- - - - -

My Current Objective: Noob Friendly Build?

38 replies to this topic

#21 Krakenfingers

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 April 2015 - 01:38 PM

View PostTerciel1976, on 14 April 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

@VeryHot:

It's been a good thread, lots of good advice. I would like to add a couple things. First, DHS aren't really optional. That's a blunt truth of this game. We even call it a "tax" because it's 1.5MM you just have to pay on top of a mech's purchase price (except for the few mechs that come with them, though they have a higher purchase price to start with). Second, people here aren't kidding. The TBT is a very tough mech to play. I have collected nearly two hundred mechs representing virtually every chassis in the game and I'm just now getting to TBTs. And, worse, I bought a 7K on sale and eventually bought a 5J instead (to complement my LdG and 7M) because I really can't see anything great to do with the 7K. As a guy who started with Commandos and knows all about wishing I'd taken another path, you really should seriously consider a new account. You've chosen a very tough path.

Actually...
VeryHot was my first account. I bough a centurion but disliked how it felt underarmed and slow. I then bought a Shadow 2H thinking it would be a great pop and snipe with a Gauss gun, but I found the 'charging' delay with the Gauss gun too much to handle. Then I ran out of credits and decided to go for a new account.

Krakenfingers... yes. I went ahead and bought a trebuchet, aiming for the terrible build on the first post. I now have a more sensible 'I hope you ignore my AC20' build while I grind the last credits from the noob bonus and try a better mech.

#22 Phobic Wraith

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 252 posts
  • LocationUtah

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:30 PM

View PostKrakenfingers, on 14 April 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

Krakenfingers... yes. I went ahead and bought a trebuchet, aiming for the terrible build on the first post. I now have a more sensible 'I hope you ignore my AC20' build while I grind the last credits from the noob bonus and try a better mech.

Better is such a... subjective term. I'll be honest. There are a few skills that every mechwarrior needs to learn, like building effective 'mechs and knowing what makes them effective. That contributes a lot to learning the game and having fun.

Another aspect that really has no real fix is the learning curve/new player experience. You commented earlier that we're being helpful. We have to be helpful, because there's no in-game alternative to learning all these systems. we like this game and we want people to stay. The more, the merrier. The down side is that many of us have been playing regularly for literally (not figuratively... I can't believe I have to specify that now) years. Many of us are proverbial (figurative) wolves. We see fresh meat and go for the kill without mercy. And the skill gap only increases with time. New players now have it harder than when I was a new player. Honestly, I salute all the new players for sticking around to learn the ropes.

My point is that you're in for a rough ride, and there is no build or mech that will make you good. When your cadet bonus is over, there's going to be some tough games and it will force you to play better or die... repeatedly(literally in game, figuratively otherwise?).

My first suggestion is to find a group and try to play with teammates regularly. Make sure these people are willing to teach you the best ways to play and how to be the one man death squad you want to be.

And as always, if you want to know, don't be afraid to stop by and ask.

#23 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:40 PM

You do not need for the AC20 mech to be completely ignored. The Trebuchet is even safer than the Hunchback with that setup because it has better shield arms, and no huge hunch (usually a liability). Stick with a team assault or heavy that has direct fire weapons, keep cover when out of range, and twist left after every shot to protect the weapon. You should be able to do major damage.

As for regretting your decisions, just do not sell anything. The single biggest drag on your purchases in MWO is stuff you thought would be useless, but later buy again because reasons.

If you have the Shadowhawk 4H, try to put 2xAC5 with a LL or PPC on it. That thing is great for shooting over ridges all match, and the weapons are simple enough to use.

#24 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 09:35 PM

View PostKrakenfingers, on 14 April 2015 - 01:38 PM, said:

I now have a more sensible 'I hope you ignore my AC20' build

btw, you know that you can put the biggest gun on a light mech? i dont mean urbie, i mean adder

#25 Krakenfingers

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:10 AM

View PostModo44, on 14 April 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

You do not need for the AC20 mech to be completely ignored. The Trebuchet is even safer than the Hunchback with that setup because it has better shield arms, and no huge hunch (usually a liability). Stick with a team assault or heavy that has direct fire weapons, keep cover when out of range, and twist left after every shot to protect the weapon. You should be able to do major damage.

