"extinct" Mech Pack Sounds Great To Me.

BattleMechs Store Loadout

34 replies to this topic

#1 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:34 PM

Just cause they ceased to exist by 3050 doesn't mean we shouldn't get to have fun in them. At least one is a hidden gem IMO.

35 ton Firebee for a Light missile boat. Extinct due to Succession Wars--well, except two. Currently only the Huginn is similar, but it is behind paywall.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Firebee

55 ton Alfar for the Medium slot. Extinct due to difficulty of repairs. It is pretty much a slightly inferior Shawk but perhaps PGI can salvage it by giving it an actual Medium mech size. The mech Lynx is an energy only alternative choice.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Alfar

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Lynx

70 ton Dragoon for ECM Heavy. Extinct thanks to Kerensky. Those hardpoint locations screams "CW cheese mech".

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Dragoon

85 ton Crockett for the Assault slot. Extinct due to "lostech". Comstar turns out having a few of them but for the rest of the Inner Sphere it was extinct. It is not a spectacular mech but IS is due for another 85 ton Assault.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Crockett

And for those who had purchased the highest tier pack, PGI can give the now extinct 70 ton BattleAxe for free. I know at least some of you want the good old BattleAxe. ;) One variant has 5 missile slots.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleAxe

*edit* As Joe mentioned, the 75 ton Hammerhands is also a good candidate for this pack. Since Harmony Gold still denies us the Warhammer, this mech is the next best thing.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Hammerhands

Edited by El Bandito, 10 April 2015 - 06:54 AM.

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 09 April 2015 - 11:51 PM

Oh - the Dragoon - you really want to cause tears aye? Nice Amaris Build - but - shouldn't be the better Extinct Assault be the Rilfeman II (the real one - ECM + 4 Gauss)
Or the Ymir, or the Atlas II to bring this beast back to its former glory.

The Alfar is the better Griffin - although the Griffin is the successor - Gladiator or vonRohrs would be nice additions either.

I really would like to have a kind of substitute package:
instead of a new Mech with 3 variants each - what about a package that include for example 1 (premium) Alfar + 2 Griffins
or 1 (premium Atlas II) and 2 Atlas Mechs.

In this way you can "overwrite" the 3 variant needed limitation - and you can bring IIC Mechs - in a similar fashion (UrbanMech IIC, Great Wyrm, Highlander IIC, Orion IIC)

#3 SirLANsalot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:03 AM

AEM-004 Dragoon
Based on a weapon-stripped 01 model, Dragoon 04's long-ranged weapons come in the form of a single Gauss Rifle and an ER PPC. Its short-ranged weapons include four SRM 4s and a pair of Medium Lasers

ITS A "META MECH"!!!!!! Gauss/PPC STOCK loadout with ML and SRMs for backup....god the puggies would cry tears over this thing. Like they did long ago when this build could be done on a Battlemaster, or the Highlander....or many other mechs in the game. Tell me, why do we need these mechs? The HP layouts look no different then what can be accomplished right now, much like the Zeus added nothing new to the pool of mechs in unique HP layouts.

Edited by SirLANsalot, 10 April 2015 - 12:03 AM.

#4 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:10 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 09 April 2015 - 11:51 PM, said:

Oh - the Dragoon - you really want to cause tears aye? Nice Amaris Build - but - shouldn't be the better Extinct Assault be the Rilfeman II (the real one - ECM + 4 Gauss)

Harmony Gold. :( Rifleman is taken from Macross.

View PostSirLANsalot, on 10 April 2015 - 12:03 AM, said:

AEM-004 Dragoon
Based on a weapon-stripped 01 model, Dragoon 04's long-ranged weapons come in the form of a single Gauss Rifle and an ER PPC. Its short-ranged weapons include four SRM 4s and a pair of Medium Lasers

ITS A "META MECH"!!!!!! Gauss/PPC STOCK loadout with ML and SRMs for backup....god the puggies would cry tears over this thing. Like they did long ago when this build could be done on a Battlemaster, or the Highlander....or many other mechs in the game. Tell me, why do we need these mechs? The HP layouts look no different then what can be accomplished right now, much like the Zeus added nothing new to the pool of mechs in unique HP layouts.

