Time To Bring Back Jump Sniping Meta?

256 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:31 AM

OK just question would you like to see the jump sniping meta return? Are you bored with the current laser vomit meta? Or would you rather see something else?

In a way this is a poll without being a poll. Just curios of what you want to see as the play style/s for the game.

1. Jump sniping as main meta?

2. Jump sniping and laser vomit equal?

3. More balanced meta with more ballistics and more short range SRM type play and and jump sniping also viable?

4. More balanced meta with more ballistics and more short range SRM type play and but no jump sniping like it is now?

5. A fix to jump jets so you have them like they were but still some way to nerf jump sniping?

6. A short range meta where most games are short range and you get lots of SRM AC20 action?

Do not see yours on the list then please add it below :)

What do you want and why just curios?

I will try and summarize results after a couple of days.

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 22 April 2015 - 08:39 AM.

#2 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:32 AM

None of the above?

I'd like to see a stock meta. Use quirks to reinforce stock loadouts.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

I want stronger and more fun JJs, but not a full-fledged return to the toaster pastry days please. Give JJs something like 0.5 seconds (more or less as needed) of shake after spacebar is released, and then we don't have to fear strong JJs anymore.

#4 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:36 AM

None of the above?

Would a stock game mode be good enough?

I want stronger and more fun JJs, but not a full-fledged return to the toaster pastry days please. Give JJs something like 0.5 seconds (more or less as needed) of shake after spacebar is released, and then we don't have to fear strong JJs anymore.
So a returne to the good jump jets for jump brawling etc but with other mechanics to keep the jump sniping away.

#5 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:48 AM

Option 3 >/= 5 for me of the options listed. I don't want poptarting to be the default meta, but I do think it should be as viable of a option as anything else.

#6 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:51 AM

Jump sniping right now is actually quite good. It has the drawback of low DPS, but you are very hard to hit (lasers can't pinpoint you) meaning you can last longer and get positional advantages. The 2ERPPC Nova is pretty good

#7 Zeusus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:52 AM

4 5 or 6. Jump sniping can remain the history.

#8 Kenyon Burguess

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 2,619 posts
  • LocationNE PA USA

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

you can jump snipe just fine now with mediums and lights, and im ok with that.

#9 John80sk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 375 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:54 AM

In all honesty I think I liked the victor jumpsniping meta more than the gauss/lazors meta we have now. Poptarting was boring as hell in the Highlander days (too static), but the victor meta was at least highly mobile. It also allowed one good player to really carry a PuG match regardless of the actions of his team, which was nice. That said, the poptart meta still sucked. It was fairly skill based, but it kindof made anything that wasn't a poptart into pure cannon fodder.

I have no real problem with poptarts existing as part of the meta, and I think PGI really addressed the problem incorrectly. Jumpjets were kind of collateral damage that nobody wanted (I mean really, who actually likes hoverjets), and PPC's should have had their cooldown adjusted instead of their velocity. With velocity there's pretty much two categories: projectiles that move fast enough to hit in their range band, and those that don't. Cooldown on the other hand is a number that can be fine tuned.

Ideally the "meta" will consist of several types of 12 man drop decks who's efficacy is determined by the map, enemy team composition, and most of all player actions.

#10 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 22 April 2015 - 08:59 AM

I say none of the above. I'd rather have a "meta" that mixes all the tactical and weapon options in the game. Where no one thing becomes the "main meta" of the game. I want most any weapon to have a viable place in the game, and every equipment/module be useful. I'd love to see all play styles be effective. (Example: No specific Laser loadout is more effective than an AC loadout or LRM/missile loadout. Each would have a place, a use and a strength and a weakness compared to the others.)

View Postcdlord, on 22 April 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

None of the above?

The Stock Mech Monday group proposed a stock public mode. We were shot down (last town hall). We were told that a private stock mode option may become available instead... But you still wont earn anything for those matches and you still need to have two premium time users (on for each team) if you run beneath the full team sizes...