I'm doing pretty fine with the TrebuchetAC20. Half my matches are 200ish damage. I usually die with less than that due to insufficient map knowledge.

I'm doing less damage though with the Hunchback. It has a weaker engine and lower slung lasers, plus it overheats quickly. It's good for popping over a ridge and splatting with 12SRMs though.

As for regretting your decisions, just do not sell anything. The single biggest drag on your purchases in MWO is stuff you thought would be useless, but later buy again because reasons.

If you have the Shadowhawk 4H, try to put 2xAC5 with a LL or PPC on it. That thing is great for shooting over ridges all match, and the weapons are simple enough to use.

View Postbad arcade kitty, on 14 April 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

I actually tried the shadowhawk on my first account. The AC5s forced me to stay exposed, sniping, for too long, and it had pretty terrible DPS. Plus I was still learning the controls...

btw, you know that you can put the biggest gun on a light mech? i dont mean urbie, i mean adder

My dream is to one day be able to work the Spider effectively.

#26 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:25 AM

View PostKrakenfingers, on 15 April 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

I'm doing pretty fine with the TrebuchetAC20. Half my matches are 200ish damage. I usually die with less than that due to insufficient map knowledge.

Glad to hear it is working. The map knowledge part is a matter of practice. Following a scarier friendly mech helps because they usually get shot before you. ;)

#27 Chuanhao

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 520 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:38 AM

Good choice of Mech! My favourite Medium, over and above the SHD (oddly) due to my preference for either direct or indirect fire support plays.

7K - 2 PPCs and 1 AC5 on a 280XL engine. Move into overwatch positions and deliver a fusillade of direct fire support of PPCs mixed with AC5 to manage heat, making full use of chassis quirks.

7M – 2 LRM15 and 2 ML, on a 300XL engine. Move, jump into a line-of-sight position to deliver massed LRMs in quick succession, again utilising chassis quirks.

7J- 1 ER PPC, 4 ML, 1 SSRM2, on a 300XL engine. Move quickly into contact, deliver concentrated blast of ML, dance around a bit, then JJ out before the enemy retaliates. Use ER PPC otherwise for long range sniping by using JJ to get into optimal positions.

#28 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 01:52 AM

spider cannot take an ac-20... but it can take a gauss rifle! :3

#29 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 03:21 AM

Cashflow problem.

How i solved mine (or attempted to solve it).

Lots of grind...

BuilT up of mech xp until i cleared master for all 3 variants needed to do that (3 different variants of centurions for example, champion builds do not count). I realized doing that would net me approximately 9-12 million cbills. If i continue until i earn 30k xp on each mech after mastery i earn additional cbills that would go to the next mech.

View PostVeryHot, on 14 April 2015 - 01:17 PM, said:

Please remember that upgrading the 7k to have the top XL255 engine is great and all, but it'll leave me short on cash for a second mech

Some pointers (in case it wasn't covered yet) :

- Bigger engines weigh more (and cost more), for an increase in movement speed and torso twist speed.
- XLS engines weigh 1/2 of STD engines, while making the side torsos vulnerable (side torso destroyed = engine destroyed)
- Double heat sinks provide 1.4 cooling against Single heat sinks' 1.0 cooling over time, allowing you to fight for longer periods without overheating. The cost is in the additional space it requires.
- Ferro Fibrous Armour and Endo-steel are weight reduction enhancements, with ES being the better one. (FF does not give you more armour)
- Completion of ALL elite tier skills gives you x 2 basic skill efficiency. That means x 2 cooling boost, heat threshold, torso twist radius, etc.

Before i forget...you might come across an equipment called CASE. It is used to prevent ammo explosions from affecting other parts of your mech. However it is useless on XLS engines, since it can only be mounted on the torsos.

Edited by dragnier1, 15 April 2015 - 03:34 AM.

#30 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:30 AM

View PostModo44, on 14 April 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

You do not need for the AC20 mech to be completely ignored. The Trebuchet is even safer than the Hunchback with that setup because it has better shield arms, and no huge hunch (usually a liability).

this,the 7K is really hard to disarm,its was the go to-AC20medium for me before the quirks
also the Yen Lo Cost-build is really cheap to build.Cheaper than hunchy.