AEM-01 will be the reason why people buy it. No other IS heavy have as good of weapon mounts with the addition of ECM. Buttmaster and Highlander are Assaults. You can build it with high mounted Dual Gauss with ECM, and it just screams cheese, and profit for PGI. This is the mech Gauss Jager wishes to become. It even has optional JJs.

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 10 April 2015 - 12:42 AM.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:29 AM

We play a battletech related game, not actually battletech. So we do not have to stick 100% on all the things from battletech.

These Lore lst mechs could be sme real extra rewards from CW or such.

Firebee looks interesting, but then only 86kph, problematic at all with how light meta is played.

#6 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:39 AM

Well for one of your picks, the Lynx goes back into production during 3056, so a little Calendar manipulation by PGI could easily give you that one.

#7 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:40 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 10 April 2015 - 12:29 AM, said:

We play a battletech related game, not actually battletech. So we do not have to stick 100% on all the things from battletech.

These Lore lst mechs could be sme real extra rewards from CW or such.

Firebee looks interesting, but then only 86kph, problematic at all with how light meta is played.

PGI can give the Firebee regular swappable engine instead. I just love the looks of it.

Edited by El Bandito, 10 April 2015 - 12:42 AM.

#8 Onmyoudo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 955 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 01:47 AM

Dat Dragoon. Looks cool, amazing weapons and hardpoints, amazing potential for quirks based on stock loadouts, ECM, guaranteed to be one of my favourite mechs if ever released.

Except it would have a huge negative impact on balance and variety, and would feel like a crutch to pilot. So for the best if it is quietly forgotten, really.

#9 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 02:00 AM

View PostOnmyoudo, on 10 April 2015 - 01:47 AM, said:

Dat Dragoon. Looks cool, amazing weapons and hardpoints, amazing potential for quirks based on stock loadouts, ECM, guaranteed to be one of my favourite mechs if ever released.

Except it would have a huge negative impact on balance and variety, and would feel like a crutch to pilot. So for the best if it is quietly forgotten, really.

I suppose in a way the Dragoon is a victim of PGI's mech customization rule. If we had sized hardpoints, which I endorse, and if only PGI didn't implement the GECM as the AECM in game, it wouldn't be considered OP.

Edited by El Bandito, 10 April 2015 - 02:10 AM.

#10 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:25 AM

Extinct mech pack you say?

Light: Commando
Medium: Kintaro
Heavy: Mad Dog(?)
Assault: Victor

Oh wait, you meant a different kind of extinct...

Edited by FupDup, 10 April 2015 - 06:26 AM.

#11 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:29 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 April 2015 - 02:00 AM, said:

I suppose in a way the Dragoon is a victim of PGI's mech customization rule. If we had sized hardpoints, which I endorse, and if only PGI didn't implement the GECM as the AECM in game, it wouldn't be considered OP.

The Dragoon comes stock with an ERPPC and 2 LB 10-X, it would actually get to fit larger weapons than most other heavies lol.

#12 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:30 AM

I would rather the Hammerhands to the BattleAxe. Its cooler looking.

#13 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:38 AM

View PostFupDup, on 10 April 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

The Dragoon comes stock with an ERPPC and 2 LB 10-X, it would actually get to fit larger weapons than most other heavies lol.

It would at best equip AC10 or LB10X with sized hardpoints--both are deemed bad at current meta--far cry from Gauss or AC20 cheese that players will immediately build with current customization. As long as TTK is going down, I will be happy.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 10 April 2015 - 06:30 AM, said:

I would rather the Hammerhands to the BattleAxe. Its cooler looking.

That works too. I'll add it.

Edited by El Bandito, 10 April 2015 - 06:44 AM.

#14 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:40 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 April 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

Still, it would at best equip AC10 or LB10X--both are deemed bad at current meta--far cry from Gauss or AC20 cheese player will immediately build with current customization.

LB 10-X is 6 critical slots. Gauss is 7 critical slots. Not really a big size difference...

#15 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:42 AM

You want extinct?? This thread need more Mackie.

Posted Image

#16 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

View PostFupDup, on 10 April 2015 - 06:40 AM, said:

LB 10-X is 6 critical slots. Gauss is 7 critical slots. Not really a big size difference...

