Stop Hating On The Light Mech Just Because You Cant Land A Hit! Nerf Notes Here:

35 replies to this topic

#1 Jacobei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 311 posts
  • LocationElite Light Rangers 5

Posted 18 April 2015 - 06:53 PM

This has to make you :D

Edited by Jacobei, 18 April 2015 - 06:57 PM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:06 PM

The issue isn't the inability to land a hit on a Light mech. The issue is about landing a hit, registering on the paper doll, yet the Light mech is untouched. If I didn't know better about the whole hit-reg issues MWO is having, I would call it hacks.

Edited by El Bandito, 18 April 2015 - 07:07 PM.

#3 Poisoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:09 PM

0/10.

If you don't believe light mechs have hit registration issues, you must only play those who offend the most.

#4 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:16 PM

Who's up for dueling my Warhawk 1-on-1 with their light mech to see how many "hitreg" issues I have?

#5 One Medic Army

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,985 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:31 PM

Oh, I believe light mechs have hitreg issues. About half the time I pilot a firestarter it seems to dance between laser beams and barely get hurt. Jenner seem to have fewer issues. Ravens, some hit locations register more than others.

I'd love to see this stuff get fixed, and I'd love to see the firestarter balanced afterwards. And then maybe, just maybe, my Jenners will be worth piloting again when everything's done.

Edited by One Medic Army, 18 April 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#6 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:37 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 April 2015 - 07:16 PM, said:

Who's up for dueling my Warhawk 1-on-1 with their light mech to see how many "hitreg" issues I have?

You'd also need 22 other people doing the same thing.

1 VS 1 has far less calculations to lose than 12 VS 12.

#7 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 April 2015 - 07:16 PM, said:

While I've never said nobody has legit hitreg issues, this is my stand too. I kill *so damn many* lights in my Direwolf simply because lights are easy for me to hit, and 100pt alphas kind of wreck them.

I personally have absolutely zero hit registration issues with lights.

The old LPL warhawk, too... So funny, pick a side torso, cut it off, process along my way.

I don't know what the deal is other than how I personally never have hitreg issues.

#8 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:40 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 18 April 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

12 assaults vs 12 lights? I'm game if I get to be on the assault team.

#9 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:40 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 18 April 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

I've never played a 1v1 match. Only in 12v12. Zero hitreg issues for me.

#10 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:44 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 18 April 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

I've never played a 1v1 match. Only in 12v12. Zero hitreg issues for me.

On bad days, it's bad.

WubShee put over 150 damage (3 alphas) into already yellow legs on a Cicada...nothing. He didn't even go red. Just straight up lost damage.

There was lots of complaining that day about hitreg, and it was truthfully pretty bad. Of course, one of the following matches it managed to 1 shot a FS9s leg.

There are issues. They are intermittent. When they're bad, they're pretty damn bad.

View PostFupDup, on 18 April 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

12 assaults vs 12 lights? I'm game if I get to be on the assault team.

Twelve 1 VS 1s. Or even just 22 people using MGs and Flamers on each other (to stress the server), while the hitreg test takes place.

Remember how that used to literally break the server? We had to ban Embers in a league match because we crashed it 3 times in a row.
They've since made it better, not sure how much better.

#11 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:48 PM

As much as I love the underdog mechs, I did buy all the Firestarters just because the mech looks too good not to own it. And as someone who has played the Firestarter a lot... that thing does tank damage like nobody's business. If you put a STD280 engine on it, just for fun, you're basically invulnerable. It's the MWO equivalent of IDDQD cheats. Not a lot of firepower, but you can take ten times the amount of damage other light mechs can take. If you're running the game on Very High graphics, you can basically see the disappointment in people's eyes when they finally manage to take out your FS9's side torso, while you just trollololol away to safety.

Posted Image

And as someone with a somewhat unhealthy love of PPC's, I've had a fair number of cases where Firestarters just shrug off my shots with zero f***s given. It's not as big a problem with lasers or SRMs, but PPCs versus Firestarters is a sad endeavour.

#12 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 18 April 2015 - 07:56 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 18 April 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

There are issues. They are intermittent. When they're bad, they're pretty damn bad.

I don't argue there aren't. Just that whatever causes them, I don't ever suffer them. I'll play alongside people complaining about it, but not have any problems at all myself.

I've often wondered why that is. I'm very far from the servers, despite being Canadian - 3500km/2200m away - but on the other hand I'm in a major Canadian city (Calgary) so I'm pretty much on a major backbone.