Also i would grind some c-bills for the 3C and 5J Trebs. The 3C comes with ALL necessary upgrades and expensive XL engine,nothing expensive required,and you can use that engine in the 5J. total cost for those = about 14 million c-bills for those 2 mechs.

#31 990Dreams

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationHotlanta

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

SHD-2D2

Teaches you about:
  • All ranges of combat
  • Multi-ranged playstyles
  • LRMs and lock-on weapons
  • Leading with the ACs
  • Standard Lasers v/s Pulse Lasers and how to use each
  • Heat management
  • Protecting your shoulders
  • Jump Jets
  • SRMs and 'shotgun' weapons

Edited by DavidHurricane, 16 April 2015 - 09:19 AM.

#32 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:59 AM

Not wasted, but you need to spend more to really get the best out of that mech...

Quirk build, plays to the PPC/ac-5 meta

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0bcc567bc70bbd6

Skirmisher build... Good lance support, LRM's can let you engage durring the early part of the mission when at range, and work well for adding damage at the 200-300m range, 2 MPL's+ SRM6 packs a nice punch, and dual machine guns for end match, or up close and personal to shread internals of any mech with out armor. A harder to play mech, but fun nonetheless.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...1ffd11f445e29b7

#33 Richter Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 601 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:59 AM

Generally speaking, when you're driving an IS mech, you want to look at the list of quirks to see what kind of weapons you should be putting on it. A lot of people already posted builds that are some combination of AC/5s and PPCs, and they did so because of the quirks that give this mech better PPCs and AC/5s. Check out this page: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ium_innersphere and scroll down to find the TBT-7K's quirks.

I'd recommend not putting LRMs in your mech because they teach you bad habits and aren't as effective as learning how to aim and poke with direct-fire weapons.

#34 Krakenfingers

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 16 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 April 2015 - 01:30 PM

Here's my current build, quirk-orientated. I found myself often sniping from 800-1000m and running away from engagements as early as possible, and changing position at after 2 poptarts.

TBT-7K

The engine comes from my Hunchback 4SP. Since it was more of a brawler build, it needed the bigger engine.

HBK-4SP

Can you help me complete the Hunchback build and maybe optimize the TBT7K?

Note that I'm only making about 600k a day and I don't want a super competitive 14 million CBill/one month of grinding worth of upgrades right now before I settle on the 'best' mech for me.

Edited by Krakenfingers, 16 April 2015 - 01:37 PM.

#35 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 10:00 AM

View PostKrakenfingers, on 16 April 2015 - 01:30 PM, said:

Here's my current build, quirk-orientated. I found myself often sniping from 800-1000m and running away from engagements as early as possible, and changing position at after 2 poptarts.

TBT-7K

The engine comes from my Hunchback 4SP. Since it was more of a brawler build, it needed the bigger engine.

HBK-4SP

Can you help me complete the Hunchback build and maybe optimize the TBT7K?

Note that I'm only making about 600k a day and I don't want a super competitive 14 million CBill/one month of grinding worth of upgrades right now before I settle on the 'best' mech for me.

Okay, so here's two builds, both of which I have considered and played, and alternate between them (though my Hunchies are getting neglected in favor of mastering Grasshoppers at the moment).

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f6b7c65ce561bac

This is the build that I played the most. It's hot, but I have mastered my Hunchbacks and thus get double basic skill bonuses, and besides, the HBK-4P(C) is my favorite Hunch, and that build has 9 medium lasers that teach you trigger discipline and heat management quickly. So this build has two SRM-6. I suggest that you stick to SRMs on the SP, but that's my own opinion only - I have seen LRM SPs before.

I will approach this build and the next as follows, by looking at them and not explaining what each thing I put in there does, but rather WHY I put each thing there. That is what you need to learn - spoken as a two month old pilot who can now play quite competantly.

Look on this page in the quirks section for the Hunchback, and then find the SP. It's about halfway down the page. Quirks are not the end all be all of mech building, but they can give you some really good hints as to what will be useful. You'll see there's a 20% missile cooldown quirk, and then an ADDITIONAL 20% cooldown quirk for SRM-6 in particular. That means yor reload time without any bonuses or modules will be 60% of the reload time for a mech that uses SRMs without any quirks.

