERALLY ANYTHING ELSE.

I would say that you could use LRMs over massed flamers

#31 Harvey Batchall Kerensky at Law

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 322 posts

View PostRazorbeastFXK3, on 09 April 2015 - 09:03 AM, said:

LRMs on an Atlas isn't a mistake.. They are effective when used properly and the Atlas has plenty of short/medium range weapons to switch to when the situation calls for it. Players have the freedom of putting whatever weapon configs they want on any 'mech they have access to.

If it's a mistake to put LRMs on an Atlas.. then why does the AS7-D come with an LRM20?
http://www.sarna.net...28BattleMech%29

Sure it only has a x10 launcher and a x6 launcher but it's still effective all the same. I apologize that it makes you upset to the point it ruins your gaming experience but.. again.. nobody's forcing you to bring out a LRM Atlas so why do you feel the need to demand nobody put LRMs on one themselves?

Let the other players experience what works for them and what doesn't work for them and you just focus on what makes you more effective in the field. Eventually they'll figure out what works better with their style of fighting (hopefully sooner than later) and I'm sure they'll scan through the forums for optimal builds for them to try out.

Outside of that.. I don't see how the original post in this topic helps new players.

Did this guy just use tabletop stock variants as justification as why LRMs are good on an Atlas? What a world we live in

#32 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

View PostTractor Joe, on 09 April 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

Testimony is nothing but an opinion of an event. 5 people see the exact same thing you will get 5 individual testimonies and in 2 threads now I have seen you offer 0 proof of anything.
The rest of your comment is just Ad Hominem troll nonsense meant to illicit an emotionally charged defense.

GTFO there did that give you what you needed.

Do you actually have anything to add to this discussion besides "LURMS SUCK"?

we're not giving testimony about our experiences, we're laying out the reasons why, based on a theoretical grasp of the mechanics of this game confirmed through experimentation, this game do be like it is. you're the one who keeps talking about how you've done great with LRMs and then getting personal with your attacks.

#33 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:09 AM

View Postpattonesque, on 09 April 2015 - 10:08 AM, said:

I would say that you could use LRMs over massed flamers

Massed flamers are at least funny.

#34 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:12 AM

as for armor, Liesmith has it correct. Each robot can take a certain amount of damage before being destroyed. Assaults can take more damage than other robots. Certain assaults can mitigate their damage taken by twisting (like the Atlas) while others are not so good at twisting but can punish anything that tries to trade with them (like the Dire Wolf). Lurm assaults that stay in the back do not make good use of this armor and therefore allow the enemy to concentrate their fire on fewer, squishier targets.

put it this way -- how many times have you seen a lurm assault, its armor untouched, set upon by three wounded enemies at the end of a match and quickly dispatched? It's a pretty common occurrence tbh and it happens because that assault was contributing only its damage, and dispersed damage at that.

#35 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:14 AM

I don't have a problem with someone who takes lrms on an Atlas because they have the room and weight to spare and then fires their lrms while moving toward the enemy. What I do have a problem with is players who take their Atlases with lrms and hang back at a dead stop until all of their lurms are used up. That goes against the reason for taking an Atlas. Atlases are meant to be brawlers, not only snipers or lrm boats. As such an Atlas should be moving to where the enemy is, firing lrms and other long range weapons until they are within brawling range of the enemy.

Edited by mailin, 09 April 2015 - 10:15 AM.

#36 Kotev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:15 AM

Lets clarify things here. Atlas isnt the most powerfull mech anymore and that extra armor gets destroyed pretty easy. Reason for this are Clan mechs and overall buffing of the weapons since Beta. This is offset bye introduction of quirks but for the Atlas to regain his tanking attribute needs MORE armor quirks. For me at the moment most viable Atlas engagement range is medium-far, so my DDC is with 2 ER Large, 2 UACs and 2 LRM10.

#37 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

View PostKotev, on 09 April 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

Lets clarify things here. Atlas isnt the most powerfull mech anymore and that extra armor gets destroyed pretty easy. Reason for this are Clan mechs and overall buffing of the weapons since Beta. This is offset bye introduction of quirks but for the Atlas to regain his tanking attribute needs MORE armor quirks. For me at the moment most viable Atlas engagement range is medium-far, so my DDC is with 2 ER Large, 2 UACs and 2 LRM10.

I agree that the atlas is much less powerful and suboptimal than it used to be.

View Postmailin, on 09 April 2015 - 10:14 AM, said:

I don't have a problem with someone who takes lrms on an Atlas because they have the room and weight to spare and then fires their lrms while moving toward the enemy. What I do have a problem with is players who take their Atlases with lrms and hang back at a dead stop until all of their lurms are used up. That goes against the reason for taking an Atlas. Atlases are meant to be brawlers, not only snipers or lrm boats. As such an Atlas should be moving to where the enemy is, firing lrms and other long range weapons until they are within brawling range of the enemy.

see the issue with that is that taking those LRMs makes the Atlas worse at what it's good at. two LRM-10s for instance is 10 tons plus ammo. You could do all kinds of cool stuff with that tonnage. put a STD 350 on an Atlas and watch how well you can spread damage 'cause you twist faster. Load up on heat sinks, put more armor on, whatever. those lurms aren't doing ZERO damage, but they're generally not contributing particularly well.

Edited by pattonesque, 09 April 2015 - 10:21 AM.

#38 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:19 AM

Atlases are far to slow to justify medium range engagement, and to be quite honest with you, that build is hot garbage. Atlases are best as brawlers, despite this, you are correct that they are not really in the Meta anymore. Especially not in CW, where going less than 70kph is a bad plan, and spending 100 tonnes of your 250 ton drop deck is also a bad idea.

#39 Kotev

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 165 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:27 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 09 April 2015 - 10:19 AM, said:

Atlases are far to slow to justify medium range engagement, and to be quite honest with you, that build is hot garbage. Atlases are best as brawlers, despite this, you are correct that they are not really in the Meta anymore. Especially not in CW, where going less than 70kph is a bad plan, and spending 100 tonnes of your 250 ton drop deck is also a bad idea.

Try the build you like it ;)
On more serius note, the brawler build 1 AC20-2 LBX10, 3 SRM6 is somewhat broken becouse of nerfed srms

#40 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 10:28 AM

I recommend you replace the LRM10s with srms. I'd probably change up the UACs to maybe an AC20 as well, and swap the ERLLs with pulses. with the ECM on an Atlas D-DC "Ghost Dad", one of their strongest and most satisfying plays is to hang around blind corners where enemies will emerge. there is nothing better than seeing some poor schmuck turn a corner and come face to face with a leering skull at point blank range, then blowing his mech to pieces while he desperately tries to retreat.

sadly this type of play has become less and less optimal and at this point my unit has completely phased it out, but its still incredibly fun.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users