*shrugs* I typically run around 80ms ping, I play very regularly, and never ever have problems. Don't know why, but I'm very glad I don't.

Often, light pilots seem downright suprised. This, more than anything, makes me feel there must be problems for other people. I play in a variety of Elo ranges, but light pilots in every range do (what seems to me) really stupid things, exposing themselves to my Direwolf - circling around me, for example. If you move in front of a Direwolf with a non-stupid build, you're going to die, unless you've got a lot of friends distracting him.

#13 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:01 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 18 April 2015 - 07:44 PM, said:

Twelve 1 VS 1s. Or even just 22 people using MGs and Flamers on each other (to stress the server), while the hitreg test takes place.

Remember how that used to literally break the server? We had to ban Embers in a league match because we crashed it 3 times in a row.
They've since made it better, not sure how much better.

That would probably invalidate the "test," seeing how such massive spammage doesn't even occur that often. My point was more to the effect of that my shots aren't going to usually dissipate into the void like everybody and their dog claims they do, and any shots that do have issues were almost certainly just shots that I missed outright due to being garbage at driving robots.

#14 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 April 2015 - 08:01 PM, said:

That would probably invalidate the "test," seeing how such massive spammage doesn't even occur that often. My point was more to the effect of that my shots aren't going to usually dissipate into the void like everybody and their dog claims they do, and any shots that do have issues were almost certainly just shots that I missed outright due to being garbage at driving robots.

If it works properly then, you've proved your point.

If it's iffy, there's some issues (in a worst case scenario). You get to test how bad it is. It used to literally break the game. What's the worst that could happen?

#15 Rear Admiral Tier 6

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,633 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

Saying that horrible and fluctuating hitreg against fast mechs is just "deal with it" or "lore-friendly" balancing tool is just wrong.
I would not mind leading the target a bit,if the lead was consistent,it just is really frustrating to experiment the servers PMS-levels in live-fire situations in real game and adjusting your aim accordingly,by that time the Firestarter(that usually has flawless pinpoint damage against you) has mowed down half of your team.

#16 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:06 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 18 April 2015 - 08:04 PM, said:

If it works properly then, you've proved your point.

If it's iffy, there's some issues (in a worst case scenario). You get to test how bad it is. It used to literally break the game. What's the worst that could happen?

Normal matches don't have 22 people spamming MGs and Flamers. It's pretty silly to try to use that as the baseline.

#17 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:08 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 April 2015 - 08:06 PM, said:

Normal matches don't have 22 people spamming MGs and Flamers. It's pretty silly to try to use that as the baseline.

Why not start with extremes?

It's not much different than Laserspam, which you do see very frequently. Flamers are identical in damage application, just no cooldown.
It simply won't kill your target as quickly.

#18 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:11 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 18 April 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

Why not start with extremes?

It's not much different than Laserspam, which you do see very frequently. Flamers are identical in damage application, just no cooldown.
It simply won't kill your target as quickly.

Lasers run into heat issues faster (depending on the build) and aren't used completely full-auto (they have cooldowns). And, most people don't hold down the trigger for several minutes straight.

I'd rather have something closer to normal condititions because otherwise people will say "Look at our highly specific manufactured laboratory conditions that never happen in real games, this means lights are totally and indisputably OP and dominating guise! We need to nerf them nao!"

#19 Mcgral18

• 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:12 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 April 2015 - 08:11 PM, said:

Lasers run into heat issues faster (depending on the build) and aren't used completely full-auto (they have cooldowns). And, most people don't hold down the trigger for several minutes straight.

I'd rather have something closer to normal condititions because otherwise people will say "Look at our highly specific manufactured laboratory conditions that never happen in real games, this means lights are totally and indisputably OP and dominating guise! We need to nerf them nao!"

So you want to avoid a stress test.

Which you could throttle to see where the breaking point is.

That sounds silly to me.

#20 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 April 2015 - 08:16 PM

View PostMcgral18, on 18 April 2015 - 08:12 PM, said:

So you want to avoid a stress test.

Which you could throttle to see where the breaking point is.

That sounds silly to me.

Mass MG/Flamer spammage has pretty little to do with the durability of light mechs in normal games (Flamers don't even appear in normal games outside of rare Adders, MGs aren't that great either). I also don't see all 24 mechs firing simultaneously very often (I don't recall the last time I've seen that?).

Right now I'm afraid of people looking for any far-fetched excuse they can find to call lights overpowered.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users