Now, you'll notice this build has double heatsinks. Here's the deal: double heatsinks dissipate 1.4 heat per second, and take up 3 times the space (2 times the space for clans). So if you just look at the amount of critical slots occupied, double heat sinks would need to dissipate 3 heat each in order to make up for their being 3 times bigger in terms of critical slots... except that every engine has heatsinks inside that do not cost tonnage. And when you upgrade to double heatsinks, the ones in the engine now dissipate 2 heat instead of 1. For no extra critical space or tonnage. So it works out that double heatsinks are basically always more useful than single; I have not seen a build yet that works better with single heatsinks even though I have actively looked for such a build for my own amusement.

Heatsinks are more complicated even than that because they each add to your total heat capacity as well as to how much you can dissipate per second. And I didn't take the double heatsinks being a third the weight into that calculation either. There's threads that do that and mathematically prove the superiority of DHS; this thread is not the place for that.

I always aim for at least 30% heat efficiency in the smurf-lab. 29% will do here, because you should always be aiming to elite and then master your mechs, and that will provide double basic skill bonuses.

Now look again at those quirks. Notice there's quirks for -10% medium laser heat generation, as well as -10% energy heat generation. Since medium lasers are energy weapons, that means they produce 20% less heat. Yet I chose to dump a 2 medium lasers and a small laser and put in three medium pulse lasers instead... why would I do this? If you look you will see that there is also a -25% laser duration quirk. This means all lasers will do their damage in 3/4 the time that they would take to do that damage when carried by mechs without this quirk. And here's where I get back to quirks being helpful guidelines but not the absolute law: I have found the SP works best when it can get in, dump a buttload of SRM and laser in some hapless mech's lap, and then get out immediately, to get back in cover and plot the next go around. It can brawl if need be, but that's not its most excellent role. So I choose to forgo the medium laser heat reduction quirk in order to make use of medium pulse lasers, because they already do greater damage over less time, and then my -25% laser duration quirk reduces that already short period of time by a quarter. So the point is to show your face for as short of a time as possible; every moment you can see their guns, their guns can see and shoot you. So in this case I prefer to get in and out quickly.

And that brings me to the engine. In case you didn't notice I put in a STD250. First, this means that you'll have 10 internal engine heatsinks - divide the engine rating by 25, and that's how many heatsinks are in the engine. Unless of course the number is more than 10, in which case youll have to pay for any additional heatsinks - single or double - in C-bills. But you don't take on any weight or critical slot penalty for those heatsinks. Complicated and ridiculous to wrap your head around at first, no?

Anyway, that's ten engine heatsinks, which is good because you'll need that to help dissipate all the heat on this mech. Also, this gets you up to 81 kph - 89.1 kph with the elite skill named 'speed tweak'. And as I mentioned, for me personally this mech is about getting in, dumping damage, and getting out, so I want that speed. I was getting SLAUGHTERED with the stock engine - when I upped the engine I suddenly was effective.

Now, there's not a lot of stuff taking up critical slots on this mech, say compared to my HBK-4P, which has to squeeze 9 lasers in. So as I played around in smurfy-lab, I tested how much I could get into it with endo-steel enabled, and then how much I could get into it with ferro-fibrous armor enabled. And this is important to think in this order, because for ANY mech, endo always frees up more tonnage than ferro - but ferro and endo BOTH take 14 slots. Hence, if you're going to sacrifice slots for tonnage, get the most tonnage possible for those slots, which endo does. Only then think about whether you need yet more tonnage in exchange for still fewer slots, and if so then enable ferro.

And it's not that expensive of a build - 1.5 mil for double heatsinks, 750,000 each for endo and ferro, less than a mil for the medium pulse lasers, and 1.5 mil for the engine. It rarely gets cheaper than that to outfit an Inner Sphere mech in this game.

