- - - - -

Cant Get The Damn Thing To Install :(

12 replies to this topic

#1 Gwartham Haldane

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 05:29 PM

So I am trying to install the game onto my sshd, which has 22 gigs free space.

Game downloads approx 7 gigs, starts installing, then runs my drive out of disk space, and I get generic insufficient disk space pop up.

Checked the mwo folder, found MWOUpdates folder, which in it has a 7.1 gig zip file, a folder called patchfiles, which is basically the unzipped zip files contents, and then a empty folder thats called patchedFiles.

And yet your website states min req of 7 gigs and recommended of 16 gigs.......

Oh and I uninstalled the game, reinstalled, and tried to set temp folder to someplace else on a second drive, it makes the folder, but then still downloads all the stuff back into the default folder.

Any help would be appreciated.....

#2 Egomane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

You shouldn't fill your harddrives till their breaking point. Best practice is to always leave 10 - 20 % of the storage space free, so that your OS can shuffle the files on it around (defragmentation) on physical drives or on SSDs for garbage collection/TRIM.

You are not done with the download .Afterwards the gamefiles will need to be extracted and installed in the game directory. This will take additional space on the harddrive.

#3 Gwartham Haldane

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2015 - 09:46 PM

Nah figured out the problem...lazy developers.

So you download a 7.1 gig zip file, then the program unzips the files into a folder, then the program patches the program in yet another folder, then the program COPIES the completed files to the game directory total.....total space required for the full instalation of the game? 100megs more then total patch, yet it took almost 30 gigs of space to accomplish......

And while I thank you for the primer in HDD's, its a 60 gig drive, so started this whole process with 30%+ in free space and still have 20%+ free space, and I only place one game on it at a time, but most games I play arent that terrible when it comes to bloating the hell out of its instalation.

Anyway solution was to install it to another drive, let it get done with its bloat, move the files then reinstall the launcher back to the original drive and copy the completed files.

#4 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 April 2015 - 02:46 AM

Glad you got it figured out.
See you on the battlefield.

#5 digitalMe

• Pip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:24 AM

Same problem here! However it is more difficult as I am using a small (40GB) Windows partition combined with BootCamp on my iMac (just to play MWO). I don't have any other drive, only external hard disk.

Any ideas or proposals for solution?
I am pretty frustrated right now :-/

See my original post:

After the last patch my MWO installation was not running anymore, because a certain file (don't remember anymore) was missing. I decided to uninstall and reinstall. Unfortunately this did not work because of missing disk space.

The Windows Partition is pretty small but I have 19 GB free disk space. After downloading the big patch (about 7GB, see URL below), there ist 12 GB free disk space left. However, if I try to continue the Installation process, it is cancelled because of missing disk space.

What can I do? I have deleted everything which is not absolutely necessary.

Thanks in advance!

C:\Program Files (x86)\Piranha Games\MWOUpdate\FrontendPatch_ZTN.zip

Edited by digitalMe, 10 May 2015 - 05:25 AM.

#6 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:32 AM

Buy a bigger hard drive?

#7 digitalMe

• Pip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMunich

Posted 10 May 2015 - 05:36 AM

View Postmailin, on 10 May 2015 - 05:32 AM, said:

Buy a bigger hard drive?

I have a big hard drive for MacOS (but the Windows partition is too small). And it's pretty time consuming to change the partition or reformat. The installation process as described above is pretty bad as you need about 30gb free disk space in the beginning :-/

Edited by digitalMe, 10 May 2015 - 05:46 AM.

#8 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:10 AM

Mine just refuses to patch on 64-bit but works fine on 32-bit. :/

#9 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 10 May 2015 - 11:03 PM

is there different instalator for 32 and 64 bit ?

#10 mailin

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 11 May 2015 - 09:16 AM

no, the installer is the same, I believe. The game should auto-select now for whichever OS you're using.

#11 Crash090

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 02:34 PM

Is there an explanation on why I need 3 times the game's size to install the damn thing? it's kina fail programming if I need to download, then unzip, then patch the unzipped **** and then install the game... What have you done to MecWarrior? This... thing... FAILs

#12 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:08 PM

View PostCrash090, on 30 April 2016 - 02:34 PM, said:

Is there an explanation on why I need 3 times the game's size to install the damn thing? it's kina fail programming if I need to download, then unzip, then patch the unzipped **** and then install the game... What have you done to MecWarrior? This... thing... FAILs

Quite simply this is true of anything that is installed after being downloaded.

100% of games on Steam install for a file size approximately 2 to 4 times the download size.
Why?
They are packed in archive files such as "Zip" or "MSI" and are compressed to make them easier to send.

In this compressed state they cannot be used since it requires insane amounts of processing to read them at such small sizes, and need to be unpacked in order to be 'read' and processed at a fast rate.

Now mind you -- the patching part is pretty post-process and its more of an issue with compressing and keeping the version that the site offers downloaded from the site up to date. This is a bit of a fail, but since this is done by virtually every free to play company and pretty much every non-Steam and non-Origin downloader/installer.... it's kinda normal.

If you downloaded it from Steam, however, it would be a single download and install every time.

Also beyond Crash's post here -- this is an old, old thread.

Edited by Koniving, 30 April 2016 - 03:09 PM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 03:13 PM

Oh, there is a real fail to be said though -- The actual install is only 1.5x the download's actual size; but all that memory of nearly 3x the size is consumed on your computer. This is because the loader keeps a decompressed copy in the download folder. If you delete it the launcher tries to redownload every patch ever created or since the last time the site's main download was updated (last time I did this in mid 2015, the last site version was from July 2014 so about a year of patches).

Seriously, if you're not getting your MWO through the streamlined installer on steam, you really wasting a lot of hard drive space.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users