#11 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,806 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:01 AM

My Summoner can jump snipe moderatley well. Not like it used to but if you jump / peek / jump / peek it still works well.

#12 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:04 AM

View PostJohn80sk, on 22 April 2015 - 08:54 AM, said:

... Jumpjets were kind of collateral damage that nobody wanted (I mean really, who actually likes hoverjets), ...

Agreed. I don't like the hoverjets we currently have. I want JJs to be a quick up and a quick down. Let it burst you up quickly (but have less "fuel" per jump so the height remains the same). This will stop the small skips some people use to mess up hit boxes (a tap could send you decently into the air, throwing off your own aim as well as the enemies), and would make Jump Sniping possible, but difficult as you'd be in the air for less time. No need for JJ shake, which seems to have ill effects on some players (or it would be reduced because of less time with the jets turned on.)

#13 CDLord HHGD

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:04 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 22 April 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

Would a stock game mode be good enough?

So a returne to the good jump jets for jump brawling etc but with other mechanics to keep the jump sniping away.

Well, there is a lot of opposition in these forums to a stock game mode outside of anything but a private match. I say that's not good enough, the matches should count for something. Don't get me wrong though, Quirks reinforcing stock builds would not force people to play those builds. Since everyone universally agrees that stock mechs are under par, then it only makes sense that their stock builds get the reinforcement.

#14 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

View PostDONTOR, on 22 April 2015 - 09:01 AM, said:

My Summoner can jump snipe moderatley well. Not like it used to but if you jump / peek / jump / peek it still works well.

So does my Enforcer. ;)

#15 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:05 AM

No, laservomit meta is a cause of Clanballistics being horrible stream weapons. streamweapons that are heavy, and ammo dependned. why would anyone sane use them? Hardly many do, because medium and below mechs can hardly make proper use of them, especially those with fixed DHS, and equipment.

But Jumpsniping was boring and bad as well. Many Clanmechs with fixed equip need some Ballistic ammo buffs. SMN, NVA. they all can not mount a proper ballistic + ammo + backupweapons. Shadowcat will have similar issues, 6 fixed JJ's meaning 3 tons blocked that are vital ammo count. So how should the Laservomit meta end if there are no propper B builds available for clans?

#16 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:09 AM

Not sure how jump sniping and laser vomit are related at all. Were manatees and idea balls used in the construction of this post?

#17 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:10 AM

At least 5. The rest suggest building up one style to the detriment of the other possible builds.
#5 merely suggests making thrust work again.but keeping strudel mechs from rising to the occasion :3

#18 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:15 AM

Jump sniping meta isn't necessary to have good jump jets again. They can be mutually exclusive, as well they should be.

#19 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

View Postcdlord, on 22 April 2015 - 09:04 AM, said:

Well, there is a lot of opposition in these forums to a stock game mode outside of anything but a private match. I say that's not good enough, the matches should count for something. Don't get me wrong though, Quirks reinforcing stock builds would not force people to play those builds. Since everyone universally agrees that stock mechs are under par, then it only makes sense that their stock builds get the reinforcement.

This. People will make dual ac20/gauss out of ac5 slots they can, but those that want to do stock/stock+ would benefit more, and really should. Wait till we get to more of the 3055+TRO mechs, a good number of them are optimized (much less shs/xl engine shenanigans) specifically due to the invasion, and will perform much better out of the box, well except ballistics mechs, usually only have 2 tons of ammo, but will only need a little tweaking here and there. Stock with endo/dhs/possible xl built in will leave less room for optimizing in future mechs though.

Edited by Frosty Brand, 22 April 2015 - 09:17 AM.

#20 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:16 AM

Do I want to see the return of jump sniping?

NO. NEVER. NOPE.

If that ever returns I'm likely to be done with MWO for good. It wasn't tactical, it wasn't Battletech, it wasn't mechwarrior, it wasn't anything other than blatant exploitation of the jump jet system.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users