Next, we have this build. This exchanges the medium pulse lasers for Artemis on the SRMs. Now, artemis does something different for SRMs and LRMs. This post is already really long so I won't get into LRMs here. For SRMs, it makes their spread tighter. This means that when you shoot those 12 SRMs, their damage will be spread over less space, doing more damage to fewer mech parts (arms, torsos, etc). I choose the top build because I don't object to the SRM spread without Artemis. But others like the tighter spread, so we make sure we use those laser quirks anyway - by using all medium lasers we can ensure that we still take advantage of quirks while using less tonnage.

In this case, when I play with the addition of ferro, it is NOT worth it. I would prefer to take an extra heatsink and an extra ton of ammo. Notice however that I have taken a point of armor off of each leg in order to put the torso front and back to maximum. Ferro makes armor less heavy in exchange for taking up slots, and when I disabled ferro, I had .93 of a ton left. By taking a point off of each leg, that allows the torso to stay at full armor whilst still giving me that last .7 of a ton to put in that last heatsink or that last ton of armor, however you want to look at it.

With Artemis, you're looking at 360k C-bills I believe. but you don't need Ferro, which is 750k, so that's actually a cheaper build overall.

It is worth pointing out that these two builds are not the super min/maxed meta builds. You can find those on the metamechs forum. These are just two builds I have tested out and enjoyed a lot.

What I hope is that you can start to see the process behind designing a mech fro this post, not just getting a build but the idea of HOW to build.

Cheers. Any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. As was mentioned at the beginning, the MWO community is really cool, really nice and well-behaved, and eager to help people who appear to want to learn.

#36 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:19 AM

View PostVeryHot, on 14 April 2015 - 11:03 AM, said:

Hi.

I played for a bit, waste my money and now I've settled on this build as my grind objective:

TBT-7K

Can someone give their opinion on this?

I am going to assume you have blown all your cbill on the mech and cannot affort upgrades or a new engine.
This loadout is close to what I ran on my 7K when grinding out Basic.
TBT-7K

Stay away from the frontline and brawling, you run too hot to stay in the fight against optimized mechs.

With a STD170 engine, you move about as fast as an Assualt mechs. They will be your best friends on the battlefield. Stay behind the Assault and let them do the fighting, hang around 300m behind them so you don't expose yourself to be a target or get caught alone by enemy light mechs. If someone decided to charge you, just regroup with the assault mechs and let them punish him.

Play the support fire role.
Chain fire those LRM10 will annoyed and disoriented your target, taking some heat off your buddy. You have enough ammo for 36 shots of LRM10 on chain fire or 18 shots if you group fire them.
Try to pick target you can see or is within 600m. LRM travels at 160m/s, at 600m out, the target only have about 4 seconds to react to your missiles. If the target is engaging your team mate, they either have to disengage(saving your team mate) or continue fighting(free hit for your LRM).

Use the Large Laser on exposed component to kill or maim the enemy, and as backup when you ran out of LRM ammo.
Don't worry about scoring kills, you can rake in cbill by providing kill asist, medium protect, lance formation, component destruction.

It's not great, but it will get you cbill and exp faster than brawling and dying in a 7K.

#37 YCSLiesmith

• 1,040 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 11:42 AM

Hi.

I played for a bit, waste my money and now I've settled on this build as my grind objective:

TBT-7K

the AC-10 is the most useless of the AC line. doesn't do the damage of the 20 or have the speed of the 5.

#38 Rebel816

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 05:08 PM

View PostVeryHot, on 14 April 2015 - 12:36 PM, said:

As a side project, I was thinking of this speedy thing:
VND-1R

2 ERLs, 1 SRM6 and a buttload of heatsinks.

this is shorter range, but will be doing way more damage when in range, run cooler while having max armor, and jump jets. more of a hit and run type of gameplay once the teams get closer together and you can back up your teams bigger mechs which is where mediums excel at.

VND-1R

also ive read a couple of your threads, im not sure if anyone has told you but since your short on cbills at the moment you can always pull the engine from one mech and put it in another if you dont want to buy multiple expensive engines,...just in case you didnt know. ;)

#39 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 18 April 2015 - 10:37 AM

Hi.

TBT-7K

Trebby Starter Build

Essentially the "poor mans" version of my old ERLL sniper build. That had an XL300 and more heatsinks.

But not a bad place to start, if you find it too hot, swap down to standard Large Lasers.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users