I was referring to the MW4 sizes. In that game, AC2 costs 1 ballistic slot, AC5 and AC10 cost ballistic 2 slots each, Gauss and AC20 cost 3 ballistic slots each . Heavy Gauss cost 4 slots, by being the largest ballistic. Makes sense to me, balance wise. Only thing I would change is to make sure that one can only equip 1 weapon per ballistic slot--no more fitting multiple smaller guns in a large gun slot.

View Postcdlord, on 10 April 2015 - 06:42 AM, said:

You want extinct?? This thread need more Mackie.

Posted Image

It isn't exactly extinct--only not produced anymore. There were some in museums and even the Clans had some back in their homeworlds.

PGI can probably hype up this "first true battlemech" in similar vein as the Urbie for an individual pack sale though. I know there are people who have hard-ons for vintage rides.

Edited by El Bandito, 10 April 2015 - 06:57 AM.

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 06:59 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 April 2015 - 06:46 AM, said:

I was referring to the MW4 sizes. In that game, AC2 costs 1 ballistic slot, AC5 and AC10 cost ballistic 2 slots each, Gauss and AC20 cost 3 ballistic slots each . Heavy Gauss cost 4 slots, by being the largest ballistic. Makes sense to me, balance wise. Only thing I would change is to make sure that one can only equip 1 weapon per ballistic slot--no more fitting multiple smaller guns in a large gun slot.

That's mostly because MW4 threw out the whole crit system entirely, so they had to make up their own weapon sizes instead. MWO however still uses the critslot system, so it would be more intuitive to at least somewhat base hardpoints off of that (maybe make a few rare outlier exceptions for CERLL etc.).

As for multiple guns in 1 hardpoint, having it hardlocked at 1 still inherits the current MWO issue of just putting in whatever the largest gun you can fit is. Of course we shouldn't allow Annihilators to have 16 Machine Guns like MW4, because that would be stupid, but we don't have to operate on a pendulum-swing here.

I'd rather just set an arbitrary quantity limit alongside the total size limit, to allow for a "moderate middleground" between the two opposite extremes. For example, it seems kind of weird that a Catapult K2's PPC arms can only equip a single Small Laser...having a weapon limit of 2 for those arms (and size limit of probably 5 slots, to fit a Heavy PPC + Capacitor) seems fair enough.

#18 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:02 AM

View PostFupDup, on 10 April 2015 - 06:59 AM, said:

That's mostly because MW4 threw out the whole crit system entirely, so they had to make up their own weapon sizes instead. MWO however still uses the critslot system, so it would be more intuitive to at least somewhat base hardpoints off of that (maybe make a few rare outlier exceptions for CERLL etc.).

As for multiple guns in 1 hardpoint, having it hardlocked at 1 still inherits the current MWO issue of just putting in whatever the largest gun you can fit is. Of course we shouldn't allow Annihilators to have 16 Machine Guns like MW4, because that would be stupid, but we don't have to operate on a pendulum-swing here.

I'd rather just set an arbitrary quantity limit alongside the total size limit, to allow for a "moderate middleground" between the two opposite extremes. For example, it seems kind of weird that a Catapult K2's PPC arms can only equip a single Small Laser...having a weapon limit of 2 for those arms (and size limit of probably 5 slots, to fit a Heavy PPC + Capacitor) seems fair enough.

I am sure the finer details can be subject to change as long as it helps balancing, but I just want PGI to at least try out sized hardpoints option. Cause current customization system is not working well IMO, and is frankly detrimental to many other aspects of this game, including weapon scaling, and large alphas.

It will no doubt be a big overhaul, but somethings need to be changed at core.

Edited by El Bandito, 10 April 2015 - 07:04 AM.

#19 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 10 April 2015 - 06:46 AM, said:

It isn't exactly extinct--only not produced anymore. There were some in museums and even the Clans had some back in their homeworlds.

PGI can probably hype up this "first true battlemech" in similar vein as the Urbie for an individual pack sale though. I know there are people who have hard-ons for vintage rides.

In all my reading I never read about them being *actual* museum pieces. Only one I ever read in action was the antique Horse used on Huntress..... And after that battle, it might as well be extinct. No clue if it survived Operation Scorpion.

Edited by cdlord, 10 April 2015 - 07:26 AM.

#20 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 10 April 2015 - 07:21 AM

Hammerhand!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users